Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Doubleposting because it's my thread and I can do what I want with it.

I finally got my taxes done, and I'm getting a $2300 tax return thanks to the American Opportunity Credit and some withholding from before I realized I wouldn't have any tax burden what with being unemployed for half the year.

Now I just have to not loving waste it like I did with the windfall. Looking for apartments now. That should be enough to pay the deposit, moving expenses, and lease breaking fee, at least. I'm really not looking forward to moving our heavy-rear end bulky-rear end desks and dressers. But I am looking forward to not putting 120 miles a day on my car, and having at least another 45 minutes with my wife every evening.

For the C portion of BFC, I'm going to reach out to a college friend working as a software engineer. He lives down in the Denver area, so I'm going to ask if he knows any meetup groups or something similar. Getting to know some people in the area is probably a good idea both for being social and networking.

Moving - breaking a lease sucks. Be prepared for more costs than you'll expect. Get the bill before you leave (trust me).

Career - there are some recruiters here in my city at these meetups (according to my boss, I've never went), so yeah not a bad idea especially when Denver is a way better city for dev jobs.

What do you do now? You mentioned IT in the OP but I'm not sure what your current job is. I'm assuming you're going to college to become a dev based on your post. If you're interested keep an eye on these guys - http://www.enavate.com/dynamics-ax-jobs--careers/current-listings whose HQ is right near Denver. x++ pays well that has waaay too few devs, so you can constantly job hop if you want to. Enavate would be a really good company to start with. http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Skill=Microsoft_Dynamics_AX/Salary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread