Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

fsif posted:

Agree with almost everything, except for the disappointing players. Taylor has had a few inaccurate throws, but a majority of them are ones competent receivers still catch. His decision making has been great and his rushing and ability to escape pressure have been outstanding. He was certainly the best offensive skill player on the field yesterday.

I'd put Gilmore, Darby, and Clay as the three biggest disappointments.

Tyrod has a bizarre skillset, but overall the good that he does still outweigh the bad.

To me the strangest attribute he has, is that despite being pretty inaccurate throwing, running alot, and throwing on the run he does not turn the ball over. All of those things should lend themselves to increased fumbles and interceptions but not with Taylor.
I've even seen him several times scrambling and he looks completely out of control with the ball only secured with one hand and his arms are flailing around and nothing bad ever happens to him. I think Taylor has a special kind of sense/awareness that protects him from making disastrous throws and makes him extremely elusive. That is truly part of his magic.

His fatal flaw is short and intermediate passing. He usually does not completely whiff on receivers like EJ but he does not hit them in stride and he has an inconsistent level of zip on the ball like he will bullet a ball that needs to be thrown with air and lofts the balls that need to be threaded and thrown in front of his receivers. It is hard for him to get into a rhythm passing and he abandons/doesn't trust the pocket enough. That said he is perhaps better off outside the pocket anyway.

The deep ball is there so that the other teams don't infinitely stack the box. He throws a decent (not amazing) deep ball that is effective mainly because other teams have to then actually cover our receivers.

My concern with the Bills is that they have a very specific way they need to win football games. I call it the "Run or Die" Offense. The Bills with even moderate success running are difficult to beat because running successfully causes all of Tyrods strengths including the deep ball, and his own running ability to be significantly amplified. When the Bills are behind and they have to pass all of Tyrods weaknesses are instead amplified.

Now running to set up the pass is not a new concept but this Bills team is pretty extreme in this regard. If it can run it can do everything. If it can't run it can do nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Shangri-Law School posted:

Team: Detroit Lions

Record through 8 games: 4-4

Offensive grade: B

Defensive grade: F-

Special Teams grade: B

Coaching grade: C-

Overall grade: C

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Matthew Stafford, Travis Swanson, Kerry Hyder

Most disappointing players(3): Ziggy Ansah, Haloti Ngata... :sigh: ... DeAndre Levy

Short summary: When Matthew Stafford plays perfectly, the Lions win. There is nothing else keeping them afloat. The defense is the worst in football and the running game has been less than anemic since Ameer Abdullah went on IR. A lot of other people are on IR too. Ironically, the most vulnerable position the Lions had entering the season, wide receiver (all four of them!), has not had any trouble with injuries... for now.

Jim Bob Cooter should bump the coaching to C+ imo

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Brannock posted:

Haha yeah I extremely care and value the difference between C- and C+

I'm always looking for any excuse to post "Jim Bob Cooter"

• Locked thread