Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/793127510758293504

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
This is piss but we're winning the super bowl anyway hth

Paging mcmagic to whine for ten pages about how this bad trade is cheating

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Why would you try and gently caress up 0-16 like that.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

So which one of you guys did this?

incompetent fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2016

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Now pay Hightower please.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The only "upside" I can see to this deal is the Patriots get a 3rd round comp pick for Hightower in 2017 via trade, instead of probably getting the same pick in 2018 after leaving and signing a big deal elsewhere.

Uh... :effort:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Can't wait for everyone to spin this into a secretly brilliant move by Belichick, because its impossible for good teams to do bad things and for bad teams to do good things.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I don't understand this move at all, and I'm sad because I enjoyed watching Collins play in the defense. I have to wonder what's going through Belichick's mind.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Browns GM: Everyone is on the trading block, we are 0-8 and are going to get rid of everyone, accumulate draft picks, and start over.
Bill Belichick (on phone): Hey what do you think about sending us a draft pick for our linebacker who's going to be a free agent after this season.
Browns GM: HELL YEAH WE'RE ONLY AN OLB AWAY FROM THE PLAYOFFS TOOT TOOT ALL ABOARD THE PLAYOFF TRAIN

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Note:

I am a Patriots fan. I don't like this move. We would've gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him anyway when he left at the end of this year and even if the coaching staff thinks he's not great, he's clearly a better backup than Shea McClellan.

But seriously this is the worst possible move for the Browns. What in the world are they thinking? An 8 game rental of an OLB to get worse draft position...and then lose him in free agency or HUGELY overpay him via the franchise tag so that...next year they can lose him?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

One would presume the Browns had worked on a contract extension with him before trading for him.

Also, if they let him walk, they also get a 3rd/4th round comp pick, so....

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's free for the browns to negotiate with him and if they sign him to a deal they like then it's their fourth, and like everybody already said, way more often than not you don't find that talent in the 4th round, even if the browns are going to pay fair value instead of rookie value.

the pats get their compensatory pick in the end and if he wasn't worth that then they get a better pick (regular 4th vs compensatory 4th) which i guess makes sense if they don't think they need him now and didn't expect to re-sign him in the offseason

it's a little weird because the browns are buying for the future and nobody else wanted to swoop in as a buyer for this season.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

Kalli posted:

One would presume the Browns had worked on a contract extension with him before trading for him.

Also, if they let him walk, they also get a 3rd/4th round comp pick, so....

Oh seriously? I didn't realize you get comp picks for a player with less than a full year on your team.

Makes more sense then.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sc4rs posted:

Oh seriously? I didn't realize you get comp picks for a player with less than a full year on your team.

Makes more sense then.

Yeah, the comp pick system is dumb and I've grown to dislike it even if the Patriots use it really well.

It's like the kickoff rule this year, it's supposed to do one thing but instead lets smarter teams eek out an extra advantage over worse teams.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
In this case it's Belichick basically getting the comp pick a year early, just at the expense of one of his best defenders. Which, given a potential matchup against MIN/SEA's offenses or DAL/ATL's defenses, it's a terrible sacrifice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

In this case it's Belichick basically getting the comp pick a year early, just at the expense of one of his best defenders. Which, given a potential matchup against MIN/SEA's offenses or DAL/ATL's defenses, it's a terrible sacrifice.

Yeah, on paper you can say it "gains value" because a draft pick this year is valued more than an identical draft pick next year. But I don't get how that tiny difference is worth not having a good linebacker on your team for a season for dirt cheap.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Jamie Collins saw something he wasn't supposed to.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Who's that sucking air out of the balls

*gets shipped to Cleveland*

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, on paper you can say it "gains value" because a draft pick this year is valued more than an identical draft pick next year. But I don't get how that tiny difference is worth not having a good linebacker on your team for a season for dirt cheap.

Seems likely that the Browns' 2017 third rounder is going to be 20-30 spots higher than the Pats' 2018 third rounder for whatever that's worth.

edit: oh it's a Browns compensatory pick, never mind

General Dog fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 1, 2016

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's worth a gentle chuckle from me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Complete Trash Bhoner butts

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

This is another one of those trades where everyone looks at it and thinks "this looks bad", but somehow works out because Belichick is a dark wizard, isn't it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I love going through the revisions. In addition to the Browns and Complete Trash Bhoner butts, Collins today was also apparently traded to the New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys, the Miami Heat, and the Factory of Sadness.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Jamie Collins said something bad about Trump and Billy boy loves his Trump

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

sirtommygunn posted:

Can't wait for everyone to spin this into a secretly brilliant move by Belichick, because its impossible for good teams to do bad things and for bad teams to do good things.

I think character assassination is more likely and they're gonna need to try really hard because holy gently caress I can't imagine any other positive reasons for trading one of the defenses best players for literally nothing.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

It's a weird move to me as well. I feel like Collins doesn't give a full effort unless other players on the field are there to motivate him like Hightower or Mayo in previous seasons. The lynchpins of the defense are Hightower and Collins with Butler in the secondary and McCorty at safety. The defense only plays really well when all of those players are on the field. With some big contracts (vets on defense being released or retiring the past few years) off the books, it felt like it was a good time to get Hightower and Collins locked down with some bigtime NFL contracts. Even if they were going to let Collins go it would make more sense to wait until the end of the season.

I guess he's locker room poison and/or the Pats see him dogging on plays and expect it to only get worse. Still, their defense this year has been shaky and this doesn't help the defense get better. They got that linebacker from Detroit but I don't feel like his ceiling is as high as Collins? I'm curious if they'll make a big splash mood before 4pm...like the year they acquired Talib.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
what the actual gently caress

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

sirtommygunn posted:

It's probably not a good trade for the Pats, but it's certainly not a good trade for the Browns.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Lombardi has moved on to: he didn't want to be there, didn't want to play, dogging it

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gameko posted:

It's a weird move to me as well. I feel like Collins doesn't give a full effort unless other players on the field are there to motivate him like Hightower or Mayo in previous seasons. The lynchpins of the defense are Hightower and Collins with Butler in the secondary and McCorty at safety. The defense only plays really well when all of those players are on the field. With some big contracts (vets on defense being released or retiring the past few years) off the books, it felt like it was a good time to get Hightower and Collins locked down with some bigtime NFL contracts. Even if they were going to let Collins go it would make more sense to wait until the end of the season.

I guess he's locker room poison and/or the Pats see him dogging on plays and expect it to only get worse. Still, their defense this year has been shaky and this doesn't help the defense get better. They got that linebacker from Detroit but I don't feel like his ceiling is as high as Collins? I'm curious if they'll make a big splash mood before 4pm...like the year they acquired Talib.

:patssay:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/793443068959686657

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's because Collins wanted more money than Kuechly, nothing else

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And most everyone is just making GBS threads on Michael Lombardi over it deservedly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Lombardi is human garbage.

I mean in general, not just because of this, which is also lovely.

Also, even if fans & the media over-rated Collins, he still cost nothing to keep for the rest of 2016 and they got next to nothing for him, so why not keep him as depth instead?

Gynecolojustice posted:

It's because Collins wanted more money than Kuechly, nothing else

They're usually happy to just let guys like that walk in FA and take the comp pick like they did with Revis and Talib, though.

Nov 6, 2002

Dumb trade for both teams.

I mean, I understand why the Patriots did this. He's in the last year of his contract, he apparently wants big money - he should, he's earned it - and the regular season is half over. So if they really believed they'd never agree on a new contract, then I can see the cold logic in getting a 3rd round pick for half a season of a linebacker. But the reality is the Patriots have a 39 year old quarterback and are in win-now mode. So why break up one of the best young linebacking corps in the league?

The Browns have spent the entire off season collecting draft picks so they can rebuild. Now in the midst of a winless season they spend a 3rd rounder on the rights to a guy who's a free agent in a few months? If you were going to throw money at him why not wait until he hits free agency? Why give up the pick?

hearing whispers of gang ties

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Browns have spent the entire off season collecting draft picks so they can rebuild. Now in the midst of a winless season they spend a 3rd rounder on the rights to a guy who's a free agent in a few months? If you were going to throw money at him why not wait until he hits free agency? Why give up the pick?

As much as we'd all say this should work against them they get to bring him in house and try to sell them on what they're doing for a few months/the offseason before trying to lock him up long term. I also don't see why they couldn't franchise him if they wanted to?

Also if neither of those things happen they traded a 2017 pick for what should be a similar 2018 compensatory pick, which isn't awful for them. There are only so many rookies and second year guys you can realistically play.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

This won't ruin the Browns chance at a perfect season, will it?

Nov 6, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

As much as we'd all say this should work against them they get to bring him in house and try to sell them on what they're doing for a few months/the offseason before trying to lock him up long term. I also don't see why they couldn't franchise him if they wanted to?

Also if neither of those things happen they traded a 2017 pick for a 2018 compensatory pick, which isn't awful for them. There are really only so many rookies and second year guys you can realistically play.

All true. I just feel like there's a different version of this trade that would have made more sense for both teams. If New England traded Jamie Collins and a late pick for Joe Thomas, that would have been better suited for both team's needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

causticBeet posted:

I think character assassination is more likely and they're gonna need to try really hard because holy gently caress I can't imagine any other positive reasons for trading one of the defenses best players for literally nothing.

good call

• Locked thread