Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog
Team: Chicago Bears

Record through 8 games: 2-6

Offensive grade: D+ Until Cutler's return, it was the lowest scoring offense in the league. I think it still is. The offensive line and the new OC both looked overmatched early on, but both have improved. Jordan Howard looks legit.

Defensive grade: C- Injuries have ravaged this unit, particularly the secondary. They do fairly well with what they have, and the pass rush is starting to show signs of life as Leonard Floyd figures things out.

Special Teams grade: D+ Connor Barth is bad at his job. Pat O'Donnell is not much better, and there have been some coverage issues.

Coaching grade: D+ I like what Fangio has done given all the 3rd and 4th stringers in the secondary, but I'm not sure about everyone else. Fox's clock management skills and conservatism are maddening at times, too, and he genuinely believed Hoyer is better than Cutler. Loggains has improved from where he was at the start of the year, but 16.4 ppg is pitiful no matter how you slice it. I can understand the hot seat reports.

Overall grade: D+

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Jerrell Freeman. I did not think Whitehair would adjust to center so quickly, he's been a revelation. Freeman tackles just about everything and is a major upgrade over the bums we trotted out to play ILB the past couple seasons.

Most disappointing players(3): Bobby Massie, Alshon Jeffrey, Connor Barth. I'm not sure about these choices. I think we expected Massie to struggle with pass protection, and he has. Jeffrey has not been awful by any means,
but I think Bears fans expected a bit more from him given his (likely) free agency. Barth makes us miss Robbie all that much more, even if Robbie's play was starting to slip.

Short summary: No one expected much from the Bears this year except for a bit of improvement, especially on the defensive side of the bar. They've failed to meet these modest expectations. Injuries certainly are a major factor. Losing Cutler for a long stretch of time and countless other key players on both sides of the ball does handcuff the coaching staff, exposing a lack of depth which is the legacy of years of poor drafting. At the same time, there's been some baffling playcalling, questionable coaching decisions on Fox's part, and times where they take far too many penalties. In general, the team feels inconsequential and does not seem close to mattering again. There are some brightspots, though: the interior of the offensive line is fantastic, some young players are starting to emerge (Meredith, Howard, Whitehair, Goldman, Callahan), and more of Pace's draft picks are making an impact. They just have a long way to go, talent wise, especially if they are moving on from Cutler after this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread