Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Get your wife working, that will be the biggest help to your finances - and her mental well being. Not working is bad news for most people. *Most* people with mental illness can work when they are getting the right treatment. A major goal should be to get her to that point.

Suggesting cross country skiing or hockey as a cheap sport is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Except most people prefer to ski on groomed trails which adds either daily or annual pass prices. In addition, if you have never done aerobic activity outside, you'll probably need to buy some new clothing. You could easily spend $500-$1000 as a couple to get totally outfitted, and that is with buying lots of used gear.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got a settlement offer on my 19 year old, 207500 mile Subaru. After deductible, $3498. If I bought it back, towed it home, and parted it out, $3035 before anything I would get for parting it out. Trying to decide, asked for advice in the Subaru thread on what’s even worth anything on a car that old. I’m guessing probably body panels.

E: actually, after looking at other part-outs, probably not worth it.

Did you search for comparable cars for sale? $3500 sounds pretty good for a car of that age and mileage. I’d take the check and buy a Toyota Corolla or something similar. Parting out will be a massive pain in the rear end. I can only imagine how flakey the people wanting to buy Subaru parts off Craigslist would be.

Do you have some sort of accident forgiveness with your policy? If you switch insurance and have to disclose the accident you might see higher rates. If you can negotiate a larger payout by finding more expensive comparables go for it. Otherwise take the money and move on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You will be in a better place financially if you took all that time you’d waste getting a second job delivering pizza. You’ll be in a better place personally if you take all that time and spend it doing something you enjoy.

What you are describing is a pretty BWM move.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I just went back through the thread - drat you've been trying to move for ages.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I did. She just said that it was me trying to do what I wanted to do without caring about what she wanted, just like with the credit card.

This is some borderline personality manipulative bullshit if I've ever seen it. I haven't really followed your posts closely enough, but it seems like you're the major breadwinner. Spending 2.5hr a day in soul crushing commute isn't worth it if you have any choice. It seems that you do have quite a lot of choice. You might need to move into a smaller place, but it sounds like it's totally possible. Is your wife on disability? Is she in the process of getting on disability? It sounds like you're just enabling her to not work.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Stand up for you own happiness and move.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Couldn't your wife get a job doing something easy like retail / food service wherever you move to that would help cover the rent? You've listed off a bunch of crap that you could definitely get rid of if you moved to a smaller place - hell sell it to fund a deposit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that a non-gig, schedule based job would probably be good for your wife. Getting forced to get outta bed to go to your job even when you feel terrible is a good thing for most/all people. Regular work can force people into a regular routine which I think most people benefit from. It really seems like some of the choices you're making may be enabling your wife's preferences to just stay in bed when she feels bad.

Are there chances that you can get a job closer to home? Are you doing much in the way of job searching - jumping to a new job is the best way to increase your salary.

• Locked thread