Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.
Not to turn this into kitchen chat, but a wok really is a bad purchase. It is a bad shape for everything except cooking over VERY high heat on open flame. On a flat cooktop a large frying pan is categorically better. Consider that the wok has less cooking surface than your current pan, as the bottom part of the pan is what's in contact with the heating element. I wish I'd known that before buying my wok.

It sounds like your problem is with the size of the pan, and not the shape. The way I see it, you have two good ways to solve that: buy a bigger pan or learn to cook in batches. A big frying pan is loads more versitile than a wok and probably costs about the same. I have one I love and use it all the time. The other option is to learn to cook in batches; I'd recommend doing this first, because it's a good skill to have no matter what pan you're using, and you can always buy a bigger pan later. It can seem like more work, but remember that with less food in the pan, the temperature doesn't drop as much when you add food so it cooks both better and faster. Once you get a feel for not overcrowding the pan you'll make great food in less time.

This is all fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things, I just really hate my wok. Don't be like me, man, get out while you still can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread