Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's a real good OP, Comrade. I voted like a week ago so I am extremely ready for the election to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Reposting a neat thing I found about how the handoff of all the POTUS social media accounts will work.

Digital Transition

quote:

On Twitter, for example, the handle @POTUS will be made available to the 45th President of the United States on January 20, 2017. The account will retain its more than 11 million followers, but start with no tweets on the timeline. @POTUS44, a newly created handle maintained by NARA, will contain all of President Obama’s tweets and will be accessible to the public on Twitter as an archive of President Obama’s use of the account. In addition, President Obama’s tweets will also be archived at NARA, where they will be preserved and accessible in the same manner as all other Presidential records. This will also be the case for other Twitter handles, including @WhiteHouse, @FLOTUS, @PressSec, and @VP. Individual official accounts, like @KS44, will transition to NARA and continue to be accessible for the public to view as an archive of all tweets sent by White House staff.

On Instagram and Facebook, the incoming White House will gain access to the White House username, URL, and retain the followers, but will start with no content on the timeline. An archive of White House content that was posted to the Obama White House Instagram and Facebook will continue to be accessible to the public at Instagram.com/ObamaWhiteHouse and Facebook.com/ObamaWhiteHouse. Facebook accounts for President Obama and the Vice President and the Instagram accounts belonging to the First Lady and Vice President will be moved to new “44” usernames and preserved by NARA.

We’ll follow a similar approach with other official accounts on platforms including Medium, Tumblr, and YouTube. These presences will be made available to the 45th White House, including the “White House” username, /WhiteHouse URL, and the followers, but start with no content on the accounts. The Obama White House content will be preserved and accessible in the same manner as all other presidential records and continue to be available on the platform at a new URL.

And this immortal moment in time:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobsterhead posted:

Hillary's coming to Phoenix on Wednesday for an early vote rally. I kind of want to go but it's out of my way and I have schoolwork/studying. Is this something that would be worth getting off my lazy rear end for?

And if I do go, is it better to arrive to such events really early? Doors open at 3:30 but it doesn't start til 6:30.

Do it, you might regret missing the chance. I'd go early, there's a good chance they'll hit capacity and start turning people away.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Well there's some November oppo I never imagined.

:stare::hf::stare:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trump Tower posted:

Although she’d lately added blonde mesh highlights to her dark hair, her big, hazel eyes were the same as when they helped to make her famous, and her high cheekbones were the same, and her legs were the same but, as Belasco had already discovered — being two or three pounds heavier than she’d been as a teenager — she now had absolutely gorgeous breasts.

The gently caress are mesh highlights. And two or three pounds gained since high school, what a hag.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trump Tower posted:

Jaquim pulled a photo out of his pocket and showed it to David. “Seven kilos already. That’s the clothes you and Mrs. Cove bought for him. He like a lot.” “Seven kilos. Good.” David had no idea if that was good or not, but he knew he had to say something nice. Jaquim pointed to his chest and nodded, “He like his mama’s titties a lot.”

This book is in metric for some reason.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 1, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

Thank you, even my teenage self could go on google and figure that out pre-2010.

I don't know. I can't sleep so I'm on here. I just feel like there is a subset of people who literally cannot accept any criticism of Hillary. I'll be the first to say Jill Stein probably burns sage smudges or whatever. I just worry that this will continue after she is elected and people will be afraid to make any sort of attempt to hold her feet to the fire over the inevitable bad ideas she comes up with.

Such as, no fly zone over Syria. Bad enough on it's own, but the news of John Podesta telling gulf staters Hillary will take action against Iran and the US finally admitting Iran backs the Houthis coming on the same exact day really puts fear into me. My girl's parents are both Iranians that came over as refugees during the 79 revolution... I constantly have to assuage their fears of action against Iran and it has become increasingly harder to do as Hillary has come closer to the presidency.

Not saying Trump would be any better! Before anyone gets that idea. He'd be worse.

You are worried an American president won't be criticized enough.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

Oh, Hillary will get more than what could ever be considered humane or fair just for being a woman. I just worry no one will speak up if she decides to nix our trust building with Iran cuz the Houthis (rightfully, imo) hate Saudi Arabia. I also hear from my mother about her March speech in Harlem where she promised social justice for black Americans will be the top mission of her presidency, something she seemingly doesn't care to talk about much anymore.

Her presidency hasn't even started yet man. What was your hero Jill Stein going to do for our community? Give all the cops measles?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

I guess what you make of this video depends on how much you think John Podesta can accurately describe Hillary's plans to people, but here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8q_g66DU8&t=98s

Even just her admitted plan to install a no fly zone over Syria is extremely alarming to me. Who is flying over Syria? The US, Iran, and Russia as we take turns bombing ISIS... so, idk.

Nice tuck and roll with the goalpost there but you and I were pretty clearly talking about Hillary, Stein, and social justice for the black community.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Look I wanted to see Vice President Latino as much as the next person, but he's simply too indispensable in his service as Politician of State. Maybe if Asian fails in her bid for Mayor of City we can move her over to State Capital and Latino can move up to the big show.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Jesus I'm not sure I can do eight solid years of people raging against the concept of incremental progress.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

I won't be one of those people, I'm not raging. I just find it fascinating that Hillary is flawless/her flaws are inconsequential to so many people. Maybe we should've picked her over Obama in 2008, considering we are getting killed in the streets and not much has changed.

There are extremely substantial differences between what Campaign Zero outlines and what Hillary has outlined. Campaign detail actually outlines specifics, as well. Don't make it out like I'm unsatisfied over a name drop, that's hosed.

An example would be ending the police seizure of people's property. I live in the Bronx. Do you know how many bodegas get raided and have all their poo poo stolen by the police without reason?

Well man, if you're not raging people aren't calling Hillary flawless either. Do you really need to do the bad relationship "I just think it's funny how..." distancing from your own opinions to come out with them? We're in the last week of the election, the stakes are high, and her presidency hasn't even started yet. Forgive us if no one feels like arguing policy with someone who hasn't even read up on what Hillary's policies are for her presidency she hasn't even won yet.

And you're doing the frustratingly common layman politics thing of thinking everything we do in this country goes through the executive branch. Police seizure is a big thing, but the president doesn't have jack poo poo to do with it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

Well I did have some posters excuse her for saying the rise of autism might be linked to vaccines which amazed me. It's not funny, it's just anxiety inducing.
The gently caress? You've been defending Jill Stein.

Mixodorian posted:

e: thanks for the actual serious responses though.
And piss off with this smarmy bullshit.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harik posted:

Please, don't use the t-word. You're clearly more comfortable with being called a toaster so you should stick with that.

I must admit, though, that I have a hard time believing your gender identity is real when you are so clearly just using it as a club to support comparing people to inanimate objects. I mean, maybe you are transexual AND an rear end in a top hat, but I'm more willing to believe you're just the latter.

Please please please don't quote this loving rear end in a top hat and ruin this brand new thread.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Harik posted:

I won't be any more, I just felt it was important to get that link out there so anyone who didn't know who this guy was could catch up before taking the bait this time around.

Did you catch my reply about the president and asset forfeiture?

Just scrolled back and found it, sorry I missed it. You make good points, but it's still more of a legislature thing than an executive branch thing. We really overestimate what the president can personally effect, especially in election years.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

Actually, white supremacy is literally one of the the Worst Things Ever, cf. Holocaust

Hi guy who only posts to let the thread know he's better than everyone. Could you please not quote the crazy racist rear end in a top hat who's only here to poo poo up the thread and eat attention for food?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Queen Gnome posted:

It's almost as if there might be more at play here! Like education and poverty! (Correlation=/=causation and I can't believe I have to remind you of that on D&D).

The person you are responding to is mentally ill and/or a troll and will never, ever stop. They seriously pulled this poo poo for hours yesterday. Please don't encourage them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See everybody, that's who you sound like when you say "blacks" instead of "black people."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WeAreTheRomans posted:

:respek:

The ignore button makes baiting impossible

And if that doesn't work just read your bible until the urges subside

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Man for all his faults it just really hit me that Trump's the only GOP candidate I can remember who didn't run on All Jesus All the Time. I wonder if that will ever happen again.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

edrith posted:

The problem is that Twitter quite often doesn't do anything about not just grey-area cases but straight up rape and death threats.

I'm sure given the number of reports going through every day and the number of users out there, it's hard to keep up, but Twitter very rarely responds to any harassment, ever. Milo only got the axe because he was gleefully and publicly leading a concentrated campaign.

I know several people who have reported rape threats to Twitter and the police: Twitter would say it didn't violate guidelines, and the police would say "What's Twitter?"
This is true, I got my credit card number stolen once and the online store the thief used needed a police report to reverse the charges. It led to a very frustrating day of me on the phone with the police explaining that no, I didn't know the address where the crime was committed, because it happened on the internet. Yes the INTERNET. (sigh) ...I, N, T-

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think there would have to be a runoff election between you and TB, unless you're on the same ticket.

I'll be vice-mod. I've always aspired to live my life more like Joe Biden.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh boy my ignore list is sure posting a lot right now, I'm sure this is good.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"I'm so concerned Trump will win. I wish everyone was as principled as me" he said, as he finished typing up his screed about The Blacks

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That's racist against white people. Jeez keep up.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

It's not that, it's just that it sounds demeaning for whatever reason. Which is fine, it doesn't have to have perfect logic to be rude.

It is in fact that, guy who is also on my ignore list. Metonymy is dehumanizing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Non Serviam posted:

Haha, no, I'm not from the left.

Okay let me get this straight. You're a (non-American ?) right winger, reactionary as gently caress about race issues (and sexism I'm pretty sure too but I don't remember clearly and I don't feel like wading through the reek of your post history to find specifics), but you're so giddy that Trump has managed to be a worse person than even you that you just can't keep yourself from letting the politics thread know how good and right-thinking you are about Trump on every page, only people are frequently practicing human decency in here which Cannot Stand, so you keep interrupting your own self-congratulation to melt down about it.

Surely even you could find a better use of your time than that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Trash fire finds common purpose with second, smaller trash fire.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"I Voted Against Trump Therefore How Dare You Impugn My Progressivism" says every white moderate for the next 20 years

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's too late to matter now, but I'd have liked to see more reporting about how much Team Trump utterly fails at retail politics. You have Trump himself attacking his own supporters like the whole debacle with the fire department, Suckerfish Trump stealing lemonade, and a million little un-aggregated stories of Trump being just incessantly, reflexively rude to everyone he encounters. Even Bush Jr. had an undeniable charisma in person - you could totally understand how he charmed people on a 1:1 basis and overrode their critical thinking. Trump doesn't have that skill. Everyone who's ever had to deal with him face to face hates him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bhaal posted:

I was wondering, what methods do people here use to go through the local election parts of their ballot?

Like, not senators and props and stuff but stuff like the huge list of superior court judges and random offices like Chief Dog Catcher. Actually I guess the judges part is the one I'm most curious about, because the best I can do to get any info beyond just a list of names is to look them up on Ballotpedia, but just about every time it's a minimal CV highlighting places and dates of the person's career which is pretty opaque. The most I could get is stuff like "oh this judge was appointed by a past governor I hated" but that doesn't feel like a really strong yard stick.

Is there some place online that can highlight big rulings they had or other things like that. Where one could draw conclusions like "they throw the book at drug offenders no matter how minor the infraction" or "they tend to rule against employers in discrimination suits".

Otherwise I feel like I'm reading tea leaves and/or straight up choosing people based on what I think about their name.

I already early-voted in California and this part of the ballot took the most research by far. The judges all had identical personal statements about how they believed in fairness, which is nice and all but I really want to know about things like how they feel about minimum sentencing, punitive vs. rehabilitative justice, trying minors as adults, and how cozy they are with the cops and the DAs. I don't know that I made perfect choices. The most useful info I found was their list of endorsements - Policeman's Union = No Thanks, for instance.

What state do you live in? We might be able to find some online resources.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crows Turn Off posted:

Trump's sexual assault history is vast, detailed, ever-expanding, with lots of witnesses and victims, and has been in the news pretty consistently for a month.

And it hasn't been hurting his polls at all.

Yes it has, the bus video was a big hit in his polling. It's just that the decision voters are making isn't "Trump or Clinton?" it's "Trump or No One?" or "Clinton or No One?" and people who are likely voters are likely to, well, vote.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crain posted:

Yo. Non Serviam.

A double triple gently caress you.

And I'm posting this poo poo.

Hahaha I'm sorry you felt attacked.

This guy's a valuable member of the community but don't let a black poster use an exclamation point by god

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aerox posted:

I work law-adjacent in Los Angeles and have dealt with, on both sides, the DOJ (for the most part, good!) and the local LA DA's office (often terrible!) so I don't know if this applies to you at all but basically for the judicial stuff, the process my colleagues and I use if we don't know the candidates is:

Vote for whichever one isn't a prosecutor
If they're both prosecutors, vote for the female or non-white male (the judiciary and justice system would DRAMATICALLY benefit from more women and people of color)
If they're both white male prosecutors, vote for the one whose department sounds the least bad (a "child sexual crimes" prosecutor is probably a better choice than the "VIOLENT GANG PROSECUTOR")
If by some insane miracle neither person running is a prosecutor, look into their law firms and see what kind of law they do and vote based on that (this almost never happens)

Yeah! That's pretty much what I did, thanks for affirming my instincts there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

am I on your ignore list :ohdear:

Perish the thought :glomp:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey I see someone changed Non Serviam's avatar away from that poor guy who always gets used. IIRC that's an activist who definitely doesn't deserve to be drawn into our nerdfights.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Avatar Man is John Franklin Stephens, an anti-ableism activist affiliated with the Special Olympics who wrote this letter to Ann Coulter after her "doing a standard retard" gem dropped.

The avatar image is cropped from this shot of him addressing a crowd of people as he often does in his role as a Special Olympics Global Messenger.

He's done more good in the world than nearly anyone posting here, and abusing a photo of him taken on a day he was rightfully happy and proud is a special kind of cruel that should not be tolerated here.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Yea, thanks for this, it made me pony up the 5 bucks to fix my poo poo.

I'm sorry that you had to :(

I have avs off so I'm always paranoia-clicking my own profile to make sure no one's absconded with my tiny dino

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nope.

To white nationalists she is the literal anti-christ.

Like i don't think you realize how much more visceral hatred is out there for Clinton vs Obama on the far right.

Barbara Mertz has a bit in one of her excellent Egyptology books (either Red Land, Black Land or Temples, Tombs, and Heiroglyphs - read them both) about how the modern scholar tends to reflexively revise any mentions an ancient Egyptian makes about believing in magic. "They couldn't possibly have meant literal magic spells. They're so sophisticated and smart." But people did then and people do now believe in literal demons. People capable of driving cars and operating twitter accounts are still entirely possibly as sincere in their belief that the world is riddled with magic as anyone in the past.

Not to contradict you but to underline what you're saying: Sometimes people calling Hillary a devil don't just mean they hate her, they mean they think she's an actual devil.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, and I'm not saying we shouldn't be aware of it. I'm saying I think white guilt is a way for white people to make the suffering of others actually be about them, and that we would have a moral duty to help people regardless of whether we benefited from it.

White guilt is an inevitable and harmless step on the journey of learning about privilege and intersectionality. If someone never progresses farther than that that's a problem, but I don't like to condemn it particularly because it's a pretty much unavoidable reaction any decent person would have when learning history from anything but a white dude perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Regarding Non Serviam's whole "if you're ~A Black~ I'm sorry but if you're not, shut up" thing - it's an enormous relief when I see someone besides me and the other black Leper's Colony regulars pipe up about racism, and I notice and appreciate that over the past few months more and more people have felt comfortable jumping in and being good allies. It means a lot, thank you all.

• Locked thread