Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope
Louisville is pretty good for hiking from what I've seen so far. I've only been here a couple years and haven't had too much time for hiking, but I have been to most of these.

You've got a few parks designed by the Frederick Olmsted including two of the larger ones (Cherokee and Iroquois), plus another big city park, Seneca. Cherokee and Seneca are 10 minutes from downtown, Iroquois is about 15. Then there is a state park in the city limits (about 15 min from downtown) E.P. "Tom" Sawyer, a state park that has some nature trails along with some other features.

Just outside the main interstates are two other large parks, The Parklands, and Jefferson Memorial Forest which are each about 25 minutes from downtown. The Jefferson Memorial Forest is the largest municipal urban forest in the United States, and The Parklands is new and is pretty awesome. It is a stretch of 20 miles worth of parks, with a closed access trail that runs along a river that is running through all of it, plus trails branching off all over with access about 6 different spots to park along the trail. That trail is going to connect to a loop around the city (the Louisville Loop) when it is all complete.

In Indiana there is Lapping park that is about 10 min from downtown Louisville that has some easy trails, and also Deam Lake state recreation area, and Charlestown state park that are both 30 minutes from downtown Louisville.

Farther away you can go to Bernheim Forest which is a really nice arboretum and research forest that has 35 miles of trails, that is about 30 minutes south of Louisville. There is also Otter Creek recreation area near Ft. Knox that has some decent trails.

Hoosier National Forest in Indiana is an hour and 15 minutes away and has plenty of trails as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

Epitope posted:

If you look at satellite maps of Bloomington, it's in a nice blob of green surrounded by endless farmland. Also, Brown county and other parks in southern indiana have really built up their mountain bike trail systems in the last decade.

Yeah, I bought my Subaru in Bloomington and it was a nice drive through the forest there on the way from I-65. I have been hearing a lot about Brown County for mountain biking, I think a lot of folks from Louisville go up there to ride. There are a few solid mountain biking trails in and around Louisville too (Seneca/Cherokee, Waverly Park, Turkey Run in The Parklands).

• Locked thread