Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Consider redirecting some of that weekend time (at minimum) to some physical exercise. Physical health benefits aside, I think the activity will help you both mentally and it’s another activity through which to bond with each other.

You’re in Colorado. I’m not from the US but I understood it to have a legendary outdoors culture with some fantastic national parks, etc. to explore. I think you should definitely exploit that, especially coming into summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

The thing is that even getting out for park walks will help you immensely on a number of fronts.

1) exercise will help both of you physically and mentally.
2) making time for it is a good lesson in both discipline and routine. This directly translates to providing those virtues for other areas (budget, getting to work, etc.)
3) it’s quality time together that is different to normal. It’ll help diversify how you two spend time together and that’s good.
4) it’s a good way to see progress and improvement and set goals. This ties back to point 1.
5) burning energy will help you sleep better, with benefits for both energy the next day and routine.

You can work your way up to needing hiking in the paid areas, don’t feel you need to get there just yet. All of this is possible from even walking around the block, but I’d expect that some nice parklands and nature reserves should be more motivating and enjoyable, hence the suggestion.

Note that with the SAD thing, it’s substantially warmer in the sun even on a cold day. 60 F is plenty warm for that if you wear even a thin jumper. As long as you’re sheltered from wind chill, you’ll be substantially warmer up and moving around outside than you would be sitting inside. Try to overcome that initial hump of lack of energy/laziness because once you begin it’ll be far easier to maintain that energy.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

turing_test posted:

Getting out can also help a lot with SAD because you'll have something to look forward to.

Not just that, but being exposed to actual sunlight (even in winter) is going to help a tonne compared to sitting indoors in artificial light. A large part of SAD often comes about from the spectra of light and standard indoor lights simply don’t produce them. That’s essentially what bright light therapy tries to achieve.

The exercise itself will help, but besides that simply being outside and being exposed to actual sunlight will help on multiple fronts. You’ll sleep better, have more energy more consistently during the day, and the light exposure alone may well help directly with the SAD.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Her SAD is weird. Even with how sunny CO is during winter it doesn’t really help. Sun lamps don’t help, vitamin D pills (prescription) don’t help, we really don’t know what it is.

If it doesn’t show traits of SAD is it necessarily that? Was it formally diagnosed?

The reason I harp on about it is, despite drifting into E/N territory, it’s fundamentally tied to your spending and earning capacities. Any improvement you get there benefits your financial health too.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Swim in a public pool then. Stop finding excuses, start finding solutions.

edit: It's 90F, which is 32C in normal people temperatures, and you have gently caress all humidity. Just drink some water as you sweat it out, wear a broad-brimmed hat and maybe put some sunscreen on. You'll be fine.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 11, 2018

• Locked thread