Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"He's in there laughing maniacally with total disregard for his own life. Y'know, normal crook stuff."

This game owns already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part III: Help

Cauliflower Roof. Nope... that name ain’t getting any stupider, even after 30 minutes of hearing it regularly...

It wouldn’t be a Suda51 game if there wasn’t some vintage moon imagery. I guess this actually would be footage of the moon from 1999. Very authentic. No expenses spared.

Music: Cauliflower

Garcia? I’ve got you locked. I haven’t found the target. He may be hiding in a blind spot. Move with caution. What happened to Sakamoto and Inomata? Have they gone in for backup?

Well... going for back-up. That’s one way you could put it... Ditched and MIA respectively would be more accurate. But no need to report any of that. Let’s just carry on. We can probably take this guy we’re vaguely intent on shooting. Probably.

But first and far more importantly, time to snatch another free Comic Beam issue off the ground out here. Avid Reader achievement unlocked! And that ends the collectables for the entirety of the game. Yeah... not sure what the point was either. This was made in a far more innocent time before the complete global saturation of collectables.

The rooftop just consists of the central room we began in and a circular pathway around the perimeter of the rooftop.

On the north end of the walkway, there is a maintenance ladder leading to the top level of the room. We can run as many laps as we want, get some real good cardio in. But continuing with zero back-up up a ladder seems the choice course of action. Garcia knows what he’s doing.

Don’t do anything stupid.

Turns out the ladder leads to the central computer room of the complex where we find...

Music: ENDS

So we found the AWOL survivor from earlier. Not sure how she managed to slip past Garcia and Sakamoto while covertly infiltrating past several code locked doors and onto the roof. ...Or where she acquired the severed head. Let’s see if she’s calmed down at all since our last encounter... I’m told decapitated heads have a strangely potent calming effect on hysterical women. Strange but true.

What happened?!

Well... at least she’s stopped screaming...

Garcia, leave them for now. Got it? Don’t gently caress this up. The target is hiding close by.

I feel like leaving this clearly traumatized lady unattended has already been loving things up pretty severely. But you’re the boss, chief. We’ll just leave her with those super computers and someone’s head and climb on downstairs again.

Welp. I think we hosed up...

New Music: Lunatics
(This sounds like something Akira Yamaoka had sitting leftover on his shelf from Silent Hill)

...Yeah. Definitely feelin’ like we hosed up here. Natsume, got any advice?

Don’t hesitate!! Shoot the motherfucker!!!

Alright, let’s see... We’ve got to hit I to get back to our inventory and... poo poo, the comic book is still selected. Hold on! Let me scroll through this... Ugh, I’m still carrying that portable control panel? Where’s the discard button.

The game doesn’t mention this ever, but this guy is Ryo Kazan, who was one of the protagonists from the earlier mentioned Suda51 game, Moonlight Syndrome. The decapitated head he was carrying around apparently belongs to his sister, who he was boning before she died...? Long story, I’m sure. The woman we keep running into is named Rumi Touba, who was also a character from that game. But...

GUNSHOT!

But don’t worry about needing to know any of that, cuz he’s dead now.

...this falls under our jurisdiction. Don’t act without our permission.
You hear that from Natsume? Is that it, Natsume?
The chief has nothing to do with this. We hold the disposal rights for this target. This doesn’t concern you.
So this is how you wanna handle it? This isn’t fuckin’ high school, Natsume. Is this what you wanted to do? Answer me, BITCH!!
Chief, who is this rear end in a top hat anyway?!
The Kotobuki Syndicate.
Kotobuki?!
Drop the lovely nicknames. It’s the 24 Wards Heinous Crimes Unit— The same as you assholes. Like a disposal service.
So does that mean—it’s supposed to be OK? Chief?
Someone of your standing should probably shut the gently caress up now... It’s the guy who cut off your lead.
gently caress!
Well, that’s just how it is. Now clean things up here.

You there, the one that looks like a chinchilla.
You mean Garcia?
The gently caress should I know? The chinchilla. Why the hell didn’t you fire? You frozen in fear or something? You’re gonna get your rear end killed—

My face is burned into this guy’s eyeballs. These pieces of poo poo are hosed in the head. So don’t leave even a bit of skull. Wipe them the gently caress off of this plane of existence!

