Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is wi-fi a :shillary: plot to dumb down the American people with brain cancer so they'll be docile useful idiots of the Republican-Democrat Uniparty?

IEE 802.11 was released in 1997 during Bill Clinton's administration right as the two parties were battling subversive outsider candidate Ross Perot who almost drove them out of power.

I'm not saying any of this is true but we can't rule it out and not only that we should assume it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.

I do, but probably would vote by mail if my polling place wasn't literally next door to my apartment complex. :feelsgood:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.

Texas early voter here, Denton county . Went on my lunch break on Halloween, in and out in 10 minutes.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Fun fact: 114k died from measles in 2014 while it took ten years to kill 175k in Iraq (seriously just googled "how many died in Iraq" to get that number).

Jill Stein gives zero fucks about those measles deaths as a result of supporting antivaxx bullshit.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fuckin magnets

how do they work
Let's check in with the Juggalo Country beat.

http://time.com/4521464/insane-clown-posse-killer-clowns/

A wicked clown posted:

After 25 years of unquestionably being The World’s Most Hated Band, Insane Clown Posse has just about seen it all. We’ve had an album censored and then yanked from stores by Disney, been completely slaughtered by music critics despite selling over 12 million albums and, for the first time in music history, had our entire fanbase—The Juggalos—officially labeled a “hybrid gang” by the FBI, which to this day continues to have thousands of horror rap–loving fans added to a punishing gang database simply for sporting our logos in public, whether it’s a tattoo, T-shirt or even something as simple as a car window sticker.

So when TIME asked us for our opinion on this wave of so-called “killer clown ” sightings that seem to be popping up all over America, we were intrigued. Rolling Stone called the rash of reports a “hoax” in a recent article that also pointed out that way back in 1981, when me and my partner in rhyme and best friend Shaggy 2 Dope were in grade school, there were reports of so-called “phantom clowns” supposedly driving around in vans, harassing kids, and in some reports, wielding weapons like machetes. Despite the many reports, police could not confirm one incident of this wave of sightings and not a single “phantom clown” was ever arrested.

Cut to 2016. Everyone once again is seeing so-called “killer clowns” everywhere—popping out of bushes, threatening people on social media and assorted other public pranks. Cops have actually arrested a few people this time around, though, because there’s a lot of copycats out there and mass hysteria has a way of making people do stupid s—.

But as ICP has discovered over the last decade, there’s a whole army of scary, terrifying and dangerous clowns out there in this country trying to suppress the rights of thousands of people to exercise the most basic part of the Declaration of Independence, which evokes the freedom to “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” The only difference is these clowns don’t wear greasepaint.

These clowns threaten the very fabric on which our nation was supposedly founded upon—and for some f—ing crazy-a– reason, they’re getting away with it. From keystone-cop clowns shooting unarmed citizens, to racist clowns burning down Islamic centers or clowns in the NSA spying on us through our cell phones and laptops, America has turned into something far more terrifying than Insane Clown Posse’s Dark Carnival. Even a scrub like me who dropped out of school in ninth grade can see what’s going on. Today’s reality is scarier than anything you’ll ever hear on one of our albums.

If you want to see the ultimate example of these “killer clowns” in action, consider what happened to our hard-working, mostly blue-collar fans, the Juggalos. In 2011, the FBI named the Juggalos in its National Gang Threat Assesment. Ever since, they have been targeted, profiled and blatantly discriminated on by law enforcement agencies across America. Over the last four years, we’ve been working with our legal team and the ACLU of Michigan, to prove to the U.S. Department of Justice that this completely ridiculous gang label slapped on Juggalos is literally destroying lives.

Fact: People simply walking their dogs while wearing an ICP shirt have been stopped, searched and added to the local gang member database—when no crime has been committed. This has happened hundreds and hundreds of times across the U.S., and the stories just get worse from there. Recently, there was a probation officer who was let go for being identified as a Juggalo, and her employer had no problem writing it as the reason for her severance in her termination paperwork. Others have lost their jobs, custody of their kids and been subject to illegal search and seizure.

Which is why on September 16, 2017, at the National Mall in D.C., the Juggalo family and our allies in other civil action groups will march on our nation’s capital, as well as host a two-day free concert, to send our message directly to the U.S. Department of Justice: The discrimination against Juggalos must be seen for the unconstitutional travesty it is.

So you don’t like ICP’s profanity-filled raps, or that we throw soda everywhere at our shows. Or you don’t get why anybody would ever want to attend our Gathering of the Juggalos festival. Just know that, despite these sensationalized reports about “killer clowns” wreaking mischief across the nation, there are real clowns out there killing ours and your very rights as an American citizen.

Now that’s truly scary, and nothing to clown around about.
The current projections in the Juggalo homeland is mixed, with Michigan and Illinois projected to go for Hillary, while Indiana and Ohio are mixed bags. We recommend Hillary Clinton unite her message with the Insane Clown Posse, as they now have a common enemy: Dumbasses at the FBI.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

bhsman posted:

There's a lot of folks posting early voting trip reports in the TXPOL thread. For me, it was a) potentially helping to depress the R vote, and b) being available on Election Day in case any friends need a ride.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...
Hillary's coming to Phoenix on Wednesday for an early vote rally. I kind of want to go but it's out of my way and I have schoolwork/studying. Is this something that would be worth getting off my lazy rear end for?

And if I do go, is it better to arrive to such events really early? Doors open at 3:30 but it doesn't start til 6:30.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Hopefully they come back like measles did. Except without the suffering.

Oh please, after a narrow escape like that who woul

Mixodorian posted:

I had a fully quoted and well organized post ready in the last thread, but you can't fight the calendar. To make it brief to the several people who didn't want to hear what I was saying.

-I realize I got dogpiled specifically for the wifi, and I rolled my eyes when I heard Jill Stein say what she did about wi-fi. I am more of a person who would want proof there is harm instead of giving equal weight to "maybe it's harmful, maybe it's not", but the health implications of wi-fi are still not well known enough to conclusively say it is safe or it is not safe (for children, in this example).

On top of that, it is such a small grievance to have with a politician. Beyond voting for the Iraq War with Dick Cheney as VP, Hillary also completely ignored stop and frisk while she was senator which is irksome to me as a black New Yorker who did go to jail for possessing buds, as well as her trying to make flag burning illegal. Those are far, far more odious to me than being afraid the babies will get sick off the wi-fi.

I got asked if I was worried about fluoride and cell phone signals and no, I'm not. There is irrefutable evidence about the safety of both. There is not the same for wi-fi, as the lengthy research from last year I linked to shows.

All of you further proved my point. Hillary is who we need to go with for our next president, it's too late to change that. It isn't even a question to me.

I just have my problems with people not wanting to hear someone who keeps up with politics say they'd prefer Jill Stein. She throws a bone to the nutty constituents of the green party...

... but I'll be frank. That type of thing doesn't bother me. My people were subject to the Tuskgee experiments in the not too distant past.

I mean, just a quick recap of what John Oliver brought up:
* Print money to cancel all student debt.
* Should the UK stay or should it go? Stein can't decide.
* Vaccine truther
* 9/11 Truther
* Wifi truther

Adding a dealbreaker from her AmA on reddit:
* Anti-nuclear power.

That last one is so mind-bogglingly stupid from the loving GREEN PARTY because unless you want to power the world on magic unicorn farts something has to burn. We can't realistically add Hydro (plus it's an environmental mess of it's own), we're already building on the best wind sites, industrial solar is a very regional thing and personal solar is extremely problematic when you consider environmental cost of production vs miniscule savings one home at a time. Atoms, coal or oil. Pick what you want to burn.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mixodorian posted:

I got asked if I was worried about fluoride and cell phone signals and no, I'm not. There is irrefutable evidence about the safety of both. There is not the same for wi-fi, as the lengthy research from last year I linked to shows.

So cell bands at 1.9GHz are totally cool but 2.1GHz is the magical fry-babies'-brains frequency?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Fun fact: 114k died from measles in 2014 while it took ten years to kill 175k in Iraq (seriously just googled "how many died in Iraq" to get that number).

Jill Stein gives zero fucks about those measles deaths as a result of supporting antivaxx bullshit.

please, she prefers to be called doctor stein

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

bhsman posted:

Voted on Sunday, wife voted on Saturday. +2 for Hillary here in Cuyahoga County. Going to do GOTV stuff on Election Day.

Honestly next time around though, I'll probably vote by mail. Not a huge fan of half a dozen different buses and vans for judicial races lined up around the Board of Elections blaring their PA systems at anyone in a 3 block radius. And then waiting for half an hour in line.

Obviously not terrible hardships, but voting could be better, and it should be.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobsterhead posted:

Hillary's coming to Phoenix on Wednesday for an early vote rally. I kind of want to go but it's out of my way and I have schoolwork/studying. Is this something that would be worth getting off my lazy rear end for?

And if I do go, is it better to arrive to such events really early? Doors open at 3:30 but it doesn't start til 6:30.

Do it, you might regret missing the chance. I'd go early, there's a good chance they'll hit capacity and start turning people away.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What are the weather reports for election day? Any storms in swing states?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bip Roberts posted:

What are the weather reports for election day? Any storms in swing states?

7 days out is too early to predict. Come back on Saturday and we might have some idea.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Remember when Hillary said autism was suspiciously on the rise in 2008 when asked about vaccines? I do

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/hillary-clinton-vaccine-tweet

So is she as dumb and crazy as Jill Stein now?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bhsman posted:

I have my California mail-in ballot filled out and sealed in its envelope, but I'm stuck on a farm with my family for the moment so I haven't delivered it yet. Will probably be hitching a ride to do that sometime. This'll be my first time voting, too; while I theoretically could have voted in the 2012 election, college and depression and stuff distracted me.

In the future will probably be voting in person, since I should be moving into Fresno soon hopefully, though I may stick with mail voting then I guess. I don't know. Again, this is my first time, so I don't have a tradition or preference yet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
One more week till we can start getting hype about the midterm elections! Then it's less than a year till the Republican primary process will start. :woop:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The greatest month of all time has just started.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

7 days out is too early to predict. Come back on Saturday and we might have some idea.

At least from the 7 day forecast it looks nice in Ohio, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Denver.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

please, she prefers to be called doctor stein

What's the most sarcastic way you can possibly inflect the word "Doctor"?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm so excited to stop hearing about Donald Trump every single day.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Mixodorian posted:

Remember when Hillary said autism was suspiciously on the rise in 2008 when asked about vaccines? I do

The first line says she promotes getting vaccines.

So no.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
This is my point : would Jill stein, in hillarys shoes, have made the same choices to resulted in human suffering and loss of life? I don't think so... So why does being a goofy hippy within reasonable parameters make her crazy? It's all I ever hear about her and I really don't see how it's anything worth worrying about.

All she said is "we don't know if wifi is harmful and let's keep it away from our kids til we do" the science says we aren't for sure yet, even tho I really doubt it's dangerous. This is what's supposed to lead me to believe that she's a worse candidate than Hillary?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i have off on election day, i'll get to follow along the anxiety train in real-time this year

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
it's like 4am on the east coast which is sad because there are three completely loving insane things in my inbox right now and I have no one to boggle at them with

One: Trump committed hilarious amounts of tax evasion probably

Two: Trump is possibly The Manchurian Candidate. Like literally.

Three, and most important: Trump wrote a loving BDSM erotica novel

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mixodorian posted:

It's true that under Clinton Rules, one remark nearly eight years ago IS completely and exactly the same as a long-standing political position. Also, good things, bad things, the same, no difference.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Mixodorian posted:

This is my point : would Jill stein, in hillarys shoes, have made the same choices to resulted in human suffering and loss of life? I don't think so... So why does being a goofy hippy within reasonable parameters make her crazy? It's all I ever hear about her and I really don't see how it's anything worth worrying about.

All she said is "we don't know if wifi is harmful and let's keep it away from our kids til we do" the science says we aren't for sure yet, even tho I really doubt it's dangerous. This is what's supposed to lead me to believe that she's a worse candidate than Hillary?

Stein claims to be ready to be president. That's lock-her-up certifiably crazy material right there.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Bless me USPOL, for I have Arzy'd.

Is there any truth or substance to the Trump/Russia stuff blowing up on Reddit right now?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pander posted:

The first line says she promotes getting vaccines.

So no.

And then hems and haws that maybe we just need to ask more questions guys.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Do it, you might regret missing the chance. I'd go early, there's a good chance they'll hit capacity and start turning people away.

Agreed. I've missed a few near me (I live in central FL, so everyone keeps showing up. I just missed Obama a few days ago) and I regret it. Stay up a bit late that night to catch up on schoolwork, you can go to bed early the next day.

I did get to see one of the first Obama/Bill Clinton joint events in '08, so that was good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

StrixNebulosa posted:

Somehow my class lined up a test to be due on the 8th, which is fan-tastic.

I'm ready for this election to be over, though. I know it's in the bag for Hillary but I'm just really ready to stop hearing about Trump.

Unless he gets arrested for... One of the many, MANY things he has done, I doubt he's gonna go quietly into the night.

Remember that one psycho in the last thread? That's what it's gonna be like with his surrogates at least. Donnie I think is just gonna try and walk away from any interview.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mixodorian posted:

hahahaha

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

bhsman posted:

It's a like 25 mile drive each way to the early voting location for my County so I vote on election day instead of wasting gas.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm so excited to stop hearing about Donald Trump every single day.
I'll believe that when I experience my first non-Trump day in a year and a half and not a moment sooner.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
My point is, I would've been happier with a number of democrats than Hillary. Warren topping that list, but others like Wyden, Murray, Leahy, even Boxer. They all managed to not vote for the Iraq War and have national name recognition. How is this a controversial point to raise?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mixodorian posted:

Did you get MMR as a child? You should ask your chiropractor to check for vaccine injury.

Translation: learn to loving read someone up thread answered that for you.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mixodorian posted:

The Wakefield study on autism and vaccines was proven to have fabricated its data in 2010, so it's not totally unreasonable for a non-professional to have been worried in 2008.

Jill Stein, a medical doctor, continuing to pander to believers in a discredited snake-oil salesman's crackpot theories post-2010 is inexcusable.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pander posted:

What's the most sarcastic way you can possibly inflect the word "Doctor"?

chiropractor

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

And then hems and haws that maybe we just need to ask more questions guys.

Are you responding to the right person here or something? I'm confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Is this for real?

• Locked thread