Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah wtf everyone posting about pokemon meanwhile I'm checking the calendar every few minutes to see if it's time to buy Dishonored yet.

That games gonna be goooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The dragon age series makes me so sad. The first one had this sense of purpose and identity and a really challenging but accessible combat system. It wasn't for everyone but I loving loved it. And then everything after that was just bioware deciding it had to be the next blockbuster series, and the best way to get it there was to suck every ounce of soul out and make it this bland garbage.

Ugh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

devtesla posted:

That guy's a fuckin creep lol

I mean, honestly in theory it wasn't that bad. He met someone at blizzcon, didn't get a number, and thought someone on r/overwatch might know her.

It's just he forgot that people on the internet ruin everything and make it way more creepy than it needs to be.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've got a little extra money so I've decided to buy both Titanfall 2 and Dishonored 2. I really need some escapism right now, for obvious reasons.

Looking forward to shooting some robits.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Earth Table your post didn't make me cry but I do really like your avatar so I hope that gives you some hope on this bleak day.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

This is really dumb but I've been tooling around the forums for 30 minutes and I can't figure it out. I haven't been active in a few years. I used to play CoD on the 360 with a pile of goons mainly based out of the IRC channels. I don't see any threads like that anymore. Is there still a community for stuff like this? I just got back into shooters and I want to play BF1 with actual teammates. I always preferred the goon route to joining some bullshit guild.

Check the BF1 thread. I don't know (and am too lazy to go look) but I'd guess they have a discord channel or something going. Should be in the op.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

congratulations on your birthdays everyone

I am excited for my Dishonored 2: Ultra Nerd Edition to arrive today. Looking forward to wearing a signet ring and also my gf inevitably putting a santa hat on the dumb mask setpiece

It's really good. Pc version leaves something to be desired but they weren't joking when they said "Dishonored, but better".

Levels are bigger and more intricate, the city actually feels like a city instead of just interconnected rooms, it's more brutal than ever, if that's what you're into (you monster).

Oh and the world building is SO GOOD. There's a ton of little ambient dialogue and documents and just paying close attention to the environments tells a story.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 10, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mordja posted:

Uh oh, how so?

I have a gtx 1060 and get around 45 fps on average. It seems to have some weird hardware optimization issues. Still it's been out for less than a day and people are already coming up with temp fixes. Give it a week or two and I bet the kinks are ironed out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I'm curious and can't check myself till tonight, is the day 1 patch out already? Or is that not till tomorrow (actual day 1)

Not sure. But I wasn't really paying much attention either. I got a pop-up from steam at like 1am that dishonored was ready to play so I just jumped in.

On a related note, I am so goddamn tired right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Earth Table posted:

Morning Games thread, hope everyone is doing well.

Target has Battlefield 1 on sale for 35 bucks today, and I don't think anyone could be blamed for partaking in a little retail therapy this week. If I'm absolutely in love with Titanfall 2 already is this worth a shot? Is it different enough that I wouldn't get shooter fatigue?

Thanks and best wishes.

Have you played a bf game before? They're pretty drat different from your typical arena shooter in that they're trying to replicate an actual war zone. Huge maps, lots of bullets flying everywhere, big emphasis on vehicles. I personally love those games and find them pretty unique in the genre.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Name your baby Leeroy Jenkins, like the meme.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

You know, I'm replaying Dishonored 1 (having never beaten it) and the writing is pretty bad. Maybe it's just the voice acting but it's like the flattest thing

I always thought the cutscene dialogue in Dishonored was pretty weak. They are far better at expressing story through gameplay and secondary exposition.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Speaking of hangups, hanging people up upside-down in the Arkham games is a pretty good one. :v:

Yeah! Especially if they have a friend around. They'll yell down for help but there's no way way to get your friend down from a gargoyle suspended 40 feet in the air.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I love that the Sonic twitter feels comfortable openly mocking one of their own games and vaguely alluding to 9/11 in the same post. SEGA is just so beyond giving a poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is that a human person kissing Sonic :psyduck:

Oh sweet summer child

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think Yoshi is cool because he stars in good games and, also, is super good in Super Smash Brothers 4 Wii U and 3DS

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Snak posted:

No, we watch those shows together, though.

Why do you watch walking dead if you hate it, snak.

It felt very nice when I realized midway through last season that WD was never going to end or get better and my life would be better without committing an hour a week to a bad show.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Palpek posted:

I don't care about nudity scandals but what's always funny to me is that somebody was actually paid for the time that it took to model and texture vaginas and penises without that actually adding anything to the game or matching the tone of the gameplay. Like, if there was nudity as part of the storytelling it's no biggie but a random nude NPC in an open-world game just walking down the street lol.

In that video there's clearly a naked dude pissing in an alley with everything on display.

If you'd believe the giant bomb guys, this poo poo is an everyday occurance.

Actually though while this is probably an exaggeration, I don't fault them for putting someone doing something gross in a simulation of a big city. I once saw a woman squat down and piss right on the stairs of the bean in chicago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I generally don't play sports games, but I have gotten decent at fifa and madden at different points and they're both pretty fun actually.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Man, you know what sports games were cool? Fight Night. I don't know where that series is now but I had a ton of fun bringing my boxers up in the ranks.

I guess ufc games killed them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

fyallm posted:

I have no idea where to post this, and I did a search but didnt see anything recent... So I just left a 'arcade that has a bar' that had a game called Killer Queen , that was a 10 person 5v5 arcade game. It was a blast and they say they have weekly contests and we had people who had never played arcade games before understanding the dynamics and having a blast..

Is this a game that is new? One that is new that is trying to take off? An old game that never took off but has a loyal following at the small place it is?

The reason I was confused is because it was each a huge machine back to back with a big rear end tv above it showing the whole screen.. It was super fun and I am trying to figure out if this is catching on at barcades? This place was weird because all of the ones I had been to was about getting money on the alcohol end and not charging to play the arcade games but this place charged quarters, which just seemed way old school and behind the times.

I dont know where to ask these questions and hope this is the right thread.

Barcades like you mentioned that just charge for drinks have a really hard time buying/maintaining new machines. Unfortunately arcade cabinets are expensive and finicky as gently caress, and a guy buying a couple rum and cokes and playing all night doesn't pay the bills like people shoving quarters into pacman.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Pokemon GO is an absolute garbage fire cash grab of a game with horrible devs. Giving it any awards would be a travesty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hullo possible Columbus friend. I've seen Killer Queen a few times; they have a set at Arcade Super Awesome (and I'm pretty sure I saw it at Ground Kontrol in Portland) and their league nights seem like a lot of hectic fun. The developers of KQ come by for a tournament there and signed some stuff. I've never played, but ten players for a $1 a game is a good way to market a new arcade game to the barcade group. Most of the places I seek out have pinball tables and those are almost never on free play. I look at a place like Level One Bar+Arcade (might also have Killer Queen) and wonder how they make enough for rent, staffing, and maintenance on dozens of arcade cabinets and a dozen pins with just (slightly over-priced) drinks. Even worse, I go to Arcade Super Awesome regularly and I only buy the drinks on special for $3 or less. It's my favorite hangout but I'll be damned if I'll pay $6 a beer when a cheaper craft is available.

I can't really think of another new arcade game more recent than Killer Queen though, and it bucks most of the trends the arcade industry held onto for decades. MAME cabinets, I guess, but that's it and I wouldn't count it.

Oh I'm very familiar with 16 Bit (I live in cinci). It's a bit of a unique case because it gets CRAZY traffic. I've never been to 16 Bit and not had it be wall to wall. Notably though the one in OTR used to have a Street Fighter cabinet and now no longer does, and I can't think of any cabinets they do have that would've been made within the last decade or so.

Arcade Legacy is another barcade in cinci that has much more manageable crowds, though that's again reflected in the cabinet selection.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 17, 2016

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

fyallm posted:

Hahaha is that the one in forest fair mall?