Kusabi unloads the rest of his pistol’s rounds into the suspect’s face to prove his point. He used the lens flare bullets, so you know he is serious.

You listen up, too, Straight-edge— Why’re we disposing of these guys? Any idea?
They’re criminals.
–So?
This guy is a killer!
I’m sick of this childish bullshit... You’re a funny guy, Natsume. You do some real unique poo poo.
Listen up. “Disposal” means cutting these motherfuckers out of this world. Get rid of their very existence, so nobody ever has to even see them again. This crime virus they’re spreading around, cut it off at the source. Annihilation of the self... That’s what we do—Tenacious. You guys take over from here. And watch your backs.

Some profound advice from Kusabi here. It's interrupted by uhh... Well...

Music: Lunatics

This creepy motherfucker is at it again.

Look! This is what crime brings. This is the demon brought on by their criminal powers.

Can you shoot him, Chinchilla? Can you take them on? Fire!! Destroy this very moment!

BANG!

Music: Rumi

Why won’t you leave us alone? We were finally able to be together! That woman is gone now!! Leave us alone!!
I finally understand... I won’t falter again. Bring the hammer down on these unforgivable bastards! Garcia, get rid of them!

New Music: Kill

I don’t want to die...
I just couldn’t take that woman anymore...
–That’s why I killed her!
What’s wrong with that?
She got in my way!
What’s wrong with killing her?!
gently caress you!
I’ll kill you all, too!
I’ll kill everyone!!!
I’LL KILL YOU!!!

BANG!

Music: Lunatics

So the sleeping lion has been awakened. This is gonna be a long journey...

New Music: Conclusion

...And that’s it for Case #0: Lunatics. What the gently caress was any of that about after Ryo ate it? Well...trails off...

In any case, we are now 8% done with the game! See you next time in Case #1: Decoyman!

Have some higher resolution art from the chapter as a going away present.

EDIT:

Video: The Silver Case Opening Movie (Original)

Here's the original PS1 intro to The Silver Case. The HD Remaster has a redone intro movie. I'll post that later on, since it's a bit more spoilery. The original intro is kind of odd since it's using some older versions of artwork than what made it in the game (Ryo is wielding a knife instead of a revolver for instance) and some outright cut content.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 1, 2016

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Well ain't that a fantastic tone-setter. And I got some thoughts on my mind regarding Moonlight Syndrome

It's hard for me to really comment on what Rumi was even rambling about there because all I really know about Moonlight Syndrome is the opening synopsis and the final cutscene, so I can't tell what the full context is. But the thing is that there was another main character from that game called Mika Kishi, who was apparently destined to die at some point but Ryo made a deal with a god (Mithra, I believe, who makes a cameo of no real importance during Killer7) to save her life because she looks like his dead sister. poo poo happens that ends the game with him clutching his dead sister's head in paper bag, wondering what happened to Mika, as her image appears inside a TV and...yeah I don't know, the whole thing is super hosed. And the special edition of this game came with a mini comic that basically takes the opening segment of Lunatics and expands it a bit, including a recreation of the ending from Moonlight Syndrome.

Also this is a bit meta but something I remember seeing from fansites and other places talking about Suda's earlier games and the whole "Kill the Past" motif that this game coined, the idea behind the Lunatics chapter was for Suda to basically wipe the slate clean so that he could move on with making the game he wanted to without any sort of baggage. After all, the Syndrome games were made at Human Entertainment, and during a recent interview Suda said that he wasn't able to do everything he wanted in Moonlight regarding subject matter due to the then recent Kobe Child Murders. With this being Grasshopper's first game and basically having full freedom to do what they want, I guess this was Suda's statement by killing off the remaining cast from Moonlight as they'd have no place in this new game and its cast of characters. Kusabi certainly thinks so, given his spiel about wiping out their existence and how Ryo and Rumi have been driven to do some bad poo poo of their own.

But again it's all fan theories so who knows if it holds ground or not. This is Suda51 after all. You kinda have to dig deep and grasp for things that aren't obvious. Either way, the rest of the game is all its own beast. The Moonlight Syndrome connections have pretty much ended with this chapter and now the real plot will begin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:eng101: Akira Yamaoka is the composer for Silent Hill. Akira Toriyama is the guy who made DBZ.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Well that was loving weird.

I'm not sure what to call it, but I see it crop up a lot in Japanese media. The whole thing where they'll repeat a single word or phrase with no spaces for several text boxes. Really gets under my skin cause it's always amazingly overdone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSQg1i_q2g

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Video: The Silver Case Opening Movie (Original)

Here's the original PS1 intro to The Silver Case. The HD Remaster has a redone intro movie. I'll post that later on, since it's a bit more spoilery. The original intro is kind of odd since it's using some older versions of artwork than what made it in the game (Ryo is wielding a knife instead of a revolver for instance) and some outright cut content.

IndestructibleCat
Jan 16, 2016
I'm really digging the music of the game. Apparently it's the same guy who did Danganronpa's soundtrack (and a lot of other Grasshopper games)

(sidenote) Hearing Garcia amongst all the other Japanese names is kinda funny

IndestructibleCat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 30, 2016

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm glad that video covered the most important thing about the characters: their favorite sidearm. A shame there doesn't seem to be any Mateba wielding detectives in this.

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
...What in the everloving gently caress is this?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Brainamp posted:

I'm not sure what to call it, but I see it crop up a lot in Japanese media. The whole thing where they'll repeat a single word or phrase with no spaces for several text boxes. R

It's actually just an artifact of how the Japanese language works. Conversational structure in Japanese has a lot of built in repetition and feedback loops to make sure a message is carried. To hammer in an idea in an unnerving way, you repeat it over and over again. It's a cultural thing.

Coincidentally, Japanese conversation structure is why Solid Snake starts sounding dumber in MGS2 onwards. MGS 1 had a more "liberal" translation that removed these loops. That ticked off purists enough that Konami went for more literal translations for the rest of the series so Snake's repeating a lot of stuff he was just told.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 31, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Decoyman was a real fucker in Mega Man 6.

I thought the opening seemed kind of tame for a Suda51 game but now here's crime ghosts infecting people or... something and I'm pretty on board with that. Bring on the weird crazy.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Thyself D. Mad posted:

...What in the everloving gently caress is this?

A proper Suda51 game reaction.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Nohman posted:

but now here's crime ghosts infecting people

Uh excuse me but it was clearly mentioned that this was caused by a crime virus, not a crime ghost. I can only assume that the crime virus is one of Umbrella's less well-known products.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Uh excuse me but it was clearly mentioned that this was caused by a crime virus, not a crime ghost. I can only assume that the crime virus is one of Umbrella's less well-known products.

It was a crime virus that produced a crime ghost. Cuz that thing that came out of whatshisface sure looks like some kinda freaky ghost. Fixin' to do crime.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I now have to wonder just what we look like to make Kusabi call us a chinchilla.

ArclightBorealis posted:

If Natsume had a full head of hair he would've looked like a Japanese Ned Flanders.

Strikes me more like someone who had one of those Groucho Marx disguises grafted to his face.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Kamui must have been some really bad news if somebody's listening for his name in the middle of an unhinged rant.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part IV: Awakened

New Music: Transmitter/Placebo
(Yo this is a pretty good jam)

Welcome back. Case #0: Lunatics is behind us. We’re now dumped on this menu. You see, there are actually two storylines in The Silver Case. “Transmitter” which consists of six cases (counting Lunatics, of course) which follows our boy Garcia and the characters introduced earlier. Transmitter is the “main” storyline, so to speak. “Placebo” is a parallel storyline consisting of five reports running concurrent to the events of Transmitter.

We’re not going to worry about the Placebo storyline right now. Mostly because it isn’t unlocked yet! We’ll be checking out that storyline after we finish this chapter. For now, let’s begin...

05:48 PM
Secret Meeting

The aforementioned secret meeting is between Kusabi and his cop friend Munakata. These meetings take place at least once a chapter. We won’t be learning Munakata’s deal for some time. Hell, he doesn’t actually get a proper character portrait for ages. I’m just fudging the details. Anyway...

(Kusabi) Huh? What the hell do you mean?
(Munakata) He’s gonna wake up.
Is this info from your place?
No... I don’t know that much.
Then, what?
Pocket money...
How greedy... Don’t overestimate civil servants. Overtime for this quarter is getting cut.
Fine, never mind then.
You son of a bitch, I’ll shoot your rear end dead where you stand...
Kidding, kidding... It’s just a hunch, but... I got my wisdom teeth pulled, right? At that time...
What one time?
Just before the “Silver” thing...
And? So what? You trying to tell me that your toothaches are supposed to be... some sort of antenna for poo poo about to go down or something?
Exactly!
What kinda jerkoff in this day and age believes that superstitious bullshit?
No really. I’m telling you... it’s accurate. You really should believe it.
Right about now, he’s taking life slow in the clink. Probably even gone and reformed himself by now...
Don’t underestimate what my teeth can do! I’m telling you, they’ve got a knack for this kind of “second sight”!
Ok then. I believe you! I don’t get it, but I believe you! So what am I supposed to do now?
Hmm...

Well... that was informative. And now for something completely different...

:siren: CLICK FOR VIDEO :siren:

March 1978
Central Police Designation Case #QF861 AKA “The Silver Case”
Arrested during commission of crime.

August 1984
Received diagnosis of “extremely high-level mental disorders”; criminal trial canceled.

September 1984
Decision made to apply special measures. Committed to the psych war at IMM Hospital in the 24 Wards. Began counseling and general “treatment”.
Length of period: Undisclosed.

The victim was Kamui’s personal counselor, Yuriko Sonada, 26. The weapon was similar to a customized harpoon gun.
Estimated time of death: Between 10:00 and 11:00pm.

At that time, a tracking surveillance satellite in geostationary orbit began tracking the “point” representing Kamui.

At 11:15pm of the same day, deployment of Public Security Department Special Forces Unit “Republic” was decided.
At 11:45pm, “Republic” arrives at the woods in E Ward, to which Kamui has escaped. “Operation Secure Kamui” begins.
By 11:55pm, “Republic” fails to secure Kamui. Two killed in duty; two injured.
Just past midnight at 12:38am on March 28th, the satellite track on Kamui disappears. Kamui is assumed to have gone underground in an untrackable area.

24 Wards Heinous Crimes Unit 2 Special Agents Tetsugoro Kusabi and Sumio Kodai head to the scene of the crime, IMM Hospital.

So two months after the events of a prologue, a legendary serial killer named Kamui is on the loose. Apparently, he had a run in with our friends from the Republic Not-SWAT Team and things went REAL bad. Let’s see what went down...

New Music: Tea Room (Ryo Arranged)

07:04 AM
Leg work

(Sumio) Excuse me?
No, it’s nothing... Just talking to myself.

(Dr. Unnamed Jerk) He seemed totally fine...
So that “totally fine” patient murdered his counselor and escaped? What a lovely fuckin’ story...
Any problems with the system of management?
There are always two security guards present. I don’t think there are any problems...
So you got two amateur-rear end rent-a-cops on a crazed serial killer? That’s basically like begging him to murder someone.
Kamui Uehara didn’t have the capacity to take care of himself normally. He has extremely debilitating mental disorders. He does not currently possess the capacity to kill or hurt anyone.
So he’s all broken down?
That’s a prejudiced viewpoint. There are cases which are not directly linked to mental breakdown.
Well, whatever... So the main point is “Kamui’s not here” then.
Thank you, doctor. We appreciate your cooperation.
I get it now... Some detectives really can be somewhat “difficult” individuals, just like on TV. This was fun—.
Same here. I guess there are quack doctors everywhere too, huh.
I’d sure like to be your personal physician. Anyway...

The doctor leaves...

It’s sort of your fault. You were pretty rude to him...

So anyway, say hello to our man Garcia. We don’t get to see his face too often, so take it in. He survived his encounter with Kamui but... well. he’s certainly seen some poo poo...

He’s been sitting here the whole time. Fuckin’ creepy...
He’s the sole survivor from Special Forces. Real name unknown. No registration found. We found signs of it having been deleted. His codename is “Garcia”.
Sounds pretty sketchy to me. What a hosed up story.
You’ve come into contact with him before, at “Cauliflower”.
Oh, you mean that Chinchilla... So you’re saying only he came back alive?
Commander Natsume is currently in the ICU...
I know. Natsume isn’t gonna die.

And scene... Now we’re going to abruptly back up a few hours to see what the hell went wrong with the Republic team’s operation. I hope the tactical dad van survived the incident...

Target, All-Points Bulletin #515977836. Our goal is to bring Kamui Uehara in alive. The target is thought to be armed. We don’t know what sort of weapon. Armament level Z—
Bring him in...? If we’re capturing him with Z-level armaments, then why...
Save your questions for later. I’ll continue.
But!
These are orders from the top! Just follow them! Don’t think! Keep your poo poo together!
Got it
OK.

The good ol’ 24 Satellite has our back. Just think... in just two years’ time it’ll be broadcasting the exploits of Jack Bauer across the planet.

Lure the target to Point GF03 and secure him. Clean everything up within the 100-second countdown after we begin. That is all.
About the armaments...
What is it, Sakamoto?
What if it’s difficult to bring him in alive?
Our main goal is to bring him in alive.
We... We’re gonna find ourselves at an extreme disadvantage...
This plan needs a guaranteed unit survival rate of 60% in order to be approved. Fill in the remaining 40% yourselves.
Got it!
Depending on the situation, I may join you. Good luck.

He’s only one guy. This’ll be no problem. Right—
Look at Garcia. This guy has wiped out his emotions.
Don’t equate me with him. Frigid bastard...
Then loving control yourself. Otherwise you’re just gonna die.
Die, huh...? I’m gonna die? Just me...?
Inomata!!
Even at Cauliflower, only I got shot... By some regular citizen... That little punk bastard...
It’s because you underestimate the power of crime! Even a normal citizen, if their desire to hunt a person is high enough, has the power to commit a crime. They can even be tougher than us. You get that, right? Inomata, you were bested in terms of that power.
It’s impossible... I can’t...
You need to have more criminal power than the target. Disposal is the same as crime. Just hunt the target—Keep that in mind!
I can’t lose! If I think of it as hunting, I can’t be beat!
It’s the same as training. As far as the ability to secure a target goes, Inomata, you’re better than anyone.
I know!
Ok... You ready, too, Garcia?

C'mon you red shirt motherfuckers, Garcia was born ready!

Let’s do this thing...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 3, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Holy poo poo it's the 90's all over again. Yeah, I know TDI said that earlier, but seeing is believing.

And fortune-telling teeth? Honestly, not much better than fortune-telling fried eggs.

Oh god, it's so weird, trying to fight it hurts my head.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm sorry, I'm still cracking up at the idea of "criminal power" being a concept.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

I'm sorry, I'm still cracking up at the idea of "criminal power" being a concept.

What's the conversion to joules on that one?

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

bman in 2288 posted:

What's the conversion to joules on that one?
I believe it's something like 0.0051 joules to 1 point of Criminal Power, and it takes about 19,607.84 points of Criminal Power to equal 1 Kamui.

I'm an expert, trust me on this.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Wait... hold up. Where did this Kamui guy get a hold of a customized harpoon gun while in the psyche ward?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
We're only four updates in and I'm already hopelessly lost :cripes:

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Yyyyep, this is definitely a Suda51 game alright. Looking forward to seeing how weird this trip is gonna get!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The way they talk about crime seems very...Japanese, even disregarding "criminal power". Like the reasons people turn to crime or break the law are completely baffling and not something easily traceable to circumstance and background.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

The way they talk about crime seems very...Japanese, even disregarding "criminal power". Like the reasons people turn to crime or break the law are completely baffling and not something easily traceable to circumstance and background.

I don't think I follow. You mean that the Japanese romanticize the concept of falling into crime, or am I misreading that? Because all I know of Japanese crimes is that their justice system sucks if you're accused of something.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I am so confused. And not even the normal level of Suda51 confused, this is a level of confused I reserved for a hypothetical situation where Hideo Kojima and Taro Yoko make a game together. I really hope alot of this poo poo get explained.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Blackunknown posted:

I am so confused. And not even the normal level of Suda51 confused, this is a level of confused I reserved for a hypothetical situation where Hideo Kojima and Taro Yoko make a game together. I really hope alot of this poo poo get explained.

I'm gonna disagree that Kojima and Yoko would make a game that's this purposefully confusing. In fact, I don't recall Taro Yoko making a confusing game, his games are relatively straight-forwards, compared to this.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Kojima and Taro Yoko really like misdirection and delayed explanations, but generally speaking they're straightforward in how they tell stories in their games. Suda, on the other hand, tries to be as obtuse as possible. He wants his audience to fill in the blanks, but he also paints huge signs that point at the blanks and read, "THIS IS A BLANK, BUT WHY IS THIS A BLANK". It's one of the reasons his games are so difficult to forget.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bman in 2288 posted:

I don't think I follow. You mean that the Japanese romanticize the concept of falling into crime, or am I misreading that? Because all I know of Japanese crimes is that their justice system sucks if you're accused of something.

Japan is pretty low on violent crime, so when something does happen, it becomes this huge bleeding wound in their national psyche.

Every big violent crime is Columbine to them, if that makes sense.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Japan is pretty low on violent crime, so when something does happen, it becomes this huge bleeding wound in their national psyche.

Every big violent crime is Columbine to them, if that makes sense.

Oooooooooh, okay. That does make sense.

Are their cops as foul-mouthed as they are in this game?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Have tomorrow's update early cuz I'm busy with air travel.

Part V: Casualties

–OK. Turn your radios to channel 2. We’ll move on zero count. Execute the mission. We’ll enter formation once we find the target. Sakamoto, you move ahead until we find the target.

New Music: Mission

11:45 PM
Follow the Trail

For this mission, Garcia finds himself in a dark woods. We’re advancing in formation to track down this Kamui jerk. We’ve got a little radar for this operation. The green blip in the middle is Garcia. Sakamoto and his mustache is to the right. Inomata is to the left. Natsume is hanging back and thus doesn’t get a dot.

All we’re doing to begin is continuing down the path northward. Deviating from the path will make Natsume get pissed and yell at us (we cannot actually deviate from the path.) There’s an achievement for following orders perfectly.

OK. Spread out and lure the target to GF03.
Got it. Inomata, get to my left. Garcia, follow the radar directions. Don’t be late.
Got it.

A red blip has appeared on the map, indicating bad man Kamui. Radars can detect these sort of things. An arrow indicating what direction we need to advance has also appeared. We’re just gonna follow that north until it tells us otherwise.

After a few paces...

Got it.
Sakamoto, do you read me? Get some distance!
—Is this thing broken? The displayed distance and visual distance don’t match.
Inomata, Garcia, do you read me? Confirm target distance with your scopes. Hurry up!
Target lost—Currently at... Huh?!

RADIO CUTS OUT. GUNSHOTS.

What’s going on? Sakamoto, respond!
SAKAMOTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
CHIIIIEEEEF!!!!! Sakamoto’s callback...!
Continue the mission. Everyone keep your distance and follow the target. Keep this distance till I join you.
CHIIIEEEEF! YOU BASTARD...!!!
Keep following the mission. Don’t gently caress around, you idiot!
gently caress OOOOOFF!!!!! I’LL HUNT HIIIIIIM!!!!
—Garcia. Continue following the radar!

Welp. This is already going well. The radar now directs us east a few paces and then back north to Sakamoto’s last known position. Where we find...

Sorry, chief. He didn’t make it. Neither did the mustache...

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress!
?!
loving Kamui!
I’m heading towards Garcia’s point. Inomata, be careful and move ahead.
Inomata, do you read me?
Answer me, Inomata!
Do you wanna die?!
We’re going up against Kamui! Keep calm!
Inomata! You, too!?
I’ll kill him...
Garcia, move forward! Don’t let Inomata die!

Alright, well Sakamoto has ate it. Maybe we can still save Inomata. You know... except for how we know two people died in the operation that weren’t named Garcia or Natsume... Hmm...

Anyway, continuing north a few paces and...

Be sure to collect my body. Even if we end up killing each other...
Inomata, get back to the mission. Don’t let Sakamoto die in vain.
Disobeying orders will get your rear end done! Remain calm!
Chief... Thanks for everything.

RADIO CUTS OUT. GUNSHOTS.

Hey, maybe he just dropped his radio. And his rifle. And the rifle went off comically like in movies. It’s possible...

Now we head west towards Inomata’s last known location. Kamui’s angry red blip has vanished from the radar. It’s probably fine... Probably...

Move to point GF04. Fall back. The mission has failed. I repeat. The mission has failed.

Alright. We’re bugging out. “Protocol: CHEEZE IT!” is now in effect. We’re turning right the hell around and booking in the direction we came. Where...

Music: END

We lost two; the mission failed. There are no excuses... Retreat. We can’t allow any further sacrifices. I let my subordinates die like that.
Garcia... Laugh at me, will you? The only thing this old man can do is get his revenge. Kamui will be showing up soon. Right here...
Garcia... Do you know the phrase “flower, sun, and rain”? The answer is inside Kamui. Don’t let him get to you. Kamui isn’t here. Kamui is right next door. Kamui is just peeking in. You get me? Garcia. It’s time we said goodbye. Take care...

BANG!

And scene. Garcia managed to survive that physically unscathed, but not in the best place emotionally. Natsume ended up getting his poo poo kicked in but survived. We never see Natsume again. He’s basically written out of the plot, despite his survival.

Anyway, back to present time...

Music: Tea Room (Arranged)

09:21 AM
Records Investigation

So you remember, right? The Special Forces Unit was destroyed... What happened?
Tetsu, come on...
What?
He isn’t right...
Hey, you listening?
He’s in a state of psychosis. I don’t think he can speak.
—Looks like it.
What do we do?
I guess we got no choice...
Should we head out?
The gently caress are you talking about? Turn on the recorder.
You’re right—Hm? It won’t work, the battery’s dead.
Well that’s useless. Whatever, write this all down.
OK...

Well? You even forget this guy’s face?

The game doesn’t make this entirely clear, but this is a photo of Kamui from 20 years ago. He uhh... was going for a different look back then...

Quit loving around with the recorder like a little kid.
gently caress off, old man. I know.
The gently caress you say to me, rear end in a top hat? I’ll blow your fuckin’ head off!
Fine, whatever, just ask the questions...
I know... Eight hours ago, the guy you guys were chasing. Kamui escaped to the woods near the isolation ward. Then, there was a chase. Special Forces was destroyed. Sakamoto and Inomata were killed in the line of duty... Natsume is still out cold in the ICU...
Tetsu...
Hm? So one more push, huh?
Don’t.
Why not?
He’s extremely delicate. Any more and...
Delicate?

BEEP BEEP BEEP!

New Music: Investigation

(Hachisuka) Where’s Kusabi?
He’s here.
It’s an emergency. Get to the scene right away.
Where to?
Sending it over now. See you at the scene...
Wait...

The radio cuts off...

What should we do?
We go, obviously.
No, I mean...
What?
Garcia...
Hm? What do we do about this?
He’s the sole witness.
So we bring him.
But without Dr. Tachibana’s permission.
gently caress that guy.
This isn’t something personal!
gently caress off.
Seriously?
Come on. We’re going.

Chinchilla? That’s kind of a lovely nickname after all... This guy, he’s got a face like a fuckin’ private detective. In that case... Maybe, like... “Private Dick Chinchilla”—
No, that’s not it. He’s sort of a big guy... “Big Private Dick Chinchilla”—?
Nope, that sucks... I got it! Just shorten it to “Big Dick”! “Big Dick”? “Big Dick”... That’s a cool-sounding nickname. That’s it, then – Big Dick! What do you think, Sumio?
That’s awesome!

And that’s how Garcia became Big Dick. Yes, that nickname will actually stick for some time. To the point Kusabi and other detectives will get confused when we're referred to Garcia because clearly, we are...

BIG DICK

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 1, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So I wasn't that confused reading this latest update. Then we get to our rechristening, and I'm flabbergasted again.

BIG DICK.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
The villain's name is Kamui, huh? Here's hoping this isn't a disaster like Psycho Pass 2.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

This fuckin' game. You've got my attention, Suda.

BIG DICK

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, Garcia loving Hotspur has officially gotten his Big Boner.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So inside Kamui is another weird game. Huh.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is all this profanity in the original version? I want to know if I have to thank Suda or some unknown hero behind the translation of this game

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I hope one day I'm cool enough to get nicknamed BIG DICK.

Also, I had no idea what the heck a chinchilla was. Turns out it is a cute little rodent that native to Chile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

BIG DICK was the moment I knew this game was absolutely worth waiting all these years for it to come out in English. Kusabi feels so proud in his ability to give nicknames, even Sumio is down with that.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Is all this profanity in the original version? I want to know if I have to thank Suda or some unknown hero behind the translation of this game
Reports points to Suda overlooking the whole localization, and given his other games and their English scripts I'm pretty sure he signed off on everything.

It's interesting considering that Japan doesn't really have swear words the same way we do in the west, but I guess he felt it was appropriate insofar as replicating the tone of the original. At the very least, everything in the script up to this point has fit pretty well I'd say.

• Locked thread