Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw3yidwGchk

A cancer is eating away at America: the cancer of racism, bigotry and white nationalism. As this cancer consumed the previous USPOL, so it shall begin to consume this one. Fortunately, we are only days away from either curing it, or seeing it metastasize out of control.

Oh who are we kidding, it’s going to kill us whether we vote Hillary or not. Better buckle up and strap in tight to your front-row seat to watch as the whole nation self-destructs in an orgy of violence and bloodshed. This is USPOL November 2016: Trump Death Rally Edition

(by Tony Cliff)

Some Ground Rules

Because you guys don’t read the OP, I’m just going to do due diligence and post some of this stuff here, because it’s going to be important over the next few days:

• Don’t post pictures of your ballot unless you live in an orange state. It’s illegal.
  • Don’t start an election day thread. You should probably take election chat to C-SPAM. (This one comes direct from the mods.)
  • Please don’t use “the blacks" when referring to African Americans and other individuals of African descent. It can come off as callous and insensitive thanks to its racially-tinged history. “Black people" is better (especially if you're talking about members of the African diaspora outside the US).
  • And don’t even think about using “Chinamen,” because apparently there are still people who use this unironically. :wtc:
  • Do drink responsibly. While a Republican-held Senate is pretty bad, you don’t need to get cirrhosis of the liver because of it. After all, where will you go once Obamacare is repealed once and for all? No hospital would take you.

(by leviathan77)

A Short FAQ

Oh, and by the way, before we get to the good stuff, there have been a number of new people posting in USPOL over the past few months, so I feel it’s necessary to preemptively answer some common questions.

• :derp: Arzying :derp: is a USPOL term for being a “negative Nancy” and panicking over every piece of "bad news" for your candidate (even if there's far more good news). The typical response to someone Arzying over Hillary is "post your map," a reference to the fact that the Electoral College is currently far more likely to favor Hillary, even if the popular vote is close to a tie. The term is named for former D&D poster Arzy, who freaked out at every little piece of bad news for Obama during the 2008 election. He later went all in for Romney in 2012 and is due to be unprobated in time for the 2024 elections.
  • A corncob is a person who has been completely and utterly owned and denies the self-evident fact that they have been. @dril is an Internet treasure for inadvertently coining this term.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

(by Jeff Victor)

The Story So Far

• November 2015: Trump proposes banning Muslims from the USA after the Paris attacks. Hillary fails to invent a time machine, thus ensuring that Jeb fails to kill Baby Hitler and leading to the death of millions.
  • December 2015: Trump proposes killing families of terrorists. Hillary attempts to force Martin Shkreli to reveal the Wu Tang Secret.
  • January 2016: Trump wins Iowa. Hillary e-mails top-secret information to herself as a get-out-of-jail-free card in case someone threatens to make her president.
  • February 2016: Trump pushes Jeb out of the race. Hillary smothers Scalia to death.
  • March 2016: Trump vows to punish women who seek abortions. Marco Rubio wins a single state. Hillary Clinton promises to strictly control Americans' bedtimes.
  • April 2016: Trump mathematically eliminates Ted Cruz from the race, locking up the nomination. Hillary beats an old man senseless.
  • May 2016: Trump takes a portrait of himself with a taco bowl, securing the Hispanic vote. The State Department writes an angry e-mail to Hillary that gets lost in her spam filter.
  • June 2016: Trump hires a new campaign manager and tells a Hispanic judge to suck it, securing the Hispanic vote. The Clinton White House is revealed to have been a den of cocaine and mistresses.
  • July 2016: Trump reveals how scary an America that hates gold star parents really is. Arzying begins in earnest as the DNC has Berniebro protests all week.
  • August 2016: Trump hires a new campaign manager and rights the ship as he prepares plans for a hit television network. The AP reveals how the Clinton Foundation is actually a tool for corruption.
  • September 2016: Trump totally wins the first debate, according to online polls. Hillary literally dies on 9/11.
  • October 2016: Trump totally wins the second and third debates, according to online polls. Especially with women. Hillary dies again when an e-mail virus turns deadly at the end of the month.
  • November 2016: Hillary wins the election???

(by Matt Bors)

114th Congress Bingo Card

Congress was off all last month to campaign, so nothing to see here.

(by Dana Summers)

Other News

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @JohnJHarwood (John Harwood, CNBC, New York Times): Has a lot of sources in the Republican Party and was the first to report on Paul Manafort leaving the Trump campaign in August 2016.
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
Kansas

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

(by Andy Marlette, Mike Luckovich)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what's arzying mean i hear that term a lot

thanks for asking

it means being a cool dude (edit: or dudette) and kicking back to smoke some weed and listen to jazz

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bhsman posted:

I'm curious to know which goons have already voted or if anyone prefers going on Election Day for the spectacle/tradition.

I do, but probably would vote by mail if my polling place wasn't literally next door to my apartment complex. :feelsgood:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bip Roberts posted:

What are the weather reports for election day? Any storms in swing states?

7 days out is too early to predict. Come back on Saturday and we might have some idea.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BGrifter posted:

One more week till we can start getting hype about the midterm elections! Then it's less than a year till the Republican primary process will start. :woop:

To be completely honest, the real fun timeline is as follows:

• November 14: Lame duck session begins. In it, we see whether or not Merrick Garland gets pushed through and whether the outgoing Congress can pass a real budget, seeing as the continuing resolution expires in December.
  • November 15: House Republicans cast their first votes to nominate a Speaker for the 115th Congress. We should know for sure whether Paul Ryan is in trouble by this date.
  • January 3: New Congress sworn in. We find out if Paul Ryan actually manages to survive to serve as Speaker for another two years.
  • January 6: Electoral votes are counted. We get to see how many faithless electors fail to vote for Trump (or Hillary).
  • Mid-January: If Democrats get a majority in the Senate, we find out whether or not the filibuster is toast.
  • January 20: Hillary is sworn in as President.
  • Then the real fun begins, as Hillary prepares her address to her first joint session of Congress, and then Congress has to once again get into the act of budgeting and filling that SCOTUS seat (if Republicans don't permablock it)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

themrguy posted:

Bless me USPOL, for I have Arzy'd.

Is there any truth or substance to the Trump/Russia stuff blowing up on Reddit right now?

It's circumstantial and based on the word of one or two anonymous sources. I'm not going to give it a lot of creedence, and it's why I didn't include it in the OP. The tax return stuff is more substantial, but I already included the bigger bombshell from Oct 1.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It was mentioned obliquely a few pages ago (and indirectly on the last page) but something very weird is going on with one of the FBI's Twitter accounts.

After a year plus dead it comes back to life posting a link to Fred Trump's FBI files, followed by records management and ethics standards and policy directive documents, and then documents on Hillary, Petraeus, video from last year's Baltimore protests, and now, of course, an investigation into the Clinton Foundation that everyone has picked up on.

Almost makes you wonder if it's a deep cyber security infiltration black flag operation given what we know about Russia's interference in our elections so far... :tinfoil:

EDIT: And no one has picked up on the Baltimore protest videos? That's the tweet that seems really odd and suspicious on its face (not to mention the strange highlighting of documents about FBI ethics and records management standards)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 1, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Okay so we're back to Comey just being a tool then.

quote:

An FBI list of documents recently added to the public vault states that this material, which related to former President Bill Clinton’s pardoning of Marc Rich, an international commodities trader indicted on tax evasion charges, was released on October 31. NBC's Pete Williams reported that the documents were the subject of a Freedom of Information Act request and were released “under normal guidelines”...

This head-scratching account reactivation came just two days after FBI Director James Comey’s announcement that the agency was looking into more emails potentially tied to its investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server as secretary of state.

Comey was at the heart of the scandal that erupted from Clinton’s 2001 pardoning of Rich, a financier who lingered on the FBI’s most-wanted list for 16 years for criminal charges including tax evasion, wire fraud and trading with Iran during the oil embargo. Comey oversaw Rich’s prosecution between 1987 and 1993, before later taking over an investigation into then-President Clinton’s decision to grant Rich a pardon on his last day in office. He ultimately decided not to pursue that case.

An FBI spokesman did not immediately respond Tuesday to TPM's request for comment.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BiohazrD posted:

Yes, this is how stupid most people in this country are.

See also: the Ken Bone Bors cartoon in the OP

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

smug n stuff posted:

I was referring to the most recent Weiner stuff. Is the whole, "the emails were neither to or from HRC" thing accurate, and if so, why are people caring?

There is no direct evidence either way. So let's just keep speculating so it stays in the news!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Duscat posted:

We can apparently talk about how Fred Trump was a successful businessman and a philanthropist though, and post a reminder that 15 years ago Clinton pardoned Marc Rich.

I mean, intelligence agencies are basically media outlets, right?

Look, that was just a legitimate FOIA request. Since a lot of people are interested in it, why should we deny them the right to know more‽

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ogmius815 posted:

I really don't understand this thread's obsession with PJ's magical, pseudo-psychological explanations of how the world works. She's wrong as often as she's right.

I don't get it either but if I didn't give the people what they wanted before the election, they would have impeached me like they did poor Fried Chicken.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mel Mudkiper posted:

whoa who is this new challenger

In the list of distinctions that serves as her bio on her campaign website, Gloria La Riva (PSL) lists her good relationship with Maduro and the PSUV higher than her work for immigrant rights and other civil rights within the US itself, and second only to her relationship with Cuba.

That says a lot about what she values (and it's not civil rights in the US... Or Venezuela for that matter.).

Oh, and that's before you start looking at her tankie-like reflexive affection for Russia on Twitter.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Freakazoid_ posted:

Nobody's perfect. I was thinking either Alyson Kennedy or Gloria Estela La Riva.

Also thinking of writing in Rabbi Michael Lerner just because he's an advocate for basic income. Could also write in you know who :bern101:

Gloria La Riva believes Hugo Chavez did no wrong because anti-imperialists can do no wrong by definition.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

This will surely be the case that jails Clinton for good. Any. Day. Now.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

Welp

Suck it Racist Name and Also Mascot Sports Team

gently caress Cleveland and their loving racist bullshit

You say that now, but what if that means Trump just won Ohio?

(It means nothing because Trump still can't win even with Ohio)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

remusclaw posted:

From the game thread.

I'm arzying pretty hard over here. Thanks a lot.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Here. Have some poll questions you might not have seen before.

quote:

28. Do you think the election results can be trusted to be fair and accurate, or are you worried that the election results could be manipulated?
(N=1,000)
Election results will be fair and accurate ------------------565 56.50%
Worried that results could be manipulated----------------380 38.00%
Undecided --------------------------------------------------------- 53 5.30%
Refused--------------------------------------------------------------- 2 0.20%

{FOR 28.2}
29. What do you think is the primary threat that might try to change the election results {RANDOMIZE} - 1) Foreign interests such as Russian hackers. 2) Local political bosses. 3) The national political establishment. 4) The news media
(N=380)
Foreign interests such as Russian hackers---------------- 38 10.00%
Local political bosses-------------------------------------------- 34 8.95%
The national political establishment ------------------------- 79 20.79%
The news media ------------------------------------------------- 173 45.53%
Undecided --------------------------------------------------------- 51 13.42%
Refused--------------------------------------------------------------- 5 1.32%

30. How concerned are you about the possibility of violence on Election Day or afterwards – very concerned, somewhat concerned, not very concerned, or not at all concerned?
(N=1,000)
Very concerned -------------------------------------------------- 201 20.10%
Somewhat concerned ------------------------------------------ 306 30.60%
Not very concerned --------------------------------------------- 196 19.60%
Not at all concerned --------------------------------------------272 27.20%
Undecided --------------------------------------------------------- 23 2.30%
Refused--------------------------------------------------------------- 2 0.20%

Yup, 17% of America thinks that the news media, not Russia, is out to manipulate election results so that their preferred candidate (Hillary, per 75% of those polled) wins.

Also nearly 50% of Americans are at least somewhat concerned about election-related violence during or just after the election.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ImpAtom posted:

The wording is delightfully vague which means yes, probably nothing.

Yes, but that's not what the media will say and voters will think!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Moktaro posted:

Enough goofy quips from me, have a +1 for Hillary in CO!

I think we're gonna be ok.

EDIT: And still no CO thread I see, wanted to discuss the amendments/propositions.

:justpost:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Let's see what's going on over at Drudge Report.

uh.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Someone should ask Scott Adams why Al Qaeda wants Trump to win.

(The answer is that it's actually the FBI that wants him to win, but that subtext is buried deep in the article and requires using critical thinking to remember that Al Qaeda's ability to threaten the US is considerably smaller than ISIS these days.)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Giuliani is a huge friend of the FBI agent's union, so he's almost certainly right.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Eh. Burr is leading so it's only a 6 or so.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Covok posted:

On the day after the election, they'll be 100%.

Not if it comes down to Florida again :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Going way back but go check out the documentary Don't Think I've Forgotten about rock and surf music in Cambodia before the Khmer Rouge took over. It will make you legit cry but you'll also become a gigantic Sinn Sissamouth fan.

Can we have this derail now? I haven't seen the movie but grabbed the soundtrack because I assiduously keep tabs on everything Dust-to-Digital puts out.

It's good stuff and I was disappointed to not see the detail go in that direction because I'm always interested to hear weird hybrid music that grows out of (or as a reaction to) from the early interactions between western music and non-western music (e.g. Jaipong)

• Locked thread