Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

DrProsek posted:

Upside of the French election is my prediction yesterday didn't come true; I thought LePen would get 26% at least and Macron would underperform but it looks like that didn't happen at all. Polls basically predicted the result, no upset/last minute swell of support for LePen.

I still think there's no way Macron wins round 2 but I'm slightly less confident in that given that it looks like LePen if anything loses support in the days running up the the vote.

good 2 know that the international milkdrinkers brigade has learned absolutely nothing from this event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

who? also, calling on zdr to confirm i'm no-one's alt

it was a joke

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
a joke? is that allowed?!?!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Baloogan posted:

only pro-donald trump comedy is allowed

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Baloogan posted:

not in my america

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Agag posted:

We knew Macron sucks, but its impossible to duplicate how much Hillary sucked, so the polling was accurate this time.
macron is hillary except with more charisma and even more explicitly neoliberal

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Agag posted:

We knew Macron sucks, but its impossible to duplicate how much Hillary sucked, so the polling was accurate this time.

True. He may be as bad politically as Hillary but he at least seems to be charismatic and is running for office in a country where running up the popular vote in big states/communes/departments/etc does actually increase your chances of winning. I think Brexit and Trump happening so close together has me/folks convinced polling is dead and the far right will just win on voter excitement/turnout but every other vote post-Trump has either been as the polls predicted or had the far right under-performing (see: Netherlands).

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

DrProsek posted:

been as the polls predicted or had the far right under-performing (see: Netherlands).

Dangerous talk. Dutch outcome is far from ideal. Neoliberal won, fascist second and Christian conservative that explicitly wanted to go more right wing ended third. The hopeful for actual positive development is expected to get a pity-ministry in the new order.

E: Wilders might have underperformed by global standards, but for national standards he was a major winner during the elections.

Namarrgon has issued a correction as of 11:07 on Apr 24, 2017

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Namarrgon posted:

Dangerous talk. Dutch outcome is far from ideal. Neoliberal won, fascist second and Christian conservative that explicitly wanted to go more right wing ended third. The hopeful for actual positive development is expected to get a pity-ministry in the new order.

E: Wilders might have underperformed by global standards, but for national standards he was a major winner during the elections.

His party still gained more seats and new crypto-fascist party also entered parliament.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
And let's not forget the new AKP proxy party, Erdogan is pretty fascist too.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
World's going to hell, boys

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Entropist posted:

And let's not forget the new AKP proxy party, Erdogan is pretty fascist too.

justice and development are the ideals we should all strive for

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Namarrgon posted:

Oh absolutely, Wilders didn't underperform in the sense that the fascists did badly in the Dutch elections, just that their victory wasn't as large as had been predicted. The neolibs won while still bleeding seats, the Christian conservative party might find itself in a ruling coalition somehow, and while GroenLinks did kinda do really well relative to their past performance, the biggest parties in Netherlands are still dominated by either the lovely status quo that's clearly losing ground fast, and different flavors of more right wing alternatives.

I only would say Wilders "underperformed" in the sense that "the polls said he'd gain X seats and become the biggest party. He gained far fewer than X and is not the largest party". It still means something but not some big win against fascism in Europe.

Related to that, this Washington Post Hot Take is exactly the wrong Take on France/Netherlands:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...60e8_story.html

Macron’s strong finish in the French election shows populist wave may be ebbing posted:

After years in which the E.U. was the favorite foil for ascendant politicians on the continent, the 28-nation club may be making a comeback despite Brexit and President Trump’s euroskepticism. The Netherlands’ staunchly pro-European Green Left party quadrupled its support in elections last month. Former European Parliament president Martin Schulz is surging in polls ahead of September elections in Germany.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I'm the person who thinks a 2 points lead in a 5-way race is a commanding majority

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Agnosticnixie posted:

I'm the person who thinks a 2 points lead in a 5-way race is a commanding majority

JEB!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Related to that, this Washington Post Hot Take is exactly the wrong Take on France/Netherlands:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...60e8_story.html

GroenLinks quadrupled alright. Of course labour just lost 75% of their seats but i am sure that had nothing to do with it. One left wing party lost 30 seats, another gained 10. I am sure these events are completely unrelated.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can someone​who watched the French debate give a summary? Guardian says macron came out on top? tia

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

Can someone​who watched the French debate give a summary? Guardian says macron came out on top? tia

le pen was doing okay then marcon let her talk a bunch and she said something about the economics planting the seeds of war between germany and france so whelp

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also whoah she v trumpy when it comes to terrorism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I wish people would stop giving credit for her politics to her inferior american ersatz.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread