Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

e: reminder, the kin launched without a calendar app and was on the market for 48 days
it was the always connected media phone for incessantly texting and messaging teenagers that only checked for new messages every 15 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

microsoft really didn't fail at mobile because they didn't have competent people working on interesting things, so many attempts which were some proper management and a touch of commitment away from being a good product

e: reminder, the kin launched without a calendar app and was on the market for 48 days

they meant to pull it after a month but

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Agile Vector posted:

they meant to pull it after a month but

nice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
i'd love a smart flipphone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah actually, i sort of feel that matters have circled back around to a point where weird form-factors for phones may again be pretty workable. less app focus, digital assistants, phones interacting with other devices more cleanly, etc.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hello team, please assemble in the office for a 4am meeting so i can call you from mt kilimanjaro

whoops it messed up lets try again same time tomorrow

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk they are children phones who cares if theres a calendar i, a grown adult, basically never use the calendar on my stebephone

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bloody posted:

idk they are children phones who cares if theres a calendar i, a grown adult, basically never use the calendar on my stebephone

an example, it was like 95% of the way there but the remaining 5% was stupid important stuff, then pulling it off the shelves 48 days later to make room for windows phone 7, which was also a nice take that they then went on to repeatedly gut and redo until no one cared anymore (except i still use a w10m one for unclear reasons)

i sort of think the kin was even ahead of its time, just reviewing what it did again now and i still me thinking it is a very solid idea

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

hello team, please assemble in the office for a 4am meeting so i can call you from mt kilimanjaro

whoops it messed up lets try again same time tomorrow
during this meeting i will yell at you because testing is so far behind schedule because i took one of the precious few working prototype models with me to africa

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah thats fair. classic microsoft move tho, they've always been a bit stupid in the mobile world

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i sort of think the kin was even ahead of its time, just reviewing what it did again now and i still me thinking it is a very solid idea
kin was actually behind its time. it had the kernel of a good idea, a consumer phone aimed at connected teens and college aged kids that would be the logical next step up from their aging RAZRs

but by the time it got to market it had already been overtaken by things like droid and msft had realigned behind winpho 7

the 48 days on market was just a side effect of the contracts verizon and msft had signed. neither one wanted to pay the penalties if they canned the project so msft produced the minimum possible product and vzn did the minimum required to stock and promote it. it was a dead product walking, comparable to that apple/moto ROKR phone that arrived stillborn

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
wasn't the kin the one which you had to sign a full on dataplan for, negating any possible reason to buy it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

wasn't the kin the one which you had to sign a full on dataplan for, negating any possible reason to buy it

yeah, i think fmguru is 100% correct in that it was not meant to sell at all at the point it came out

i remain pretty convinced that there would have been room for it, and that the phone landscape will shift to be a bit more differentiated again as time goes on. mostly because the improvements the iphone forced on the web is rather loosening the need for a huge app ecosystem.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i think the spot is probably still a good idea?

(it was a green dot on the screen where you could drag media and links and text and it would pocket it, and you could just go into the spot and then decide what to do with it)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

however,

Spot was a feature that allowed users to add an e-mail address or telephone number to an SMS or MMS, or to attach content (e.g., text, URLs or photos) to emails.[34]

The Spot was represented as an omnipresent colored dot near the bottom center of the screen. To add an address field, the user dragged a recipient's photo to the Spot, then clicked on the Spot, opening a page that allowed the user to create a new email, SMS or MMS.

However, Kin did not support attachments to non-e-mail media such as MMS and could not be used to send content to social media sites.[34]

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, not followed through on at all, but it is sort of an interesting ui idea, have a place to which you can drag a bunch of media, people and/or apps, open it and it gives you some sensible options for what you can do to combine those things (e.g. send these pictures to a group conversation with these people)

i certainly *hope* that the phone sphere ends up with a bit more variety in the coming years, i am not at all sure the iphone should be the last word on this stuff

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its a shame that android is a pos and winpho is a graveyard

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

realtalk i would of bought a winpho if they had snapchat but they do not have snapchat

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is not good enough even if all the apps you need are on it, stuff like bluetooth has straight up regressed with the windows unification

the one real upside is that it is really well updated. it follows the normal windows schedule, and the core apps are the same bundles shipped on the desktop. with the obscurity it is likely the safest choice

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imagine being one of the engineers or devs working on the kin for like 3 years of your life and then it's on the market for 6 weeks and no one buys it or remembers it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

imagine being one of the engineers or devs working on the kin for like 3 years of your life and then it's on the market for 6 weeks and no one buys it or remembers it

the lead dev has killed himself in shame
have you informed his next-of-Kin?
sorry

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bloody posted:

realtalk i would of bought a winpho if they had snapchat but they do not have snapchat

you can't txt people photos of your junk? why do you need an app to do that?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I need an app for it and I cant really articulate why but snapchat is good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

however,

Spot was a feature that allowed users to add an e-mail address or telephone number to an SMS or MMS, or to attach content (e.g., text, URLs or photos) to emails.[34]

The Spot was represented as an omnipresent colored dot near the bottom center of the screen. To add an address field, the user dragged a recipient's photo to the Spot, then clicked on the Spot, opening a page that allowed the user to create a new email, SMS or MMS.

However, Kin did not support attachments to non-e-mail media such as MMS and could not be used to send content to social media sites.[34]

so basically the inbuilt share function on android except broken

doesnt ios also now allow third parties to populate the share dialog or is it still dependent on apple adding things to it?

i guess my point is that this is a solved problem

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

yeah getting paid to develop something but then never having to support it sounds terrible

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LastInLine posted:

so basically the inbuilt share function on android except broken

doesnt ios also now allow third parties to populate the share dialog or is it still dependent on apple adding things to it?

i guess my point is that this is a solved problem

apple allows whatever to add stuff to shares but theres some silly thing where like a file storage app sometimes doesnt let you move a file to another file storage app but it isnt clear who is not allowing that to happen

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

apple share sheet: files go in, they dont come out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

the calendar is one of the most important parts of my phone. so many excitign events and experiences and so little time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

I need an app for it and I cant really articulate why but snapchat is good

Instagram does transient video messages now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Foo posted:

InstaTramp

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods???

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Dickstagram

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Peckerest

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Yeah but neither me nor none of my friends care about instagram

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also it probably doesn't have a winpho app either

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The Kin was made for a boardrooms interpretation of what teens/college kids want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1w2IxMWQ1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAseSun2rA

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The Kin was made for a boardrooms interpretation of what teens/college kids want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1w2IxMWQ1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbAseSun2rA

im douchechillz.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

no wait i'm actually chouchedilz.com

yeah, that's me

• Locked thread