Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sai
Sep 20, 2004

americans think its normal to pay 30k a year for university, just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

america is bad

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I had a to pay 10k a year for my Dutch research MA because I was a foreigner.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Having finished my MA at a Dutch university, it really wasnt even worth the 2k a year i had to pay.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

9-Volt Assault posted:

Having finished my MA at a Dutch university, it really wasnt even worth the 2k a year i had to pay.

where/what did you study?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Sai posted:

where/what did you study?

History at both universities in Amsterdam. It was ok, the profs were good people but its one of those degrees where you have at most 10 hours of class a week and barely any feedback on papers and stuff. For my masters thesis i had like 4 meetings with my advisor and that was it. Now that im a few years out i kinda feel like i really didnt learn anything. Its not true, but i have a lot of trouble coming up with concrete things to point to and say ''i learned that because i studied history!'.

Basically, while i was studying history it was cool and good, but in the end it feels like a waste of time.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Sai posted:

i think the new system is Bad but if the Americans reading this knew that college in NL costs like 2000 euros a year and the left thinks thats unacceptable theyd be laughing till their balls dropped out of their mourhs

Obviously, but let's not play race-to-the-bottom with the Americans.

9-Volt Assault posted:

History at both universities in Amsterdam. It was ok, the profs were good people but its one of those degrees where you have at most 10 hours of class a week and barely any feedback on papers and stuff. For my masters thesis i had like 4 meetings with my advisor and that was it. Now that im a few years out i kinda feel like i really didnt learn anything. Its not true, but i have a lot of trouble coming up with concrete things to point to and say ''i learned that because i studied history!'.

Basically, while i was studying history it was cool and good, but in the end it feels like a waste of time.

I think this is just life. A friend of mine did part of his degree in the US and his experience was you learn about the same in both situations, but the US gives you 10x the busywork.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

9-Volt Assault posted:

i did two years of university but dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything and i did two years of mbo but i dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything and i did two years of hbo but dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything

i doubt this is a specifically dutch issue, more just goons being goons

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Sai posted:

i did two years of university but dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything and i did two years of mbo but i dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything and i did two years of hbo but dropped out because it felt like i wasnt learning anything

i doubt this is a specifically dutch issue, more just goons being goons

I did 2 years of computer science at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam before going to university and the quality of the education was absolutely embarrassing. High school demanded more of me.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

9-Volt Assault posted:

I did 2 years of computer science at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam before going to university and the quality of the education was absolutely embarrassing. High school demanded more of me.
im an alpha* through and through so im not really surprised that computer science on hbo level is more challenging than history at uni level

also lol your a nerd

*but im halfway through infinifactory and i completed all hexcells games while listening to podcasts so maybe im also a beta

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Sai posted:

im an alpha* through and through so im not really surprised that computer science on hbo level is more challenging than history at uni level

also lol your a nerd

*but im halfway through infinifactory and i completed all hexcells games while listening to podcasts so maybe im also a beta

My sentence was terrible, I meant to say the level of education at the HBO was quite bad. During first year programming lessons i had to explain the teacher what i was doing, because he literally had no clue once you did anything that was not in the book he used. Most classes were like that.

But apparently Dutch education is still quite good compared to the rest of the world so lol, how bad is it elsewhere? Looking forward seeing how the next coalition is going to make it worse!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Only the far right winning should be reported on, if they don't no news should be created.

twoday
May 4, 2005

I came to this country for education, I did my BA and MA here and am about to finish my PhD, and I have good career prospects as a historian. I'm happy with the education system here. I think it's competitive and the best outside the US and U.K., and it's amazing that it's so cheap.

Ok, so my mood changes frequently, but today I have been entertaining the idea of voting d66. They want to decriminalize all drugs, build more public transport, allow 3 or more parents for a child, and various other liberal things I like, and they want to pump a bunch of money into higher education, which I like a lot.

But it's my first time voting, since I have only recently become a Dutch citizen, and I'm wondering, how do they behave in coalitions. Will they be a viable coalition partner this time? Who do they usually work with? Etc.

Unfortunately I guess they would work with VVD. Would they work with PVV?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

twoday posted:

I came to this country for education, I did my BA and MA here and am about to finish my PhD, and I have good career prospects as a historian. I'm happy with the education system here. I think it's competitive and the best outside the US and U.K., and it's amazing that it's so cheap.

Ok, so my mood changes frequently, but today I have been entertaining the idea of voting d66. They want to decriminalize all drugs, build more public transport, allow 3 or more parents for a child, and various other liberal things I like, and they want to pump a bunch of money into higher education, which I like a lot.

But it's my first time voting, since I have only recently become a Dutch citizen, and I'm wondering, how do they behave in coalitions. Will they be a viable coalition partner this time? Who do they usually work with? Etc.

They won't work with the PVV. They will work with the VVD. They will also throw away anything they claim to find important to get into a coalition, especially a right wing one. They joined VVD and CDA in 2003, which is just :lol: for a party that claims to be liberal, even though VVD hadn't gone full conservative at the time.

Also, you must be the first person with a finished degree in history who says he has good prospects. Everyone I did my MA with is stuck in poo poo jobs, besides the few who went into IT or found some other way to retrain into a new position. and the few I know of who did a
phd and are finished are despairing because the chance of getting anything better than one post-doc after the next for the next 15 years is close to zero. Permanent positions at a university are like a unicorn. All but one of them want to leave academia because of this.

9-Volt Assault has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Dec 21, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

twoday posted:

I am not familiar with the peculiarities of Dutch politics, but generally speaking, you can always count on liberals to be pieces of poo poo that err towards the conservative side of the scale on anything they're uncertain of.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
A vote for D66 is basically a vote for vvd because they care about nothing as much as being in the government and are willing to support them in their quest of the complete destruction of anything good in the country in exchange for symbolic bs like having a vague promise of the possible introduction of directly elected mayors.

Same for PvdA these days really.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

D66 is the party for the kind of dipshit retard who goes to University College Leiden Campus Den Haag instead of the real Leiden University for a degree in poor-loving

D66: brought to you by red jeans

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

D66: a party for the man who thinks voting is best done without all that bothersome "ideology" or "principle"

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Osmosisch posted:

A vote for D66 is basically a vote for vvd because they care about nothing as much as being in the government and are willing to support them in their quest of the complete destruction of anything good in the country in exchange for symbolic bs like having a vague promise of the possible introduction of directly elected mayors.

Same for PvdA these days really.

See also: Pechtold announcing he is leaving politics if he doesn't become a minister.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Europe is getting corncobbed by the new Nazis cuz they failed to learn from past mistakes, c/d

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

d66 would be a good party if everyone without a higher education suddenly died

but just dont vote pvv or vvd and im fine w/it

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Europe is getting corncobbed by the new Nazis cuz they failed to learn from past mistakes, c/d

If by 'new nazis' you mean ISIS, c. Europe is once again allowing the rise of militant, religious fascism, because it is too loving weak to take a stand for European values.

Can you even name Dutch or German values any more?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If by 'new nazis' you mean ISIS, c. Europe is once again allowing the rise of militant, religious fascism, because it is too loving weak to take a stand for European values.

I'm pretty sure they mean the rising far right parties.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

gezelligheid, kinderfeesten, casual racism

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I also cant name any non-european values. We live in some terrible postmodern age where nothing has any value left.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i value anime and videogames and firearms and freedom and liquor and friends and beef and caffeine and science fiction and atvs and motorboats and freedom of speech and basil and orageno and hot tea and books

WORLDS BEST BABY
Aug 26, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

circle parties, splitting bills, all the important stuff basically

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i value not getting attacked when i hold hands with my bf in public

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

i value not getting attacked when i hold hands with my bf in public

Hope you never visit Amsterdam because chances you will at least be called names are quite high there these days.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i remember on a date a few years ago seeing the gay district being down to like a single back street

:smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Forums Terrorist posted:

i remember on a date a few years ago seeing the gay district being down to like a single back street

wow europe really doesn't seem accepting anymore

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pollyanna posted:

wow europe really doesn't seem accepting anymore

we accept everyone, not our fault people can't get along

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Friendly Humour posted:

we accept everyone, not our fault people can't get along

tolerance means intolerance of intolerance.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Grindr is the gay district. Also, increased acceptance has led to less of a need for gay bars.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

well, until the nazis start using hookup apps to find targets, like they do in russia

twoday
May 4, 2005

:(

Well, none of that stuff you guys said sounds very good.

Will SGP work to abolish parliament and create a system of absolute monarchy?

I guess I would vote for the Provos if they were still around.

Humans are all terrible. Maybe I should just vote for PvdD and be represented in parliament by a donkey or whatever.

twoday has issued a correction as of 15:47 on Dec 22, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Forums Terrorist posted:

well, until the nazis start using hookup apps to find targets, like they do in russia

The political position of gay rights in the Netherlands is quite different. Most extreme right wing parties are actually pro gay rights, because the muslims hate gays and therefore it must be cool and good, and is an integral part of Dutch values and cultures. So it's quite unlikely that nazis will target them here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Entropist posted:

The political position of gay rights in the Netherlands is quite different. Most extreme right wing parties are actually pro gay rights, because the muslims hate gays and therefore it must be cool and good, and is an integral part of Dutch values and cultures. So it's quite unlikely that nazis will target them here.

First they came for the Muslims...

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

First they came for the Muslims...

The muslims are never going to go away, so the gays are safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

• Locked thread