Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

The Dark Id posted:

Part IX: Closet
Has there been contact?
What sort of contact?
From Kamui. Has there been contact?
To me?
Yes, you.
Are you seriously asking?
Why?
Like, here, right?
Yes.
Contact from Kamui?
Yes.
Nope.

Is it too soon to say I love this game? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
those are some lovely conversation skills Sumio

Also no way Kamui gets resolved like this.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like long meandering conversations that mean nothing punctuated with a fairly major plot point at the end are a Suda 51 staple, and it's good to see he did that even back then :unsmith:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Well, that was sudden. I was expecting our detectives to have to chase him for a bit longer. Unless it's a random possessing ghost, not the dude, of course.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, you better be careful. That Kamui's probably stored up all his criminal power and he's going to unleash it on the first thing that crosses his path.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part IX: Shelter

Music: 24 Wave

Do you think Sumio and Big Dick properly arrested and handcuffed Kamui? Or did they just shrug and stuff the bondage gear wrapped Kamui into Sumio’s trunk like an old carpet?

04:57 PM_

Time to sit down and have a nice chat with Kamui. I don’t know about you all, but I’ve got some questions. Like where the hell did he get that harpoon gun from...?

The legend himself is right before our eyes.
He’s keeping quiet.
“Keeping quiet”? I get the impression that he can’t speak.
Aphasic deficit? Just like his medical report. Hyposthenic disorder...
drat. He’ll be taken away by the medical guys.
We can buy time. We’ll lock down the station. I’ll prevent info from getting through to Central.
Please do.
We’re counting on you.
What about the woman who found him?
In the meeting room.
How is she?
Nothing particular to report...
She doesn’t seem too shaken up. She’s got some balls on her, that one. She’d hold her own against Hachisuka.
Hachisuka, stay with her. We don’t know if she’ll suddenly lose it.
“Lose it”?
She says she locked Kamui up in order to kill him.
Kill him? What are you talking about?
Revenge. As her partner, he betrayed her. And he started killing again, too. Those three women...
Then why didn’t she just hurry up and kill him?
Yeah... The target of her vengeance was right in front of her. So if she wanted to kill him so badly...
Killing a person isn’t so simple. Just keep an eye on her for the time being.
OK.

Hachisuka leaves the Interrogation Room...

Nothing in particular. Just a few mouth movements.
You can lip-read, can’t you? So what’s the word?
The word “shelter” over and over.
“Shelter”?
I don’t know what it’s supposed to mean. Maybe some sort of guidance?
—The shelter area?
Wanna go check it out?
No, it may be a trap. We can’t move lightly.
That’ true.
A clue...
If Kamui can’t speak, then further detainment may be pointless...
Yeah, I agree. We’re getting nothing from Kamui. Apart from the fact that he killed someone...
Then maybe we should hand him over to Central...
We can’t do that.
We can’t?
According to Naka, Central knows we’ve captured Kamui.
How does Central know...
He’s here on Central’s orders.
What? What’s Central trying to...
Maybe they’re purposely keeping him at arm’s length... In some sort of scheme.
Scheme...? What is this, a TV show?
So it’s the end of the line...

It would be dangerous to get her close to Kamui...
It’ll be fine. She won’t kill him or anything.
She did try to kill him, you know...
Hold on... But she didn’t kill him, did she? Are you sure she really was trying to kill him?
?
Why would she have to lock him up in her house? And why was she the only one Kamui didn’t kill?
Apparently he was passed out in front of her door... Maybe he was too exhausted from all that action?
That doesn’t make sense... Maybe it isn’t that he didn’t kill her, but that he couldn’t kill her...
That’s how he was found. I wouldn’t be surprised if he simply wasn’t able to kill her.
That’s now it... Kamui has been like that for a long time now...
You mean ever since he escaped?
Yeah. He isn’t capable of killing anyone like that.
He had a weapon.
That’s not what I mean; I mean he he’s physically unable.
Physically?
What about his medical records?
I check them.
What did they say?
A lot...
No, I mean about his condition when he was apprehended.
Hyposthenic disorder... Incapable of living on his own.
Well then, how was he able to escape?
Maybe he was faking it?
You think he’d be able to fool modern medical technology? He may be a criminal, but...
Yes, that would be impossible.
Yeah, that’s just his “shell”. He doesn’t have the power to kill anyone. He hasn’t killed anybody.
We’re talking about Kamui, though...
He isn’t some kind of ghost, you know. He’s just a man.
A legend is a legend.
Well then who... No way...?
What was Kamui doing while he was on the run?
He was locked up...
Why would he need to be locked up?
In order to make the crimes look like Kamui had committed them...
Bingo!

BANG!

Hachisuka!
poo poo!!

Music: ENDS

So I guess Big Dick has just been standing here having a staring contest with Kamui the entire time Sumio and Morikawa have been chatting.

...We probably ought to head on out of the interrogation room and see what’s making the gunfire ruckus outside, eh?

Oh Christ...
I’ll contact the Medical Unit.
Let’s go, Garcia! There’s only one place Ayame would go. The shelters!

So Ayame managed to either grab Hachisuka’s gun or had one on her person, shoot her, flee from the top floor of a police precinct, jack a car, and drive half way across the city. I’m starting to think the 24 Wards may not have the most competent police force here... Anyway, Sumio and Big Dick follow up the only lead they have and hope Ayame has fled to the Division Shelter for... some reason.

Music: Investigation

07:50 PM
Investigation_

She’s gotta be here. Garcia, let’s split up and look for her. I’ll check around the back. You start checking the front. Keep in contact via radio.

Welcome to the Shelter Exhibition Hall. We’re now left with a whole mess of options as to where we are going to investigate. Though... not really... For two reason, really. One: Sumio will get incredibly pissed at Garcia if he investigates Shelters 5-8. He’s doing that. And two: We... have to search every single one of ‘em anyway. So... let’s get right on it, starting with...

Music: ENDS. Replaced with ambient airflow noise.

Number 1_

Inside the Shelter is a rather futuristic looking set-up that looks like it would be right at home in the copy and pasted tileset of a Bethesda Fallout game. Though, these “Shelters” are NOT, in fact, in case of a nuclear war. Their use won’t be elaborated on for a while.

Past the initial spiral staircase and opening hall, we come to an antechamber with doors leading South, East, and West. I’ll go over the layout of the Shelters now because... well... they all have the EXACT same layout with zero alterations and we’ll be poking our heads in like eight of ‘em.

The southern room, straight ahead of the entrance hall, just leads to a big empty storeroom filled with a whole lotta nothin’.

The northern chamber to the right of the entrance hall leads to a living area with a couch, a small table, and a computer monitor mounted to the wall.

And finally, to the east/left of the entrance hall is the bathroom. There you have it. The layout of a Shelter.

As for Shelter #1... yeah, there was gently caress all in this one. That was entirely a waste of time! But, we’ve got to explore each and every shelter to trigger the next plot flag. So, on we go to...

Shelter #2! While we can speed up the walking animations, unfortunately the initial 15 second animation of Big Dick climbing down the stairs when entering and another 10 seconds of him going up when leaving is entirely unskippable. This section of the game is *kinda* tedious. And as such, I’ll just be skipping straight to points of interest.

This time around the Shelter is not entirely empty. There is a Contact Point found in the living area of Shelter Number 2. Let’s see what we’ve got...

Creepy little girl laughter.

I know she’ll come here. There’s nobody at home, and it’s kinda fun here.

Err... right then. Just a little girl hanging out in this underground techno prison. Nothing to worry about. Garcia isn’t going to bother mentioning that to Sumio or do anything about the lone child. He’s just going to make his way back to the surface and move on to...

Shelter Number 3! Spoilers: There’s not a goddamn thing in Shelter Number 3!

So let’s scoot on over to the fourth Shelter and see if we have better luck there...

As luck would have it, this vault has a Contact Point in the bathroom. Hopefully it’s not someone dropping a deuce and Big Dick just bumbling in uninvited.

Creepy little girl laughter.

It’s such a cute doll. I’ve been looking for it but I can’t find it. And mommy won’t come home. I’m gonna get in trouble but I came here by myself to look. That’s OK, right?

Yeah, sure, kiddo. That’s fine. You do you. Cannot say we’ve seen your doll anywhere... Uhh... unless it’s about the size of a storefront mannequin and you were playing near a sewer recently... Nah. That’d be irresponsible. Anyway, let’s head on back to the surface and see what’s crackin’ with Sumio’s half of the investigation.

What the hell... Looks like we’ll have to check one more time. Get on it.

Yeah... No thanks, Sumio. The game wants us to search all the Shelters again. But we’ll just skip to the chase: We have to search Shelter #2 a second time.

Returning to Number 2, a new Contact Point has appeared in the previously empty southern store room of this shelter. Lemme guess. Is it another creepy child...?

Distant children laughing.

The scary person comes, and it’s so scary, and so I was hiding here so they won’t find me.

Cool story, kid. You haven’t seen an armed pretty lady running around here? No? Oh well, I got other poo poo to do then, kiddo.

OK, that’s enough for that area. Check the two shelters to the left of the one in back. I’ll meet up with you later. Get on it.

Alright, Sumio. That was worded a bit awkwardly. But, our partner wants us to search Shelter 5 & 6 now. But really, we only need to do Shelter Number 5.

What, you still don’t get it? Our mark is in the back there. Anyway, you really helped. This is my job from here on.
Garcia... It sucks, huh? Not being able to protect the one you love...

Uhh... If you say so. I mean, we’re all hurting over the loss of Sakamoto’s mustache, but... We should probably check out this final Contact Point before we get all deep dive on our feelings, eh?

New Music: Furuya and Nakama

I am a detective, so...
Nice work.
Thanks.
Kill me...
?
I’d be happy to have you kill me.
Are you coming onto me?
Yes, after this is all over...
That would be great.
Wouldn’t it? Let’s hurry and finish this.
I can’t kill you.
Let me go...
I can’t.
Hurry...
I can’t.
Even if I kill the kids?
Don’t do it.
Then you’d better shoot.
I can’t do that either.
Aren’t you a man?
Yeah, but...
I don’t like this.
What?
This kind of thing...
Are you nervous?
That’s not what I mean...
Then what?
Leaving things incomplete like this.
Incomplete? What is?
You’re kinda slow, huh?
Me?
Yeah.
Slow?
Slow.
Things will be incomplete for me, too...
I’m kinda happy.
Really?
Yeah...
OK then, can I ask you something?
What?

You mean, like, my age?
Yes.
Why?
Just because.
You’re asking a lady her age?
I wasn’t really able to ask before, so...
Same as me.
You’re 26?
Yeah, so there’s no need to be extra polite.
Is that why you were so courteous?
Well, I didn’t want to be rude
That’s weird.
Yeah, it is.
—Those kids.
Hm?
They’re Kamui’s kids.
What?
The kids of those women I killed... Three of them... So I got my revenge.
I was so sad...
I thought about killing the kids, too, but...
I couldn’t.
That’s good...
I hope so...
I mean, murdering someone...
You really are kinda slow.
Huh?
I’m so glad I met you...

Music: ENDS

Children’s laughter.

Our friend...
No, our brother!
He’s in there.
I can hear him.
Oh yeah, he’s laughing.

What’s wrong?
No, it’s nothing. I felt I saw something in Kamui’s expression...
In this plastic mask?
Yeah... He looked really sad.
Morikawa, you’re such a romanticist. And good at making stuff up, too.
No, seriously... Just now, look...

