Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It really sucks that in the US, you need to have been working consistently over the past 10 years to qualify for disability. Because if you've been disabled for a while, too bad, you don't qualify. We're hoping that if she can't work in the spring, we can get the exemption of her having had her disability (depression) since before she was expected to work. She's been dealing with it since junior high school, and her doctor should still have records of that.

If you are in your thirties, you basically have to have had a part time job for 5 of the last 10 years in order to qualify for social security disability. You do not need to have the full 10 years (40 credits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know what my post-tax take home is going to be, is there any calculator updated for 2017 based on the exemptions rather than the specific tax burden?

If you are just trying to figure out how big your paycheck is going to be you can use the ADP calculator https://www.adp.com/tools-and-resources/calculators-and-tools/payroll-calculators/hourly-paycheck-calculator.aspx.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks. Looks like I should be a couple hundred up per month after tax. Depending on the health insurance they offer I might be able to cover that with that since it's pre-tax.

Individual health insurance is post-tax, right?

E: actually, factoring in everything else, that's going to end up with us behind where we are, but it would be even worse next year where I currently am. :(

I really hope she can work this spring.

Yes, if your employer deducts health insurance directly from your paycheck it is currently exempt from all tax (including FICA). It is hard to imagine a scenario where you would be well served by turning down employer insurance to purchase your own.

It looks like you are going from a job that paid $22 per hour to $27 per hour? It is hard to believe that you could possibly be worse off than before, even if you have to pay your full insurance cost for a couple. That would be more than a $10,000/year premium for a couple which is high for two young people (unless you both smoke I guess).

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I don't think college students are exempt from income tax. As far as health insurance... are you still on your parents insurance because you are 25? Or do you just think you can go without it?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

She wants to just spend all the money on clothes and purses or something, instead of paying off credit card debt? What does she say when you point out that you are wasting $200 per month or whatever on pointless interest?

Also yes, your totaled car thing was one of the dumber ideas I've ever seen in BFC and I still can't believe you did that.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I think it's reasonable for your wife to want a cash emergency fund of some amount, whether it's $1000 or $3000 or maybe even $5000. Explaining paying off the credit card debt like a savings account that generates 30% interest might work - in reality, if your credit card interest is 30% it's equivalent to like a 40% savings account since you would have to pay income tax on bank interest but you don't get to deduct credit card interest.

I would try to come up with a plan with my wife ... figure out why she wants savings, what she's worried about, and how much she's comfortable with. Try to explain credit card debt and how much it costs in completely wasted money. Try to come up with a plan around both points of view... for example, for right now we'll keep $3000 in the bank and throw everything else at the credit cards, and then we'll get the emergency fund up to $10,000 and then go from there with a mix of increased budget / increased retirement saving.

Edit: what are your total outstanding debts and bank balances as of today?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Currently:

$14,310 in the bank. That was a surprise, my bonus came in after my normal paycheck so I didn’t see it until now. Rent hasn’t been taken out yet, so more like $13,290.

$5,500 on my credit card (balance hasn’t updated from today’s payment, maybe 5496? Splitting hairs).

$22,579 in Stanford loans, some subsidized some unsubsidized.

$3,402 on the new car.

$4-500 on my hospital loan (had trouble getting it into Mint)

$680 to my mother, who has been very patient and I feel guilty for not paying her back sooner. So that probably comes after the 19.99% card.

So put $3-5,000 in an online savings account at 1.5% to make the wife happy, pay off the credit card, your mom and the hospital loan and maybe throw the extra ~$2k at your 7.x% student loan and use $150 to have a nice night out on Valentine's day.

Edit:

quote:

We have multiple savings accounts (I thin an excessive amount, but it doesn’t really matter). One has one month’s rent, one has $2,000 also for emergency find purposes. That one gets the best interest exactly at $2,000, which is why it’s its own thing. There’s some savings for our family reunion in the summer, and some in one last account that’s going to be used for moving and the credit card.

This money is all additional to the $13000 extra you already described?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, sorry. That’s how the $13,000 is split up. We do need to save some of it for moving and we have half a month to get through on the paycheck that just came in, so we don’t have nearly as much as it sounds like to spare, but I can at least pay off the credit card, which saves $150 per month.

Effectively we have $3,020 as an emergency fund right now. $2,000 is at either 3.25% or 3.5%, I would have to look to remember for sure. Then we have money for the trip, a few thousand for moving, and the rest of savings will go to pay off the CC. Which is then being frozen in a block of ice and shoved in the back of the freezer. And I’m deleting it from my paypal and Amazon accounts.

If your wife is happy with the $3000 + earmarked money that seems pretty reasonable and I wouldn't fight with her over it. If she is pushing for even more money in the emergency fund then that seems a bit ... overly cautious considering you have high interest debt to pay off.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

$10k is fine to have as an emergency fund if that's what she's comfortable with. And considering you wasted $3k on a totaled car that you are going to try and fix yourself despite not having the skills, I don't think you are really in a position to be condescending to her just because she want a bigger e-fund than you do.

How much money are you wasting by having a broken PoS car sitting around instead of paying off $3000 more of debt?

If I were you I would do a monthly report that included total debt / total interest paid / total principal paid / savings interest earned / etc. Maybe seeing that for a few months would make her start to want to be debt free too.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, is that what everyone thinks? The car was $260, $3k is what I kept. Actually $3200, my neighbor is letting me fix his computer in trade for the tow. That's most of what I used to pay off the CC. I mean, I'll admit it wasn't the optimal use of my money, but I wouldn't have bought it back if it was even 1k, let alone 3.

Yes sorry, that is what I thought but now I see what you mean. I originally read it as you paid $3035 to have it towed to your house and keep it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Best case, I’m not sure how to calculate that between compounding interest and minimum payments.

Once your credit card is paid off all your debt is between like 4% and 7% - so you are paying $400 to $700 per year to have the E-Fund, but presumably it's in a 1.5% savings account so you are really only paying 2.5-5.5% per year, or $250 to $550 per year or $20 to $45 per month.

Before anyone whines about me forgetting taxes, their tax rate is low and most of the debt is student loans which are above the line adjustments so it nets out anyway.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I wouldn't bother trying to stack gimmick 3% accounts, that sounds like an annoying hassle.

GS Bank (which is now called Marco or something stupid), Barclay's US, and Ally all seem about the same for online savings accounts. I personally use Barclay's and they are fine, https://www.banking.barclaysus.com/index.html.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Can you and your wife split the therapy sessions she is paying for now? I'm guessing she's doing a weekly session based on the price, so you could each do one every other week.

I also wouldn't normally get into this, but the way you talk about your wife makes her sound like a stubborn pain in the rear end who is making you miserable. Are you like... sure you want to stay with her? I also wonder if her weird obsession with having $10,000 in a savings account (despite credit card interest) is part of some plan to take whatever money she can and leave.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

She had a blood test and showed vitamin D deficiency. Prescription strength Vitamin D pills don’t help, though, and even though I take every opportunity possible to give her extra D supplements she’s still got really bad energy problems in the winter.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist the joke any longer.

I have to take magnesium if I take vitamin D because somehow they are linked together and used up in the same process and magnesium deficiency is really common. The kind they sell at most stores is a bad molecule that won't absorb super well, I take these: https://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-Absorption-Magnesium-Glycinate/dp/B000BD0RT0

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh, that could actually be it. She takes magnesium, but it’s from Vitamin Shoppe.

I really hate how you’re rolling the dice on whether a supplement is even what it says it is unless you find a page that has done a chemical analysis that really the FDA should already be doing.

Do you use prescription vitamin D supplements or is there a supplement brand you use?

I got prescription vitamin D once and took a 50,000 pill twice and it caused ringing in my ears for 2 months, which is how I eventually learned that taking a lot of vitamin D can cause a magnesium deficiency. I think all D3 is basically the same so I just buy a normal one of those.

For vitamin D, D3 is the better compound and D2 was the worse one but I don't think many people bother with D2 anymore. Same thing, different chemical compound so your body uses it differently. For most other supplements (like magnesium) it's much less obvious what the supplement is and which one is the best one, usually the cheap crap they sell in stores is Magnesium Oxide which is the worst kind. I think generic magnesium citrate might be in some stores and is better than the oxide, I'm not sure how it compares to the other 10 kinds you can buy

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The landlord sent my wife a nastygram about the state of the property. I left her a voicemail telling her that half of it was because of cheapass shoddy repairs that broke within six months of us moving in that I will probably do better myself before move-out, and that the other thing (the lawn) is in better shape than when we moved in. I also told her never to speak to my wife like she did on Monday again. That felt good.

It’s like short-timers except for housing instead of work. Next weekend we’ll be able to move, so I don’t have to give a poo poo.

Your landlord is going to definitely keep your entire security deposit, I wouldn't bother fixing anything unless you feel like suing her to get it back. I would take about 200 photos of the place before I left in case she tried to sue me for me, too. Hopefully you did the same thing before you moved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Only three weeks left on planned FMLA, little to no improvement. Might just have to max out FMLA and then possibly get laid off. At least disability continuing past FMLA limits wouldn’t be an at-fault situation.

At this point my wife is my biggest problem. She gets on my case about not getting poo poo done, which means that after I deal with her mood swinging and anger for an hour or two I have no energy to do anything. Then the cycle continues and she doesn’t get how she is contributing to it. And I still have to help with her mood issues, which takes up a ton of time. I know that sounds resentful, it’s not. I accepted helping her with her issues when I proposed. But she just doesn’t get how it all goes together, and when I bring it up she says that I’m just trying to blame her for everything.

gently caress my life.

I tried not to be this blunt in the past, but your wife sounds absolutely awful and you should divorce her and work on yourself.

Edit: failing that, make an effortpost in reddit/relationships, you will get good advice there.

• Locked thread