Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This month is gonna murder me as I spread my attention 3 ways between Dragonball Xenoverse 2, Dragonball Fusions, and Pokemon. Which one will win? It is honestly a toss-up because I love Goku and Pikachu equally. Luckily I only barely interact with the Pokemon competitive community, so there's not a huge rush to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Palpek posted:

The end of the year is rough: Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Tyranny, Watch_Dogs 2, FFXV, The Last Guardian, Dead Rising 4, Owlboy. There are also a few titles released some time ago that I should think about getting like the new Deus Ex, Hitman, Civ 6 and Gears of War 4. I'll probably get like 2 games from this list. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, that's where I'm kinda at. I wanna play Forza Horizon 3, but realistically I probably won't ever get around to it because I'm constantly adding to my backlog :v:

2017 goals: Actually play my goddamn copy of Bayonetta 2 so I can justify owning a Wii U. Finish Metal Gear Solid V before the servers go dark. Finish Witcher 3.
Start GTA 5 :negative:
...plus whatever comes out on 3DS/Switch that I decide I care about. Pokemans, probably we'll get Etrian Odyssey 5, uh... Monster Hunter XX in like October maybe? And probably a bunch of other stuff, because impulse buying full price 3DS games is apparently my vice now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Golden Goat posted:

I've no idea what my GOTY is gonna be cause some of the good looking ones aren't out yet.
Upcoming is FFXV, Pokemon Sun/Moon & SMTIV:A and i'm playing through Tyranny at the moment and it's really good.

I don't think Sun/Moon is gonna be my GOTY, but I do expect to enjoy it a lot.

As far as things that are actually from this year, which is kinda comically few of the things I'm playing, Monster Hunter Generations is a major contender, but I can't trust that impulse because that series is some kind of cyber-narcotic that I crave constantly. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is good, but it would have been better if it had more features present from either series. It was just kinda "a JRPG" with aesthetic nods toward SMT (specifically, Persona) and Fire Emblem. Kirby: Planet Robobot was excellent, as usual.

I think Dragonball Xenoverse 2 is the only PC game actually from 2016 that I'll have played this year, and while I expect to enjoy it too much like its predecessor, it is not a GOTY candidate.

I think I'm gonna have to say tentatively that the actual GOTY is Monster Hunter, and the "not technically from this year but still the Most Fun Thing I Played" is Metal Gear Solid V.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My GOTY Honorable Mention goes to Skyrim Special Edition. It turns out I still loving love vanilla Skyrim, warts and all.

I don't know what my problem is. I peaced out of Fallout 4 like 1/3 into the main story, but I keep returning to Skyrim every year or so. I guess being a magical/sword vagrant is more appealing to me than being a guns/maybe also sword vagrant? Fallout does have way cooler NPCs, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

nice.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Skeezy posted:

Ghost Trick rules so much.

I love the detective's weird-rear end dance-walk that looks like it has way too many frames per second and was maybe rotoscoped. That poo poo is hypnotic.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxious.

Salty boys.

I'm on board with the Griffin McElroy school of describing things, but also I really enjoy Austin Walker, who has also adopted that way of speaking, so

Sorry, Mordja and others, it's kind of a thing now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like just watched Spirited Away. When do we get a theatrical release of Howl's Moving Castle?

e: I would also accept Ponyo

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is an indignity.

Be strong, Lizard Wizard. We believe in you :sterv:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This weekend, I played: a whole mess of pokemon. I will play more today.

Pokemon is an interesting game cycle for me. A new one comes out and I become loving obsessed for like a month or two, and then proceed to give close to zero fucks about Pokemon until about a week before the next one comes out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mung Dynasty posted:

Sort of tangentially related to unsustainable AAA development, remember licensed games?

Like, it hit me yesterday that I can't really think of the most recent one. There used to be a very long period of time where basically any half-notable blockbuster movie also had a companion video game. The LEGO franchise kind of does this, but it's not exactly on the same level of EVERY HARRY POTTER, LOTR, AND JAMES BOND MOVIE GETS A SHOVELWARE ADAPTATION TOO.

Did we finally kill this formerly unstoppable trend?

EDIT: After posting this I realize there's been plenty, such as the Arkham games, Telltale's stuff, Shadow of Mordor, etc. But they don't seem like the same level of cash-grabby barrel-scraping and maybe that's why I don't even notice it in the same way.

The Arkham stuff is way more of a comic/animated series game than it is a movie game. Shadow of Mordor is also total LotR fanfiction that just happens to share the movie aesthetic. I think the most recent non-Lego explicit movie tie-in game I can think of was Green Lantern. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's like some double-strength 3DS shovelware for whatever Dreamworks film you want, now that I think of it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Palpek posted:

There was a Ghostbusters 2016 tie-in game.

tap my mountain posted:

I thought that was just a steaming turd they passed at the same time as the film's release

Yeah, it wasn't really a movie tie-in. You're not there playing as Melissa McCarthy or anything. It's a roster of totally made up Busters that I think weren't even from the comic books. Same characters as the lovely mobile game that came out around the same time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wizard on a water slide posted:

I preordered Pokemon Moon at Gamestop for some reason, and when I went in to do it the people in the "trade-in" line were a working class married couple trading in like a hundred figurines, literally bags full, for a total that had to be less than the price of a single new game (they were at $20 after going through like half of them)

That is colossally sad :(

I bet the circumstances of it were super hosed, too, because you don't collect a hundred plastic figurines unless you're super passionate about it for some reason.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tap my mountain posted:

Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

Mine was Magnetman

Mine was either Woodman or Chargeman. I can't honestly remember because I played those games all out of order as a kid.

I'm still in the middle of Pokemon, but I'm picking up Dragon Ball Fusions today, as well, because it looks like it's gonna be ludicrously fun for me, the guy who has been super pumped about DBZ for 20 years. I'll probably juggle them a little, but the plan is to get to the end of the main story in Pokemon, go on a little DBZ vacation, and then start Pokemon eugenics programs for a few of my favorites.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

There will definitely be adults going "I remember playing that as a kid" just like there are adults now going "I remember the first pokemon I caught" and stuff

There's a contextual difference, though. I remember playing Final Fantasy when I was a kid. I remember playing Pokemon when I was a kid. I still play Pokemon on day 1 every time it comes out, and I haven't given a poo poo about Final Fantasy since FF9. I think I got like 1/3 through FF13 three years ago and then got distracted by a shiny object, never to return again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Harrow posted:

Here's someone showing how it's probably supposed to be done in the Platinum Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whJVGKIZqAo

Now that I know the new Final Fantasy is a secret DBZ game, I'm suddenly interested :v:
What the gently caress is my problem lol

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snooze Cruise posted:

Anybody here remember Scannerz?!

I remember, kinda. I think I was more interested in Digimon as a concept at the time, but I didn't have either of them. The stupid digital pet I had was... uh, "Dinky Dino" I think.

I wish I had gotten an actual tamagotchi, in retrospect, because that seems to be the one that ended up having the most "depth", and now I understand too much about finite state machines to be able to give a poo poo about digital pets :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ImpAtom posted:

I am torn between if I want to play the game where I battle, collect and evolve cute monsters, the game where I battle, collect and evolve giant robots or the game where I battle, collect and evolve gokus. It's a difficult day for me.

I am also curious about the giant robots game.

I'm gonna try out Fusions tonight, but then I'm probably gonna shelf it until I finish pokemon later this week. Then I'll probably play Fusions in earnest, before returning to Pokemon to start breeding and doing postgame/online crap. I love collecting monsters, and gokus.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mung Dynasty posted:

23 years has got to be some sort of cat record, holy poo poo.

That cat is gonna transform into a youkai and haunt your couch forever. Condolences, LawfulWaffle.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

Here is a v good thing that happened to me when I replayed Sleeping Dogs on PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVa9Sbz4rRQ

GOOD. YES. That poo poo is why I love open-world games. It is Jank taken to the level of art.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
wanna boop that snoot

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Hi, so tell me about Just Cause 3's crimes against video games. Is it basically just "not a huge upgrade over Just Cause 2"? Or is it still riddled with optimization problems?

Because if it's just "more Just Cause except now you have a Wingsuit" then I'm probably interested at this price point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tap my mountain posted:

Guns feeling like toys is a big plus for me actually

Same. I think it's what gravitates me toward Overwatch despite the fact that I don't actually play any of these games :v:

When I used to play Counterstrike in high school I reskinned all my favorite guns to be bullshit sci-fi versions of themselves.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I liked 3, but I think I am a major exception to the audience. I liked exploring the wilderness area, and the animal crossing bullshit at the homestead, and petting every animal in the cities. The cities themselves were total rear end, though.

I did enjoy when Ben Franklin gives his prepared speech about loving older women to Hatham Kenway during the prologue.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lurdiak posted:

It's just 2 again, but with a Facebook game in it.

It's 2 with a cooler city, which is important. Gotta climb those bitchin historical buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lurdiak posted:

Like how do you have a game where you can actually talk to Washington and Lafayette but still manage to say almost nothing about the american revolution and its political implications other than a very vague "the natives got screwed" footnote.

Also I was really upset that I got sidequests to investigate Bigfoot and the Headless Horseman and other cool stuff and every time it just turned out to be a regular guy.

I like when Washington is all "You did good, Connor. Now America is a free land for everybody!"

And Connor is just kinda looking past him at a nearby slave market, all "...:saddowns:"

• Locked thread