Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.

I have my California mail-in ballot filled out and sealed in its envelope, but I'm stuck on a farm with my family for the moment so I haven't delivered it yet. Will probably be hitching a ride to do that sometime. This'll be my first time voting, too; while I theoretically could have voted in the 2012 election, college and depression and stuff distracted me.

In the future will probably be voting in person, since I should be moving into Fresno soon hopefully, though I may stick with mail voting then I guess. I don't know. Again, this is my first time, so I don't have a tradition or preference yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Yeah please don't be true. Hillary and the Senate are fine winning on their own. Being true means there exists a trump sex tape. No one wants that.

We know Trump's had sex, though. At least... What, four, five times? How many kids does he have again? And that's assuming he never forced anyone into an abortion like has been speculated, and that none of the rape charges are true. The existence or lack thereof for such a tape wouldn't change this, so I'm not horrified by the potential existence of one.

I sure as hell wouldn't watch it, though.

Also please stop quoting Tashan everyone, she's a terrible racist and says awful transphobic things (and also sexist ones; not sure if she's managed to be homophobic yet but I wouldn't doubt it) while simultaneously using her identity to try to silence any criticism. She really sucks and has no intention of arguing in good faith, and I still stand by my first assessment of her as garbage.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Domestic Amuse posted:

I'd answer in the affirmative, but it looks like I won't hear your rebuttal for the next month or so.

Haha, okay I know I asked people to stop quoting her, but because I have her ignored I missed the probation, so, thanks for the heads up.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

We're alright my goon. Hillary's got this and Senates in a good spot too. Deep breath. Seven days.

Yeah, despite all the "win popular vote but not the election" talk, even Nate's own model shows that as very unlikely. 10% (according to the election forecast) isn't ideal, but it's better odds than Russian Roulette with one bullet, at least, and Nate himself admits that his model is conservative on the chances of Hillary's victory. We're fine. Still need to vote, and any way one can help Hillary or downballot Democrats is definitely worth doing, but things are very likely to work out about as well as they can here. We're fine.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So California's attempting to pressure states with anti-LGBT laws now:

quote:

The state of California isn’t sending any of its employees to North Carolina, Tennessee, or Arkansas, because it’s now against the law to do so.

On Tuesday, Gov. Jerry Brown (D) signed into law AB 1887. It prohibits state agencies and the state legislature from ever requiring any of its employees to ever travel to a state that discriminates against LGBT people. Likewise, the state won’t pay for any travel to such a state. Though several other governors and mayors have imposed similar travel restrictions through executive order on a case-by-case basis, California is the first to pass a standing law with implications for future bills that states might pass.

AB 1887 doesn’t target any specific state, but lays out in detail whether a state will be impacted. Travel is forbidden to any state that has passed a law that explicitly discriminates against LGBT people, or that has passed a law voiding or repealing state or local protections for LGBT people. It requires the Attorney General to maintain a list of the states that would qualify.

More in the link.

Not sure how it'll work out, but, we'll see I guess.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ugh. Stuff like this is why I want Single Transferable Vote or something; it'd be much harder to gerrymander a district that has to elect five-ten representatives, rather than just one. (Also, fairer representation, having IRV built into it, etc.)

Sadly that's a pipe dream for the foreseeable future, so for now we just have to hope Obama's crusade against gerrymandering is successful.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

What is Obama's plan, exactly, to fight gerrymandering? Just go balls-out to make sure 2020 is a Democratic wave, something that's basically impossible to guarantee because wave elections are usually a result of external factors? Court challenges? Grassroots advocacy? I'm hugely skeptical that a tidal shift can be achieved before the next census election, especially if the next 4 years are another 4 years of gridlock.

He's working with Holder and a new group they've formed to do, well, lots of things. Legal challenges, ballot initiatives, and other methods. Plus a lot of fundraising, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

Tim Kaine could not have beaten Trump in a debate and wouldn't have enjoyed a post-debate bump.

Ugh, now I'm imagining Kaine debating Trump, and after his VP debate performance I can't imagine that going well. I mean, Trump would still probably look worse, but it'd have just been an incredibly unpleasant experience all around.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antti posted:

Remember when people, myself included, were worried he might Smiler himself into the nomination? Good, simpler times.

I wish someone would treat Trump the way Spider treated Senator Sweeney in Transmet.

Also now I'm wondering how Thompson would react to the current election if he were still alive. Would it have driven him to kill himself anyway, or would he be attacking the current election in glee and/or rage?

You don't need the "[tweet]" things, just post the URL.

Also wow, I forgot about JJ and what a disingenuous scumbag he is.Thank/gently caress you for reminding me of his existence.

mcmagic posted:

It feels very "Romney binders full of women" to just list a bunch of minorities and women... I'm sure you can guess who I would mention. Pretty much any democrat who is a national elected and doesn't have her negatives.

Wow, this was a gimme question and you still blew it. What the hell, how are you do bad at this?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

FLASH FAVORABILITY POLL

DO YOU SUPPORT MCMAGIC'S POSTING?

[ ]YES
[X]NO

I wish it'd stop.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

Why can't you people deal with dissent in a nuanced, civil way?

"mcmagic, I disagree - I think you're overstating Clinton's unfavourabilities and underestimating her strengths. For example, ..."

Because this discussion has happened multiple times before and everyone is tired of telling mcmagic the same thing again. It's tiresome.

Ze Pollack posted:

As far as 45-48% of Americans are concerned, Hillary Clinton is less deserving of the presidency of the united states than a failed businessman, serial sexual assaulter, and inveterate racist with an attention span no longer than five seconds.

Of the list of options presented, she is the least unpalatable.

Do not confuse this with popularity.

Over half of Hillary's supporters say they're voting for her, rather than against Trump.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

canepazzo posted:

Jesus Christ HuffPo :stare:

Link

I mean, they're not wrong.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

Don't know if this was posted but it seems that our buddy Tashan Dorrsett is getting the FBI involved with investigating his ban:

https://twitter.com/fatgayandsassy/status/793397187984039936

https://twitter.com/fatgayandsassy/status/793444823969607680

Hers, unless you have proof that she was lying about being a trans woman, but wow. What a fucker.

Like I said, garbage.

Edit: Oh hey, we have bigotry for one's sexuality now too; in her posts she only hit racism, sexism, and transphobia, but with Twitter she managed to complete the set. Congrats Tashan, you piece of human refuse.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crain posted:

whoops. My bad.

It's admittedly not surprising a lot of people got it wrong, considering how many misogynistic comments she made and how she used "low-T" as an insult and stuff, but yeah.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am really trying to wrap my head around a transgender person who keeps using gender and sexual normativity as a tool to attack people

It's really odd, yeah. I mean, obviously being a marginalized person doesn't prevent you from being a piece of poo poo, but still. She runs the freaking gamut of terribleness.

Tom Guycot posted:

Holy poo poo, was Tashan Dorrsett former insane poster Tweak all this time? That would explain so much...

No idea who that is, but she did claim to have been here for a decade despite having a regdate of 2015 or so.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, to the transgender community of this thread, is there a precedent for some people within the transgender community still having very traditional ideas of gender roles and sexuality and being kind of lovely about them? Its genuinely surprising to me to see a trans person going around calling people "low testosterone beta cucks" and "50 year old bisexuals" because it seems to me like those would be insults and ideas a trans person would be pretty sensitive about.

I don't mean to put any of you on the spot, but I just am kinda surprised by her. Maybe I am too deep into a virtue of the oppressed fallacy.

Trans people who believe in gender essentialism and biotruths and other bullshit do exist, from what I understand. I don't hang out with any myself I think, and am not really part of many communities in general because until recently I kept my identity stuff low-key, but yeah.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 1, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Non Serviam posted:

Switching gears a bit, does anyone have any theories as to why Assange has it out for Clinton?

I get it that after all this time he might be suffering from cabin fever but he can't honestly think a Trump presidency would give him safe passage out of that embassy.

I'm not sure, but him hating her and him wanting out of the embassy aren't connected; he didn't enter it until after the thing with his rape charges, which was after the Manning leaks. It's just a convenient excuse for him to not acknowledge that he's hiding because he's a rapist and justice would come down on his head hard if he didn't hide there.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

After Hillary wins, the left should co-opt Pepe as a pro-Hillary figure to make a mil off of white men's tears.

People are already trying that, particularly since Pepe's creator came out as anti-Trump and even did a new Pepe comic recently.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Craptacular! posted:

My Mom would rather I vote for Trump than vote for None Of These, because "don't throw your vote away!" :rolleyes:

I feel like Trump is just the Same Ol' poo poo with a celebrity name. I wish he had continued pissing on the Republican establishment and stuck to crazy ideas like "nobody will die sick in the streets" that made Cruz lose his poo poo. Well that and I wish he wasn't a Russian stooge, but oh well~...

I, hm. I'm not sure what to make of this or how to approach it.

Other than, yes, please vote Hillary, or at least explain why you think she's not who you should vote for.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Clinton actually does win the 87+ demographic of olds, possibly because it's the age group of individuals who helped defeat Hitler.

I thought it was because that demographic has women outnumbering men by 2:1 due to women living longer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update on my Bernie-turned-Trump "friend" on Facebook:

quote:

Drain the swamp! Hillary has so many leaks now is ridiculous, Comey would not have sent that letter if he didn't know there was some damning poo poo in those new emails. The emperor has no clothes folks and it's glorious.

Good grief, I thought his Trump support was reluctant, but now he's repeating the dude's lines. The only thing that kept me from unfriending him upon seeing this is the thought of seeing his election day meltdown. After that he's getting the ax though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

So, I get we don't want to believe a poll that goes against our candidate, but it might be that Trump is up by 1 in NV and will sweep in a week and bring 4 years of facist darkness. Sigh, why did the FBI have to be poo poo this year?

Hillary can afford to lose Nevada, but considering that NV has a history of polling redder than it is, and early votes show her crushing it there, I wouldn't bet on her losing Nevada, let alone the election. Please calm down, and look forward to the coming FBI purge.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

WampaLord posted:

Easily, you point at all his bullshit punditry articles. The model itself is just doing it's thing, but there's also an argument to be made that his model bakes in way too much risk of "all the polls are wrong."

Yeah, given that at this point "Trump wins" is practically synonymous with "almost all the polls are wrong", the question of why his model rates the likelihood of catastrophic polling failure at 30% arises.

Also yes, some of his articles are really bad. Heck, he seems to almost be disagreeing with his model in some of them with how much he's hyping up the possibility of a Trump victory and whatnot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lemming posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/02/us/iowa-police-shooting/

Two cops in Iowa ambushed and killed, I'm sure this will be big news

Nevermind

Yahoo's front page had a story on it without anything on the suspect's identity, despite it being known, prior to him being captured, as their top story thing not too long ago.

Went back there now, post-capture, and there's nothing on the killings at all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

spacetoaster posted:

Well then why even set all that up?

Anxiety/panic attack before it actually happened, possibly at least partially as a result of all the death threats being lobbed around and whatnot?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

What do you think the third one is? My money's on something good for children :kimchi:

The complete and utter destruction of the Republican party.

So, we're in agreement, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

I thought that was one of her first two wishes...

:getin:

I think she's smart/pragmatic enough to burn a wish solely on winning the presidency, rather than getting the Republicans to implode in a manner that, say, involves Trump winning and then ruining them or something. You need to be careful with these things.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm not sure I can vote for someone who doesn't use the third wish to free the genie. :ohdear:

Point, but consider what Trump would do with a genie.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

stone cold posted:

Whether or not there's monkey's-paw-like effects depends on the genie, I suppose. If it's like Genie from Aladdin, or I Dream of Jeannie, you might be okay. If it's an rear end in a top hat genie like Norm, then caution is advisable.

Given this being her life goal, I think she'd be cautious regardless.

Anyway, in not-so-happy news, just stumbled across two Bundy-related articles:

The Bundy Clan Is Now Calling for Revolution

U.S. militia girds for trouble as presidential election nears

So, yeah. That's fun.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This amused me.

https://twitter.com/malki/status/794090728880295936

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

This is kind of cute and silly but also dumb because it buys into the implicit assumption that Hillary and the Democrats are equally bad as Republicans but just not in control.

It's not at all serious, is the thing. Like, it's pretty clear to me that it's meant to be a joke, not a serious 1:1 comparison. The biggest butts of jokes are Trump and the Republicans for the most part, anyway, though the Obama joke amused me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stein's numbers are probably going down still, not up, and that poll just has them at 4% because it's a tracking poll that happened to get some hardcore Stein supporters who haven't abandoned her the way most third party supporters will or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

radmonger posted:

They probably ran it past a focus group and realised it was a net positive in contested demographics.

There was a bit of a wobble, but his supporters have come to terms with the fact that they are voting for a corrupt incompetent Putin stooge who boasts about sexual assault. From that baseline, any lesser story is a change in an upwards direction.

Short of proof of child rape, Trump is now scandal-proof. !Hilarry's only defence is she hasn't done anything, which is pretty weak sauce. In a partisan age, it does nothing to stop anyone saying she did.

Yeah, I had another Facebook argument with the Bernie-to-Trump guy, and his argument eventually boiled down to saying "Look at all these scandals and emails! There has to be something there, she's totally corrupt," versus me saying "Prove it; 'where there's smoke there's fire' isn't a good argument when she's had enemies trying to smear her for longer than I've been alive." He never provided proof but likewise wasn't convinced by either my pointing out that most of the "scandals" are really nothing nor that Trump is provably corrupt, so about the only thing accomplished there was me putting up long pro-Hillary arguments my relatives may stumble upon if I don't preemptively block them or something for a while.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

If only other viable candidates had run and the party hadn't cleared the deck for her by May of 2014.

Yeah, see, I like Bernie and all, but this is a terrible argument. You're effectively saying a minority of the primary voters should have decided the nominee, thanks to things being split so many ways no one could get a majority. Besides that being how you get Trump, that's not very democratic. Hillary won with >50% of the vote, and in a democracy that's hard to argue with. Maybe you could say something like "well if we had IRV then Bernie would have gotten more support, as the people who said things like 'Well I like Bernie but I want to be safe so I voted Hillary' would have put him as their 1 option and then Hillary 2" or whatever, but even that is a huge stretch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SunAndSpring posted:

Bernie's more valuable for his role in prodding Hillary to take positions she normally would not have taken, and hopefully will do a good job in bringing up a new generation of more progressive Democrats.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, how the primary and convention and all that eventually shook out has me now wanting to register as a Democrat in the future instead of independent (likely wouldn't have changed my voting patterns at all, I just had multiple grievances with the Democrats as a party) and get involved in politics personally. I want to see things get even more progressive going forward.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Failboattootoot posted:

If I had to take a random guess (and point at something other than racism) I would blame it all on the just world fallacy being the bedrock for a whole lot of what white america buys into and admitting that our systems are inherently unjust undermines the whole thing.

I think it's at least partly how we're taught about racism in school and media and stuff as well. Like, I remember learning that it's bad, and learning of examples of it, but they were all things like slurs or open discrimination, and while it didn't teach me that racism didn't exist anymore (I remember chastising my grandparents and other relatives for saying racist things back when my age was in the single digits even) I had no knowledge of the many, considerably more subtle and insidious ways it takes shape.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Even if the Democrat was never seen in public without Big Iron on his hip, gun people would think it was just a trick. Decades of gun control advocacy from Democrats and the main thing it's accomplished is permanently losing them a group of single issue voters.

I don't know, Kander seems to be doing alright for himself as a pro-gun-ish Democrat in Missouri, at least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
FFIX was the best, and man it deserved a nicer "remake" than it got. Too bad all the original backgrounds were lost.

VI is good too though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

OxySnake posted:

Unless your that red haired person who gets literally no development what so ever. Or Quina.

Quina just being there is one of the most hilarious aspects of the game in retrospect. Like, the game barely pretends to justify their showing up at some points; I think at one point Quina supposedly swam across an ocean or something to get back to the team after being left behind? Given how ridiculous the character is, it's kind of fitting really; they just happen to always be around and want to eat things.

Amarant did admittedly get shafted though; there was some subtle character development with him but he came in late and got so little focus.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know people don't count the MMOs, but I'd put XIV up there as well really. It's by far my favorite MMO I've ever played. I want to play it again, but money is an issue and my connection not being spectacular where I currently live made keeping up as my guild got into the endgame stuff (for when I played, which was the first few months of ARR; it's almost exactly three years since I last played I think) nigh-impossible. Hopefully both of these things will be solved soon though, what with me hopefully moving.

Also my mom let someone borrow my copy of Xenogears and they lost it, so I never finished that. I was in the desert before that happened, I think.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

gfsincere posted:

I actually used to listen to Free Talk Live a lot, and thought it was a good idea back in my early 20s, but then I wandered onto their forums and HOLY poo poo it was a cesspool of outright racism and sharing of stormfront links unironically.

So nope gently caress that.

Late teens/early twenties seems to be the time a lot of liberal people flirt with libertarianism, having heard nice things about the ideals and being anti-establishment and whatnot, before they learn how it doesn't work and how racist libertarians tend to be and whatnot and they flee in horror and/or look back with shame, depending on how active with it they were/are. I've seen multiple people here tell stories like that and have one along those lines of my own.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It was honestly probably the most pleasant discussion one of these threads has had in a while, despite considerable disagreement, really.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Okay well if you guys can go off-topic I can too, because I don't want to wait around all day for somebody to say something I can pretend this is a relevant response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOacUWjHgiE

:allears: White People

I have no objections to this.

This post, I mean. What happens in the video, well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, after being filled out over two weeks ago (I'm stuck on a farm and can't drive), my ballot is finally in the mail. +1 to Hillary and Harris and so on here in California.

Lemming posted:

Lol if you buy your own avatars

I have the GC thread to thank for mine.

Covok posted:

What's an anti-villain?

An anti-hero, except on the villain side. So, not what the post you were quoting implied; it's more of a villain who's sympathetic or even basically a good person except they're opposing the hero(es), as opposed to a hero who's a dick, "darker"/edgier, or pretty much an evil person who we happen to be following.

• Locked thread