Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Novajam has provided all the summary we need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH9dnQfec9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSypj0fNbaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

My favorite lazy paid mod thing was the number of pay-to-win cheat mods that for like a buck would give you 5000 gold or some poo poo, like literally console commands but as mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Actual trolls show up to attack the project periodically.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Would the phrase "Something awful this way comes!" to announce the boss troll's arrival be a bit too on the nose?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I mean, in fairness, they asked him in the context of talking about how he was busy uploading (presumably his) mods.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

reductio ad adsurdum

It's not even a fallacy. These motherfuckers think that just because you describe something in Latin it's some spell to abjure whatever someone's point is (see also "ad hominem").

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, it exposed and exacerbated some dumb bad poo poo that already existed but I also don't think it had much of a long term impact.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

:nws: :nws:

:stonk:

fake edit: Ellen's Bendy Boobs

You could carry out an hors d'oeuvres tray on them titties.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Android Blues posted:

This is also sort of a Bee Movie meme revival, because the original swarm of Bee Movie memes are at least three, four years old at this point, maybe more. For this batch I'm guessing someone with tumblr followers found an old meme they liked and decided to lovingly cultivate it.

There was this really hilarious and horrifying thing floating around a while back about how they actually had to surgically alter Jerry Seinfeld into a man-sized bee.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

Remember that super serious combat AI enhancement mod that just increased the aggro range on enemies? And how the mod author claimed they had some sort of Skyrim AI simulator that he used to make the mod?

That seems familiar but different to DUEL Combat Realism. Is it one of these: https://sites.google.com/site/grimyskyrim/mod-critiques

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

And we will say, BAKA!!!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

So is this the thread to talk about how Nerd of Prey, (former?) goon modder who made Immersive Laundry and Cidnha Mine Expanded, had now made "The Erotic Adventures of Misty Skye." :shepicide:

edit:

No longer having to fear the judgement of goons has set him free.

Also the threshold for getting in the secret modders' VIP lounge is hilariously low since even I can get in it with my 2 simple-rear end SDV mods and a patch for some other actually important Skyrim mods, lol.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So it seems this has happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFGpxVHqDo&t=96s

quote:

The mod author wanted to control who could speak about her work online, and while the real world doesn't work that way MxR, the Youtuber she went after with a copyright strike, something pretty serious for any channel to deal with, MxR decided he didn't need the headache of a legal battle over a few minutes of mod being featured in one of his videos so he is not reuploading the video in question.

The mod author was completely in the wrong. Once you release a creative work into the world, like a game, music, TV show, movie, book, etc., you don't get to control who or when people discuss it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/619wy9/whats_up_with_the_drama_surrounding_the_floating/

eta: mator's comment on the reddit thread are loving feisty. Makes me wonder what's been going on in the world of Mod Picker since a similar "I made this mod so I think I get to control who can say what and how about it!" issue comes up there.

eta2: At 29 minutes into that youtube video he goes into the huge screen the mod author wrote while the mod was down.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 27, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jayme posted:

I'm reading the reddit thread, and of course our favorite modder Arthmoor is wading in waist-deep in defense of the poor modder whose work has been so cruelly misused, with bonus fundamental misunderstandings of the terms "fair use" and "copyright."

I missed this on my read through so I'm looking at comments listed by date and it seems like apollodown might be a lawyer?? :psyduck:

quote:

You don't need a judge to sign a settlement. That's why Arthmoor betrays his lack of legal knowledge when he claims a settlement would be 'on file'. It is far more probable than not that if it's a settlement a judge has never even seen it, because a judge would only look at it under specific circumstances(ie. class action settlement approval). For example, my firm does settlements in one field of law.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

There are lawyers who play video games.

Go check out some of his descriptions for his mods and you'll see that "a lawyer?? playing video games???" is not what's confusing me. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

:vince:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And welded the hugbox shut by setting up to ban anyone who said mean nasty things (like constructive criticism) about the Artist's magnificent and perfect works bestowed upon all Player-kind. Thou should not complain about the bloom effects and lore contradictions, for they art part of thy Artists's fruits and thou should be grateful for thy boon of their oversized floppy cocks amidst HD-re-rendered cityscapes.

Nexus admin dark0ne posted:

I honestly think you’re underestimating the trolling power of some individuals within the community. I think you seem to think that rating trolls are idiotic children who TyPe LiKe ThIs and rate mods 1 out of 5 with the comment “ThIs MoD iS poo poo LOLOLOL!!!111”.

Ratings on the Nexus used to be attached to a minimum character limit comment that went along with the rating. This was when we used a weighted rating system using a very specific algorithm in our top files.

While hundreds of people would rate a mod 5 out of 5, you’d get trolls who would deliberately rate a mod 3 or 4 out of 5, and attach a well-written and cohesive reason for it. We’re talking someone rating Wyrmstooth or Falskaar 3 or 4 out of 5 because they found that certain textures were of a lower quality than elsewhere in the mod (providing specific examples, so they did their homework), or because they found the voice acting was slightly subpar and so on and so forth. Basically, using subjective opinions as a reason to rate a mod lower. Written very well, but you knew it was trolling, or at least twattish, because no one expects an amateur mod to be professional quality and/or recorded in a sound studio in Hollywood. But how can you tell someone their subjective opinions are wrong?

If you remove that rating, that troll will come down on you hard. Why aren’t his “opinions” valid when everyone else’s are, simply because he doesn’t agree with everyone else? “You’re just like the Nexus and want to bubble wrap the mod authors”, and so on and so forth.

What, you’re going to let the rating stand? Watch how others who don’t like the mod author realise this and jump on the band wagon. They’ll begin filing similar ratings just to piss off the mod author because they said something on these forums or the official forums that then got shared on Reddit/4Chan/some social network site about paid modding/file permissions/enter some equally controversial topic here that wasn’t popular with a certain group of people, so they want to get their own back. Once they have a barometer on ModPicker of what is and isn’t acceptable, they’ll skate that line of acceptability to the fullest extent, and word spreads fast.

How are you going to deal with such ratings that, yes, can upset mod authors despite there being hundreds of good ratings to offset this?

It sounds ridiculous. It sounds like I’m being over the top and exaggerating. I’m not. It wasn’t just a small problem, it was a big problem for the Nexus. Several of the mod authors in this thread who are against your rating system were around when this was happening and they can certainly vouch for it. You might think you can moderate it, but you can’t. To think you can is arrogance (or naivety).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

Jesus, why even bother having ratings for your dumb mods at all if you're gonna regard a 3 or 4 as trolling? Just put a 'Like' button there, kill the review box, and forget about it.

Well, that's more or less what they did with the "Endorse" button. If I understand the context of that post right, it's a response to someone calling for a return to a 5-star rating system.

eta: No, wait, on reconsideration I think it's actually a dire warning for the people making Mod Picker.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 11, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah I'm not really against only having an Endorse button. I just find it hilarious that "They'll troll mod authors with well-reasoned and coherent opinions about why their mods only deserve 4 out of 5 stars!" was apparently the reason for implementing it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dwesa posted:

But weirdos harassing mod author for 18 pages because author dared to make less sexual female armors? That's fine.

I always figured that mod would catch a lot of grief but never looked into it. "Good" to know my intuition was correct!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

My fav part was "We’re talking someone rating Wyrmstooth or Falskaar 3 or 4 out of 5..."

Heaven forbid somebody doesn't agree with the hive mind adulation of these unquestionably Good Mods for any reason! (This is "objectivity.")

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

You may think he's crazy or exaggerating, but believe it: people wrote well-thought-out reviews explaining their less-than-perfect ratings. It happened!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What's new in Stellaris modding? Oh, the "RPG Traits" mod, looks like a good option for a RP-focused game, wonder wha-

^^^literally the first preview image.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937456012

Made worse by the fact that the example is a snalien species. Why must you be mean to snailiens, they are the best.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

See this would actually be an interesting trait: they don't have much raw intelligence but they have a certain cunning that enables them to manipulate others than underestimate them. Might be a net disadvantage but there would be fringe benefits they could work with. But I dunno, even if you're being very clinical about the word "retarded" as a diagnosis, do we have to showcase "Retarded Snail People"?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This assumes the average mod-maker has a project coder's ethos and not a "done when I feel like it" attitude. Expecting developer-quality milestones and QT is not going to fly when the vast majority of them can't stand any form of criticism and will only release their pretty code baby when they think it's ready. Those stupid developers have NO PLACE expecting an a[u/r]tist to meet project goals and maintain contact with Bethesda to update them on content development pipelines.

Filtering out prima-donna babies seems like an unqualified plus to me tbh.

eta: whoops, seems this is a well-plowed field.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 12, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Nah, man, this is how Whitenlore: the Beartime is going to take the gently caress off.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

From what I can tell this is a lot more like a freelancing system for add-on content than "paid mods."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

E: amazingly pretty much everyone in the mod author's forum topic on the Nexus thinks that this is a good idea, and I haven't seen anyone saying that they expect to be accepted.

I was disappointed by this fundamentally reasonable reaction where the only thing close to mock-worthy is their smug certainty that the plebs will melt down again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sordas Volantyr posted:

As a followup to this guy: While the actual Final Fantasy thread can give you a much more comprehensive list as to why this mod is absolutely insane to play for any reasonable person, allow me to give you one of the more outrageous aspects of this mod:

Not only does it expect you to grind like there's no tomorrow, it also expects you to know the correct way to grind, or else your grinding will leave you worse off than just going in without having ground at all.

He also supposedly would have temper tantrums about cheating when people beat his supposedly unbeatable optional superboss, iirc.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

This is a particular modder/romhacker quirk I've never understood: they'll make some boss "unbeatable", someone else will post a video of them using an utterly insane strategy to beat it, and they'll promptly update the mod to make the boss immune to that strategy in response.

Why? If they were all "of COURSE it's beatable, you just have to git gud scrub :smug:" I'd understand (if also roll my eyes as hard as humanly possible), but no. They expect their pet boss to be literally unbeatable and apparently take players actually finding ways to defeat them as a personal affront.

See I could accept this if they responded by adding some new optional megaboss that isn't vulnerable in that way as a kind of ongoing challenge for people who like that stuff. It's the "getting for-real mad about it" part, being really personally invested in making something people can't beat, that I don't get. I'd like to think I'd be impressed if someone found a way to and use that as the basis for something new.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So here's an interesting new development: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=933055903

quote:

If you would like your own custom themed mod created, $30-$50, contact ADLER to discuss.

Mods on commission for anywhere from the price of a big DLC to nearly the price of whole game. :stare:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

As someone who works on by-commission basis, the weirdest thing about that to me is the price point; exactly what kind of 'custom mod' work are you getting for what would be, generously, maybe a day's pay? Even just a swap-job on names, portraits, and traits in a 4x game seems like it would be pushing it on that payment structure. How many people are even going to be interested? Even as a hobbyist thing, that's an odd approach.

Looking at it from that perspective I don't see how this makes sense for anyone. Even if I would consider paying for a custom mod, I would not pay anywhere near at least half the price of a full game, and as you point out, the mod maker is not getting much for the work needed to make anything worth the price. What the hell?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

I didn't even register the dick until my second glance.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: I didn't even register the dick until my second glance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Captainsalami posted:

Mods, please

Nice.