Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm gonna toot my city's own horn and let y'all know that Jacksonville has some of the best and most accessible parks and hiking I've ever come across. You can hike lonely shorelines, hammocks and marshes, open scrub plains, pine stands, and beautiful oak forests. There's a ton of little pocket hikes contained within the Jacksonville metro area, and lots of cool stuff hidden away.

For example! Seaton Creek Historic Preserve. I live less then five miles away from it, and I only just started hiking there this year. I never knew it existed. It's a quiet beautiful little hike, and the site of the southernmost battle of the Revolutionary War!

(it was rather a fuckup)

Without leaving the Northside, you can also head east to Pumpkin Hill, Betz-Tiger Point, and Black Hammock Island. Unfortunately, there's a fair bit of swamp and water between them and the real jewel parks of Jacksonville, which are Black Rock and Cypress Graveyard Beaches on Big Talbot, pristine and beautiful with amenities Little Talbot, Fort George, Hugenot where you can drive on the beach, and Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park, which are all separate and beautiful properties, and ALL ON THE SAME ROAD. A1A is a beaut of a drive down here, by the way. All of these parks have fantastic trails. Not to mention some of the best fishing in Florida.

pros: Accessibility, beaches, wildlife
cons: Not that remote, still might be gored to death by urban feral pigs

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Haha, I'm from Atlantic Beach. Duuu-val!

Anyway, I ended up in Fort Collins, CO. :q:

DUUUUUUVVAAAALLLLL

Colorado in it's self is one massive hiking paradise in my experience. Y'all got parks and trails everywhere, and people who use them in every weather x.x

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

girl pants posted:

Plus you can't throw a rock downtown without taking out a craft brewery these days.

Man, I miss the days when we just called moonshine stills what they were, and didn't try to get all fancy and legal about it. Also, meth didn't exist.

I gotta wonder, have all the shiners moved on to meth, or is there still a noble outlaw spirit of shine?

• Locked thread