Nah, there's two. One is a bar with some cabinets and consoles and stuff. I haven't been to the one you're talking about but I think it's just an arcade?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm gonna try to finish my high-lethality dishonored 2 run this weekend so I can start on my non-lethal, ghost run.

Also gotta fit the titanfall campaign in there somewhere.

Hope everybody has good times with video games this weekend!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

drat the Titanfall campaign goes from 0 to absolutely loving bonkers pretty fast.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have been playing Pokémon Moon which is the first mainline Pokémon game I've put any real time into since X.

I like it a lot so far. They front loaded the game with original 150 so I get to have a team with a Grimer, Growlithe, and Magnemite pretty much right out the gate instead of having to choose between a bunch of random 'mon I have no familiarity with.

They also did a great job of mixing up diversions so there's something to do other than battling. Which is good since the combat is still really easy (although every once in a while a fight will be tricky. )

Definitely the most I've been entertained by a Pokémon game since yellow. Game Freak did good this time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, has anyone gotten Sun/Moon who's in the same boat of not having really liked a pokemon game since second, maybe third gen as myself? I kinda want Sun/Moon, but everything good I've heard seems to be from a die-hard fan perspective.

I haven't had more than a passing interest in Pokémon since first gen and bought moon because my friends are all obsessed.

It's really good. At its core it's pokemon still but they made a TON of QoL changes that make it much more accessible. For example, once you face a pokemon once, it shows which of your abilities are effective next time.

It's also just a really charming world and the presentation is very slick.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah the petting thing is cool. It's much quicker to get in and out of than I remember it being in X and if they like you enough they'll smile at you in battle and stuff. It's really cute :3:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My Grimer got poisoned but then "forced the poison out of her system because she didn't want me to worry"

Love you grimer :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm friggin buying Pokemon Sun right now.

Cool!

The moon is much cooler than the sun though. Just like, objectively.

also I didn't initially mean for that to be a pun but I'm glad it was

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The final evo for Rowlett is ghost/grass which I thought was really cool typing but now I see that there's another ghost grass that is an actual giant, angry tree so maybe I need to rethink things...

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Hi, so tell me about Just Cause 3's crimes against video games. Is it basically just "not a huge upgrade over Just Cause 2"? Or is it still riddled with optimization problems?

Because if it's just "more Just Cause except now you have a Wingsuit" then I'm probably interested at this price point.

They patched it and fixed a lot of the issues for some people but I still get chunky as gently caress performance on my pretty bulky pc so I'd say buyer beware.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dunno if it's been mentioned but if you live in the US, you can get the new hitman first season on gamestop.com for a little over $15. You have to buy the first episode + upgrade pack for some reason since the normal first season is still $60 but afaik it's the exact same thing?

Really weird honestly but hey that's definitely low enough for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I wanted to like Crypt of the Necrodancer but I am just SO BAD at grid-based roguelikes. Good music tho.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I mentioned Hitman season 1 being on sale for 16 if you bought the starter pack + the upgrade a couple pages back. Well apparently gamestop stopped being dumb and now just has the first season as a whole on sale for 15 so yeah do that instead.

Also holy poo poo gamestop of all places with a spicy game deal?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Giant Bomb guys explained it well by pointing out that in tf when you wall run you actually gain momentum so as a player you're encouraged to find lines and fly all over the map, jumping from wall to wall. Meanwhile in CoD, the wall running does absolutely nothing for you so it feels super sluggish in comparison.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

The recent "remaster" of AC2 tried to compensate for the slower and more methodical climbing of the older titles by cranking up your climbing speed, only it completely breaks the animation system in the process so Ezio is zipping up and down on one leg while his arms flap around. It's incredible.

Pretty sure this was confirmed to be bs and just polygon being polygon. The glitch you're referencing was in the original game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

oddium posted:

was that the really bad one

No that's unity.

Or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Steep is a real bummer because it just makes me want another good ssx game really bad instead of some wingsuit gimmicky bullshit with dumb looking snow.

• Locked thread