Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Her SAD is weird. Even with how sunny CO is during winter it doesn’t really help. Sun lamps don’t help, vitamin D pills (prescription) don’t help, we really don’t know what it is.

I had an epiphany yesterday when I realized that despite thrift stores never having anything that fits, eBay has a ton of stuff from brands I know fit. I got two J Crew shirts for $24 listed as excellent condition (coming out of my allowance). That is going to help me rebuild my work wardrobe a lot more quickly to replace all of the clothes that have fallen apart.

If you wait a couple months I'll get you a banana republic friends and family coupon where you get 40% off your total purchase from outlet stores. You can fill up shirts np.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That might not be a bad idea, thanks.

My company is having a monthly giveaway for the rest of the year as a celebration of a huge milestone. It’s a raffle where the prizes are an electric bicycle, a cruise, an eco-lodge stay, or a fishing boat. If I win I should get the boat, right?

Odds of me winning are probably about 2000:1, you get one entry each month for each year you have been at the company. Kind of a huge prize to be giving out, but it really is a tremendous milestone for the company.

My credit bump must be significant, I’m getting a lot more credit card offers in the mail. That still go into the trash.

Just sent a job opening to a former coworker. If he applies and gets hired (they’re having a hard time finding someone reliable and good with people) that’s $500 after 90 days and another $500 after 6 months. It’s not a ton, and it’s over 6 months, but it’s nothing to sneeze at.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 18, 2018

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Her SAD is weird. Even with how sunny CO is during winter it doesn’t really help. Sun lamps don’t help, vitamin D pills (prescription) don’t help, we really don’t know what it is.

If it doesn’t show traits of SAD is it necessarily that? Was it formally diagnosed?

The reason I harp on about it is, despite drifting into E/N territory, it’s fundamentally tied to your spending and earning capacities. Any improvement you get there benefits your financial health too.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That might not be a bad idea, thanks.

My company is having a monthly giveaway for the rest of the year as a celebration of a huge milestone. It’s a raffle where the prizes are an electric bicycle, a cruise, an eco-lodge stay, or a fishing boat. If I win I should get the boat, right?

Odds of me winning are probably about 2000:1, you get one entry each month for each year you have been at the company. Kind of a huge prize to be giving out, but it really is a tremendous milestone for the company.

My credit bump must be significant, I’m getting a lot more credit card offers in the mail. That still go into the trash.

Just sent a job opening to a former coworker. If he applies and gets hired (they’re having a hard time finding someone reliable and good with people) that’s $500 after 90 days and another $500 after 6 months. It’s not a ton, and it’s over 6 months, but it’s nothing to sneeze at.
Always go for the boat. Or bitcoins!

You(+wife) should be able to opt out of the bulk of the CC offers. I now only get CC transfers from banks I do business with - they won't let me opt out now that I am signed up... https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0148-prescreened-credit-and-insurance-offers

Nam Taf posted:

If it doesn’t show traits of SAD is it necessarily that? Was it formally diagnosed?

The reason I harp on about it is, despite drifting into E/N territory, it’s fundamentally tied to your spending and earning capacities. Any improvement you get there benefits your financial health too.
I feel like vitamin D can be blood tested... I know little about that, besides it's A Thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

She had a blood test and showed vitamin D deficiency. Prescription strength Vitamin D pills don’t help, though, and even though I take every opportunity possible to give her extra D supplements she’s still got really bad energy problems in the winter.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the joke any longer.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She had a blood test and showed vitamin D deficiency. Prescription strength Vitamin D pills don’t help, though, and even though I take every opportunity possible to give her extra D supplements she’s still got really bad energy problems in the winter.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the joke any longer.

I have to take magnesium if I take vitamin D because somehow they are linked together and used up in the same process and magnesium deficiency is really common. The kind they sell at most stores is a bad molecule that won't absorb super well, I take these: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Glycinate/dp/B000BD0RT0

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, that could actually be it. She takes magnesium, but it’s from Vitamin Shoppe.

I really hate how you’re rolling the dice on whether a supplement is even what it says it is unless you find a page that has done a chemical analysis that really the FDA should already be doing.