And scene. Tune in next time when we wrap-up this chapter of The Silver Case.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2016

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am surprised they didnt find her dead
I am surprised they didnt find anyone dead

but great security guys!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

IN THE DARK FAR FUTURE OF 1999

A SERIAL KILLER STALKS THE STREETS OF THE 24 WARDS

AND THE ONLY THING BETWEEN THE PEOPLE OF TOKYO AND DEATH

IS THE DUMBEST COPS YOU'VE EVER MET.

THIS SUMMER

SUDA GOICHI PRESENTS:

COPS ARE MORONS

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 8, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Where do you even go to train at using a bullshit serial killer harpoon gun, anyway?

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Glazius posted:

Where do you even go to train at using a bullshit serial killer harpoon gun, anyway?

Played a lot of Dead Space 2, maybe?

Wait no, 1999. Welp!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I read a review of this game that said that if Suda represents the rare auteur game designer, which he totally did at one point, then Silver Case is his student film, more of a mission statement than a complete work, and that really puts words to the feeling I get from this game.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Nevermind.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 15, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder exactly when kamui became catatonic? depending on when it started he either slept around a lot or got raped a lot.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I am confused by a lot in that scene, but especially by the flirting with the serial killer.

Also i don't understand why Garcia is in this game. He's an almost silent almost irrelevant character in a game with almost no gameplay. Maybe that will change? It's like you're watching a movie and every scene has this guy standing off to the side, doing nothing and saying nothing.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Qrr posted:

Also i don't understand why Garcia is in this game. He's an almost silent almost irrelevant character in a game with almost no gameplay. Maybe that will change? It's like you're watching a movie and every scene has this guy standing off to the side, doing nothing and saying nothing.

That's probably the intended effect.The Dark Id mentioned in his LP of Final Fantasy: Dirge of Cerberus that he felt sort of the same way about Vincent in that game, but I doubt that was intentional. It's probably a commentary of the position of the player/avatar in videogame storylines or some such.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part X: Alone

Back we go to the hospital where we started this chapter. Full circle and all that.

Music: Tea Room (Ryo Arrange)

09:15 AM
Custody Center_

We’re visiting a very different part of the hospital this go around. All there is to do here is pass by the security checkpoint and shove Garcia’s face into the holding cell at the end of the hall.

Kamui is just gonna go ahead and pop his shirt off – maybe start glowing a bit. He likes to make himself comfortable while in custody.

Presumably, Big Dick is just checking out Kamui’s bod for the duration of this next scene, seeing as we jump back to Office 24.

She’ll likely get the death penalty. Kamui’s children have been put into a facility. And... The secret of Kamui’s birth has finally been discovered.
Finally?
Yes... It was designated top secret, so it was pretty tough. And there were casualties, but...
Someone got killed?
Four people.
gently caress.
So where was it found?
An FSO paper company.
FSO? Remnants of the Frontier Conservationists...
You mean the Frontier Conservation Alliance?
That’s their old name, but yes. The ghosts of the FSO.
They had Kamui?
They managed him. That’s where we learned where Kamui was from.
The file says Cape Kamui...
A complete fabrication.
So his ID, they just made that up?
Kamui was born in the shelters.
Shelters? You mean, those shelters?
“The Shelter Kids Policy”. I don’t know about the details, but I assume the goal was personality development via management training.
Raising them into special people who can survive in specialized environments.
Possibly... You hear a lot of that stuff on the east side.
Twenty years ago, that project was put into action. When Kamui was four years old.
So he was raised in those shelters.
The shelter exhibition area opened twelve years ago.
It doesn’t match up.
The exhibition area was its secondary use. After it had severed its original purpose.
And so, Kamui’s kids found themselves in the shelters. Tracing back their father’s memories...
Is that even possible?
I don’t know... But Kamui is known to favor those shelters.
Why?
His favorite place closely resembles those shelters.
Where?
Solitary confinement.

The reason Kamui seeks out the darkness and likes being locked up lies in his upbringing. As a child, he lived in a wide-open yet, stifling environment. As he got a bit older, Kamui’s “hometown” became the shelters. A sullen, dark world where the sunlight can’t reach... He felt comfortable in that noisy and isolated world.
People are attracted to the underground...
Are they?
Take this job. This is a world of isolation. It’s sometimes hard to breathe.
Yeah...
Maybe he saw a miniature version of the world in those shelters.
What are you, a poet?

New Music: Decoy

Welp, enough of that. Kamui is back in jail. The actual murderer of this case is probably gonna get executed. We tossed a bunch of kids into the system. Well, I guess Sumio did most of that. Big Dick was just kind of loitering in the area while it happened. Regardless, let’s head on out of the hospital holding cell, where we find...

Oh, you’re here!

Tetsu, you’re back on the job today, huh?
Yeah, finally back to work.
It’s a stakeout.
Yeah...
We don’t have enough people.
Well, so it ended up not being much use, huh?
Tetsu, maybe we should...
Yeah, I know.
Let’s hurry.
I’ll rub you down.

Music: Conclusion

And that’s the end of Case #1: Decoyman. I mean, it was more of a bizarre love pentagon. With the central figure kind of catatonic... But, details. We’re now 16% complete with The Silver Case. Despite claims that Spectrum is coming up next, we’re actually gonna switch gears next time and begin the Placebo storyline as it’s a direct companion piece to Decoyman.

I hope you enjoy late '90s Internet use, smoking, blogs and turtles!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2016

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I find the art direction for this game very appealing, but I can't describe why. I couldn't even tell what I think is good about it, I just... I dunno, like it. Is that common when dealing with Suda51 games?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Didn't Ayame shoot herself? Did I really misinterpret that picture of her with her gun in her mouth?

Also apparently many Bothans died to bring the police the information on Kamui's origin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so kamui was broken by his experimental upbringing, but at one point he worked at an art studio while impregnating women left and right?

i don't really understand most of that update.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Also, apparently women simply cannot resist the physical magnetism of a guy who spent his life from the age of four in solitary confinement.

What the gently caress is going on.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Ratoslov posted:

What the gently caress is going on.

All appropriate subtitles to a Suda51 Let's Play.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

EggsAisle posted:

I find the art direction for this game very appealing, but I can't describe why. I couldn't even tell what I think is good about it, I just... I dunno, like it. Is that common when dealing with Suda51 games?

Yes.

Qrr posted:

Didn't Ayame shoot herself? Did I really misinterpret that picture of her with her gun in her mouth?

Also apparently many Bothans died to bring the police the information on Kamui's origin.

She was going to shoot herself but the kids from earlier stopped her because she's pregnant with Kamui's child too.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so kamui was broken by his experimental upbringing, but at one point he worked at an art studio while impregnating women left and right?

The criminal power of serial killer dick is unparalleled. What the hell the deal is with the Shelter thing is elaborated on later and the Placebo chapter coming up next sorta... clarifies what the hell was happening. The Placebo storyline is like if a normal person came along and tried to make sense of what the gently caress was happening in a Suda51 story. Kinda...

Kavak posted:

All appropriate subtitles to a Suda51 Let's Play.

Yes.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
At this point, I've more or less given up trying to understand what the hell is going on. I figure it'll either all make sense at the end, or if it doesn't, someone in the thread will come up with a plausible explanation for what the hell just happened. In the meantime, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So was Destroyman from No More Heroes a reference to Decoyman the whole time

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

She was going to shoot herself but the kids from earlier stopped her because she's pregnant with Kamui's child too.

Oh! That makes a lot more sense. I thought they were just being pointlessly weird, since that's pretty much their purpose in life.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Until I watched a gameplay video, I thought all the cutscenes were just static shots.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Part XI: Reporter

Music: Transmitter/Placebo

Alright, two chapters are down! We’re now 16% finished with The Silver Case. That percentage doesn’t mean a lot cuz it assumes every chapter is of equal length and that is assuredly not the case.

Now that we’ve completed the first proper case of the Transmitter storyline, the first chapter of the Placebo scenario has unlocked. While you can just blaze through the main Transmitter storyline without touching Placebo, we’re not gonna be doing that. We’re now going to shift gears and play through...

The Placebo scenario is split into five “reports”, all of which are given female Japanese names. No clue as to why, as we’ll be following a guy who clearly hasn’t scored in some time. Anyway, let’s jump right in...

New Music: Underground

Have you ever felt like that before? I did. I used to work as a police reporter for a pretty good news agency... Some poo poo went down that’s not worth explaining... and after a bunch of trouble, I quit. After quitting, I became a freelance writer. It probably doesn’t sound so bad, but... In reality... Chasing after celebrity asses, sticking a tape recorder up against front door interphones, pretending to be a relative and getting someone’s registry information, I was doing worthless stuff like that.
But then, one day, I received a work request by mail. Set a mark on Kamui Uehara, and check out every single thing, down to the hairs on his rear end— That was the job. The guy who the media is now reporting on like crazy, the one they’re calling the worst criminal of the century. That Kamui.
What a mistake, right? Asking someone like me to do that job...

I dunno yet, guy. We only just met you. Cannot say I’m feeling the banana yellow choice of car, though...

and the fact that—I was seeing triangles in circles due to being so shitfaced drunk at the time, I decided to take the job. I promised to investigate everything about Kamui’s past and future, write up a report, and submit it.

With the amount of money I was getting, I totally knew it was a really dangerous job. That’s how it started—

It’s my workplace, and also where I sleep and get up in the morning.

Optimally, where you sleep is also where you wake up to in the morning. So... get real goddamn used to seeing this room as it is where 100% of the Placebo storyline’s “gameplay” takes place. 90% of that being walking forward to the PC on that poo poo pile desk. Like so!

The reason being... Well, I have my suspicions. I wonder if I have any new mails? Lemme check...

Time for some red hot e-mail checking action. Assuming our new protagonist checks his e-mail regularly, it’s currently April 7th. Which puts us a couple days before the third victim of the Kamui Ayame murder spree at the Babylon Shopping Center back in Big Dick’s storyline.

C’mon, Shige. First of all, you don’t ask for someone to pay you back a loan via e-mail. At no point in time, even in 1999, has that has that been an acceptable venue for asking for payment collection. That’s up there with drunk text made at 1:29 AM on a Saturday evening with 99% return rate on being ignored. And secondly, you do all the flowery musing first before asking for the payment in any case.

You can also send mail,—

P.S. get hosed, nerd.

This is fancy talk for Morishima, our protagonist, likes to open Notepad and voice his inner thoughts when not monologuing as the narrator.

So... P.S. get hosed, nerd.

Basically, it’s where I keep my true feelings and thoughts collected. Normally, once you read an important mail, you act immediately... For mail, you can always read it again later... It’s sometimes good to take your time going over old mails and mails you haven’t read yet...

TDI Note: This may sound like we might have to review e-mails to find clues to further gameplay. Naw. That will never happen. Nor will I ever review an e-mails. Just go back to the relevant update if you need to re-read something, sheesh.

Morishima’s apartment includes a few other items of note. A really squat refrigerator with far too many clippings and magnets on it. Those coupons for buy one, get one free Doritos expired three weeks ago, dude. What are you even doing with your life?

Other than that, Morishima has a gigantic painting of a bat hanging in front of the moon as the only piece of decoration in his apartment. At no point will he comment on the hell up with that. I checked the PS1 game and the painting was a really high resolution texture compared to everything else there too. You got me...

But most importantly, we have...

He keeps silent, like an old fossil... But he’s also delicate like a clock with its minute mechanisms. We’ve been living together for just over two years.

TDI Note: Red is a good dragon turtle.

Here... There’s all sorts of poo poo lying around. The only thing I really even use is the phone, but whatever...

Oh yeah... The world you can see from this window actually looks pretty nice...

So to summarize, the Contact Points in Morishima’s apartment is his PC, Red the Turtle, the telephone, and the window. That is in order of most important to least. As in, we’ll be using his PC 95% of the time, we’ll need to talk to his turtle at least once or twice a chapter, the phone maybe once per Report, and I think you actually need to look out the window like once or twice ever.

This park, but that’s about it...

...that is to say, the guy called Tokio Morishima’s, version of events in—the “Kamui Case” and related happenings, in these scenarios. Basically, just think of it as a sample... The 24 wards has lots of guys just like me living here. I’m just one of a plethora of humans here. And by chance... I happened to get involved with Kamui Uehara. But like, in a really weird way... How was it “weird”, you ask? Keep your pants on... We’ve got all the time we need, right? First, lemme have a quick smoke, and then we’ll begin...

Right, then. Let’s go to flavor country...

...and get started with this story.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 15, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, okay. i was really curious about how he ended up in an empty mall, compulsively repeating kamui's name even though kamui was never there in the first place. if he was trying to investigate kamui it makes much more sense.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Finally, Bendis explained. He cribbed it from Suda!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Ah, Placebo. I love these report chapters if only for the contrast it serves to the main chapters. While Suda is the main writer and director for this game, all of Placebo is handled by a different writer, and it shows with it having its own different style as well as trying to have actual normal characters interpret what the hell is going on. Even the art portraits are in a different style to reflect this but it's still from the same artist.

And yeah, everything with Morishima's apartment overtime starts to feel like a prototype for the sort of thing Flower, Sun, and Rain would built itself around (minus dumb number puzzles). Just the repeating of the same mundane activities every day that are relatively low effort yet borderline dull. And yet I was still so absorbed in it when I played. Maybe because I lived in a tiny rear end apartment by myself for two years and can sort of relate to the routine. Kinda wish I had a turtle like Red, though. Red is cool.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I gave up on trying to understand the story, but is the gameplay pretty much a dungeon crawler only with the interaction points? If not, TDI, can you post a video just to clarify that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess this city can't be all that closed off if there's still such a thing as "Italian furniture".

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
What's it say in that last picture?

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Nohman posted:

What's it say in that last picture?

On the right side is "Morishima Tokio," and I have no idea what it says on the left side. It's probably not important, considering part of it is just his name.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

HardDiskD posted:

I gave up on trying to understand the story, but is the gameplay pretty much a dungeon crawler only with the interaction points? If not, TDI, can you post a video just to clarify that?

I can do that. Here's a speedrun of the gameplay in the Prologue.

Video: The Silver Case Gameplay

I should have another update tomorrow. Try to make it to a new page by then. It's very :words:.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 15, 2016

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Red is currently my favorite character in this game so far.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow that text noise is not exactly pleasant

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I swear, that exact jingle when you hit Enter on those passwords shows up in No More Heroes as well.

(If that's a running Suda51 thing I wouldn't know, NMH and its sequel are the only games of his I've played)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DanielCross posted:

I swear, that exact jingle when you hit Enter on those passwords shows up in No More Heroes as well.

(If that's a running Suda51 thing I wouldn't know, NMH and its sequel are the only games of his I've played)

Yeah it sorta sounds like the noise that plays when your weapon fully recharges, but it doesn't sound the same, tone-wise

Been really intrigued by this LP so far; not knowing a lot about Suda's earlier work's it's intersting to see themes and ideas and maybe even characters he's pulled forward into later games. Well that and the fact his works have always been a massive mindtrip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

CaptianKatsura posted:

On the right side is "Morishima Tokio," and I have no idea what it says on the left side. It's probably not important, considering part of it is just his name.

The full thing reads "Morishima Tokio's Case File" / モリシマトキオノ事件簿.

• Locked thread