Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Ummagumma posted:

Team: Chicago Bears

Record through 8 games: 2-6

Offensive grade: D+ Until Cutler's return, it was the lowest scoring offense in the league. I think it still is. The offensive line and the new OC both looked overmatched early on, but both have improved. Jordan Howard looks legit.

Defensive grade: C- Injuries have ravaged this unit, particularly the secondary. They do fairly well with what they have, and the pass rush is starting to show signs of life as Leonard Floyd figures things out.

Special Teams grade: D+ Connor Barth is bad at his job. Pat O'Donnell is not much better, and there have been some coverage issues.

Coaching grade: D+ I like what Fangio has done given all the 3rd and 4th stringers in the secondary, but I'm not sure about everyone else. Fox's clock management skills and conservatism are maddening at times, too, and he genuinely believed Hoyer is better than Cutler. Loggains has improved from where he was at the start of the year, but 16.4 ppg is pitiful no matter how you slice it. I can understand the hot seat reports.

Overall grade: D+

Most outstanding/surprising players(3): Cody Whitehair, Jordan Howard, Jerrell Freeman. I did not think Whitehair would adjust to center so quickly, he's been a revelation. Freeman tackles just about everything and is a major upgrade over the bums we trotted out to play ILB the past couple seasons.

Most disappointing players(3): Bobby Massie, Alshon Jeffrey, Connor Barth. I'm not sure about these choices. I think we expected Massie to struggle with pass protection, and he has. Jeffrey has not been awful by any means,
but I think Bears fans expected a bit more from him given his (likely) free agency. Barth makes us miss Robbie all that much more, even if Robbie's play was starting to slip.

Short summary: No one expected much from the Bears this year except for a bit of improvement, especially on the defensive side of the bar. They've failed to meet these modest expectations. Injuries certainly are a major factor. Losing Cutler for a long stretch of time and countless other key players on both sides of the ball does handcuff the coaching staff, exposing a lack of depth which is the legacy of years of poor drafting. At the same time, there's been some baffling playcalling, questionable coaching decisions on Fox's part, and times where they take far too many penalties. In general, the team feels inconsequential and does not seem close to mattering again. There are some brightspots, though: the interior of the offensive line is fantastic, some young players are starting to emerge (Meredith, Howard, Whitehair, Goldman, Callahan), and more of Pace's draft picks are making an impact. They just have a long way to go, talent wise, especially if they are moving on from Cutler after this year.

I am struggling to figure out what to make of the Bears. The offensive line the first couple weeks was pretty terrible. But whatever adjustment they have made since seems to be working. They can't score, but they have been getting offensive yards. And they just handled a pretty good defensive front down their two best starters.

The Bears have deliberately gotten rid of all their veterans and are turning this roster over with some serious youth, but I am struggling to find a position that I feel needs a desperate influx of talent outside of offensive tackle.

Cutler is Cutler, but when he gets protection, we know you can win with him. Jeffrey is legit, Meredith has shown flashes and White was even showing some improvement. Zack Miller is doing better than I expected in the absence of Black Unicorn. And Jordan Howard is the truth. We need to upgrade the tackles, but even Massie's contract is designed so he can be cut after this year. And the man can run block. Our interior line is awesome and Long hasn't been healthy.

On the defensive side, Hicks is the bomb. Goldman could be a stud. We have young guys on the line who l think should develop. Freeman and Trevaithan are such big upgrades from last year. Willie Young can get to the QB and last week was the first time we had McPhee, Young and Floyd in the same game and they looked great. (Against the Vikings, I know) It's hard not to feel good about our pass rush. The secondary is young as gently caress, but they don't seem terrible.

I honestly love the way this roster is being built. So why the gently caress are they so bad? Is the inconsistency a youth thing and should I give credit to the coaching for the way player development is coming along? Or should I blame coaching for clear, unforgiveable errors that have cost the Bears at least two wins and hurt their chances of competing in a division that should be surprisingly in reach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Fox was 100% holding out a healthy cutler. It's ridiculous how he attempted to hide it , too

I agree on both counts. I think promote Fangio and be done with it.

I also have issues with the way the offense was trying to force Kevin White into a prominent role. He didn't earn it, despite his improvement as the season went on. When Floyd looked lost earlier in the season, they had no problems pulling him. It makes me think that they aren't serious about extending Jeffrey and that infuriates me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Filthy Casual posted:

I hope Pace doesn't get stingy with Jeffery, because he has a real nice shot to give our team good receiving records for a change.

I will give Pace the benefit of the doubt because it is hard to fault his evaluation of talent so far. He has consistently tried to make this team younger and more athletic. He has used free agency mainly as a way to address major need areas in the short term.There is a legitimate chance that Jeffrey just doesn't want to stay in Chicago. That has come up too many times for me to dismiss it our of hand.

• Locked thread