Do you use prescription vitamin D supplements or is there a supplement brand you use?

I was hoping that we could make a (relative) lot of money tomorrow with Order Up because 4/20 in a college town in CO, but it looks like it’s going to be pouring and barely above freezing, so that’s out.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 19, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh, that could actually be it. She takes magnesium, but it’s from Vitamin Shoppe.

I really hate how you’re rolling the dice on whether a supplement is even what it says it is unless you find a page that has done a chemical analysis that really the FDA should already be doing.

Do you use prescription vitamin D supplements or is there a supplement brand you use?

I got prescription vitamin D once and took a 50,000 pill twice and it caused ringing in my ears for 2 months, which is how I eventually learned that taking a lot of vitamin D can cause a magnesium deficiency. I think all D3 is basically the same so I just buy a normal one of those.

For vitamin D, D3 is the better compound and D2 was the worse one but I don't think many people bother with D2 anymore. Same thing, different chemical compound so your body uses it differently. For most other supplements (like magnesium) it's much less obvious what the supplement is and which one is the best one, usually the cheap crap they sell in stores is Magnesium Oxide which is the worst kind. I think generic magnesium citrate might be in some stores and is better than the oxide, I'm not sure how it compares to the other 10 kinds you can buy

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find a good analysis of a few brands.

I’m going to check out a 3 bed 2 bath this evening that would be s lot closer to work while also being cheap. If we got a roommate we would be paying $900-1,000 depending on utilities, and I would be paying way less in gas.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Me on the phone with the property management company: “I have a heeler mix and a cat.”

The property management agent: “oh, that’s fine.”

The application: “No pets may be over 40 pounds.”

:negative:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

How much does your dog weigh? Heelers are usually under 40lbs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

60 pounds. I thought they were generally around 50, but I guess you’re right. She’s a bloodhound heeler mix, I just say heeler mix because some people might get put off by the bloodhound part. I wish they would at least have mentioned the weight limit since I said mix.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
I mean, they're probably not going to weigh your dog, if that's the only thing stopping you I'd give it a go. As long as the dog isn't destructive or aggressive they probably don't care that much.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I may have told them because I’m stupid.

I’ve got another place that’s bigger for the same price that I’m going to look at on Sunday, but it’s not nearly as close. North Denver / Boulder / Longmont is obscene.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 20, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You should have one of your psychologist give you an Emotional Support Animal letter. I talked to my psychologist, she approved of it, and I wrote my own and she signed it during our next session. It saved me from any pet issues thereafter, and no pet rent/deposit/etc.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Looked at a place yesterday, it smelled and was really dingy. Oh well.

My wife made dal tonight and it was delicious. And cheap! We’ve got enough ingredients to probably make it another 8 times aside from needing more chicken broth, and it all came out to $24 including the stuff we didn’t have like ghee, tamarind, and turmeric. Might do vegetable broth just to see how it would taste vegetarian.

Lentils also seem to be extremely good for you, which is awesome. They also don’t need to soak for hours like beans, which makes them more spontaneous.

I’m liking the idea of cooking more vegetarian stuff because a lot of the time we procrastinate on cooking and the meat ends up going bad. The lentils aren’t going bad anytime soon. I’ve always said that the only way I could be vegetarian would be to eat a bunch of Indian food. And, we’ll, :yum:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Buy whole chickens and use the back and innards to make broth and freeze it and you've solved spending money by cheap chicken, cheaper stock, keeping food longer, and solved not having to go vegetarian

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Try a red lentil carrot soup if you're a fan of daal, lots of different recipes online but just make sure one of the ingredients is coconut milk and you can't go wrong.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm gonna plug Budget Bytes for more cheap meal ideas, with a couple caveats:

-Some of stuff can be really starch heavy, because it's a site about cheap recipes and starches are cheap. :v: You can cut back on the rice/pasta/etc relative to the rest of the dish if you care.
-It assumes you'll eat your leftovers. IIRC you've been doing that, but I know that's a stumbling block for some people.
-Don't fear the vegetarian section, especially if you're looking for side dishes.
-I know we're heading out of soup season, but strongly consider the soup section anyway. Every soup recipe of hers I've tried is good as hell.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Still here, still keeping track of expenses, still trying to move. I paid an extra $60 to the hospital loan, hoping to knock it out this month with side work. It’s at $280 now.

My wife is getting into a vocational rehab program aimed at WFH type stuff. Hopefully that pans out.

I’m seeing a new therapist, have been for a bit more than a month now. She’s fantastic and takes insurance, so it’s $20 per hour long session. She works Saturday mornings, which means I don’t have to mess with my work schedule.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I... I think we might have found a place? And it’s 15-20 minutes to work. Am I in a coma? Give me a sign.

Downside I probably won’t pay off that loan, every spare bit of money is going towards the moving fund. We should have enough already, but I’m not a fan of “should.”

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 14, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Welp. :smithicide:

Not actually suicidal, just want to leave work early, go home, and sleep the next few days.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 16, 2018

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Hey, it's okay to feel bad sometimes. Don't be too hard on yourself, do whatever you need to do. Just make sure you're eating, sleeping, and drinking water, and try to get even a little bit of exercise, like walking around the block, if you can. You'll get through it.

E: and we're all rooting for you!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I’ve been going for more walks at work now that the weather has been nice.

I just really wanted that townhome, and now I get to tell my wife we didn’t get it. We’re back at square one for the 12th time, and after getting closer than ever.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 16, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's happened?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought that we hadn't gotten the townhome. Now maybe we are still getting it? It's up in the air at this point.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
These kinda things can be incredibly nebulous and frustrating. Waiting to hear back from someone sucks a lot. I'm rooting for you, no matter what happens.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I'm rooting for you and I hope you get it!!! But if you don't, there will be more apartments and everything will be fine. You're doing an awesome job!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks. I really hope this one works out, we’ve been looking since January 2017 and it’s getting really tiring striking out time after time. I know there will be more, I just want to be done.

I’m going to follow up today. Let’s see how it goes. Once we know I will know whether I want to save up for moving contingencies or pay off this debt.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
How did it go? What's your next steps?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The renovation estimates are higher than he expected, he’s not sure what he’s going to do.

At this point I don’t either.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Who is he? The current house owner? Are you looking to make some kinda deal still or would you have to foot some of the costs?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The guy who owns the house. We’d be renting. The average home price in that county is over $500k, even including condos. I doubt we would ever be able to buy there.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I feel like I missed something. Is this the townhouse?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, sorry, townhouse.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Our current landlord came by today to change the air filter and do a walkthrough of the apartment. Apparently storing stuff in the storage / furnace room is unacceptable. She threw everything we had in there out and yelled at my wife over it.

We need to get the hell out of this apartment and out from under that racist’s thumb. She’s always been condescending towards my wife except for the one time she was cooking when they came by, and when our black neighbor was touring the house she repeatedly said that marijuana wasn’t allowed, despite not mentioning that to me when I toured the apartment. She’s barely civil with me, but still at least civil.

I contacted a few more places, I’ve heard back from one. Hopefully we can get the hell out this month.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Our current landlord came by today to change the air filter and do a walkthrough of the apartment. Apparently storing stuff in the storage / furnace room is unacceptable. She threw everything we had in there out and yelled at my wife over it.

We need to get the hell out of this apartment and out from under that racist’s thumb. She’s always been condescending towards my wife except for the one time she was cooking when they came by, and when our black neighbor was touring the house she repeatedly said that marijuana wasn’t allowed, despite not mentioning that to me when I toured the apartment. She’s barely civil with me, but still at least civil.

I contacted a few more places, I’ve heard back from one. Hopefully we can get the hell out this month.

Your landlord threw your stuff out?!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not out as in the trash, but all over the room outside of the closet.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Jesus Christ that sounds insufferable. Hopefully you'll get some good housing news soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That situation sucks and I'm sorry you're having to deal with it. :(

In an attempt to try and offer some help other than commiseration, what is the relocation going to do to your finances and how much of it have you planned for?

I don't believe you've posted what your overall situation looks like so it's hard to give specific advice. If you don't feel comfortable posting numbers, what about percentages?

• Locked thread