Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

weird Asian candy posted:

Another Falcons fan here? :aaaaa:

I'll add to what you said.

Defensive grade: D- : Hard to argue based on the sheer amount of points they have given up, however, a lot of those points have come in garbage time and when playing a very soft cover three zone. When they have switched out to man defense, given the speed and agility of our young guys, they have fared well. I mentioned in the other thread, switching to man shut down Green Bay's final drive...I wish they would do more of it.

They also are light years ahead of where they have been in terms of pass rush. Beasley is showing up, Clayborn has been great, Freeney has proven to be a worthy signing, hell even Brooks Reed has been applying pressure. With some better play, and experience for the youngsters (Neal, Jones and Campbell) I think this unit could do really well. Grady Jarrett is a loving boss, Tru is one of the best in the league, and when Alford isn't grabbing people he is a solid #2.

Special Teams grade: B? : I'd give them an A. Their special teams this year is actually very good and Bryant and Bosher are both excellent.

Coaching grade: B- : Shanahan and his game plans have been outstanding, but Quinn/Smith and the defense have been suspect. I hope DQ puts his stamp on this defense and we start seeing more than just flashes of being good. I applaud DQ and his 4th down decisions, I have no gripes with him other than this defense not doing as well as I thought it would.

Overall grade: B- : I'd put them at a B+. They are 5-3, have one of the best offenses in the league, an MVP candidate in Matt Ryan and arguably the best WR in football in Julio. They are a couple missed calls, and weird plays away from 7-1 and have beaten both Superbowl participants last year (even though Carolina is trash this year), went into Seattle and played them well enough to win and same with a very underrated San Diego squad.

Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Vic Beasley busting out has been both outstanding and surprising.
Keanu Neal has been an amazing addition to the defense, dude is going to be special.
Tyler Gabriel has really been cool to watch, which has surprised the poo poo out of me.

Most disappointing players(3):
Ryan Schraeder has taken a step backwards from last year.
Ricardo Allen I thought would build off his season last year, but he has regressed.
Jalen Collins can't even get on the field and as a 2nd round pick that is hugely disappointing.

Short summary:
The offense, while they most likely cannot sustain the pace they are on, looks like it can put enough points to hang with the best defenses in the league. The defense is very young and inexperienced, they are going through some growing pains at the moment but if they can continue to learn and gel, could transform into a good unit with Neal, Jones, Campbell, Beasley, Jarrett, Clayborn, Trufant and Alford at it's core. The pass rush is showing up, which is very promising. Put an average defense with this offense and they can make some noise.

It is TAYLOR Gabriel you savage <:(>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

p much. Between Hardy, Robinson and Gabriel, they should just have WR3 on the back of their jerseys because I'm sure no one knows who the hell they are.

He was WR1 for the Browns at times last year.

I kinda feel like we cut the wrong midget receiver this year, but baby hawk is having a decent year so :iiam:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Honestly, I knew nothing about him. He has been a very pleasant surprise, little dude has no fear and soft hands.

Last year the top 3 Browns receivers were 5'10"(Travis Benjamin) 5'8"(Taylor Gabriel) and 5'7"(Andrew Hawkins) we had the shortest receiving corps in the NFL. Gabriel is a good dude, was an UDFA and will give it his all. I hope he goes on to have a solid career.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

I like Gabriel a lot. I thank you for he and Alex Mack :cheers:

OK thats just twisting the knife.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Hoyer is a good backup, but he is not a good starter.

• Locked thread