Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Word on the street is that Titanfall 2 owns, anybody played it? I still have BF1 to play so I don't know why I'm asking but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

It does own. SP is short but it's up there with Do4m's campaign and does a lot of fun, varied stuff. Much more Half Life/Portal than COD. And multiplayer is even better than the first game's, imo and has a lot of new toys to play with.
:wtc: Everybody learned how to make good FPS games all of a sudden.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Guy Mann posted:

The Steam thread has basically been a FOB for C-SPAM for the past week ever since somebody toxxed almost a thousand dollars worth of Steam games on outcome of the election and everyone used that as an excuse to constantly post about it. Since Palpek posts there all the time I'm assuming that means it's acceptable but it has been a really disappointing turn for what is normally a pretty OK thread. :sigh:
You're being overly dramatic. Last time there was a discussion about it I posted that people should stop and they did. Right now there are like 5 review months going at the same time and people talking about a lot of different things. It's not something taking over the thread like you're suggesting. It's ok for it to come up from time to time though, an insane guy made a crazy toxx, it's one of those forum moments that will be remembered in a year, people can have some space to react, if it gets out of hand I'll do something about it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mordja posted:

Hey Games, we should have a screenshot thread again, imo. I won`t make it though, I`m more of an Ideas Guy.
Done: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796985

Enjoy and post your screenshots.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, honestly in theory it wasn't that bad. He met someone at blizzcon, didn't get a number, and thought someone on r/overwatch might know her.
Nah, the second part of this sentence is creepy by any standards and if I blamed internet for something it would be that it made people think it's not.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

precision posted:

Well, if nothing else, so far the first hour of Mafia 3 is better at world and tone setting than any of the GTA games

Also seriously holy poo poo at the soundtrack and atmosphere driving around town
I really liked it at that moment too but it really goes downhill when the game opens up. It just makes you do a lot of samey repetitive things to push the story forward and you'll start wishing it was GTA. It's really lazy about padding, side content is non-existent or bad, 2k hosed it up. The soundtrack is amazing throughout though, as well as the setting and even the collectibles - that's something that won't change.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Trump tower just hit America. Rip US. Also Rip the entire perma-toxxed Hillary thread.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They named the 45th US President Donald Trump.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steam should run a fascist games sale now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Stay safe people, all Papers, Please! jokes aside, this isn't the end, it's just another chapter, keep on trucking and doing your thing, living your life and reaching your goals. Also games are cool, all glory to Arstotzka!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A remider that the guy who Trump Toxxed in the Steam thread just won $720 worth of games.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PS4 gaining momentum and The Switch will carry us through this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FFXV looks dope.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

GOTY: Witcher 3 Blood & Wine

I still need to play Titanfall 2, I heard some people call its campaign better than Do4m (what).

Other than that - I have more fun with Battlefield 1 than with Overwatch. Operations mode owns hard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The end of the year is rough: Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Tyranny, Watch_Dogs 2, FFXV, The Last Guardian, Dead Rising 4, Owlboy. There are also a few titles released some time ago that I should think about getting like the new Deus Ex, Hitman, Civ 6 and Gears of War 4. I'll probably get like 2 games from this list. Decisions, decisions.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Golden Goat posted:

Last Guardian will not win GOTY.
Look, all it takes is a scene where the big doggy dies to save the protagonist's life and gamers' tears will spell out gotys on the floor.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't care about nudity scandals but what's always funny to me is that somebody was actually paid for the time that it took to model and texture vaginas and penises without that actually adding anything to the game or matching the tone of the gameplay. Like, if there was nudity as part of the storytelling it's no biggie but a random nude NPC in an open-world game just walking down the street lol.

Red Bones posted:

I looked this up online and apparently it is not that every character has a naked model in the game, it is that the texture on one lady's model has pants that let you see her vagina.
In that video there's clearly a naked dude pissing in an alley with everything on display.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

FirstAidKite posted:

Golf games are good imo tho I prefer unrealistic ones or ones that are realistic enough but with unrealistic settings
Yeah, Super Stickman Golf 3 is great and has all kinds of wacky shenaningas in it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Battlefield 1 had a problem where after a round finished you only had a few seconds to quit after which the quit button disappeared and you had to wait for the new map to load and then you could only quit when the new match started.

So a big new patch just came out where :dice: "fixed" this and now the quit button doesn't disappear but when you press it...you still have to wait for the new match to start anyway. They basically added one of those elevator door buttons that do nothing but make you feel like you're doing something. So now BF1 has a new thread title :allears:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I bought a MTN DEW for a Titanfall 2 double XP code
:trumppop:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey, welcome back. I've been watching Twin Peaks for the first time and have a growing appreciation for your avatar. I think I'm at the point where David Lynch started having less and less to do with the series (I know who killed Laura Palmer)
Good to hear you're enjoying it! IMO Twin Peaks goes downhill after the murderer reveal not only because of the big secret being out but because of the overall quality of the writing going down. However even then it's still a really enjoyable series if you have a soft spot for small-town shenaningas (I do). It does come back it its former glory closer to the end.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

At its heart Twin Peaks is a story of a small town and its eccentric people with the murder being just an excuse for their crazy to come out. That's why I really like this series, the crime mystery is just the background but it does give those often very ordinary tales the much needed edge.

Mordja posted:

I still liked it because it's still bizarre as hell but yeah, there's a hard turn there. I'm probably the only person who doesn't hate the Windom Earle stuff though, but who on earth could care about James Hurley? It's got a hell of an ending though, and I really need to watch FWwM one of these days.
I found some joy in almost every side story. It's because I learned to like that town as a whole and just coming back to the series' atmosphere with its many little moments was very enjoyable. It helped that I had the feeling that the authors respected their characters a lot even if they couldn't keep up with the high quality bar they set for themselves the entire time.

FWwM is a bit of a mess, however it's still a must-watch if you're a big time Twin Peaks fan. Some of the moments that I associate with Twin Peaks the most come from FWwM even though the series was so much better. I guess they managed to encapsulate the setting's atmosphere in a few succinct scenes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I got that Titanfall 2. It was cool when Origin showed that I can already play the game even though I was in the middle of downloading. It was less cool when it turned out it's just the tutorial with a really boring time trial section and everything else still needs a full download. I actually liked beating the CSGO trial scores but here I had enough after like 2 tries.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

ImpAtom posted:

The writer apparently honestly and genuinely thought people would buy into the power fantasy so much they'd go alone with it and then it turned out basically nobody loving did.
What the writer did was he tried to save face by saying that his horrific writing was in fact satire and he hoped people would buy that (and they kinda did). When you just judge the game yourself it's really clear that there's nothing satirical about it, it is what it is without any hidden meaning or depth. There's absolutely nothing in the writer's interview that makes any sense when actually compared to the product he talks about.

That said, the best parts of Far Cry 3's writing are the villains. Even the side ones are cool and I enjoyed all of them. If only the devs gave the protagonist and his friends as much character then it would turn the story's quality around. It's still an enjoyable game though, I had a lot of fun with it and definitely don't regret playing through it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I've played more of Titanfall 2 and while I heard the game being praised nobody told me that the titan levels are basically next-gen Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. That would have sold me way faster on the game so here it is for people that don't know this yet. It's a pretty good game overall. The multiplayer requires some getting into as it's way more complex than your usual fps with its mix of Tribes/Halo/CoD/Mechwarrior gameplay which is why I think it's not killing CoD or whatever because it's way easier to shoot mans in a simpler game. It doesn't mean it's not fun because it's really cool but needs some time to put everything together and actually understand what the mode you're playing even is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On the other hand Battlefield 1 sells well so it's not as clear cut. I'd say that BF1 is responsible for the poor sales of CoD and Titanfall 2 - DICE struck gold with the setting as people grew tired with futuristic shooters. EA made a really bad decision releasing Titanfall 2 so close to its own BF1 here - I think their idea was to have the entire target playerbase covered with a huge 64 player historical title and a smaller 16 player futuristic shooter going at the same time but it backfired as everybody just bought BF1.

Those other games are a different story though, there's definitely an oversaturation among AAA+ sequels that are 'more of the same' that failed to make people really excited at the end of this year.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think that even when those AAA+ games are fun they really mostly fall into the 'too similar to the previous installment' category that isn't that interesting to a regular consumer at least this year. Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: HD, CoD: IW, Titanfall 2, W_D 2, GoW 4 - they all really seem more like extensions of the original games at least as long as marketing goes. Doom and BF1 definitely stand out in that crowd. It's not that this is the new norm or something but more of a current trend but maybe it will lead to publishers at least refreshing their series a bit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm worried about Horizon Zero Down after being disappointed with ReCore. Everything looks great now but if one vital part of the game is hosed it's all for nothing. I hope it will be a hit though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Not a Children posted:

I assume the drop in launch sales is because people have learned that if you just wait 5-6 months you can get everything for half price

e: Nintendo games excepted
With Titanfall 2 it's less than 1 month and that's directly from Origin, cheaper than any keysite. The sales must have been really bad so I'm playing it before it dies.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mung Dynasty posted:

Did we finally kill this formerly unstoppable trend?
I see some that I've never heard of before in physical stores. They're basically there as gift impulse buys for clueless parents that do remember the name of the movie their kid went to see a month ago. They just fall off the grid when you only use online stores and nobody reviews that poo poo either. There's definitely way fewer of them nowadays, that's for sure.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in a store. This is suddenly weirdly fascinating.
Some of it moved to the model of patching new movie characters to existing games. For example in the past you would get a whole new lovely Wolverine game released in addition to the movie but when Dr. Strange released every Marvel game just got Dr. Strange added to it: Marvel Avengers Academy, Marvel Contest of Champions, Marvel Future Fight, Marvel Heroes 2016, Marvel Puzzle Quest etc. So they just have those studios working on additional assets and they can advertise the games in cinemas getting new people into them thanks to the patches. Much cheaper and smarter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was a Ghostbusters 2016 tie-in game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The best tie-in titles were the Riddick games and the surprisingly good Wolverine: Origins. Also the Punisher game with insane finishers.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Steam's Black Friday Week sale starts tomorrow :f5:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Adults fondly remembering Skylanders will be the same as those that nowadays remember their Street Sharks toy collection. Nobody will care even people who owned them. Sure that there will be people going 'oh yeah I remember that' but no bonding group chit-chats comparing your first Skylanders or whatever.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lurdiak posted:

You lied to me!
No, just 10 more hours.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Square Enix is having a great Black Friday sale: https://store.na.square-enix.com/black-friday-cyber-monday-sale/digital

Life Is Strange for $5
FFs $4-$9 each
Sleepy Dogs $5
New Deus Ex, Hitman, Tomb Raider 50% off

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mung Dynasty posted:

23 years has got to be some sort of cat record, holy poo poo.
It's 161 in human years. If I was 161 years old you bet I would poo poo on the couch whenever I felt like it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Brace yourselves, Steam Awards™ are coming. http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Sakurazuka posted:

No entry for 'biggest Early Access scam'?
You can add your own category. Don't forget to add 'Wooooah duuuude' at the beginning though to keep with the naming theme.

• Locked thread