Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
It's really hard to fix finances before you fix the mental disorder side of things. Fix or manage anyway. What are all of the treatments both you and your wife are doing? Therapy, pills, exercises, meditation, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What treatments are you using besides medication and psychiatry visits for the both of you to manage your mental disorders?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I won't talk about budgeting for a little bit because others are more equipped to explain the how to and everything, but you both should really consider doing 30 minutes to an hour worth of physical activity a day on top of daily meditation practices to help with your mental disorders. These two things will do wonders for your girlfriends moods, and should help you out with depression.

You could easily knock out both if you committed to daily mindfulness Yoga, or is there a couples sport you could get into? Running and biking aside, tennis, racquetball basketball all depending on what part of the country you're in you could do a lot of different things with low overhead costs.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mindfulness meditation isn't for quieting things down, but rather for paying attention to everything that's going on. Quieting your mind is a near impossible task for someone with bipolar so it'd be a really bad idea to teach someone that style.

There are a ton of indoor sports, what would be wrong with getting gym memberships that have rock climbing or racquetball courts? That would be easy to find in denver. If you wanted to do some hunting you could both easily get into hockey also which is great all year round given where you live.

Finding something you want to do is the easy part, getting you convinced to do it is well... The other side.

Lastly this is something your therapist will recommend more than likely anyway. At least the exercise part and definintely breathing exercises

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are free.

edit: suggesting hockey is stupid, ice time fees are insane.

Rec league here is 10 dollars a game and even cheaper if you John for the season, just threw it out there because it sometimes can actually be affordable

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You really have to be outrageous and specific if you want to joke around like saying you're putting a down payment on a condo with a tiger painted on the wall

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Nah, my wife is the artist, so she's going to do the wolf shirt themed art herself.

Then you should have used the money to start a wolf shirt printing co, but the catch being none of the shirts will be ironic.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If you have problems with spill over then a wok won't resolve anything because you shouldn't put that much in a wok anyway. It's really suited well for deep frying and small batches so it can get up to temperature properly. Don't bother with a wok unless you really plan to do individual sized portions each time you use it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm getting really confused. My mother always made enough fried rice and Chicken Adobo for four in a wok without doing a bunch of batches.

I'll try the pasta/soup pot idea Saturday, because gently caress cooking real meals on a weeknight. That definitely wouldn't have spilling.

E: I can't find one that looks like hers. I'm wondering if it's maybe a regional style. That might make a difference.

Look dude you can make Adobo for 4 in a wok that doesn't mean you should do it in a wok. What everyone else is saying is that you can use a regular pan for it just fine and get more versatility. Unless you need a deep fryer or you want to get the proper use of a wok don't stress it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/real-deal-kung-pao-chicken-recipe.html

Kenji Lopez, probably best home cook teacher posted:

At a restaurant, a wok chef has two valves controlled by his knees. One controls gas flow, while the other controls oxygen. Together, they allow him to control the heat under the wok from a lighter-sized flame to an all-out, jet-engine-sized ring of fire. Most cooking gets done under this extreme heat, which allows him to successively add ingredients to the wok without risking rapid temperature drop. Try the same thing at home, and you'll find yourself standing over a woeful wok-ful of pale, flaccid, steaming meat and vegetables.

To compensate for this, the key is to heat your wok until it is literally smoking hot, cook in batches, and allow your wok to reheat fully between each batch.

The BFC point of it all is that you really need to stop and actually research your purchases before spouting off you *need this* or need that so you can make informed decisions that will increase the quality of life for yourself for the price.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You'd cut 100-300 off rent, but it'd cost 200 more to move? You lost me. Can you write out distance from work vs cost of rent for each of your prospective places?

Throw in square footage and amount of bathrooms to make it simple.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 26, 2017

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That one's a mix of BFC and E/N, explaining it would tip farther into the E/N than I'm willing to go. When you've got a couple with severe sadbrains the two overlap a lot. I know it sounds like a copout. The most I'll say is I'm not exaggerating when I say being able to get some space is a need. If it was a one bedroom that somehow made the living room separated from the bedroom that would be a different story, but I can't even imagine how that would be laid out unless the bedroom was off of the walled-off kitchen. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that even growing up in a neighborhood of weird early 20th century houses.

That's literally what a 1 bedroom is. I think you're confusing a studio with a 1 bedroom?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, the problem is that we basically have two rooms. One bedroom, then one terribly shaped living room / kitchen that the bathroom comes off of. If the living room allowed privacy it would be a different story.

So like you forced yourself into a situation to spend more money by instead of saying "a 1 bedroom with a good layout" you said, "I need a 2 bedroom".

Do you see this problem?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love the ability to see a horrible idea happening and say gently caress it I'm doing it anyway.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

What do you have to gain from being right on this one? Now you can just spend slowly and pay back your debts slowly and just leave a balance of 500 bucks in there as a wife tax. It's worth the 50-70 bucks a year.

I mean hell you just admitted you can't gain anything by having her dad as a mediator so just drop it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’ll try to get us reading / working on that then. I just need to find a way to do that without seeming to her like I’m shoving something in her face saying “SEE? SEE HOW THIS SAYS WE SHOULD GET RID OF OUR DEBT TOO?”

We’ve agreed that we’ll build our savings back up to $10,000 once the card is completely finished off, and then after that we can focus entirely on debt and investments. We’ve been arguing about what we did or didn’t say or understand or whatever when we discussed plans in the past, so we’ve got this one in clearly in writing. I don’t like it, I would rather be at 5-6k at max, but if I can have the whole credit card now, everything to debt and investment once we hit 10k, and a happy wife, I’ll take it.

Remind me what is your total debt and at what rates?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

$260 AmEx 19.25%
$516.17 personal loan ~$45 per month until 1/19 (can’t find APR)
$680 to mother
~$5400 student debt collections
$50 unknown debt in collections on report
$500 unknown debt in collections on report.
$3402 car loan 5.45%

Student Loans:
$5263 3.4%
$5188 4.29%
$4375 4.66%
$7753 6.8%

Let me know if that’s hard to read, trying to do this quick on a phone.

Looks like all in that’s $34,387?

How much is it going to cost you to save 10,000 dollars?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Can you give an estimate range to how much it will cost to save to 10k? Assuming everything goes right and assuming everything goes wrong

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Right.

How much does it cost to save 10k?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I'm a dumbass my apologiesesssss I missed Droo's item.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You're in finical hardships and the only reason your wife wanted a new place was to give her friend a place to live?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Your partner as in the person you're dating not the person you're married to pretty sure. Bobby wickman over in en would know a lot more.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

VoIP your therapy dog

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Doing a boring thing for a long time is tiring but I doubt with Better car you'd feel better

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Do you do mindfulness meditation at all

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

If you're having troubles understanding your feelings to that degree why don't you practice mindfulness. Therapist is going to recommend it anyway

Veskit fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

You should talk to them anyway. A local therapist you can talk to on the phone is much better than nothing. If they aren't giving you what you want then you can ask them to refer you to what you're asking for.

A therapist prrrrrrrooooooobabbbbblyyyy has better connections to this than you do, or me really i don't know poo poo about specialized therapist for autists though I'm sure one of those therapists do...

Veskit fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 27, 2018

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How did your appointment go

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That therapist sounds perfect for what you're trying to do!

What's your weight lifting plan? I gotta say I saw zero difference between coming up with a plan for strength training and budgeting so it'll be working a lot of balance. Also if your gym does yoga you should throw in one of those classes a week.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Just account for all of the money regardless of the location and the headache will go away

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

When you're doing your budget a month ahead you're planning out your money. It's different than when you first start because when you first start you're tracking where the money was spent because you didn't have enough to plan for it. IE, there's 100 dollars in the account, I have a gas bill of 50 dollars so i'll spend 50 of the 100.

Now all you have to do is say i have 10k in the account, i guess next month 80 dollars of it is going toward gas, so i shouldn't spend that 80. you're not physically taking the money out of one account, you're just writing down what you think everything will cost next month. Then you can get around whatever shinanigans your wife does by saying that you're planning what you would do with the money in case of the emergency she talks about.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There really isn’t any public transportation in our current town, and if she’s driving Order Up she obviously needs a car. When we move, we’ll have better public transportation, but she’ll need to be able to drive back home.

I'm not going to bash the idea, I'm just going to ask for a business case. What will it take to make a profit?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Whos idea was this?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I don't think it's financially the best move but if it gets her or of the house and making money I'm going to have a hard time arguing the benefits to get mental health and yours too

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lol at asking someone in there spectrum to lie

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

From personal experience budgeting helps a lot with bipolar spending

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hey have you talked over with the wife how to keep each other accountable without causing a big rear end fight? A template of sorts you can both follow that says no judgement but you messed up the budget

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I thought this was a side gig for your wife?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, but I want to do it myself too.

She has barely been doing it. :smith: At least she has been selling a lot of art? $150 this month so far, or maybe $180 now? Not sure. She also applied for a normal job a few weeks ago but didn’t get it.

Aren't you busy with also repairing a different car? I understood what was going on when your wife wanted something to do on the side to keep her fulfilled and busy, but holy hell you're driving 3 hours a day, working i'm assuming at least 8, fixing a car and now considering spending time driving food?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Just pay the 10 dollars it takes get your rear end outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Her SAD is weird. Even with how sunny CO is during winter it doesn’t really help. Sun lamps don’t help, vitamin D pills (prescription) don’t help, we really don’t know what it is.

I had an epiphany yesterday when I realized that despite thrift stores never having anything that fits, eBay has a ton of stuff from brands I know fit. I got two J Crew shirts for $24 listed as excellent condition (coming out of my allowance). That is going to help me rebuild my work wardrobe a lot more quickly to replace all of the clothes that have fallen apart.

If you wait a couple months I'll get you a banana republic friends and family coupon where you get 40% off your total purchase from outlet stores. You can fill up shirts np.

• Locked thread