Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

QuantaStarFire posted:

Only someone with Arthmoor's artistic vision could figure out how to add a bunch of static models to the game.

Please spellcheck your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Perfect.

Nyaa posted:

Your spellcheck doesn't fits Dirk the Average's autistic vision of English Grammar and his world view of the language's lore that supported his grand vision of internet posting etiquette. Please use comma?

Commas are not enough. For proper grammar one must use Π in every paragraph.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Orv posted:

I swear to god I'll turn this thread around, just watch bee.

Fixed that for you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Well played.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

Remove the whole creepy aspect of young girl, but keep the concept of ritual sacrifices to get amazing machines.
Some W40K up in this bitch.

Dreadnoughts would be amazing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I've never forgotten the wisdom of my seventh grade history teacher. Almost every invention in human history was made for one of three purposes: to make money off of it, to kill people with it, or to have sex with it.

This is demonstrably false. Some of them were made for two, or even all three purposes!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

silentsnack posted:

On the other hand, imagine modding a shotgun that fires DOOM, with each projectile running on a separate emulator.

This is on nuts.wad, right?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hell is the only place we should be building golf courses.

But we already build them in Florida?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All I can think when looking at that is less that it's muscle and more that they'll pop like balloons from the first stray arrow and reveal an overly-tall skinny girl trying to look tough.

It almost looks to me like some sort of mech suit, especially with the difference in skin tone and head size.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Actually isn't techbro RTS literally just Supreme Commander? In that the only actual people on the field are you and your subcommanders and everything else is a robot.

It's also pretty much the best RTS ever made by a wide, wide margin.

It's one of the few games where there's an actual tide of battle, where in the early-mid game factories churn out waves of low tier units to gain and contest map coverage, and you can see when one person is teching up because their opponent starts taking territory from them, and then loses it later when the higher tier units come online and start pushing the weaker units back. There's also a lot of gain to be had by salvaging wrecks, so just killing a bunch of enemy units can be an economic boon as well, and it means that winning a battle can be important just so that you can recycle the destroyed remains of the battle back into more units on your side.

Your commander starts off as a super powerful unit that can singlehandedly wipe out large amounts of enemies, but then late game becomes a liability as your commander is also your single point of failure - you lose if your commander dies. It means that the game can have some surprising upsets when one player snipes the other's commander, or one player overextends earlygame and gets their commander pushed back to base, which causes that player to cede map control and resources.

Experimentals are also absolutely fantastic, artillery that can fire across the map is amazing (and absurdly fragile + expensive), and the way game enders work, especially with the fact that a downed super unit is worth a ton of material if the enemy harvests it, makes the end game a lot of fun. Hell, there's one game ender that is literally just infinite resources. If you build it, your only constraint is how much capacity you have to build structures. Another is an experimental nuclear silo that builds extra powerful nuclear missiles staggeringly quickly. Then there's the gatling mobile artillery piece that fire shells at an obscene rate across most of the map, which is only rivaled by the static artillery piece with functionally infinite range that fires small nuclear shells.

None of them are cheap, and they exist mostly as a way to convert an economic edge into a military edge, or as a desperate last resort when the enemy is knocking down your gates because you've funneled everything into a weapon that can win the fight in a single shot.

Edit: To bring this back around to modding - there's a mod called Forged Alliance Forever where people continually balance the game and have made a number of changes aimed at making the game more interesting to play. One major change is that your first high tier factory is expensive, but subsequent high tier factories are cheaper, which means that players are incentivized to build more factories rather than one big factory surrounded by tons of engineering drones.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Danaru posted:

The hardest working redshirt was the guy on the original Enterprise who got vaporized by a phaser, then showed up for work a few episodes later without anyone acknowledging it. Dude's a king

I mean, with the way transporters work, they probably just quietly resurrect the deceased redshirts and hope the officers don't notice.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

I'd rather they get my pattern and skip the deconstructing me part and just construct a new me at a target location. There is literally no reason that a transporter has to annihilate you on the one end other than to just not be a cloning machine.

Oh and also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXKUcsvhQc

Man, and now I'm envisioning a horrifying situation where clones are beamed onto a planet and each clone has a built in explosive or other timer that kills them after a set amount of time so that you don't end up with random clones walking around.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhhhh.

What mod is that? Because that looks like pawnmorpher which despite describing mutations in extreme detail, I think is surprisingly non-horny about it, to the point it's actually more interesting from a gameplay point of view for seeing what weird traits people pick up when they get hit with mutagens.

I also don't recall it having sex organs???

