Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i watched the packers - falcons game at brewhouse in little 5 and when gabriel caught that TD the bar reaction was "who the gently caress was that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

FizFashizzle posted:

i watched the packers - falcons game at brewhouse in little 5 and when gabriel caught that TD the bar reaction was "who the gently caress was that"

p much. Between Hardy, Robinson and Gabriel, they should just have WR3 on the back of their jerseys because I'm sure no one knows who the hell they are.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

p much. Between Hardy, Robinson and Gabriel, they should just have WR3 on the back of their jerseys because I'm sure no one knows who the hell they are.

if its wr3 add sanu

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

FizFashizzle posted:

if its wr3 add sanu

Nah, Sanu is a nice #2. He came up big against GB. He may not be on the Devin Funchess level just yet, but maybe someday, somehow, he can reach such status.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Nah, Sanu is a nice #2. He came up big against GB. He may not be on the Devin Funchess level just yet, but maybe someday, somehow, he can reach such status.

Gotta hit the gym. Have a conversation with Prohel!

And watch your mouth bud that's Devin ONE FIFTY Funchess to you, pal!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Gotta hit the gym. Have a conversation with Prohel!

And watch your mouth bud that's Devin ONE FIFTY Funchess to you, pal!

Reeky Prowl is basically the WR whisperer. You don't just drop 10/150/2 through 6 games during your sophmore year without some serious coachings goings on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Funchess is playing very well, outside of his once a game holding penalty.

Someone on reddit post a gif of every route he's run this year on all 22 and he generally runs better routes than benjamin or ginn (lol)

Cam just never looks for him for whatever reason.

He's the Panthers fourth option in the passing game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's behind Fozzy Whitaker in receiving stats lol yikes

He must get his pregame pep talks from D. Parker!

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
Team: TBD Chargers

Record through 8 games: 3-5. More on this later.

Offensive grade: D. Although improvements in the O-Line have happened as well as some upgrades at certain skill positions, the offense has murdered this team's chances at winning several games already. Specifically: two fumbles lost against the Saints to allow them to come back from 13 behind with less than 5 minutes left in regulation, and a fumble lost against the Colts to kill a come from behind win that was most certainly within their power. There are three more losses to account for, but by other units on the team. That said, the run game has improved, Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin are upgrades to the WR 3 and 4 positions from last season, but injuries to Stevie Johnson and Keenan Allen have forced them into the WR 1 and 2 positions. Hunter Henry is doing what Ladarius Green never could do, and that is take over for Antonio Gates. In all, the offense SHOULD be better, but key injuries and an ungodly number of fumbles are killing this team.

Defensive grade: B-. In the context of the last several years, this is an A+. The defense has proven to be hugely upgraded even with key injuries. They create turnovers, have held at key moments against the Broncos and Falcons to eke out wins against teams they had no business beating, and rookies and FA acquisitions have filled in spectacularly. Manti Te'o was lost, being replaced with Jatavis Brown who has more than supplanted the now expendable Te'o. Casey Hayward has proven to be an effective CB1, though I think he will eventually be replacing Brandon Flowers rather than Jason Verrett who is on IR. Flowers has been okay/good when healthy, but he hasn't been healthy. That, along with his bloated contract, will likely see him restructured for a lot less or cut this offseason. And then there's Brandon Mebane and Joey Bosa -- the biggest reasons for the upgrade. Mebane quickly became the heart and soul of this defense while Bosa has become the ten-foot dick that's been slapping opposing offenses. More on Bosa later.

Special Teams grade: Holy loving poo poo F-. I don't know what the hell is wrong with special teams play outside of the muffed punts and kickoffs which are on individual players. They don't gain yardage, and the team does touchbacks all day every day to avoid seeing constant 35-40 yard KRs.

Coaching grade: I'm going to include the front office in this grade for reasons that will be clear shortly. F-. I am a believer that this team should be 6-2 at a minimum right now. I blame the coaches (not exclusively) for the losses against the Chiefs, Broncos round 2, and Raiders. Although there were other factors at work in those games, the fact that this team won 3 games at all with Mike McCoy is astounding. However, to compound the problem, one differencemaker who should have been on this team from day 1 was Joey Bosa. He held out because of a contract dispute in the offseason, perpertuated by noted shithead John Spanos. I won't get into the particulars, but it would have taken 20 minutes to get him signed with a decent compromise if Spanos had figured out his original offer was bullshit. Bosa could have been the guy to change the outcome of most all the games he missed. The team is fortunate to have him at all. That said, this team also needs to be rid of Mike McCoy in the worst way. He's got a lot of good qualities, but a willingness to learn and adapt is not one of them, and it's costing this team a lot of games.

Overall grade: D. This is not a team that can be carried by the defense, but it should be a team that can win throughout the season even against good teams with a balanced offense and defense. I won't give this team the benefit of the doubt about injuries because they've proven they can adapt to some measure, but not enough because of the head coach. So they will likely miss out on the playoffs again, lose more games in hilarious fashion, and fire McCoy at the end. Hopefully they'll draft a quarterback to take over for Rivers in a couple years, but I'm afraid it might already be too late to get him a ring.

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Jatavis Brown, a 5th round pick overlooked only because he played in a small conference. He should have been a 1st round pick, he's that good. Joey Bosa came as advertised. Casey Hayward, whom I'm certain the Packers are missing right now has been overachieving with all the pressure being on him as CB1 when he was originally supposed to be a slot CB or rotate as CB2. Also I'm going to cheat this one because Matt Slauson and Brandon Mebane both have been hugely positive for the team in almost identical ways, solidifying the center of the offensive and defensive lines.

Most disappointing players(3): Travis Benjamin is a great, speedy runner, but holy poo poo he cannot contest a ball even in the slightest. Also it turns out he sucks at kick returns. Who knew? Manti Te'o is done as a Charger and I'm sure everyone knows this now including him. While not a player, John Spanos deserves mention for the Bosa cockup and running Eric Weddle out of town, who has been one of the top-performing safeties this season. gently caress you Spanos.

Short summary: Great team, but fire McCoy and draft a QB soon. Do something about the strength and conditioning programs because this many ACL tears in three years can't be coincidence. Also gently caress Dean Spanos and John Spanos.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

He was WR1 for the Browns at times last year.

I kinda feel like we cut the wrong midget receiver this year, but baby hawk is having a decent year so :iiam:

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Flikken posted:

He was WR1 for the Browns at times last year.

I kinda feel like we cut the wrong midget receiver this year, but baby hawk is having a decent year so :iiam:

Honestly, I knew nothing about him. He has been a very pleasant surprise, little dude has no fear and soft hands.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Honestly, I knew nothing about him. He has been a very pleasant surprise, little dude has no fear and soft hands.

Last year the top 3 Browns receivers were 5'10"(Travis Benjamin) 5'8"(Taylor Gabriel) and 5'7"(Andrew Hawkins) we had the shortest receiving corps in the NFL. Gabriel is a good dude, was an UDFA and will give it his all. I hope he goes on to have a solid career.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

They should all have "Not Harry Douglass" on their jerseys

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Ummagumma posted:

Team: Chicago Bears

Record through 8 games: 2-6

Offensive grade: D+ Until Cutler's return, it was the lowest scoring offense in the league. I think it still is. The offensive line and the new OC both looked overmatched early on, but both have improved. Jordan Howard looks legit.

Defensive grade: C- Injuries have ravaged this unit, particularly the secondary. They do fairly well with what they have, and the pass rush is starting to show signs of life as Leonard Floyd figures things out.

Special Teams grade: D+ Connor Barth is bad at his job. Pat O'Donnell is not much better, and there have been some coverage issues.

Coaching grade: D+ I like what Fangio has done given all the 3rd and 4th stringers in the secondary, but I'm not sure about everyone else. Fox's clock management skills and conservatism are maddening at times, too, and he genuinely believed Hoyer is better than Cutler. Loggains has improved from where he was at the start of the year, but 16.4 ppg is pitiful no matter how you slice it. I can understand the hot seat reports.

Overall grade: D+

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Jerrell Freeman. I did not think Whitehair would adjust to center so quickly, he's been a revelation. Freeman tackles just about everything and is a major upgrade over the bums we trotted out to play ILB the past couple seasons.

Most disappointing players(3): Bobby Massie, Alshon Jeffrey, Connor Barth. I'm not sure about these choices. I think we expected Massie to struggle with pass protection, and he has. Jeffrey has not been awful by any means,
but I think Bears fans expected a bit more from him given his (likely) free agency. Barth makes us miss Robbie all that much more, even if Robbie's play was starting to slip.

Short summary: No one expected much from the Bears this year except for a bit of improvement, especially on the defensive side of the bar. They've failed to meet these modest expectations. Injuries certainly are a major factor. Losing Cutler for a long stretch of time and countless other key players on both sides of the ball does handcuff the coaching staff, exposing a lack of depth which is the legacy of years of poor drafting. At the same time, there's been some baffling playcalling, questionable coaching decisions on Fox's part, and times where they take far too many penalties. In general, the team feels inconsequential and does not seem close to mattering again. There are some brightspots, though: the interior of the offensive line is fantastic, some young players are starting to emerge (Meredith, Howard, Whitehair, Goldman, Callahan), and more of Pace's draft picks are making an impact. They just have a long way to go, talent wise, especially if they are moving on from Cutler after this year.

I am struggling to figure out what to make of the Bears. The offensive line the first couple weeks was pretty terrible. But whatever adjustment they have made since seems to be working. They can't score, but they have been getting offensive yards. And they just handled a pretty good defensive front down their two best starters.

The Bears have deliberately gotten rid of all their veterans and are turning this roster over with some serious youth, but I am struggling to find a position that I feel needs a desperate influx of talent outside of offensive tackle.

Cutler is Cutler, but when he gets protection, we know you can win with him. Jeffrey is legit, Meredith has shown flashes and White was even showing some improvement. Zack Miller is doing better than I expected in the absence of Black Unicorn. And Jordan Howard is the truth. We need to upgrade the tackles, but even Massie's contract is designed so he can be cut after this year. And the man can run block. Our interior line is awesome and Long hasn't been healthy.

On the defensive side, Hicks is the bomb. Goldman could be a stud. We have young guys on the line who l think should develop. Freeman and Trevaithan are such big upgrades from last year. Willie Young can get to the QB and last week was the first time we had McPhee, Young and Floyd in the same game and they looked great. (Against the Vikings, I know) It's hard not to feel good about our pass rush. The secondary is young as gently caress, but they don't seem terrible.

I honestly love the way this roster is being built. So why the gently caress are they so bad? Is the inconsistency a youth thing and should I give credit to the coaching for the way player development is coming along? Or should I blame coaching for clear, unforgiveable errors that have cost the Bears at least two wins and hurt their chances of competing in a division that should be surprisingly in reach?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

tadashi posted:

The Falcons are a lot of fun to watch. Part of that is probably how many points their defense gives up meaning a lot of their games are a lot closer than they should be.
Agreeing with this as a new NFL fan who kind of randomly decided on the Falcons as my team of choice. Been great fun to watch.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Shangri-Law School posted:

Team: Detroit Lions

Record through 8 games: 4-4

Offensive grade: B

Defensive grade: F-

Special Teams grade: B

Coaching grade: C-

Overall grade: C

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Matthew Stafford, Travis Swanson, Kerry Hyder

Most disappointing players(3): Ziggy Ansah, Haloti Ngata... :sigh: ... DeAndre Levy

Short summary: When Matthew Stafford plays perfectly, the Lions win. There is nothing else keeping them afloat. The defense is the worst in football and the running game has been less than anemic since Ameer Abdullah went on IR. A lot of other people are on IR too. Ironically, the most vulnerable position the Lions had entering the season, wide receiver (all four of them!), has not had any trouble with injuries... for now.

Jim Bob Cooter should bump the coaching to C+ imo

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

pasaluki posted:

Jim Bob Cooter should bump the coaching to C+ imo

Haha yeah I extremely care and value the difference between C- and C+

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Brannock posted:

Haha yeah I extremely care and value the difference between C- and C+

I'm always looking for any excuse to post "Jim Bob Cooter"

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Team: Baltimore Ravens
Grade: Dumb

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Flikken posted:

Last year the top 3 Browns receivers were 5'10"(Travis Benjamin) 5'8"(Taylor Gabriel) and 5'7"(Andrew Hawkins) we had the shortest receiving corps in the NFL. Gabriel is a good dude, was an UDFA and will give it his all. I hope he goes on to have a solid career.

I like Gabriel a lot. I thank you for he and Alex Mack :cheers:

Chichevache posted:

They should all have "Not Harry Douglass" on their jerseys

Oh Harry. Good guy. Don't miss him.

Serotonin posted:

Agreeing with this as a new NFL fan who kind of randomly decided on the Falcons as my team of choice. Been great fun to watch.

Welcome! Prepare to have your heart broken! :v:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I like Gabriel a lot. I thank you for he and Alex Mack :cheers:

OK thats just twisting the knife.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

I honestly love the way this roster is being built. So why the gently caress are they so bad? Is the inconsistency a youth thing and should I give credit to the coaching for the way player development is coming along? Or should I blame coaching for clear, unforgiveable errors that have cost the Bears at least two wins and hurt their chances of competing in a division that should be surprisingly in reach?

Having to start Hoyer and losing about half the defense at various points contributed a ton. Fangio held his side together really well, Loggains is coming along. If it turns out Fox was holding out a healthy Cutler, he needs to be fired.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Welcome! Prepare to have your heart broken! :v:

This is why I picked the Falcons. Being a supporter is no fun when you always win. My 35 years as a West Ham fan has taught me true meaning of disappointment. gently caress glory hunters.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Team: Denver Broncos
Record through 8 games: 6-2
Offensive grade: B-
Defensive grade: A
Coaching grade: A
Overall grade: B+
Most outstanding/surprising players(3):Trevor Siemien, Devontae Booker, Bradley Roby
Most disappointing players(3): Not sure, probably someone to blame on our O-line
Short summary: I think a lot of people wrote off the Broncos as being able to maintain their championship swagger, which isn't surprising considering historically the championship team has a much harder time repeating the following year. That is, unless you are the Broncos that pulled it off in '97 and '98 :smug: I'll be honest I wasn't expecting much this year with all the departures and supposedly having no QB. Glad to see that was all bullshit and the Broncos look poised to once again take part in the AFC Championship, probably against the Patriots... again...

Offensively I think most people are surprised that Siemien is getting it done, at least in a better way than Manning and Osweiler could. Devontae Booker is looking great, and the offense is moving the ball enough to let our defense, the actual good part of the team, shine. Defensively, I am surprised and elated that we not only look good, but maybe even better than last year. Our secondary statistically is better than this time last year, and the pass rush is pressuring like crazy. The Broncos currently allow the fewest yards per game in the NFL, and despite injuries and free agency losses, the next guys in line have stepped up big time.

We have a pretty easy schedule but a surprisingly brutal division this year. The Chiefs and Raiders are winning games and even the Chargers are only a few games back. This division was owned by the Broncos for many years, but this is the year that we may have to settle for a wild card. Either way I am loving pleased with how the season is going and look forward to some ridiculously close games because I will be damned if we put more than 30 points on a team the rest of the year. Also Von Miller still loving rocks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Filthy Casual posted:

Having to start Hoyer and losing about half the defense at various points contributed a ton. Fangio held his side together really well, Loggains is coming along. If it turns out Fox was holding out a healthy Cutler, he needs to be fired.

Fox was 100% holding out a healthy cutler. It's ridiculous how he attempted to hide it , too

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Fox was 100% holding out a healthy cutler. It's ridiculous how he attempted to hide it , too

I agree on both counts. I think promote Fangio and be done with it.

I also have issues with the way the offense was trying to force Kevin White into a prominent role. He didn't earn it, despite his improvement as the season went on. When Floyd looked lost earlier in the season, they had no problems pulling him. It makes me think that they aren't serious about extending Jeffrey and that infuriates me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

Team: Detroit Lions

Offensive grade: B

Defensive grade: F-

Coaching grade: C-

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Matthew Stafford, Travis Swanson, Kerry Hyder

Most disappointing players(3): Ziggy Ansah, Haloti Ngata... :sigh: ... DeAndre Levy

Short summary: When Matthew Stafford plays perfectly, the Lions win. There is nothing else keeping them afloat. The defense is the worst in football and the running game has been less than anemic since Ameer Abdullah went on IR. A lot of other people are on IR too. Ironically, the most vulnerable position the Lions had entering the season, wide receiver (all four of them!), has not had any trouble with injuries... for now.

I would replace Levy with Decker just because I don't think it's fair to call a guy who hasn't played disappointing.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

But Decker's been pretty good. Maybe Devin Taylor.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I give hawks a b-, lots of room for improvement but injuries are a partial excuse, and they're still usually winning

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

I agree on both counts. I think promote Fangio and be done with it.

I also have issues with the way the offense was trying to force Kevin White into a prominent role. He didn't earn it, despite his improvement as the season went on. When Floyd looked lost earlier in the season, they had no problems pulling him. It makes me think that they aren't serious about extending Jeffrey and that infuriates me.

If they go from Marshall + Jeffrey to only White in a few years I'm gonna post really angrily

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mastershakeman posted:

If they go from Marshall + Jeffrey to only White in a few years I'm gonna post really angrily

white and hoyer

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Hoyer is a good backup, but he is not a good starter.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Jaguairds
F

for gently caress the Jaugiars

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Green Bay Packers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Team: The Houston Texans
Record through 8 games: 5-3
Offensive grade: The offense has been atrocious. Osweiler stinks, the blocking has been bad due to injuries and disappointing seasons. Jeff Allen is a major bust, meanwhile the guy he replaced makes just $1m more per season and is far superior to him. Center is a disaster after Nick Martin required surgery and went to IR. Lamar Miller does this thing where he feels a light breeze and falls down a lot of times, but you can see he's explosive when he actually gets a hole to run through. Osweiler stinks. The WRs can't seem to get open basically ever and when they do Osweiler throws it behind them or over their heads. Osweiler stinks. D-
Defensive grade: Surprisingly stout given JJ Watt being gone. One of the better pass defenses in the league. Terrible against the run though, teams just run all over them. B-
Special Teams grade: Awful. The return game is as usual terrible, and they had to burn a timeout against Detroit because they managed to line up for a kickoff with only 10 men on the field. They give up big returns all the time and Lechler seems to be letting age catch up to him. Despite this, it's still better than it's been in recent years. C-
Coaching grade: O'Brien can't make mid game adjustments. They keep doing the same things that haven't worked all game without deviating from the script. Romeo keeps having his CBs line up 10 yards off their man, even in goalline situations. Even when the ball is on the 3. D
Overall grade: The record is deceiving. They've beaten exactly one good team (KC), one who knows team (Detroit), and a bunch of schlubs. Granted, their road schedule has been brutal. Minnesota, New England and Denver. But they've been completely destroyed in all three of those games. The comeback against Indy gave a little bit of hope, but Osweiler was lackluster against the worst pass D in the league in Detroit. Osweiler stinks. D
Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Clowney has been brilliant. This is the guy we were supposed to see when he was drafted. He's finally healthy and he's a monster. CJ Fiedorowicz has surprisingly turned into a real tight end, running good routes, showing good hands, getting open and blocking well. I didn't like the Will Fuller pick, but he's shown that he was a smart call despite his sometimes infuriating lack of hands. He'll drop an easy over the shoulder touchdown, then catch a leaping bullet in traffic while getting drilled by two different defenders. It's mystifying
Most disappointing players(3): Osweiler stinks. Jeff Allen is looking like a big time FA bust. Kareem Jackson has taken a big step back this season, but injuries are part of that.
Short summary: Osweiler stinks.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Niners: F

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Summary of votes of everyone who wrote up something:

A : Patriots, Vikings
A- : Raiders
B+ : Chiefs, Falcons, Broncos
B : Washington, Seahawks
B- : Giants, Falcons, Packers
C+ : Bills, Eagles
C : Texans, Lions
C- : Buccaneers
D+ : Bears
D : Colts, Panthers, Chargers, Texans
D- : Ravens, Jets
F : 49ers, Bengals

SA posters are pretty rough graders

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol the vikings

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Serotonin posted:

This is why I picked the Falcons. Being a supporter is no fun when you always win. My 35 years as a West Ham fan has taught me true meaning of disappointment. gently caress glory hunters.

Don't worry, if you want a team that won't always win, you picked a great one in the Falcons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Team: New Orleans Saints

Offensive grade: A

Defensive grade: D

Special Teams grade: D

Coaching grade: C

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Drew Brees, Michael Thomas, Max Unger

Most disappointing players(3): Animal's kid (James L), Jarius Byrd, Coby Fleener

Short summary: The season started poorly as the Saints had a couple of close losses and then a blowout loss to the Dirty Birds. But, they've come back and won four out of their last five to even their record at 4-4. They're second in a weak NFC South and have a tough schedule ahead. The last two years, the Saints have overcome a crap start to even their record to 4-4, and then they've crapped the bed. Will this year be different? The offense is still at a high octane pace, and the offensive line has been MUCH better than feared. We seem to have nailed our #1 receiver of the future in Michael Thomas. The defense has been softer than a melted Snickers bar, but it has shown some life at times for a defense that is basically starting a bunch of rookies/castoffs. In what has become a familar refrain, Drew Brees is going to have to sling it for 5000 yards and keep the offense ahead of a mediocre defense, but it's not inconceivable that they will be in the hunt for a wild card or possibly the NFC South if the Falcons swoon. They get a C, but if the defense starts to jell a bit, they could become a B+ player.

• Locked thread