Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

This ranks extremely low on the scale of awful mods, but I will never understand people who insist on making their games look like poo poo with ENB/Reshade presets.

Did you ever think to yourself, "Mass Effect is a cool game but man, I wish I could make it look more like someone's filming a TV screen on a low-quality cellphone camera"? Well, good news because now you can!

Looks like someone found the sliders for film grain, vignetting and saturation, and turned them all up to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I'm guessing a lot of that is level designers wanting to do something, and not wanting to bother with the turnaround time of asking a programmer to implement a class for it.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Does this count as a modder meltdown?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211/discussions/0/133256758575936719/

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Payday 2 has a lot of HUD mods.

DANKHuD, a marijuana themed HUD mod, stands out. The MSPAINT HUD mod is famous, of course. But then there'sHyperHUD Re;Birth, a painstaking full interface reworking themed around one of those godawful games.

I really don't understand the desire to add random elements from your (presumably) favorite franchise to games you play. It's not even the subject matter, it's that they're completely unrelated in every way. Someone please explain the appeal.

There are a ton of mods for L4D2 that just straight up replace random textures with anime pictures. Not even putting them computer screens or backgrounds where it would make even a slight bit of sense, but straight up replacing things like door textures with your waifu.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

there are, however, no model replacers that turn special infected into 'sexy' versions of themselves or whatever so let's focus on the small mercies shall we

Well, you say that...

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Please, like there was a way to improve on the inherent sexiness of the boomer. (please share)

Thanks, now I want to see someone make a Fat Bastard boomer model.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

aniviron posted:

What used to be mods are now games, that's what's changed. You don't need a publisher to make a game anymore. You don't need a distributor. You don't need a marketing team. You might never be huge if you don't have those things, but a lot of small teams gamble on making enough to get by, and some games really do blow up and become Big Deals without any of that stuff. People who made serious mods in the past make games now because the SDKs for Unreal, Unity, Cryengine, and more are just free to download and use.

Your example of Natural Selection is perfect. Why bother making an NS2 mod when you can make an NS2 game instead? So the people who are left are people who tinker instead of engineer, and you get texture replacements and the like, mostly.

It also seems harder to make full-on total conversion mods now. A lot of games either don't allow modding or have modding frameworks that only allow parts of the game to be changed. Foo example, if you look at Valves games, HL2 came out with a SDK that allowed you to make changes to or rewrite most of the game logic. Their newer games only have tools to make maps or change out assets.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

One of my favorite things about the Nexus is honestly the mod request sections. They're forums 100% designed for ideas guy posts and it's amazing.

I like the ones with: "Hey, I'm recruiting a mod team for this awesome project. No, I've never modded anything before and have no applicable skills, so I'll be the ideas guy."

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Makes me wish there was a modder version of the people who do photoshop requests by matching the wording of the request but not the intention.

Always wanted to be a modding genie.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ChieGuevara/status/863956714856382464/photo/1

That whole thread is good.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I know. I've tried using photoshop with the nvidia .dds tools, compressnoator and infranview. None of them can read the textures.

Also, as a comparison, this one gun's 2k filesize is larger than most of the vanilla game's 4k weapons.

Have you checked if the game actually opens them? Could be that they just uploaded garbage files.

And here I was getting nervous when my latest guns poly count went past 3k.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I downloaded it, and the Nvidia Photoshop plugin doesn't to seem to have any issues opening the images. SageThumbs even generates thumbnails for them.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Mai Raifu (possibly :nws:)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I like that they went through all that trouble to retexture it, while keeping the same low poly stretched U/V model.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Oh hey, apparently the Bethesda paid mod Creation Club is out, ...and it's even worse than their paid mods Workshop attempt.

Seems like it's limited to simple mods like weapons, skins and model replacements. That's right, premium skins for a single player game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3wbvkrcJQM

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ready for some cringe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4oSJiR1lM

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Ruflux posted:

That piece of poo poo mod also apparently somehow requires 60 loving gigabytes of disk space, going by its Steam page. Also the guy apparently stole a bunch of assets from Black Mesa and elsewhere with no credit or permission.

IIRC Black Mesa has their assets released under non-commercial Creative Commons, so they should be able to use them unless they get the awesome idea to charge money that thing.

Also, apparently the release date got pushed forward to next week so that they could "lower the file size". :thunk:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

That imgur image seems to be gone already. What was in it?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The horrible goose model has now been ripped!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1891519898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Another thing about ownership is that even if the modders sign away their ownership of the mod itself, it might not apply to any assets used in the mods. If the license agreements specify that the assets too belong to the game company, every modder using assets they don't own the full IP of would be liable a stupid amount of fraud.