Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Oh man, the "But WiFi might actually be bad, you guys" Stein defender escaped their dogpile by the bell.

Appreciate the thread title, I've been hoping that's what this clusterfuck would end on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Hopefully they come back like measles did. Except without the suffering.

Oh please, after a narrow escape like that who woul

Mixodorian posted:

I had a fully quoted and well organized post ready in the last thread, but you can't fight the calendar. To make it brief to the several people who didn't want to hear what I was saying.

-I realize I got dogpiled specifically for the wifi, and I rolled my eyes when I heard Jill Stein say what she did about wi-fi. I am more of a person who would want proof there is harm instead of giving equal weight to "maybe it's harmful, maybe it's not", but the health implications of wi-fi are still not well known enough to conclusively say it is safe or it is not safe (for children, in this example).

On top of that, it is such a small grievance to have with a politician. Beyond voting for the Iraq War with Dick Cheney as VP, Hillary also completely ignored stop and frisk while she was senator which is irksome to me as a black New Yorker who did go to jail for possessing buds, as well as her trying to make flag burning illegal. Those are far, far more odious to me than being afraid the babies will get sick off the wi-fi.

I got asked if I was worried about fluoride and cell phone signals and no, I'm not. There is irrefutable evidence about the safety of both. There is not the same for wi-fi, as the lengthy research from last year I linked to shows.

All of you further proved my point. Hillary is who we need to go with for our next president, it's too late to change that. It isn't even a question to me.

I just have my problems with people not wanting to hear someone who keeps up with politics say they'd prefer Jill Stein. She throws a bone to the nutty constituents of the green party...

... but I'll be frank. That type of thing doesn't bother me. My people were subject to the Tuskgee experiments in the not too distant past.

I mean, just a quick recap of what John Oliver brought up:
* Print money to cancel all student debt.
* Should the UK stay or should it go? Stein can't decide.
* Vaccine truther
* 9/11 Truther
* Wifi truther

Adding a dealbreaker from her AmA on reddit:
* Anti-nuclear power.

That last one is so mind-bogglingly stupid from the loving GREEN PARTY because unless you want to power the world on magic unicorn farts something has to burn. We can't realistically add Hydro (plus it's an environmental mess of it's own), we're already building on the best wind sites, industrial solar is a very regional thing and personal solar is extremely problematic when you consider environmental cost of production vs miniscule savings one home at a time. Atoms, coal or oil. Pick what you want to burn.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Do it, you might regret missing the chance. I'd go early, there's a good chance they'll hit capacity and start turning people away.

Agreed. I've missed a few near me (I live in central FL, so everyone keeps showing up. I just missed Obama a few days ago) and I regret it. Stay up a bit late that night to catch up on schoolwork, you can go to bed early the next day.

I did get to see one of the first Obama/Bill Clinton joint events in '08, so that was good.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

HookedOnChthonics posted:

You're just going full Norquist.

Hey now, that's a hefty charge. Are you sure he's a vaping lifestyler?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Mixodorian posted:

Oh, Hillary will get more than what could ever be considered humane or fair just for being a woman. I just worry no one will speak up if she decides to nix our trust building with Iran cuz the Houthis (rightfully, imo) hate Saudi Arabia.

Mmm yes, Hillary is known for only considering two options: Ignoring a situation or bringing the full might of the US military to bear on it. Certainly the first thing she'll do on January 21st is to launch a pre-emptive strike on Iran.

After all, there's absolutely no other tools that could be used on the situation in Yemen: As Romney said, we've downsized or navy to the point that it's impossible to interdict arms shipments going into the country, so we're left with invading and destabilizing Iran in order to ... something something never quite explained ... a proxy war.

Where do you get this stuff?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Mixodorian posted:

Even just her admitted plan to install a no fly zone over Syria is extremely alarming to me. Who is flying over Syria? The US, Iran, and Russia as we take turns bombing ISIS... so, idk.

edit: woah I just saw that dig you added in. Yeah she could give them measles maybe. Or maybe she's try to implement parts of Campaign Zero which she supports. Either way, better than Hillary's plan of giving federal training guidelines and not much else and just hoping the cops stop killing black people because they're afraid of too much melanin in one person.

Hey missed this on the last page. So much to unpack:

Iran isn't bombing anyone. They're not even flying over Syria. They've sent military GROUND support both directly and via hezbollah, but they have no air presense.
The US is flying over Syria to bomb ISIS, and that won't stop.
Assad is flying over Syria, dropping barrel bombs on civilians.
Russia is flying over Syria, dropping real bombs on basically everyone except ISIS.

As for your edit, it's a damned shame that Hillary hasn't taken any stand on police violence against unarmed minorities. I wish she would suggest something like national use of force guidelines instead of it being a department-by-department thing. Maybe she could publically acknowledge that implicit bias still exists and pledge $1bn in her first budget towards both training and finding ways to combat it. Personally, I'd put a priority on de-escalation, but I'm not Hillary so who knows what she'd do? The president has the power - in the DoJ "Pattern or Practice" unit, to monitor civil rights violations, if only she'd commit to strengthening that. Even something as simple as actually gathering statistics on these kinds of incidents would be a start. I guess we'll just have to look to a different candidate for that.

edit: Ya'll copy & paste is lazy. Slow down your posting and take some time to savor the beatdown.

Harik fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 1, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Mixodorian posted:

A brother got shot in North Carolina and the police chief decided not to release body cam footage. Unless we can have the DOJ get in on every case where a non violent black person is killed, body cameras and federal guidelines are not nearly enough.

North Carolina's law that keeps the footage locked up is brand new. I would guess, based on her actual known policies on this, is that she's Not Cool with that and would direct the DoJ to look into ways to undo it. That's just a guess on my part, but again, this just loving happened and it's not like Hillary came up with her policies on racial justice yesterday.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

And this thread is off to a great start with this pair of amazing posts.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

And you're doing the frustratingly common layman politics thing of thinking everything we do in this country goes through the executive branch. Police seizure is a big thing, but the president doesn't have jack poo poo to do with it.

That's... not entirely true. The easiest seizure laws are federal, and have to be done by the feds. There's a kickback scheme to the local department that brings it to their attention. As such, all the civil forfeiture that runs through the DoJ could be shut down by the president in a number of ways - asking them to de-prioritize, to demand more evidence before going to trial, or just to look for racial bias in the incoming cases before going forward with them.

I don't think the president can directly block the kickback scheme, since that's via the 1984 Comprehensive Crime Control Act.

The president does have some options here, but there's the ~optics~ of not being Tough On (minority) Crime.

I might be wrong about this, and I expect one of our resident lawgoons will blast me for it if I am, but that's my understanding of the current CAF arrangements.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

"please guys don't bash the tranny this time so we don't look like a bunch of hypocrite bigots ready to lash out at any moment"

Please, don't use the t-word. You're clearly more comfortable with being called a toaster so you should stick with that.

I must admit, though, that I have a hard time believing your gender identity is real when you are so clearly just using it as a club to support comparing people to inanimate objects. I mean, maybe you are transexual AND an rear end in a top hat, but I'm more willing to believe you're just the latter.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Please please please don't quote this loving rear end in a top hat and ruin this brand new thread.

I won't be any more, I just felt it was important to get that link out there so anyone who didn't know who this guy was could catch up before taking the bait this time around.

Did you catch my reply about the president and asset forfeiture?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Yes, and after you control for income?

Just scrolled back and found it, sorry I missed it. You make good points, but it's still more of a legislature thing than an executive branch thing. We really overestimate what the president can personally effect, especially in election years.

Absolutely. My only point was that if the legislature are spending 16 years stalling any legislative changes, there are some levers the President can still pull. With the unpopularity of CAF in general, the states that rely on the Federal kickbacks probably couldn't pass state-level replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

TLM3101 posted:

In order:

Never in a million years.

I don't know, it's his last possible chance for an Emmy, maybe he'd give a concession speech just to spite John.

• Locked thread