Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Finally getting around to playing Arkham Knight on PS4.

Probably one of the most fiddly games I've ever played and the Batmobile stinks. I want to finish it because I liked the other games in the series but everything about it is awkward as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Curious what you mean by "fiddly". One thing I noticed was how there was a weird, small zone you had to be in to activate things. Like you'd think for pressing a button being closer to it would be a sure thing but it's possible to be too close.

There's that, there's too many gadgets, too many moves/different "systems" (fear takedowns, eject gliding, two different control systems for the car, etc), the map is too big and filled with icons.

I feel like if I take a break from it for a day or two I'll forget a lot of how to play it because it is really unintuitive.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Yeah, I get that. The game's a bit bloated with control features. Unleashing gadgets while gliding seemed especially frivolous.

The one thing that I kept getting caught up on until late in the game was being unsure how much stuff I could do. Because the game starts you off already equipped with certain skills and gadgets from previous games, but not all of them, and because I grew familiar with the stuff available in the upgrade menu, I would hold off on performing certain actions or try to perform them without unlocking them and that was frustrating when combos need every button press to be measured and sure.

Playing as the other characters was the worst form of that. The game says "here, play as Azrael for a sec" and I'm like "ok... so what can he do? Oh, he has exactly the same equipment as Batman for some reason? But you gave me control of Nightwing and he's very different."

I didn't even get that far and I think I'm done with it. Back to Overwatch and FF14.

My gaming tastes have changed a bit recently. I bought a bunch of jrpgs on Steam during the summer sale and I was playing Tales of Symphonia the other day when it struck me that it was just completely unfun. Just boring gameplay and a terrible story. Then I thought about it and realized that's true of the vast majority of the genre. They are bad games but their length seems to give people a feeling of getting value for money or something.

I deleted the all of the jrpgs I had on my machine because I can't think of anything I'd want to play less. Same goes for bigger open world or longer story driven stuff and even a lot of AAA games. I just can't bring myself to care about that kind stuff any more. I'll play multiplayer and VR stuff like REZ and Thumper all day. Yesterday I finished the spelling game thing that was free on PS± this month and I loved every minute.

The likes of Dishonored 2 and whatever other recent blockbusters seem dull as gently caress. I'd struggle to play through them once and I'd never think about them again. I was going to get FF15 and RE7 over the next few months but I'll probably wait until they are dirt cheap later in 2017. There's still Gravity Rush 2 that I'm looking forward to, I suppose.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aging Millenial posted:

Is there anyone who had a ridiculous Steam pile and finished it?

I've done it if by "finished" you mean "deleted 99% of the games on your backlog because you realize you actually have zero interest in playing them" then, yes.

Welp, back to playing Overwatch/FF14.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just finished Doom 2016. It was fine.

By around the halfway point i'd seen all the game has to offer and by the last third i just wanted it to be over. There's only so many times you can go from monster arena to monster arena fighting 5-10 minute battles in each before it becomes tedious.

Add to that the fact that it did the same "person on headset tells you to go a place to push a button to make more story happen" poo poo that every other action game in the past 10 years has done and i don't see where people were getting the whole HOLY poo poo OLDSKOOL111!!!111! thing from.

Whatever, it wasn't bad or anything but i'm glad i paid less than €20 for it and i would have been even happier had i paid less than €10 or got it on PS+ or something.

• Locked thread