Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OxMan posted:

Oh drat, that's really insane considering SJ barely has a PD left. Scratch that i guess.

Both cities have low murder rates, but overall SJ is a lot lower for violent crime. Not that Seattle is particularly bad or anything, just worse overall. But San Jose has like the 3rd lowest violent crime rate for a big US city. It does have some kind of rough areas though and i wouldn't be surprised if it has more gang violence than seattle. Most people stick to their own bubble and don't sperg out about crime stats anyways, so people can often have a wildly different perception of a city's crime rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A guy came to visit from the Midwest and asked me if he could borrow a large knife because he was going downtown. A friend who was also from the Midwest interjected and said, "You won't need one. People don't kill each other here."

Seattle: People Don't Kill Each Other Here :)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Animal-Mother posted:

A guy came to visit from the Midwest and asked me if he could borrow a large knife because he was going downtown. A friend who was also from the Midwest interjected and said, "You won't need one. People don't kill each other here."

Seattle: People Don't Kill Each Other Here :)

For reference the three biggest Midwest cities are Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee. The former isn't that dangerous of a city but has pockets which are the most violent areas in the country. Detroit is Detroit. Milwaukee is having an insane homicide surge that will soon equal its peak. As a result, much of the Midwest views big cities much like they were viewed in the '90s. Highly dangerous places compared to the rest of the country. Part of that is because they arguably are. They have homicide rates equaling to the average big city during America's crime peak. Milwaukee in particular is insane. It seems every other week or so I see a very personal homicide or at least attempted homicide story from one my friends on facebook (i.e. my dad was shot and killed today, someone just tried to break into our house to kill us, etc.)

EDIT - Oh I never mentioned, I live right in between Chicago and Milwaukee.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You asked to "tell me about Seattle" so I'll give my brief .02 cents.

I grew up in the area:

Pros:

*job market
*air is clean (for the most part)
*Lost of things to do indoor and outdoor
*Crime not that bad
*Nice weather from Late April to October 1st. I wear shorts all day/night then, and it's a dry heat.

Cons:

*It's very expensive to live there with rents & mortgages IMO.
*Traffic is bad and there was little planning for transpo. Seattle had the chance in 1970 and voted against a comprehensive transpo system and so it went to Atlanta (MARTA).

Overcast and drizzle 5 months out of the year, but I never minded it. Some people feel the "gray" and need more sun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So my take away from reading this thread has been: "Seattle is a cool place to live. Rent may be pretty pricey, but due to their being no city income tax you'll be able to live on your own with a middle income job ( around whatever a common $40,000 job transfers to in Seattle pay) and live comfortably if you have a roommate, which many people do. While the city is nice and there is a lot to do, it isn't as 'world class' as some make it out to be. It's far closer to just being 'another large city' rather than a cultural landmark like say Bostom, New York, or New Orleans. What's more it isn't that diverse compared to other places in the country. While minorities are visible, they are just that minorities, most of the city is white without the diversity of some places like say Chicago. Feel free to come here, just be sure to keep your expectations reasonable."

I hope that is an accurate summary.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That sounds about right. If you're earning 40k/year here and you don't have any massive bills or debts then you could conceivably rent a slightly newer studio or an older one-bedroom, assuming you're putting a third of your monthly wages towards rent and don't have an urgent need to live in the yuppier parts of town.

I think the weather is terrific, but if you have SAD then it's probably not for you.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That sounds about right. If you're earning 40k/year here and you don't have any massive bills or debts then you could conceivably rent a slightly newer studio or an older one-bedroom, assuming you're putting a third of your monthly wages towards rent and don't have an urgent need to live in the yuppier parts of town.

I think the weather is terrific, but if you have SAD then it's probably not for you.

The only debt I will have is my student loans which will total around $250 per month. No car loans or anything else.

Rain and overcast make me happy.

The only thing about the city that makes me concerned is how "white" it is.

Also, how is Kent anyway?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

punk rebel ecks posted:

The only debt I will have is my student loans which will total around $250 per month. No car loans or anything else.

Seattle's whiteness depends on the area you're in, and it can be extremely segregated. Queen Anne might as well have burning crosses on every corner (check out this wacky deed from the mid-40s) and the single-family neighborhoods are constantly NIMBYing over upzoning.

Kent is a conglomeration of strip malls.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my take away from reading this thread has been: "Seattle is a cool place to live. Rent may be pretty pricey, but due to their being no city income tax you'll be able to live on your own with a middle income job ( around whatever a common $40,000 job transfers to in Seattle pay) and live comfortably if you have a roommate, which many people do. While the city is nice and there is a lot to do, it isn't as 'world class' as some make it out to be. It's far closer to just being 'another large city' rather than a cultural landmark like say Bostom, New York, or New Orleans. What's more it isn't that diverse compared to other places in the country. While minorities are visible, they are just that minorities, most of the city is white without the diversity of some places like say Chicago. Feel free to come here, just be sure to keep your expectations reasonable."

I hope that is an accurate summary.

Spot on summary.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not from Kent, but here is a quick overview

Its pretty generic suburbs on the flip side you say your from the Midwest, Kent has a hockey team in the "Seattle" Thunderbirds and the games are pretty cheap and entertaining enough. I know there is a Boeing Plant in Kent which my dad worked at in the 90's when I was little and there are a few other companies I think REI has its headquarters there. However seriously I wouldn't move across the country to live in Kent it sucks and you won't go into Seattle as often as you think you will.

Honestly if you can't afford Seattle itself, Tacoma would be a more interesting choice than Kent. While small it still is actually a city you can walk around and do things in, and too my knowledge is still fairly cheap compared to Seattle proper.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 7, 2016

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
One of my coworkers commutes from Maple Valley (which is right next to Kent) to SoDo. It loving sucks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Well my sister has to go fly out to a job meeting. It turns out that the meeting will be held in Seattle for some reason. I ask about her experience when she gets back.

Thanatosian posted:

One of my coworkers commutes from Maple Valley (which is right next to Kent) to SoDo. It loving sucks.

How so?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 7, 2016

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Unless you already have stable income, upper-middle class/rich or a job offer on the table already, I advise you to rethink your life decisions because you will be taking it in the rear end on rent each and every month. Most places remotely near downtown are now gentrified due to Amazon's huge growth spurt. You'll end up getting trapped in the sleep-commute-work cycle 40hrs a week (which after commute time becomes a 60hr week) to the point you wont even see the inside of your shoebox apartment let alone afford going out and dropping $50 on a dinner and extra for a show. The temp placement agencies will give you 20hr-24hrs/week max work for just a hair above minimum and you will instantly discover there is no future in that kind of work the moment they drop you into a call center or "light clerical" work.

$40k/yr on paper will be fine, if you can manage to find and keep a job that pays that and is stable.

edit: Stay away from the Renton/White Center/Tukwila/Delridge/Burien areas. Anything north-end is fine enough and if you are well to do, you might be able to find a place on the east side for a quaint $1400/mo

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I live in Lake City, which I absolutely love. Way larger minority population than bits like Queen Anne. Great Ethopian, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese in walking distance of my apartment. I'm spending $1225/month on what amounts to a one bedroom studio at ~500 sf. I work in Bellevue and commute via bus, and an hour commute each way is the high end; most days involve driving 5 minutes down the road to the park and ride and riding a bus across the water for 30-35 minutes of napping or reading. There's a lot of very good food in the city, there's a lot of very nerdy stuff to do, there's fun sporting events. Sold out Sounders games aren't a soccer experience you're going to replicate very many places in North America, for example.

The region's fantastic for hiking, camping, and exploring. The skiing is really good once you get outside the 45 minute bubble around the city which houses two resorts. If you go 2.5-3 hours north you've got two of the better resorts on the continent in Whistler Blackcomb and Baker. Down south toward Rainier, Crystal's supposed to be very good, but I've somehow not been there yet despite some 30-40 ski trips in the last 5-6 years.

It's also nice being 3 hours from Portland and Vancouver by car, both fun places.

Whoever said there's not good Southern food is just wrong; there's not a ton of it, but there's good proper southern at Roux and some food trucks, and really good cajun/creole at Toulouse Petite. There's also good Mexican, but it's more like tiny hole in the wall taquerias and a few very specific places, like Carta de Oaxaca for Oaxacan food, and Asadero Ballard is supposed to be really damned good. There's a sushi joint in the international district that original opened in 1904 and is really drat good, and my girlfriend and I go out for dim sum at least once a month down there too.

The city's definitely got downsides, and it's definitely expensive, and it's definitely changing, but it's a pretty cool place all around. The weed's not necessarily expensive either, some of it is, some of it isn't, just have to find a store you like.

• Locked thread