Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Backhand posted:

Plus, I simply don't trust professional writers at all, given how industry back-scratching works; independent youtube reviewers tend not to have that problem. Anyone remember that big fiasco with.... was it IGN? Several years ago? Firing one of their writers after he gave a game a bad review, because the company had shelled out a lot of advertising money for the game on their site? I don't believe for one second that that kind of thing doesn't still go on. At the very least, no company is going to bite the hand that feeds, and they all like getting early review copies.

You're thinking of Jeff Gerstmann, formerly of Gamespot, founder of Giantbomb and that was over a decade ago. And lol if you think youtubers aren't way more blatantly paid off than games journalists.

E: Not to say there's no merit to those videos. They're useful for raw gameplay if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TTBF posted:

Every single thing you've said here is as far from the truth as possible.

You could not find enough evidence of corruption across the entire history of games journalism to match up to an average week of gaming YouTubers. Turns out its a lot easier to bribe fanboys than professionals!

And corruption aside, there's still the fact that a long-lasting fan of a series, or a specific type of game might (at least initially) also be less critical than someone with a broader scope. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Is there any way to mod Giant Bomb to replace Vinny's model with Mario's?

Rude!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Discendo Vox posted:

Then again I also think Half-Quake is a series everyone should play to completion, so what do I know.
Yeah, that's a reeeeeal tall order.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not sure, but I do know the trilogy was added to Steam fairly recently.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Finally. STALKER modding has arrived.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Doc Hawkins posted:

no, dmosfensm
That's the name of the modder, and his mod, which I only found due to his ranting in the comments of another, more popular mod.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I guess I'd call it Not-Quite-H-Doom?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-6u1n0cZFI
E: Hot drat, it's like an all you can fetish buffet. :stonk:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They only live for 3 or 4 years tho. :smith:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

I used to own a bunch of rats (which are adorable, playful and very affectionate animals, by the way) so I'm unfortunately kind of used to my pets dying quickly.
Rats are also cute imo but I don't think I could deal with the heartbreak.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rollersnake posted:

Rats are totally unlike what I expected any kind of cage pet to be—they're like tiny, shortlived dogs. They're awesome, and I never want to keep any again—it feels horribly unfair for any animal with that much intelligence and personality to have such a short lifespan.

Edit: Somebody should design a mod to fix this. :v:

Gambian pouched rats can live for around seven years but I'm pretty sure they're not really available for most people.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Definitely more on the awesome side, somebody's working on a very faithful remake of Dark Omen in Unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9pHyjC6Vmc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I decided to install the STALKER Demofsen mod on a whim. The main reason I know of its existence is that its titular creator was spamming the Anomaly moddb page a while back, accusing them of stealing.

It's about the level of mod you'd expect from someone like that.

Like a lot of other, modern mods for the game, it's based on Call of Chernobyl and I decided to start in the Cordon because it's what I know. So first off, it spawns you right next to an enemy base that you pretty much just have to run through if you wanna reach the rookie camp. That might be a CoC thing though, I dunno. Anyways, a few random thoughts and screens.

-Enemies all have lifebars. In this case, it's the bar of a pseudodog which wasn't attacking me for some reason. Oh yeah, that's because pseudodogs and cats and maybe other monsters (but definitely not boars) seemed almost completely passive. They just wandered the landscape getting shot by me and NPCs.

-Speaking of the landscape, there was just a random section of Cordon that was littered with, like, 20 Anomalies in a 10 meter radius. They weren't there when I started another game in that area to test something, maybe something went wrong? The Cordon's also been extended eastward and it's just a whole load of bland nothing.

Which kind of seemed to be the thing about the mod in my short time with it. There's just a lot of empty landscape with not a lot of points of interest, or A-life.
-Meet goth girl:

She's got some sort of untranslated backstory cutscene or something when you accept her quest to find a new gun. I skipped it. If you ask about your reward she punches you and starts shooting. I guess it's a sexual thing? Still, it could be worse, she could look like this:

Who I assume is another NPC, one I sadly didn't find.
-There's a stripper pole in the bar in Rostok

And

-Anyway, I quickly got bored and quit, which does mean I wasn't able to find another notable character.

Geee, seems familiar...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That one dude who makes those Hot Topic skin packs is at it again. This time for that new stars war game.

I just don't get it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ruflux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVx7mSsQoW4

I think this may be the most insane and ridiculous Half-Life 2 mod I've ever seen. Oh yeah and it only has the best name for a Source mod ever too.

Apparently this whole mod was made by a woman named Eyaura Eya over 12 years and I just kind of can't comprehend having that level of dedication to an idea. Something like Black Mesa is impressive as hell of course, but that at least had a whole team of volunteers. This is apparently (largely, at least) just one person, which is just crazy. I really hope this ends up on Steam soon because I'm sold based on visuals alone. It's pretty unique for Source, although there's certainly been games on Source with a similar aesthetic but probably none that are quite as ambitious.

Yeah, I've been seeing this mod pop up for years, though I never played the demo. Getting some EYE vibes from it in all of its overambitious, janky, Source-engine glory.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Archonex posted:

NATO+G-String stuff
According to her moddb profile, the creator is from Japan so that might put a different spin on the whole NATO stuff. Whether she's just using it as a surface-level thing, or if it's some nationalistic statement, I obviously don't know. Aaaaaaand I will say that a flag on a website profile doesn't mean much and for all I know she's just a western weeb. But still, there is the possibility that she's approaching it from an angle that's got nothing to do with an American conspiratorial zeitgeist.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The cowards!

quote:

During the process of going retail and contacting VALVe the issue of a possible name change came up. It's not that a game with this title can't go on Steam but people are concerned about the marketability of something that sounds like G String, essentially a woman undergarment.

For short it might get lost in a sea of women's undies links on google. The long-term marketability is what's the issue here.

The arrangement is, as always: you decide:

G STRING

or

G STRAND

If you have better suggestions we are open but also this is easiest so the logo doesn't change much. If you think this is an awful idea we stick to G String and forget this happened, again: it's up to you.

Please let me know what you think below, I really want to know.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A trend I'm seeing that I hate is people making mods for/about their favourite obscure youtubers.

:wtc:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Today, in celebration of its final part being released, I'm gonna talk about an Awful Mod that I love.

Just Another Day is a long-running, satirical mod series for Freespace 2. It's got disco music. It's got impenetrable references to the FS2 modding community. It's got Derek Smart as a featured antagonist. And then it gets weird. And then it gets anime.

You see, I'd essentially divide the series between JADs1-3 and the later-developed JADs2.2.1-2.2.3. Yes this makes no sense, yes this is confusing. The former mods are a strange but comparatively traditional set of missions. You play as Alpha 1, the default callsign of the player character in almost every official and fan-made FS2 campaign, and must battle the machinations of FRED aka the game's editing program. In the latter series you play as three different anime teen archetypes (spoiled daddy's girl who's in love with the platonic ideal of Alpha 1, fame-obsessed hotshot ladykiller with a dark past, and completely bland, forgettable male character with brown hair) and must pilot experimental fighters to defend the galaxy against the devastating Beta Testers in a very obvious parody of Evangelion. Between campaign missions the mod features a fully functioning visual novel and it is a loooooooooooot.

Luckily, the writing is silly and even mostly funny, and the gameplay itself is a blast. JAD2.2 plays very differently from the base game in that many of its levels are boss fights, and your ships are nimble and borderline-OP. You're swatting down hordes of fighters with ridiculous firepower before hitting the berserk mode and doing the same to capitals. Despite its ridiculous nature, the things this mod does to the Freespace Open engine are nothing short of mindblowing. If you've got a copy of Freespace 2 and a tolerance for anime and disco, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. If you don't own a copy of Freespace 2 then I don't even consider you human.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bethesda had also flown her over to record lines for their next Elder Scrolls game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

Can we get a link to it, or am I not seeing it in the post?

Sorry. The easiest way to get FS2 mods, patches and mediaVPs up and running is to install the game and then just download Knossos. It's an all-in-one launcher that makes that stuff dead simple.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This FS2 mod looks loving wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8l4Yc7jTk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, you know of Freeman: Guerilla Warfare? It's basically Mount and Blade with a modern setting. The devs recently released an official mod for their own game and, uh.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAe6sgUwGmI

Apparently this mod is running on the Doom 2 engine.
Well, kinda. GZDoom to be exact. I really do need to play it one of these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kikas posted:

Assign them cats so they can learn to control their temper. It's all very light hearted despite there being a murder via plasma bomb explosion in the tutorial.

tbh that'd probably end up with a lot of ded cats

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I never really got the criticism that RA3 was somehow cheesier than RA2, when the latter was the one where Soviet cosmonauts attacked a psychic's moon base, shooting down flying saucers with laser guns. And the mission before that had you capture a rocket on Easter Island, while trying to avoid laser Moai heads. Then at the end of the Soviet campaign (can't remember the Allies' ending, because they're boring :colbert:), said wannabe-would conqueror psychic tries to use a time machine to undo your victory, but thankfully your catsuited girlfriend sabotaged it, ensuring he'd get eaten by a T-Rex. And that's somehow less wacky than giant mecha?

I mean yeah, RA3 was more upfront with the wackiness, but it was a little shallow compared to how nutso RA2 could get.

Internet Wizard posted:

It’s because RA3 added the Japanese with anime flavored units and we can’t have that in our serious game about future tech allies versus psychic soviets
Nah, it's because RA2 took its camp seriously while RA3 was more ironically self-aware, practically winking at the camera. Besides, you're acting like some people didn't complain that RA2 was also too cartoony in its time.

As for myself, I don't like RA3 as much as other C&C games because I just didn't think it was all that fun to play. Thought the economy was too restrictive and the units too fiddly. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The main character of RA1, the only good RA, is Stalin.

CSPAM is over there

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I thank god every day that goons are not allowed to make games.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Angry Diplomat posted:

This is absolutely the correct take in this specific case, but a) I maintain that this is an extremely funny concept for an RA army and b) some of the best roguelikes on the market are goon-made :colbert:
Roguelikes are bad and for bad people.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you played any of the following? (Off the top of my head)

• Dropsy
  • Hypnospace Outlaw
  • Gibbous: A Cthulu Adventure
  • Roundabout
No.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
But for real though, Brigador is fantastic, can't wait for Brigador Killers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Act of War was fun, I especially liked the Consortium's gimmick of going from middle eastern terrorists with RPGs and technicals to full on Cobra when you tech up and reveal your cloaking railgun tanks and high-tech Russian aircraft. I'm one of the few people who didn't hate AoA either.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

Act of Aggression is OK and was significantly improved by the big update they did that completely rejiggered how it worked.

I still miss the off map support from Act of War though, it was like playing CnC generals except you could call in airstrikes from Wargame Red Dragon. Absurdly lethal and super fun to use.

Yeah, come to think of it, was AoW the first game with an off-map airforce that was still controllable on the field rather than the designated airstrikes of C&C or COH? It's definitely become Eugen's calling card at least.

Anyway on the topic of mods and RTS, here is one for Yuri's Revenge that's also an anime visual novel??
https://www.moddb.com/mods/ts-another-world

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Forged Alliance Forever is arguably more than a mod, I believe it's the only way to play SupCom online these days. Might even be necessary to get it running on W10 for all I know.

Anyways, TA>SC

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't played it yet, but someone made a Spaceballs mod for Doom.
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/dbp24-spaceballs-the-sequel-the-search-for-more-dbp-maps

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some dude's making a fun looking gameplay mod for Blood and one of the new weapons is the orb from Phantasm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEnZgAg9FBI

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Modern Warfare Mod is a conversion that features patchnotes like

quote:

Flexible Interceptor (EXFLINT) 6.0.1 (mod engine for all guided missiles & projectiles):
Now supports G-loading computation for projectiles. Supported guided munitions with inherently low maneuvering capacity (e.g. GBUs, AGM-65 Maverick, etc) now have enforced G limit. Lateral accelerations (sharp turns, etc) requested from guidance commands in excess of the enforced G limit will be suppressed.
New algorithm for rendering displacement angle/angle of attack for projectiles in motion:
Missile nose will point to guidance command's lateral acceleration command, relevant from center of gravity (cG).
AGM-88 HARM, Kh-31P, Kh-25MPU and AIM-120C: Updated lofted trajectory algorithm.
And helpful infographics like

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
For all I know the lead is ex-air defence. The majority of his mod's youtube channel is videos of the missile/counter-missile dynamics in the game. They're cool looking even if I dunno wtf is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/user/blahdy21/videos

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh wow, I remember playing World in Conflict back in the day. I had no idea anyone even remembered it, much less were modding it into a hyper-realistic airspace denial simulator.

Multiplayer was real fun. Apparently there's a fan-run server after the official Massgate shut down that I may have to look into one of these days. No clue if it's very active.
http://www.massgate.org/downloads.php#fullclient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Post-apocalypse mod for GTA:SA.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/grand-theft-auto-wasteland

Currently Russian only, because of course it's Russian.