Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I really like BudgetBytes for cheap / easy recipes. You can sort by protein etc. depending on what's on sale. She also has some great meal prep posts that might be helpful for your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

You mentioned a couples therapist - are the two of you already in therapy? If you already have a person that you know / trust / like you likely don't need a separate person for just financial stuff.

Many financial advisors are also pretty good at dealing with the emotional side of money (and people generally listen better to 'experts' vs. their partners anyway, as frustrating as that can be). If the person is a reasonable fee-only advisor, might be worth going and seeing if she's more amenable to talking to someone who isn't her husband.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I really liked I Will Teach You To Be Rich.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

While I agree with everyone else that you're undoubtedly better off throwing more money at debt after building up a smaller emergency fund, I do think that if having the $10k gets your wife on board with paying down the rest of your debt instead of letting it roll, that's a solid step in the right direction. I'm not sure the alternative is "$6k emergency fund and pay down high-interest debt", it could be "$6k emergency fund and wife gets mad and racks up more debt because she doesn't feel like you value her opinion".

Hopefully doing some reading together will get her more on board with the numbers instead of the emotions and she'll come around.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Did you communicate to her that this is really important to you? Your commute right now sounds hellish.

Could you potentially negotiate moving with less in savings if you do XYZ / promise to save $Q a month towards the emergency fund goal?

This also sounds like a great topic to discuss with your counselor.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Mindfulness is great, The Feeling Good Handbook is a thing that my therapist gave me exercises out of and it's also pretty commonly recommended.

I'm glad that your wife is open to moving. I know it can be really challenging to deal with someone when you're burned out on handling their emotions. It sounds like you both might be at that place. I hope that between her therapy and your mindfulness you can both start to renew your emotional reserves so you can be kinder and gentler to each other.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Getting out can also help a lot with SAD because you'll have something to look forward to. Skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, winter hiking, etc. etc. are all great winter activities that can help you shift from "gently caress it's cold" to "gently caress yeah now I get to $X!"

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I'm rooting for you and I hope you get it!!! But if you don't, there will be more apartments and everything will be fine. You're doing an awesome job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I'm so sorry, friend. I hope that your FMLA is approved and you're able to take care of yourself.

• Locked thread