It's at least two mods. Pawnmorpher is the mutation one, and some variation of safejobworld or rimjobworld is the sex organ one. The latter mods are extremely hosed up and should not be used under any circumstances.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's an in game button.

And it's in a bar...

The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: The Swastika Speakeasy

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Look, we can't make fun of people just because they have some absurdly large but somehow non-cancerous tumor in their abdomen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

bony tony posted:

I kinda like it. Cyperbunk's textures are a mess of garbage, and this'll give it some more contrast.

The only issue I can see is that some of the darker textures don't translate well. The black car they jump into looks terrible because it wasn't designed with the art style in mind. Anywhere where it's well lit and the objects aren't black looks really good though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ariong posted:

The main thing I took away from that mod is that having the swastikas be toggled by a button hidden in-game is an extremely stupid and funny solution to the problem.

This is also only acceptable if said button makes the airships randomly catch fire and/or explode if the button is toggled.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

sebmojo posted:

In a sense every video game character is, an object

:hmmyes:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

...In that case that's actually worse than I thought? Having a modlist author deciding that that one mod that was discontinued and archived five years ago is absolutely the best way a feature x was ever implemented and then using the rest of the modlist to twist the Skyrim beyond the breaking point to ensure it works with modern mods doesn't strike me as ideal.

Eh, sometimes you want to go back and use a modlist that you discovered someone put together 2 years ago or something. Having modlists that work is really helpful, and if it's one that is actively being maintained, then I imagine that they continue to update it as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Orv posted:

Just imagining having to get the fitted sheet on and I hate it.

gently caress fitted sheets.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

silentsnack posted:

Even better, they both have to be asleep in the same bed for the possible event to trigger (MTBF x hours) to wake up in the middle of the night to gently caress. Like there's no motivation or conscious choice leading the pawns to take any action, the universe just flips a coin to decide whether 2 unconscious people accidentally bumble their way into copulation.

Pretty sure it only happens if they're lovers though. You can assign two people who aren't in a relationship to the same double bed, but they're understandably not happy about it. And, to be fair, in the past it only had to handle two people who were lovers in the same assigned bed, so making them do the deed when they were both in bed at the same time on a random chance was perfectly reasonable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

gyrobot posted:

Of course I saw this coming, everyone saw it coming.

No, that's a different mod.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Also means they can glow red when they go into murder mode.

I'm pretty sure they're already in murder mode.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If your penis is able to form the shape of a dolphin, that may actually be more concerning.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

That mod is equal parts awful and awesome, and I love every part of the explanation in the video.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

F-Zero lore is so loving balls-to-the-wall insane, I love it. You've got an evil omnicidal intergalactic cyborg clown on combat drugs, and he's in a room with a haunted skeleton drag racer, a fat android with a moustache, an anime nerd mercenary, a UN field medic, somebody's girlfriend, a jazz singer, a bounty hunter, the bounty hunter's evil mirror universe clone, the Power Rangers villain who made the evil mirror universe clone, and two weird guys in a pod racer. They drive cars around and sometimes explode.

At one point, more or less unrelated to all this, the bounty hunter encounters a sadistic god who massacred an entire dimension by forcing every single person to death-race him until nobody was left, and of course they immediately have a death-race.

Absolutely unhinged game series, it's like if every Saturday morning cartoon ever made got together to snort cocaine and start an illegal street racing tournament. loving love F-Zero, we need more of that kind of unapologetic batshit maximalism (especially in mods; it's literally never not funny to me when Captain Falcon gets modded into other poo poo)

F-Zero GX is still my favorite racing game to this day. It has such a good sense of speed, a great risk-reward mechanic with destroying other racers, and, as you mentioned, an absolutely batshit insane cast that, by the way, each have their own music video. Oh, and custom parts to make your own vehicles if you didn't get what you wanted out of literally everything else.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Did they ever let you build settlements that don't look like poo poo? It has always amused me that the new construction still looks faded and broken - there should be that contrast between the new buildings going up and the old dilapidated ruins of the previous civilization.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Now we just need every NPC to tell you about another settlement. I think it would take me about 5 minutes to go full raider and annihilate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

TGLT posted:

The explosion reflection stuff is the Chunky Salsa rule.

This is now my second rule in gaming.

My favorite rule is still from the board game Dungeon Petz. When an older pet in that game is not purchased by any player and is removed from the game, they are taken to a farm somewhere to live out their life. In a completely unrelated turn of events, one piece of meat is placed into the food area. These two events are not connected. It's just a rule.

As an advanced option, the piece of meat can be replaced with a gold coin for the golem, vegetable food for the plant monster, or nothing at all for the ghost. Again, these events are not connected, they're just a rule.