Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Team: Your first place Atlanta Falcons

Record through 8 games: 5-3

Offensive grade: A
They're not ridiculously talented, they just find a way to make things work for them. I don't know if they are really the "best" offense in the league, but they sure as hell can score.

Defensive grade: D-

Special Teams grade: B?
Matt Bryant is good.

Coaching grade: B-
The coaching staff has felt like they're making things up on the fly at times. It's hard to figure out what part of this year's success is blind luck and what part is genius since a lot of their organizational decisions seem to push against crowd logic.

Overall grade: B-

Most outstanding/surprising players(3):
Matt Ryan - He doesn't suck. Finally getting the chance to throw the ball downfield sometimes without fear of losing his head. His average runs are above his career average, too. He's getting blocks but he's still a smart guy who makes some clutch throws to stay out of worst case scenarios.
Tevin Coleman - Who the gently caress is Tevin Coleman? We wish him well on the road to recovery.
Devonta Freeman - I have to give it to the Falcons. For all the seemingly dumb draft day things they've done, they have cobbled together an excellent RB tandem.
Vic Beasley - Not a bust. Seriously, the Atlanta sports media thought it was over for him when the Falcons decided to move him because it seemed like they were looking for a miracle. He's got 7.5 sacks so far after being moved to the strong side. It looks like he's preying on the inferior blockers on that side. Suddenly, they have a player to build around, I guess.
Keanu Neal? - 3 forced fumbles and he fits their bend don't break scheme. Much better than expected, probably about as good as could be hoped. The question will always be if they could have done more with a different draft strategy. I'm not an NFL encyclopedia, so I'm not the person to figure that out.
Most disappointing players(3):
The defense is always the biggest disappointment but it surprisingly could be a lot worse.

Short summary:
Offense - All the loving yards.
Defense - There's no way they can keep allowing this many points and keep winning games.

The Falcons are a lot of fun to watch. Part of that is probably how many points their defense gives up meaning a lot of their games are a lot closer than they should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

fsif posted:

Agree with almost everything, except for the disappointing players. Taylor has had a few inaccurate throws, but a majority of them are ones competent receivers still catch. His decision making has been great and his rushing and ability to escape pressure have been outstanding. He was certainly the best offensive skill player on the field yesterday.

I'd put Gilmore, Darby, and Clay as the three biggest disappointments.

I think Bills fans should be ecstatic about Taylor. How often can you sign a backup QB (well, to that point in his career he was) in free agency who goes on to be a very competent starter?

• Locked thread