Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
That nannycam costume was legit tight though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update: I stopped watching and went to the store during the one where they go to the mansion for a party and nobody is there. I had been watching for like 4 hours at that point. And hell, I was scared!

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Is this on netflix?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

if the male gaze doesn't pass the bechdel test I'm not into it

naem
May 29, 2011

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Don't do it Naem, she's a succubus!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Go for it naem I think she's into you

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
VHS and the ABC of death or water error are a garbage fire filled with poo poo

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar posted:

Is this on netflix?

Ya. Do not watch it if you plan on sleeping tonight lmao

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Virginia Slams posted:

VHS and the ABC of death or water error are a garbage fire filled with poo poo

ABCs of death was real bad.

naem
May 29, 2011

canpakes posted:

Ya. Do not watch it if you plan on sleeping tonight lmao

I watched it with no preconceived notions at like midnight on Netflix and I still sleep with the lights on sometimes

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toadvine posted:

You're close. In each of the videos with men operating the camera they employ an overt male gaze and proceed to meet violent ends. Except for the skype story where he's aiding the aliens, reversing his presumed hero role.

I was impressed by this low budget movies contribution to the horror genre

What about the honeymoon one? I don't remember if the party that met a violent end was employing a male gaze, but it's been a while since I saw it.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012

Toadvine posted:

ABCs of death was real bad.

F is for Fart

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I listened to Cassette: The Scare Sounds by Tape Deck. I give it 12 out of 25 dancing skelentons.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I like how the beta wimp dude got rebuffed by a succubus. Like, how big of a loser you gotta be that a she-demon that lives for sex ain't into you?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
so what are some goood spooky movies on netflix right now? mrs d8 is watching poirot and it's pretty lame. i want some creepy stuff for halloween dammit

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

darth_pizza posted:

also this movie is pretty good. don't bother with the second one, it's not nearly as good.

The second had the cult one that was pretty good, and the decent eye one. Now the third I only remember any of the stories as "some stupid poo poo".

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

dee eight posted:

so what are some goood spooky movies on netflix right now? mrs d8 is watching poirot and it's pretty lame. i want some creepy stuff for halloween dammit

Housebound is great. People will be saying The Babadook, but they are liars.

Also These Final Hours isn't spooky, but it's so goddamn grim you'll be feeling suicidal for a couple days after.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 31, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
the thai(?) cult one is the best by far its really good and creepy then it just goes crazy

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The Witch was actually pretty disturbing in parts. Jay from RLM recommended it, so hit it up. Forgot what year, but it's the latest movie of that title.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

thanks. I'll check em out.

I'll also look for a couple of old school faves:

The Raven it's heaped high with stars! Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, and loving near teenagers Sharon Tate and Jack Nicholson!
and
Premature Burial I've seen it only once in my life, but the dream sequence struck me as both incredibly creepy and wile e coyote hilarious at the same time.

e: the 62 film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056368/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

e2: ha! I remember now, it was in 1972, a halloween triple feature at a local theatre: Premature Burial, and the other two movies were House of Usher and Pit and the Pendulum. I went with my brothers and our cousin egghead was there in the front row tripping on acid and digging the movies.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2016

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I won't be sleeping tonight LOL

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Frankenstyle posted:

Housebound is great. People will be saying The Babadook, but they are liars.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought this movie was poo poo

naem
May 29, 2011

canpakes posted:

I won't be sleeping tonight LOL

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person that thought this movie was poo poo

The only thing disturbing about that film was the way it made me think "Hey, maybe beating the crap out of children is really kinda okay sometimes".

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

dee eight posted:

so what are some goood spooky movies on netflix right now?

is Let the Right One In still on netflix? If so, that

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

About halfway through Housebound and it's okay. Some moderate spookings and a few laughs. The opposum skinning neighbor seems like my kinda people, too.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
VHS loving owns. Another movie that owns is VHS 2. There's a scientist that goes to an evil dimension and his wife has a demon pussy that tries to kill him.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

part 2 messed me up for a while

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
the babadook is pretty spooky and has great tone but its got a terrible "happy" ending which sucks tho i remember some goon saying the movie is a metaphor for grief which makes alot of sense

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

dee eight posted:

About halfway through Housebound and it's okay. Some moderate spookings and a few laughs. The opposum skinning neighbor seems like my kinda people, too.

Yeah. It's bog standard up to the halfway point, and then goes all People Under the Stairs. I tired like three times to watch it but kept giving up before it gets good.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
the succubus doesn't like the one guy who appears to be the most decent one out of the group (he stops the one dude from passed-out-drunk-raping the other girl), but why does she appear to be the most attracted to the dude with the glasses who's recording? he's like neutral at best, is that a desirable quality for whatever she is (succubus or whatever)?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

the babadook is pretty spooky and has great tone but its got a terrible "happy" ending which sucks tho i remember some goon saying the movie is a metaphor for grief which makes alot of sense

The babadook makes the dragon sound from Warcraft 2

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

It always surprises me when people need that pointed out. They aren't subtle at all with it. The whole movie is like them yelling "hey guys look at what we are doing" while beating you on the head with tge metaphor.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

And they're making a full-length movie out of this now. Thank God for studio focus groups.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It always surprises me when people need that pointed out. They aren't subtle at all with it. The whole movie is like them yelling "hey guys look at what we are doing" while beating you on the head with tge metaphor.

Seriously, it's pretty heavy handed at explaining what the situation is. Are movie goers really that stupid these days?

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

i dont watch horror movies with any kind of analysis in mind personally i wanna be spooked not have to think about stuff. i find that when horror tries to be about something it can lose its effectiveness by changing tone usually so the characters can overcome instead of dying miserably like they should. It Follows for example im pretty sure that movie was trying to say something cause but it totally goes to poo poo about halfway through and wastes the excellent premise and tension it had build up

naem
May 29, 2011

Stryder posted:

And they're making a full-length movie out of this now. Thank God for studio focus groups.

I hope it has the same actress and it's just two hours of eating people

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

i dont watch horror movies with any kind of analysis in mind personally i wanna be spooked not have to think about stuff. i find that when horror tries to be about something it can lose its effectiveness by changing tone usually so the characters can overcome instead of dying miserably like they should. It Follows for example im pretty sure that movie was trying to say something cause but it totally goes to poo poo about halfway through and wastes the excellent premise and tension it had build up

I wasn't trying to imply it was a good/insightful movie or anything. I hate it. It Follows wasn't awful on the first watch but they were also extremely heavy handed with their "message"/metaphor. I think even the best horror movies have some kind of message/point, but what separates them from the bad modern ones is knowing when to be subtle about it instead of assuming your audience is braindead and needs it spoonfed to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I wasn't trying to imply it was a good/insightful movie or anything. I hate it. It Follows wasn't awful on the first watch but they were also extremely heavy handed with their "message"/metaphor. I think even the best horror movies have some kind of message/point, but what separates them from the bad modern ones is knowing when to be subtle about it instead of assuming your audience is braindead and needs it spoonfed to them.

indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7NIGcaMtw

• Locked thread