Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'll probably bake and sauce then. I've already got a gallon of stock I made from necks, giblets, backs, and feet from the farm's turkey processing party.

They were very happy wings attached to a happy bird, so I want to do right by them and make them the best wings they can be.

If you're going to bake wings, you should toss them with baking powder (not baking soda!) first. Then let them air-dry on a rack in your fridge for at least a few hours, though giving them a full 10-12 hours by tossing them first thing in the morning and cooking them around dinner time is best. Finally, bake them on a rack, flipping twice through the cooking process.

Tossing the wings with something dry like baking powder will bring the moisture within the skin towards the surface and in the higher pH, more basic environment, the proteins in the skin can break down more easily and the Maillard reaction occurs more quickly, giving crisper, browner wings.

If you just bake wings that you don't do something like this with, you're going to often get skin that is somehow both soggy and leathery at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread