Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Team: New England Patriots
Record through 8 weeks: 7-1
Offensive grade: A
Defensive grade: B
Special Teams grade: B
Coaching grade: A+
Overall grade: A
Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Tom Brady - Not surprising surprising, but 73% completions, 12 TD's, 0 Ints, 9.8 YPA so far. He's been on fire and hitting a ton of deep passes which is something that he hasn't really had reliably since Moss.
Martellus Bennett - Was expected to be a complimentary player but while Gronk and Brady were out, he was Garapollo's main target and hauled in 27 of 35 targets and 4 TD's.
Jimmy Garapollo - He looked like rear end up until the first 6 quarters of this year in getting the Patriots to a 2-0 start.
Most disappointing players(3):
Logan Ryan - Having a poor year, eventually benched for Eric Rowe as the 2nd CB.
Stephen Gostkowski - Having some issues with kicks I guess
Jabaal Sheard - I mean I guess we could say he's not providing enough of a pass rush? It's tough to find a 3rd guy that's really disappointed over what was expected of them, maybe Nate Solder has been a bit iffy in pass protection at times?

Short summary: I expected the Patriots to go 1-3 or 2-2 if things went well to start the season without Brady, and then Brady to need a little time to acclimate to the offense. instead they went 3-1 and Brady has been lights out, which leads to a 7-1 team.

A ton of praise has to go to the coaching, they've had excellent game plans against everyone except I suppose the first Bills game, but an injured rookie QB and Edelman isn't exactly something you can expect to win with. But this offense is reliably out-scheming opponents, getting guys open and clamping down on defense in the red zone, and generally being in position to make plays on defense and ST which just points to very good coaching.

Tom Brady is playing out of his god damned mind right now. On 3rd down, he's currently 28 for 38 with 25 first downs and a perfect passer rating. Overall, he's at a 134 passer rating. The receivers have also been very good, with Gronk being ridiculous, Edelman being good, but not quite what he has been the last two years, and Bennett, White, Hogan and Amendola all providing a ton of options so he can pick on the worst of opposing defenses.

Blount has been better then expected as well, though he is not a standout running back, he is a solid hammer to end games or pick on dime defenses. He's been getting way more work then you'd expect so far due to circumstances (160 rushes, 600 yards) and probably will be used a bit less in the 2nd half of the season. James White has also been a bit better then expected, but is still an average to below average player overall. Dion Lewis is also practicing finally, and if he can be anything like he was last year, oh my god.

The offensive line is a problem, and has been for the last two seasons, but it's been an overcomable problem, but a good front four would be a significant problem for the Patriots at this point. Nate Solder has given up a number of sacks and the offensive line overall has given up a large number of hits and pressures. They've been much better run blocking at least, and they've been much better and significantly more reliable then last year at least.

On defense, they're taking bend but don't break to hilarious levels. They're giving up a large number of long completions and long runs, a ton of 1st downs, but... few points. Part of that is the level of opposition and injuries but... the rest of the season holds the Seahawks, 49ers, Jets, Rams, Ravens, Broncos, Jets and Dolphins, so that's probably not changing much on defense for the Pats.

The Pass rush has been anemic, but for the most part they've been content to drop into deep zones and tackle everyone in front of them. This must be a scheme choice because why not force Osweiler or Landry Jones to beat you, or possibly being forced to do this due to problems with CB #2 and whomever's at safety across from McCourty. When they blitz they tend to get home and tend to save it for important plays and have tended to look a lot more exotic in the red zone. The linebackers have been good, but gimpy due to nagging injuries. That's the main area which should hopefully improve as the season progresses.

Special teams has been a mixed bag.... Too many fumbles, and Ghost has been a bit erratic on FG's, but the coverage units have been very good and Ryan Allen has been fantastic punting.

Overall I'm stoked, if this team stays healthy they should be favorites for the Superbowl and what more could you possibly want then that? They have weaknesses and areas of concern, but they also have Brady, Gronk and a bunch of secondary options who can score 30 a game reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

tadashi posted:

I think Bills fans should be ecstatic about Taylor. How often can you sign a backup QB (well, to that point in his career he was) in free agency who goes on to be a very competent starter?

Yeah, they're thrilled with what they've gotten from him, but I understand the reluctance to sign him to a long term deal considering he does have some issues and his playstyle tends not to age well.

I think they will end up doing that though, he's shown enough for long enough that I think he's a solid franchise quarterback.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Summary of votes of everyone who wrote up something:

A : Patriots, Vikings
A- : Raiders
B+ : Chiefs, Falcons, Broncos
B : Washington, Seahawks
B- : Giants, Falcons, Packers
C+ : Bills, Eagles
C : Texans, Lions
C- : Buccaneers
D+ : Bears