Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

tadashi posted:

Team: Your first place Atlanta Falcons

Record through 8 games: 5-3

Offensive grade: A
They're not ridiculously talented, they just find a way to make things work for them. I don't know if they are really the "best" offense in the league, but they sure as hell can score.

Defensive grade: D-

Special Teams grade: B?
Matt Bryant is good.

Coaching grade: B-
The coaching staff has felt like they're making things up on the fly at times. It's hard to figure out what part of this year's success is blind luck and what part is genius since a lot of their organizational decisions seem to push against crowd logic.

Overall grade: B-

Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Matt Ryan - He doesn't suck. Finally getting the chance to throw the ball downfield sometimes without fear of losing his head. His average runs are above his career average, too. He's getting blocks but he's still a smart guy who makes some clutch throws to stay out of worst case scenarios.
Tevin Coleman - Who the gently caress is Tevin Coleman? We wish him well on the road to recovery.
Devonta Freeman - I have to give it to the Falcons. For all the seemingly dumb draft day things they've done, they have cobbled together an excellent RB tandem.
Vic Beasley - Not a bust. Seriously, the Atlanta sports media thought it was over for him when the Falcons decided to move him because it seemed like they were looking for a miracle. He's got 7.5 sacks so far after being moved to the strong side. It looks like he's preying on the inferior blockers on that side. Suddenly, they have a player to build around, I guess.
Keanu Neal? - 3 forced fumbles and he fits their bend don't break scheme. Much better than expected, probably about as good as could be hoped. The question will always be if they could have done more with a different draft strategy. I'm not an NFL encyclopedia, so I'm not the person to figure that out.
Most disappointing players(3):
The defense is always the biggest disappointment but it surprisingly could be a lot worse.

Short summary:
Offense - All the loving yards.
Defense - There's no way they can keep allowing this many points and keep winning games.

The Falcons are a lot of fun to watch. Part of that is probably how many points their defense gives up meaning a lot of their games are a lot closer than they should be.

Another Falcons fan here? :aaaaa:

I'll add to what you said.

Defensive grade: D- : Hard to argue based on the sheer amount of points they have given up, however, a lot of those points have come in garbage time and when playing a very soft cover three zone. When they have switched out to man defense, given the speed and agility of our young guys, they have fared well. I mentioned in the other thread, switching to man shut down Green Bay's final drive...I wish they would do more of it.

They also are light years ahead of where they have been in terms of pass rush. Beasley is showing up, Clayborn has been great, Freeney has proven to be a worthy signing, hell even Brooks Reed has been applying pressure. With some better play, and experience for the youngsters (Neal, Jones and Campbell) I think this unit could do really well. Grady Jarrett is a loving boss, Tru is one of the best in the league, and when Alford isn't grabbing people he is a solid #2.

Special Teams grade: B? : I'd give them an A. Their special teams this year is actually very good and Bryant and Bosher are both excellent.

Coaching grade: B- : Shanahan and his game plans have been outstanding, but Quinn/Smith and the defense have been suspect. I hope DQ puts his stamp on this defense and we start seeing more than just flashes of being good. I applaud DQ and his 4th down decisions, I have no gripes with him other than this defense not doing as well as I thought it would.

Overall grade: B- : I'd put them at a B+. They are 5-3, have one of the best offenses in the league, an MVP candidate in Matt Ryan and arguably the best WR in football in Julio. They are a couple missed calls, and weird plays away from 7-1 and have beaten both Superbowl participants last year (even though Carolina is trash this year), went into Seattle and played them well enough to win and same with a very underrated San Diego squad.

Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Vic Beasley busting out has been both outstanding and surprising.
Keanu Neal has been an amazing addition to the defense, dude is going to be special.
Tyler Gabriel has really been cool to watch, which has surprised the poo poo out of me.

Most disappointing players(3):
Ryan Schraeder has taken a step backwards from last year.
Ricardo Allen I thought would build off his season last year, but he has regressed.
Jalen Collins can't even get on the field and as a 2nd round pick that is hugely disappointing.

Short summary:
The offense, while they most likely cannot sustain the pace they are on, looks like it can put enough points to hang with the best defenses in the league. The defense is very young and inexperienced, they are going through some growing pains at the moment but if they can continue to learn and gel, could transform into a good unit with Neal, Jones, Campbell, Beasley, Jarrett, Clayborn, Trufant and Alford at it's core. The pass rush is showing up, which is very promising. Put an average defense with this offense and they can make some noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Flikken posted:

It is TAYLOR Gabriel you savage <:(>

See, he is so surprising I don't even know his name! :v:

He is awesome though, and I am thankful for T. Gabriel.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

i watched the packers - falcons game at brewhouse in little 5 and when gabriel caught that TD the bar reaction was "who the gently caress was that"

p much. Between Hardy, Robinson and Gabriel, they should just have WR3 on the back of their jerseys because I'm sure no one knows who the hell they are.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

if its wr3 add sanu

Nah, Sanu is a nice #2. He came up big against GB. He may not be on the Devin Funchess level just yet, but maybe someday, somehow, he can reach such status.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Gotta hit the gym. Have a conversation with Prohel!

And watch your mouth bud that's Devin ONE FIFTY Funchess to you, pal!

Reeky Prowl is basically the WR whisperer. You don't just drop 10/150/2 through 6 games during your sophmore year without some serious coachings goings on.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Flikken posted:

He was WR1 for the Browns at times last year.

I kinda feel like we cut the wrong midget receiver this year, but baby hawk is having a decent year so :iiam:

Honestly, I knew nothing about him. He has been a very pleasant surprise, little dude has no fear and soft hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Flikken posted:

Last year the top 3 Browns receivers were 5'10"(Travis Benjamin) 5'8"(Taylor Gabriel) and 5'7"(Andrew Hawkins) we had the shortest receiving corps in the NFL. Gabriel is a good dude, was an UDFA and will give it his all. I hope he goes on to have a solid career.

I like Gabriel a lot. I thank you for he and Alex Mack :cheers:

Chichevache posted:

They should all have "Not Harry Douglass" on their jerseys

Oh Harry. Good guy. Don't miss him.

Serotonin posted:

Agreeing with this as a new NFL fan who kind of randomly decided on the Falcons as my team of choice. Been great fun to watch.

Welcome! Prepare to have your heart broken! :v:

• Locked thread