Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Just filled out my ballot :coal:

Voted for some tracks on tracks on tracks (of rail line extension :unsmith:)

The thread title ‼️‼️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

It's not that we can't accept criticism of her, it's that to discard competence, pragmatism, a life of public service, and any number of other factors as totally meaningless to one's suitability for presidency in favor of strict ideological dogmatism is utter horseshit. You're just going full Norquist.

You have an utterly skewed view of the functioning of politics if you expect that kind of ideological adherence to ever deliver political goods effectively. I think Jill Stein would absolutely have produced more real net suffering in the world as sec-state (the only position Hillary has held with the kind of unilateral accountability and authority you attribute to her), all else equal, than :abuela:. Different people might suffer, yes, and you might have an easier time believing that their suffering is the inevitable will of the world, but the burden of proof is absolutely on you to demonstrate how Stein would have even kept up with the paperwork, given her total lack of applicable government experience (300-vote council seat lol).

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 1, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yeah unless you think any decision to vote for her is saying she's flawless full-stop I do not think there is a single person saying that? Laughably preferable to any available alternative != flawless by any means.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

themrguy posted:

"You guys keep arguing against drinking the bleach, no-one is making a case for the orange juice."

I would say that right now Mixodorian is a man apoplectically scrabbling to get the child safety cap off the Draino because he wanted no-pulp but the store only had low-pulp, actually.

Oh lord the trumpen-polenta showed back up

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 1, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate, posters telling you that looking in from outside as a eurokid circa 2003 your grasp of the US media environment and internal political pressures is not in fact an unimpeachable reflection of soberly-derived consideration that any US pol could have been reasonably held to, is not unconditional criticism, or an attack. It is a very specific explanation of why you were wrong on that count.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Interesting profile of the landscape architect of Trump's Jersey golf club, which cheeto benito is such a fan of he chose as his burial plot, in the Oct. 24 New Yorker that I didn't see mentioned--the guy was, naturally, not a landscape architect at all, but a 24-year-old law student working a $7.50-an-hour tree-cutting summer gig when Trump fired his boss and the new guy essentially went "You! Landscape guy! Get to work!" He went home that night, googled 'French formal gardens,' and ended up just deciding to Versailles the whole place up.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate posted:

I had heard on some crazy MRA site IIRC? it was this amazing feminist masterpiece. I only saw like the first 15 minutes or so?

Hah for the benefit of the thread I just checked and the 15 minute mark of Fury Road is Nux's introduction scene, hearing the war drums and headbutting Slit.

:mediocre:, cingulate, :mediocre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fLazkWCgE

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Before I finally quit reddit in disgust about 2 years ago a not uncommon accusation leveled against 'the fempire' (/r/shit_reddit_says and associated subreddits) was that they were SomethingAwful plants :v:

It was usually a part of that whole thing where reactionaries find the idea of empathy so genuinely incomprehensible that anyone advocating for it must actually just be spouting disingenuous pablum as cover for sinister motives.

e: or lust for cantaloupe-calved swarthy foreigners but definitely one of those two

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Young Hegelian posted:

I was looking up Iceland the other day. If we had the same ratio we'd have 60k legislators.

Iceland is kind of a special case considering that more people work for Target in the US than live there.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

a shameful boehner posted:

Has anyone read Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam? I constantly think about his case in light of the ouroborous of self-reinforcing self-selected media exposure contributing to the decline in civic participation.

For what its worth, i regularly listen to conservative talk radio both local here in CO and nationally syndicated poo poo like Levin and Limbaugh just so I can hear what the "other side" thinks.

It can be very, very difficult and is always depressing. But it is important.

last I heard Putnam occupied basically the same intellectual space as Huntington and Fukuyama. Assign undergrads to read him to understand what informed his views but lol if you uptake any of that nonsense and base policy off it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

CascadeBeta posted:

My problem is that I can't stand any veggies. Like they all taste like total garbage to me. I can coat them or cook them or whatever but they're still the poo poo I can't stand at the core. I'm not kidding about my pallette age being pathetic.

Jesus nothing is going on today, huh?

Diet is interesting.

I actually kind of wonder if you could just free-associate and list the top 5 or so things that pop into mind when you think 'vegetables.' Like if you're in the grocery, and you feel that twang of 'god I gotta start eating better' and wander over to the produce, what would you grab first? Attempt to make?

This is 100% anecdotal from someone who has recently gone through a similar phase of deciding that my palate is embarrassing and trying to expand borders but I had a huge unquestioned Brassica bias and that's deffo a strong, pervasive flavor that you have to mostly cook around, not through. But a huge amount of veggies are... well, I don't want to say bland, but much more neutral flavors? Make a frittata with 60% zucchini 40% egg and you're not going to taste the zucchini, is what I'm saying.

Also it's hard to go wrong with stir fry.

vvv Holy poo poo Roman slavery is so completely different (and, I think, vastly preferable to, though I'm no classicist) either form of modern slavery you mention, how are you straight-facedly making the comparison :psyduck:

Like, cingulate, I know you're not a bad-faith poster, but holy poo poo have you yet to internalize that the life experiences and mental faculties of a German statistician are not the unimpeachable peak of neutral informed critical thinking, particularly w/r/t race, US history, and contemporary English usage

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 4, 2016

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, to you I mostly wanted to say that I don't mean to say it's not a bumpy road. We had Nazi rule, WW2 and the holocaust just in the last century. Only the long-term trend is good, not all short-term trends.

Reading any cohesive systemic trend at all into the vast set of unique circumstances and developments, random happenstance, tragedy, farce, etc. that comprise history is the main fallacy being attacked, yes. 'Progress' is a short-term trend; it was invented by Euros fellating themselves in the Enlightenment.

Don't take this as me denying that vast advances have been made in the material prosperity of the top half of the global population, or that the codification of human rights into international politics mores, or feminism, or electricity, or whatever else exist and benefit people, that's not under contention. It's believing that they happened as part of some grand inexorable sweep of the historical sundial from BAD to GOOD. All that poo poo took work; all that poo poo continues to take work; and it's literally only going to last as long as dominant political forces a) value universal human rights, human welfare and freedoms etc. as goods and b) can deliver, which as recent times have shown is by no means unassailable or irreversible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate posted:

Well, as I said:

But are you saying that this is where the moral outrage (don't mean to use the term to belittle anyone, it's just the best words I can think of) comes from - that if I had said the above more, and earlier, it would have not been as controversial, morally speaking?

I'm not wondering about people who think I'm empirically wrong, but about those who think I'm stating something morally abhorrent.

Oh, it's no more abhorrently wrong than whatever agenda it gets used to push (for probably the vast majority of white people, you and I included, a better world is a whiter world at some unconscious 'yes, this jibes with my gut' way, and progress narratives have made it easy for e.g. Communist regimes to paper over liquidating the undesirables). It's just an impressively unhelpful narrative and whenever someone parrots it online a historian sighs and knocks back a shot of something foul.

e: Here's a good example. There's a massive mural, painted in 1995, by an artist who was really prolific in the space art scene. Picture books about space exploration, posters, prints, that sort of thing, NASA commissioned a bunch of official portraits and stuff from him. You've probably seen his work. This mural goes all the way from abiogenesis and cell division on the left through evolution and civilization and then space exploration and utopia. The centerpiece is portraits of luminary figures of science and discovery floating, beneficent, around a Voyager-plaque style depiction of a full family group of Homo Sapiens: young Matthew McConaughey father, Kate Upton mother, little tow-headed kids. Among Newton, da Vinci, Crick and Watson, Einstein, Magellan, the only non-Europeans (in the entire 6x10 mural in fact) were MLK and Qin Shi Huan.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread