Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Well teams are either finished with their week 8 games, or about to finish or will be finished tonight/tomorrow night, which will mark the halfway point of the season, unless your team had an early bye, in which case you can grade them next weekend. (oh God, the season is going so fast :ohdear: )

Here's a little format to use:

Team:
Record through 8 games:
Offensive grade:
Defensive grade:
Special Teams grade:
Coaching grade:
Overall grade:
Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Most disappointing players(3):
Short summary:

Team: Washington Redskins
Record through 8 games: 4-3-1(fuuuuuck that tie today....)
Offensive grade: B-
Defensive grade:B-
Special Teams grade:C
Coaching grade:B
Overall grade:B
Most outstanding/surprising players(3):Jamison Crowder, Kirk Cousins, Jordan Reed
Most disappointing players(3): Josh Doctson, DeSean Jackson, Bashaud Breeland

Short summary/rationale:
The record through 8, if you had asked most fans at the beginning of the season, they would probably take. In retrospect it's disappointing because they had a real shot at being 6-2 going into the bye. Lost after taking the lead with a minute left in Detroit and then blowing the kick in overtime vs the Bengals. Still, it doesn't put us out of the thick of things. The team got a B overall based on the individual component grades, and the fact that they don't totally crumble with adversity. In previous years, after missing the field goal in OT, the Skins definitely would have let the Bengals march and get their own field goal shot. Instead, they didn't quit and caused another turnover.

On offense, things are clicking really well between the 20s, which, if that was the only thing to grade on, they would be an A+. Cousins is moving the ball very effectivley and we have good but not great running backs while our TE corps is outstanding. The Red Zone woes knocked this grade to a B-.

The defense is in the lower half of the league but have improved week to week for the most part. They also get graded on a curve since like 70% of the salary cap resources are dedicated to offensive players.

Special Teams, despite today's fuckup, is generally reliable, at least in the kicking and punting game. Coverage remains an issue.

Coaching - I like Gruden, and he's definitely a great schemer and offensive minded coach, but his clock management skills have to improve. He seems to have a good bond and rapport with the players, though.

No real surprises on my outstanding list - Crowder is one of the most dangerous return men and receivers in the league right now, IMO. Cousins has finally started to pick up where he left off last season except in the Red Zone, and Jordan Reed is just insanely good.

Disappointments are 1st round pick being wasted on a position where we have a lot of depth and then winding up on IR and not contributing. DJax may have finally outlived his usefulness to us - he bitches about not getting the ball then drops an easy TD vs the Eagles, and he's having trouble getting open even in an offense where we always have someone open - maybe because he's dinged up a lot more now. Breeland makes the list because I genuinely believe him to be one of the up and coming young corners in the league, but he isn't playing up to the standards that he's made us expect from him in pervious seasons, when he single handedly shut down Dez, etc.

Overall, I would say I'm satisfied, but not happy, with the first half performance of the team, taking all things into account. We appear to be one of those teams that could either win or lose any given Sunday, as long as they play sound fundamental football, which is such a marked departure from the teams prior to last season. I will have meaningful football to watch into November for the first time in consecutive seasons since I was a teenager in the 1990s.

So, how's your team doing?

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread