Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I had a fully quoted and well organized post ready in the last thread, but you can't fight the calendar. To make it brief to the several people who didn't want to hear what I was saying.

-I realize I got dogpiled specifically for the wifi, and I rolled my eyes when I heard Jill Stein say what she did about wi-fi. I am more of a person who would want proof there is harm instead of giving equal weight to "maybe it's harmful, maybe it's not", but the health implications of wi-fi are still not well known enough to conclusively say it is safe or it is not safe (for children, in this example).

On top of that, it is such a small grievance to have with a politician. Beyond voting for the Iraq War with Dick Cheney as VP, Hillary also completely ignored stop and frisk while she was senator which is irksome to me as a black New Yorker who did go to jail for possessing buds, as well as her trying to make flag burning illegal. Those are far, far more odious to me than being afraid the babies will get sick off the wi-fi.

I got asked if I was worried about fluoride and cell phone signals and no, I'm not. There is irrefutable evidence about the safety of both. There is not the same for wi-fi, as the lengthy research from last year I linked to shows.

All of you further proved my point. Hillary is who we need to go with for our next president, it's too late to change that. It isn't even a question to me.

I just have my problems with people not wanting to hear someone who keeps up with politics say they'd prefer Jill Stein. She throws a bone to the nutty constituents of the green party...

... but I'll be frank. That type of thing doesn't bother me. My people were subject to the Tuskgee experiments in the not too distant past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Remember when Hillary said autism was suspiciously on the rise in 2008 when asked about vaccines? I do

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/hillary-clinton-vaccine-tweet

So is she as dumb and crazy as Jill Stein now?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
This is my point : would Jill stein, in hillarys shoes, have made the same choices to resulted in human suffering and loss of life? I don't think so... So why does being a goofy hippy within reasonable parameters make her crazy? It's all I ever hear about her and I really don't see how it's anything worth worrying about.

All she said is "we don't know if wifi is harmful and let's keep it away from our kids til we do" the science says we aren't for sure yet, even tho I really doubt it's dangerous. This is what's supposed to lead me to believe that she's a worse candidate than Hillary?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
My point is, I would've been happier with a number of democrats than Hillary. Warren topping that list, but others like Wyden, Murray, Leahy, even Boxer. They all managed to not vote for the Iraq War and have national name recognition. How is this a controversial point to raise?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

The Wakefield study on autism and vaccines was proven to have fabricated its data in 2010, so it's not totally unreasonable for a non-professional to have been worried in 2008.

Jill Stein, a medical doctor, continuing to pander to believers in a discredited snake-oil salesman's crackpot theories post-2010 is inexcusable.

Holy poo poo hahahahaha. So being anti vax was fine til 2010? I think a lot of people owe that McCarthy lady an apology.

This would work if Jill Stein was anti vax, but you know she definitely isn't lol.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Majorian posted:

Nah, even then most people knew it was BS.

Thank you, even my teenage self could go on google and figure that out pre-2010.

I don't know. I can't sleep so I'm on here. I just feel like there is a subset of people who literally cannot accept any criticism of Hillary. I'll be the first to say Jill Stein probably burns sage smudges or whatever. I just worry that this will continue after she is elected and people will be afraid to make any sort of attempt to hold her feet to the fire over the inevitable bad ideas she comes up with.

Such as, no fly zone over Syria. Bad enough on it's own, but the news of John Podesta telling gulf staters Hillary will take action against Iran and the US finally admitting Iran backs the Houthis coming on the same exact day really puts fear into me. My girl's parents are both Iranians that came over as refugees during the 79 revolution... I constantly have to assuage their fears of action against Iran and it has become increasingly harder to do as Hillary has come closer to the presidency.

Not saying Trump would be any better! Before anyone gets that idea. He'd be worse.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Clinton wasn't anti-vax in 2008. "We should look into this possible link" is a much more reasonable position before you find out that the evidence for the link was fabricated by a huckster.

What's Jill Stein's excuse for "I'm just asking questions about vaccines" six years after the autism link was revealed to be a fraud?

Na, Stein only said she didn't want to ignore her constituents that felt that way. She went on to say she is pro-vaccine and they are important in modern healthcare.

Grouchio posted:

As someone with high-functioning Autism, I'm going to have to check if my parents were pro or anti-vaccine before reaching a personal consensus.
Nevertheless the issue seems somewhat silly.

Bless friend, I can't understand what you go through just as many people I argue politics can't understand being black.

QuarkJets posted:

Jill Stein is completely inept as a politician and as a leader. If anything, Jill Stein would have made different choices to result in more human suffering and more loss of life

No it doesn't

Well I think it'd be hard for Jill Stein to beat supporting the Iraq War!

and yes, I've already looked into this before, I couldn't find a single journal that said we knew for sure either way the safety of wi-fi. I posted a recent pubmed in the last thread, go check it out

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You are worried an American president won't be criticized enough.

Oh, Hillary will get more than what could ever be considered humane or fair just for being a woman. I just worry no one will speak up if she decides to nix our trust building with Iran cuz the Houthis (rightfully, imo) hate Saudi Arabia. I also hear from my mother about her March speech in Harlem where she promised social justice for black Americans will be the top mission of her presidency, something she seemingly doesn't care to talk about much anymore.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

The correct action is to correct then ignore constituents that feel that way. Those constituents are actively harming society. They deserve no pity if they choose to ignore the mountains of evidence saying they're full of poo poo.

Yeah, I agree with this line of thought. Sadly, it doesn't work in reality. The people that would've been off put by a Hillary/Warren ticket or Hillary/Latino or Booker ticket shouldn't be catered to either, and yet we got the white catholic so no one got scared of the diversity.

Her presidency hasn't even started yet man. What was your hero Jill Stein going to do for our community? Give all the cops measles?

I guess what you make of this video depends on how much you think John Podesta can accurately describe Hillary's plans to people, but here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8q_g66DU8&t=98s

Even just her admitted plan to install a no fly zone over Syria is extremely alarming to me. Who is flying over Syria? The US, Iran, and Russia as we take turns bombing ISIS... so, idk.

edit: woah I just saw that dig you added in. Yeah she could give them measles maybe. Or maybe she's try to implement parts of Campaign Zero which she supports. Either way, better than Hillary's plan of giving federal training guidelines and not much else and just hoping the cops stop killing black people because they're afraid of too much melanin in one person.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 1, 2016

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Nice tuck and roll with the goalpost there but you and I were pretty clearly talking about Hillary, Stein, and social justice for the black community.

Sorry, I genuinely didn't realize you were singling in on that.

I still stand by the fact that Jill Stein supports campaign zero, along with her choice of Baraka, would be the better pick for black Americans.

Check out Hillary's section on racial justice and police reform on her campaign site. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/criminal-justice-reform/

(When you go to issues and hit racial justice, it goes to that link. I think we have more problems than the criminal justice system but w/e)

Anyways her proposals are federal guidelines for police, body cameras, and acknowledging policing is racist. That's really it. It doesn't inspire any confidence in me. To each their own though.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Look I wanted to see Vice President Latino as much as the next person, but he's simply too indispensable in his service as Politician of State. Maybe if Asian fails in her bid for Mayor of City we can move her over to State Capital and Latino can move up to the big show.

Don't do this. It's foolishness. She had several Latinos on her short list, Booker was the only black person. That is why I typed that that way and you knew that. Don't make me go dig for a Hillary shortlist write up.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Uhh, this seems good. Why are you against this?

A brother got shot in North Carolina and the police chief decided not to release body cam footage. Unless we can have the DOJ get in on every case where a non violent black person is killed, body cameras and federal guidelines are not nearly enough.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

1stGear posted:

You disingenuous motherfucker.

Additional funding for the DoJ, reining in the militarization of the police, better data collection on police shootings, national use-of-force guidelines. But yeah, its just body cameras and acknowledging racism.

Meanwhile:

Same ideas, but as a bunch of vague platitudes instead of specific policies. Because Stein is an idiot who knows nothing about governance.

1stGear posted:

You disingenuous motherfucker.

Additional funding for the DoJ, reining in the militarization of the police, better data collection on police shootings, national use-of-force guidelines. But yeah, its just body cameras and acknowledging racism.

Meanwhile:

Same ideas, but as a bunch of vague platitudes instead of specific policies. Because Stein is an idiot who knows nothing about governance.

Alright. I missed out on changing equipment reporting standards. The rest are just vague platitudes to my eyes. What will be the extent of the DOJ's involvement into civil rights cases? If a black man gets killed and had a legal gun like we've seen, will that be considered for federal investigation?

If Jill stein had to come up with her own ideas for reform, I'm sure they wouldn't be great. However, she endorses Campaign Zero which is certainly the best feasible set of plans for the US's problem that I've seen. I would vote on her just to see that implemented.

I also preferred Bernies strongly worded "automatic DOJ investigation if someone is killed by police" much, much better

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Jesus I'm not sure I can do eight solid years of people raging against the concept of incremental progress.

I won't be one of those people, I'm not raging. I just find it fascinating that Hillary is flawless/her flaws are inconsequential to so many people. Maybe we should've picked her over Obama in 2008, considering we are getting killed in the streets and not much has changed.

Dexo posted:

So close yet so far away to November 8th

Hillary's plans and ideas are pretty much exactly in line with what Campaign Zero wants though?

If you think they are platitudes that's like fine, as that's probably just how you feel. But I'm sorry that she didn't ever specifically name drop them.

There are extremely substantial differences between what Campaign Zero outlines and what Hillary has outlined. Campaign detail actually outlines specifics, as well. Don't make it out like I'm unsatisfied over a name drop, that's hosed.

An example would be ending the police seizure of people's property. I live in the Bronx. Do you know how many bodegas get raided and have all their poo poo stolen by the police without reason?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Well man, if you're not raging people aren't calling Hillary flawless either. Do you really need to do the bad relationship "I just think it's funny how..." distancing from your own opinions to come out with them? We're in the last week of the election, the stakes are high, and her presidency hasn't even started yet. Forgive us if no one feels like arguing policy with someone who hasn't even read up on what Hillary's policies are for her presidency she hasn't even won yet.

And you're doing the frustratingly common layman politics thing of thinking everything we do in this country goes through the executive branch. Police seizure is a big thing, but the president doesn't have jack poo poo to do with it.

Well I did have some posters excuse her for saying the rise of autism might be linked to vaccines which amazed me. It's not funny, it's just anxiety inducing.

I get it though, I've been of the mind that Hillary can't lose to Trump and should be more understanding that people are still worried.

I am well aware that the president doesn't get to dictate how the police operate, just as the president can't equip police with body cameras but only propose budgets that would allow matching the departments on the cost.

I just feel like if you're going to come to the Apollo and say racial justice for black Americans will be the mission of your presidency, and we can hold her feet to the fire on that, she'd have a little bit more in mind than what she has let on so far. This being after the rent on my mother and grandmother's shared apartment near 145th went up after the Clinton Foundation decided to set up shop in Harlem.

Either way, despite being safe to vote for Jill Stein in NY, I'm most likely voting for Hillary just to run up the score on Trump. My mother isn't going to vote though, she gave up on Hillary after seeing the video of her giving lip to that young Haitian(?) girl about "if you don't like it, run yourself" way back during the primaries.

e: thanks for the actual serious responses though.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Kilroy posted:

You're not exactly wrong but your complaint mainly relates to cable news, and no one under 45 really gives a gently caress about that.

Turns out a lot of the shitbirds that came of age before the CRA, yearn for the days when the blacks and the Mexicans knew their place.

Their point still stands in general though when it took two of the three people running for the democratic nomination getting back lash for saying "all lives matter" for them get it together. One of those people saying all lives matter to a black congregation after the Charleston church shooting. It might not be the in-your-face Trump brand of white supremacy, but it is still going to be the name of the game for the foreseeable future.

Anyways am I missing something or are people in here really worried about Trump winning? Hillary is going to win. The odds given by models aren't each candidates absolute chances in a vacuum, and Trump has no realistic path to win nor is there enough time left for anything to cause a game changing swing.

Senate I would understand the anxiety, but even with that I think we are safe. I think the effect of Trump's alienation of women will become much more apparent once all is said and done.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Aren't people predicting she retires in the next 4 years?

Isn't she trying to beat the record held by Holmes who served til he was 90? Am I imagining things?

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

So one pollster has her certain to win, another has her with a 2/3 chance, what a weird election

Nate is trying to account for a Trump x-factor I think. He's assuming that the polls are wrong as far as I know. He may be right, but I would pay more attention to PEC. Still vote, but Hillary should have this in the bag. I think y'all are freaking out a bit too much.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

His model accounts for an event equivalent to Hillary performing a partial birth abortion on live TV.

Lol isn't this all because Nate thought Trump had no chance during the primaries then got shook when Trump got the nomination? I still think Nate is great but he's definitely lost the plot... Like I said there's part of me that thinks hey maybe he pinned down some x-factor poo poo since he is a smart guy, but realistically that's extremely unlikely.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Guys Hillary is against partial birth abortion can we stop with the superfluous conjecture?

e: content, here is an interesting analysis of 538's prediction http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2016/Feature_stories/538.html

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm pretty sure he hasn't changed his model since before the election

It is the same model, but the now cast which is the number in question uses polls-only and is set as if today was the election day, and on top of that weights recent polls more.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Got a link to that?

https://www.scribd.com/document/329698329/TargetSmart-William-Mary-Florida-Poll-of-Early-and-Likely-Voters

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

Well, no, she's not. That's rather the point, as those are the most medically necessary abortions-never performed unless lives are at stake.

Also, cease the political correctness, the term is intact dilation and extraction.

What do you think the third one is? My money's on something good for children :kimchi:

quote:

However, Clinton stressed that she objects to the recent efforts in Congress to pass a federal law banning abortions after 20 weeks with no exceptions. "Under Roe v. Wade, it is appropriate to say in these circumstances" that abortion rights may be restricted, she said -- "so long as there's an exception for the life and health of the mother."

http://www.snopes.com/boycott36-clinton-sanders-late-term-abortion/

I might be misunderstanding, and I could be wrong on how many weeks it generally is into a pregnancy before it becomes partial birth, but it sounds like she'd be ok with a 20 week ban as long as there was an exception for health of the mother?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

that's rather the point, as those are the most medically necessary abortions-never performed unless lives are at stake.

Sorry you have to vote for Gary Johnson, friend.

I thought the cutoff in sane states was 24 weeks? Either way though, you seem better read on this and I'm a man so I'll give it up. As long as women are comfortable with it her position.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Can I empty-quote this? I really want to, but if not here's a :respek: consolation prize.

That's why I'm With Her and going out to volunteer to GOTV later this evening and every evening up to Election Day.

Love Trumps Hate, They Go Low We Go High, etc etc. :abuela::swoon:

I have a ton of concerns about Hillary (mainly the company she keeps) as a firm supporter of Iran and would prefer about a dozen qualified democrats to her, but yeah I'm most likely giving her my vote just to make her vote tally larger. Since her victory over Trump will be a good symbolic repudiation of the white supremacist and sexist elements of society we are struggling against. Saying this as a New Yorker, if I was in a battleground it would've never been a question.

I voted for Peta Lindsay in 2012.

edit: thanks stone cold for the info!

Charlz Guybon posted:

That's the original poll isn't it? I thought there was more?

Sorry I can't seem to find what I saw earlier, but Lawrence O'Donnell confirmed it on his twitter if you're just looking for a confirmation. From exit interviews.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 3, 2016

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Donkwich posted:

Your vote for an ineligible person is still more respectable than my 2012 vote for Jill Stein. :ughh:

I actually had the pleasure of meeting her, she's an insanely intelligent sister. None of the usual craziness trappings you get from Green candidates

Peta actually showed up in a Hillary ad without Peta's permission and she's really not happy about it, weird coincidence.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

We killed Mohammed Mosaddegh getting the ball rolling for Iran to become an Islamic state, Iran becomes an Islamic state, still manages to be less cartoonishly evil than Israel and Saudi Arabia who we play along with. Iran is also the most educated country in the Middle East. Why is my desire for the United States to support Iran on their road of rehabilitation, which has started with electing Rouhani, funny??? (I know the choices were skewed to Khamenei's liking to start, but Iranians going for the moderate option is still a great sign)

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Samfucius posted:

This really really really doesn't feel true to me, and actually I'm pretty anxious about it. She hasn't lost yet, but public opinion has momentum, and right now it looks like that momentum is against her. I think she's gonna lose. I already voted for her, and my state is solidly blue, so I feel a bit helpless at the moment.

What are you looking at that makes the momentum look it it's not with Hillary? You live in a solidly blue state and think this? Based on what???

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Samfucius posted:

I'm on mobile so screenshotting is a pain in the rear end, but pretend I pithily posted a screenshot of the graph of the 538 election forecast over the last few weeks. As much as the highs were high, the country wasn't voting then.

The now-cast right? Check out this

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-users-guide-to-fivethirtyeights-2016-general-election-forecast/

You can scroll thru and see what the now cast is based off of. It is just straight polls ignoring trends, with the most recent polls being weighted as more meaningful.

Nate thought Trump wasn't poo poo in the primaries, got proven wrong and got shook, and is now over-correcting. Make sure you vote but you really don't need to be worrying. Unless you can show me an electoral path for Trump that can be taken seriously.

I am far from a Hillary fan, but she's gonna win. It's gonna be good cuz it's gonna be telling all the backwards rear end people in this country "we outnumber you"

Peace.

Nessus posted:

The thing is that Hillary was developing enough of a comical lead that this mostly means, "the House is no longer a long-shot but not completely long shot." Comey took an axe to another pillar of civil society in order to make it so the GOP loses the Senate by a somewhat smaller margin.

e: The only time Trump has gotten over Hillary in RCP's own tracker is right after the RNC. You're seeing a break for him because people are realizing they don't give a poo poo that he's a belligerent white supremacist who probably hosed a child, as long as he gives them the SCOTUS/a powerful feeling. Hillary is leading by twice what Obama did at the actual day-of, in RCP's tracker, and probably has a greater proportional GOTV advantage (in that Trump has less of one).

Last minute seeing this post, listen to Nessus because they are correct.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Because believing Iran needs "rehabilitation" through what amounts to a regime change isn't support even if you're waving a electoral figleaf around. There's a huge gulf of difference between supporting Iran and simply believing they have a right to diplomatic engagement rather than invasion/airstrikes. In simpler words, your support of Iran is "They're assholes but that doesn't mean we should bomb them until they love us since it's obvious the Iranian public is perfectly capable of pushing their government in a moderate direction from the ballot box," which is about as unique as having a goddamn nose and doesn't earn you any kudos.

What's next? A bold stance on how women are people too? Going out on a limb in opposition to child soldiers?

What the gently caress is your problem? You're putting words in my mouth. I want Iran to moderate and be the adult in the room in the Middle East. My in laws are refugees from the 1979 revolution. They have the size and their population is educated enough.

The Middle East is dirt poor and conflict ridden. Who would you suggest better to be a guiding force? Saudi Arabia? Turkey? US? Russia?

Give me a loving break. Stop trying to flex on me you white rear end know nothing.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

For what it's worth I agree with this. But most Americans think that Israel should somehow manage to do all of this. This is also a direct conflict to the plan of supporting Iran.

Good looks bruv/sister. I won't derail this thread beyond this, but for sure the idea of getting Americans to stop seeing Iran as a boogeyman and realize they could realistically affect positive change in the region is a joke. That is my main point of contention with Hillary. Obama and Kerry have been doing a surprisingly good job of building the basis of a good relationship with Iran, and it'll crush me to see that thrown away. I hope the Clinton administration proves me wrong.

Despite all this, I won't associate with anyone seriously voting trump at this point. I'm Ghanaian. People see me having concerns about Hillary and think I'm gonna turn it into "maybe trump would magically be better"... I'm not.

Bernie would've been my first choice and if he was the nominee I would've been dogging on him for giving a flat no to reparations instead of explaining why it's not politically feasible. Please do not pigeon hole me.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh :smith:

The "reasonable" racists get to me the worst

If a 40ish percent of our country (a very mainly white 40ish percent) can support a presidential candidate who has some 5 step plan to beat Islam (and much much more that we all know) and be allowed to continue living their lives unfettered, we shouldn't be afraid to stand by our own convictions. I know it is difficult, but I think we are starting to turn the page. We shouldn't have to deal with the "reasonable racism" out of our good nature anymore.

It is seriously ridiculous that in this country, supporting Trump isn't met with severe social stigma. I work in finance in New York and a good chunk of my coworkers are voting Trump with glee, thinking the white national aspect of a Trump presidency is a laughing matter. FFFFFuck that.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Ew and there's such a pervasive assumption that every Trump voter lives on a dirt farm too. People forget that the cities are also full of terrible people. Those are Trump's people.

For sure. My characterization of Trump voters is white men who are living a comfortable life don't give a solitary gently caress about anyone else. There is a surprisingly large amount of people who fit this description because, shockingly, our society is designed around allowing people like this to exist at the expense of others.

I grew up in SC, and while the south certainly has more unsavory views as a whole, trying to write off trump voters as all hicks leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering the people I interact with EVERY DAY IN MANHATTAN.

E: to be fair, almost every male cab or uber driver I've talked election 2016 with also are trump. Mainly Indian. Don't know why this would be the case, but New York is a confused place.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I think we will all be dead by climate change before an English speaking website can have a serious and good faith discussion on why there are a grand total of like 3 (guessing here) video games star a black woman as the main and playable character.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I apologize. But this thread moves very fast, I'm on an iPhone mashing replies, and every one of my posts is getting 3-5 replies because I volunteered to let the hive analyze my thought process.

It's pretty clear what you think of me anyway, but I just want to let you know why a huge effortpost at 2AM is not in my wheelhouse right now.

It is 5am here and I don't have to be til work til 10am, so I could sleep a few more hours.

Take that as context as when I say when somebody from a marginalized takes their time to give you a good explanation of something you don't fully understand, don't last minute bounce and then act like their disappointment in a lack of reply from you isn't reasonable.

It is 2016. Your group holds a large dominance in population and wealth. If you do care, please don't act like you were posting on something awful moments before sleep and couldn't catch them until later.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Miyamoto should retcon the Mario Bros. as Somalian immigrant sisters before he retires, the crying would never stop being funny

I would preorder and wait in line at night for the Maryan sisters.

Thanks for reminding me of my disappointment in my Italian, Irish, and polish new yorks turning their backs on melanated people once they were finally accepted into white hood after going thru white people fuckery themselves.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Everyone knows it can't be racism if you say it in a calm voice.

Exactly! That's why being stalked by store employees and being asked "can I help you find anything" isn't racist at all.

In all seriousness though, and I could be wrong since I just tried to catch up on you two's exchange just now, it seems like the disconnect is Craptacular! Either can't or hasn't stopped to consider that you've had to make this same case a million times over, while this could be their very first time being told these kinds of things.

So Craptacular! If you see my post, please try to think about that for a moment.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Adding to TB and Craptacular!'s exchange, non Latino black Americans are 13% of the population.

If you are white and you do care to end white supremacy, the onus is onus is on you to learn up. You are the majority, you have the wealth and power. We will help explain of course, but please at least try to consider any guidance we offer for several minutes... Really try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person, before you get indignant and defensive. It's ridiculous.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

Truly everyone else is the problem, especially TB, not you! The problem simply is that You Are Not Progressive Enough. How enlightened and magnanimous of you.

I am a very perennial poster on this site and also a dark skinned black man. If he is stopping now and saying he will think on what was said, let him be for now.

If he comes back and keeps saying gently caress poo poo, rip him to shreds. For now though let him think despite how he's been so far.

I had to win over a family of Iranians, as well as many other people similar to him. It is insanely annoying especially if they're white and acting like you owe them a long drawn out explanation, but if he is ceding for now so let's let him go and think.

It will be worth if it he comes to understand. If he is a regularly poo poo headed poster, please disregard this post.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Nessus posted:

Huh. Was it Iranian-Americans or straight up Iranians? At least someone from Literally Another, Non-English-Speaking Country may fairly plead ignorance of cultural nuance.

Parents came over during the 1979 revolution, my fiancée was raised in New York as an American.

My girl was fine, her family was not thrilled to see their daughter bring home a lanky dark skinned boy. It took some doing, but they came around.

And I agree, it was hard to get mad at my soon to be in-laws considering their background. That's totally fair, it was tough though cuz when they came here they wanted to forget Iran. The father is a chunky curly olive dude who tries to pass as a Sicilian Italian man in New York, with some success lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Okay gently caress it why not, because this deserves closure.

I don't understand what you're defining as racism anymore, though. You initially responded to me using, as an analogy, an example of a person who opposes racism but doesn't see repetitions as the answer. You responded with a calm, great post about not jumping defensively at people like they're calling you a monster. It made sense to me, because in essence I was talking about the rejection and disassociation that can be felt from a cause when it goes to a point that I feel is too far.

Now again, I brought it up merely as an analogy, then absent-mindedly threw in AA as another controversial corrective measure, one I support myself but don't consider the people who don't to be modern day monsters as much as misguided egalitarians (after all, in a truly egalitarian place, AA makes no difference at all since there would be no racial bias in play.) That raised you into a more antagonistic stance, and then my "whoa chill out I am not ready to debate this with you at this level" contained another term that apparently is frequently coded with internet white supremacists.

At the end of the day, I was using race only as a go-to analogy for a multifaceted social justice problem with people who are understanding but have differences of opinion on how to solve. I didn't want to even try to play hardball with you on it. Unless any kind skepticism to reparations is equitable to white supremacism in this thread, in which case, well, news to me; I really didn't mean to have this lousy exchange and I'm sorry that I offended you.

Great dude. I'm a third wheel here, but I can see that you're overwhelmed.

Please think for now on the exchange you had. If you want to get a better understanding of things without the missteps that come in an online convo, check out between the world and me by TNC or The New Jim Crowe by Michelle Alexander.

As far as your belief that people who aren't against AA sometimes have good intentions but don't understand... Meditate on the very old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

In my opinion, we need to get everyone moving forward on understanding and learning to not just accept but celebrate our differences as humans. I think the rate we are moving at now is still depressingly slow... BUT I think we can do a lot better in the United States! Please don't get discouraged, please understand that black people have already been through the wringer in these types of conversations and in life in general ad nauseum so we probably will not have an abundance of patience to spare for an Internet stranger, and...

Most importantly, please understand that only one side in all of this is righteous. No matter what happens, please try to help move society towards true equality. This may be my morning smoke over the top pep talk, but I am serious. We can see when a white American is really putting in the effort to help, and we will always respect you for that considering how many white Americans ignore it completely. Thank you for reading all this.

• Locked thread