Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

bring back burnout

I want to become a game developer so I can do this because no one else will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sorry I forgot to post in this thread at the start of the month and it was never in my bookmarks :sweatdrop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

It's real good but it's not replayable at ALL in the score attack way that Vanquish (and other Platinum games) works and that's a huge draw of those games for me. If you liked Vanquish you'll love the movement system though

Yeah, I started it again on Master and I forgot that the first two missions post-tutorial are basically COD levels with better movement. It's still a blast to play in the last 2/3rds though, largely because it's more of a platformer + gallery combo. Like I would love a game of nothing but levels designed like the training gauntlet with medals and a scoring system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

the ending to deus ex: mankind divided loving sucks

collective memory of this game disappeared like 4 days after release. I'm an enormous deus ex fan and I still haven't even thought about getting it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

hello please give me names for my baby. i'm thinking Link Iwata Lastname for a boy or Samus Hyrule Lastname for a girl

Sephiroth

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm naming my child Kirby Super Star and you can't stop me!

I played this game for the first time a few days ago and wow! What a game!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I like Dream Course a little more at the moment although I haven't finished super star yet. Dream Course I keep coming back to to try and get all the 1st place medals, I even bought it on 3DS so I can play on the go

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm now in full agreement with the people that said the first 20 hours of FF13 was the best bit.

I always thought it was the opposite where people said they liked the Gran Pulse and beyond more

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everybody speaks very highly of Great Cave Offensive in Super Star but to me...by far the weakest part of the package...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skeezy posted:

It has some good music.

Undeniable. True of most kirby games though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxhQghflIqg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Khanstant posted:

I remembered I had never beat MGSV after losing my save once and restarting and the second time still getting stuck on side mission completionism. Anyway, I kind of forgot where I left off and why the gently caress am I playing as bloody quiet in fatigues? I don't remember Quiet being playable??

You can play as any soldier once you've recruited them but I think a quiet skin is some DLC stuff. Could be wrong

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

I just want to remind everyone that Mt. Dew flavored Doritos once existed, but no longer exist. RIP

They canceled them because gamers demanded quadruple XP codes and #dewanddoritos couldn't commit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Q Bert is cooler than call of duty

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And I say that as someone who has enjoyed call of duty!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should know your local emergency response number because you're going to OD on fun, like a Sim

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol that's one of most hosed up graphical glitches I've ever seen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet from uses focus testing too, especially for Sony exclusive titles with extra money behind them and more expectations to make something good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

I find it kind of amazing that titanfall 2 has a campaign that has the modern Nintendo approach to level design. The game getting split into discrete sections of platforming + a concept (conveyor belt factory, turning switches on/off, time travel, etc) and then dropping that concept and moving onto the next one when it's gotten a bit stale; it's a really neat approach, and it is funny how the story just kinda fades away into nonsensical background noise that barely justifies anything. It's an interesting approach to ludonarrative dissonance to have a plot that pretty much functions as fitting aesthetics for a story and nothing else. It's just two armies fighting in a planet of 3d platformer levels.

There is also an evil white south African mercenary, because they are in every video game where you shoot realistic people now I guess :shrug:

Apparently the way they made the campaign was that they took all the brainstorming ideas and just made each one independently and basically wrote the story as a series of load screen briefings lol. It's awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yoshi's Island is incredible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

make you listen to the worst song in the game

Not a fan of Song of Storms?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My game of the year might be fire emblem.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Last Guardian will not win GOTY.

How do you know?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I generally don't play sports games, but I have gotten decent at fifa and madden at different points and they're both pretty fun actually.

I enjoy FIFA but madden always felt way too slow and simple for me. But above all the arcadey versions of sports are always more fun because they can extrapolate the essence of the sport to extreme degrees. Like Blitz will always be the best football game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

NHL games are my jam. I also like sports management games. And in real life, fantasy sports (and poker, I guess) is the closest thing you get to video games without entering the realm of board games. I love me some socially acceptable fantasy sports games.

Oh yeah the NHL are the only games Ive enjoyed cranking up to Maximum Simulation, theres a lot of fun puck handling stuff in those games if you max out the physics calcs and give yourself full range of motion. Easy to gently caress up as well but its pretty satisfying to get good at

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I dunno what other sports games are like (I played NBA2Kx and some of the Madden games but don't remember anything about them) but the twin sticks setup that NHL switched to during the PS3 era just feels sooooo right with puck handling.

FIFA and NBA is closest with ball handling on the right stick but stuff like Madden and MLB are restrained by the slavish devotion to their sport so its all just waiting around and hitting A to pass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

Because of this post I actually just looked it up and apparently the guy running this Game Awards 2016 thing is the exact same guy who gave all those awards to No Man's Sky.

So yeah gently caress that poo poo imo.

Its a peer system like the Oscars or whatever. And last year was epic, because Kojima was denied admittance by Konami and the place freaked out and then Joosten had a lovely performance on stage. I like the VGAs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The VGAs are the only awards show I can stomach because half of it is just announcements and performances and they don't let people on stage talk. It's also still so low key and low budget compared to other media that you have poo poo like Joel McHale being drunk and failing miserably live to even pretend to give a poo poo about what he's doing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Firewatch and Titanfall 2 are good as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

One thing I'll say about those game awards is that they seem to be pretty inclusive and quick on the uptake when it comes to the diversity of styles and new trends. Most VR games might suck right now but it's good they have a category. How long did it take the Oscars to consider animated films, for instance. Or how they hardly know what to do with popular films, comedies, or action movies.

Oscars added an animation category in 2001, approximately 110 years after the first animated film was created

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Nah Spirited Away marked the point where Miyazaki pretty much gave up having on having a coherent narrative and turned all of his movies into a series of barely connected vignettes.

Thats why its the best one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Conquest is such an amazing game, and it's cool they did the split game approach to keep people interested who preferred the Awakening style (because I didn't and conquest brought me back in love with the series again)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Revelations is also interesting as an extra path. The maps lean a little too Awakening for my tastes but they also have a high volume of super gimmicky maps which is kinda cool. The enemies never feel as carefully designed as Conquest and they give you every character from both games without retuning level and stats for when they appear in Rev so you have a massively unbalanced and bloated squad to mess with but I think it's worth a play. More interesting than Birthright at least

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

I sorta treated Revelations as a victory lap, myself. I really wanted it to have the enemy design of Conquest and the map gimmicks didn't really do quite enough to make up for it, for me.

So I kept playing on Hard and just abused everything I could about the class system to break the game wide open. My +Str/-Lck Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, and Camilla were absurdly powerful. I had Xander and Ryoma become best friends so they could use each other's classes and let me tell you, Xander with Astra and Swordfaire is hilarious. Ryoma with Luna is also pretty good, but not quite as spectacular to behold. And Camilla is just Camilla and is gonna be nuts no matter what you do.

I played Revelations on Lunatic to see if I could manage it and at a certain point I put it on casual because it was just too hard for me. Yeah some of the combos you can make in Rev are insane, but I never made a more powerful character than just Swordmaster corrin with +SKL. Every attack was basically triggering Astra for 200 damage by the end game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like the crowds I see at barcades never went to an arcade before the last year or two, myself included.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wizard on a water slide posted:

Fix it with spells? Dang do we have to walk you through everything

Also anybody else itt getting Pokemon tonight?

My copy is arriving tomorrow but I can't wait.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've posted about it before but if you live near Chicago and like arcade games you absolutely owe it to yourself to go to Galloping Ghost Arcade. Its a flat fee for all day free play of 550+ cabinets that grows weekly, its so sick. I miss it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Tokyo Godfathers is probably like straight up the best Christmas movie

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is my fave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is Pokemon good we don't get it in Europe until the 23rd

I haven't even gotten my starter but it has honest to god cutscenes which is blowing the mind of 6 year old me that still lives inside

• Locked thread