Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh. Yknow, thinking about it, that does make more sense than there just being a dude's head under there.

edit: Speaking of ol pyramid head, I recently saw my favorite Silent Hill thing ever in insane Diablo clone Silent Hill Book of Memories:

I would very much like to play RED PYRAMID'S KART JAM 3000

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:siren: through the silent hill wiki I have learned that you can already play as pyramid head in a kart game and now my life is complete :siren:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:eyepop: What an athlete. Truly a pyramid of all trades.

edit: No matter how much you dislike Dead Space style pyramid head, be glad that these concepts from the second movie for what's under the helmet did not pan out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 1, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boy you were just waiting like a cobra coiled in the tall grass for someone to say that weren't you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Boy you were just waiting like an Arbok coiled in the tall grass for someone to say that weren't you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYpUYJStD0

Set a new record in Max Payne 3, I am now 10 minutes ahead of my own record, more than 11 minutes ahead of the 2nd place one! :woop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mods tell us who bought that av

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

what the gently caress even are video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is a criminal injustice. But thank you for trying anyway.

edit: vvv I hope so, I only found out who bought mine through a third party because the guy who bought it is a good poster but it's not out of the question

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 3, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GUI posted:

Every time I see someone's playthrough of Max Payne 3 I immediately skip to the Airport shoot-out. :madmax:

My inspirational talk about not letting a belief in fate and destiny belittle your accomplishments coincided very well this time around!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lobok posted:

What's the timestamp for that so I don't have to scan through two hours?

1:50:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GYpUYJStD0&t=6640s

Technical nerdery: I actually screwed it up by going just a bit too fast, the game ended up spawning some guys behind me because I was too far ahead. When the gate opens halfway through, a bunch more guys spawn around you. It has to plop them down somewhere that's not in your field of view, but you can see the whole lounge from there. The game assumes you're not all the way at the far end yet, but if you are, it's like "uhhh over here I guess??" That coupled with me accidentally leaving a guy alive (you can see him shooting at me when I go up the escalator) slowed me down quite a bit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember playing the original N on Newgrounds or Addictinggames or similar like ten years ago. I was considering buying N++ for old times' sake, I'm glad to hear from reviews etc that it's good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, the content is a mixed bag. There' a tooon of levels and they're well designed, but the art is extremely minimalistic (basically comes down to "sometimes the background changes colors"), and there's no story to speak of.

Even Super Meat Boy has more art and story and style than N++ does, and its a pretty simple indie game. But N++ does what it does well, its just a one-trick pony.

I would argue that their super tight focus on gameplay alone is what makes it so good. They didn't bother with story or super flashy visuals because they don't really need it for the game to be a real contender. I'd say that N and games like it are the perfect example of how a video game doesn't need any specific thing to be considered good, it just needs focus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

I never said lack of story made it unfun or bad, merely that 'its has so much content' isn't the whole story. Good art and story are definitely a part of 'content'.

I didn't imply you said that either and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

And yet Tetris is being made into a trilogy of films, because their story is too big for a single film.

Hey man, Russia has a long and storied history, there's no way a recount of the space race can fit in one movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing I know about Watch Dogs 2 is that it has a protagonist who is I guess a minority? I think I read that. And there's drones.

edit: And that it's gonna fuckin suck, but I have Watch Dogs 1 to back me up on that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

iirc it sold well based largely on pre-orders. People loved it when it was just an e3 demo

That's because the E3 demo looked and acted almost nothing like how the game ended up looking and acting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fake-rear end voice chat in that rainbow six or the division or whatever preview was hilarious. So cringey and terrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I hate this. I haaateee it. I am of the opinion that you should not devote valuable space in your tiny little human heart to hatred of anything but issues that are most important to you but I can't stop itttt

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

OH NO NO NAAAAAO

AHHHHHHHH

WHOAAAAAA

AAARRRRRRRGHHH

EEEEE

WAIT FOR ME AHHHHH

My kryptonite :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Snake... I'm not a colonel anymore." - Roy "Sanders" Campbell, Metal Gear Solid, 1998

edit: "Snak... I'm not a colonel anymore."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just like how Uncharted 4's subtitle, "A Thief's End", could pertain to like 3/4ths of the cast for varying reasons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Recalling the amount of people that dropped a tenner (sometimes on shared accounts) to read the dangan ronpa and dangan ronpa 2 lp's will always get a chuckle out of me. They ought to come out with another one of those games so Lowtax can line his pockets with gold once more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FirstAidKite posted:

What's up november games chat thread

I'm watching people play Bloodborne for the first time and it's cool to see them learn & grow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

corn in the bible posted:

they did make another one but it's a terrible survival horror game

maybe i should lp it, id become famous

Only if you translate it from japanese like Orenronen did the original dangman grandpa so weebs flock to it like bees to honey.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I watch let's plays while I play games that don't require much thought like TF2 or games I've played for a fuckbillion hours like the Dark Souls games. It's good training for splitting my attention while also being entertained!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jay Rust posted:

I can listen to podcasts while playing games like that because that's just audio, I don't know how you're able to watch two things at once though!

I've got 2 monitors, so usually I just set whatever I'm watching up on one and the game on the other. With games like TF2 or Dark Souls there's a lot of downtime while you're waiting to respawn or in a loading screen or whatever, so I can use that time to actually watch it. Otherwise I'm just listening.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ah, so the nerd accent is just "it's a normal sounding person but they're talking about NERRRD SHITTT", I see

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's less to do with NERRRDDSSS and more that the guy just has an annoying-sounding voice :shrug:

Like, he'd be just as annoying to listen to if he were talking about the weather, it's got nothing to do with the subject matter

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

codenameFANGIO posted:

I think you're focusing too much on the "nerd" part here

I'm just saying that people sounding like comic book guy from the simpsons has little to do with what they're talking about, so having that be your reason to not like the subject matter is not a real good one, because there's infinity people talking about anything and I doubt they all sound like comic book guy

edit By which I mean, you should watch more let's plays. Everybody should.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 5, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today's op was, truly, a death tower.

EDIT: I'm gonna need four rookies for tomorrow.

Do I win an award for "Least Wounded"?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today's been a pretty stressful day. It is time to relaaaax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBU2IJ1Mnjw

namaste

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would imagine most people don't watch movies to be prodded at about how bad the real world they live in is for N reasons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That doesn't stop lots of cold-war era movies being about nuclear armageddon, or lots of movies in the past decade relying on 9/11-inspired visual imagery.

There's a good way and a bad way. You can lean on real-world issues while still maintaining the escapism movies provide, but there's a difference between establishing connections between the movie's events and real-world events, and just having real-world events be in the movie like it's supposed to take place in our real world. That movie with the Twilight guy that turned out to be about 9/11 is what I'd consider to be the ur-example of the bad way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

the new yorker doing its best banksy

Imagine 4 VR puppers on the edge of a cliff

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Politoons are possibly the saddest art form and that's why I love them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Real hurthling! posted:

dude has broken through to the next level. released like 5 insanely cool vids today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH2YyLT7N70

Cloning the fire, causing it to hang in midair, then using it to bounce mario up and into the star to avoid having to press A is ingenious :eyepop:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Okay so in addition to what I said yesterday about hardcore Metal Gear fans going beyond the pale apparently it's also voice actors from classic Konami games that are all in this conspiracy poo poo as well.

Haha this is awesome. I love it when VA's get super weird.

edit: I like Pokemon because they go really far with really simple and easy to understand mechanics. It's also fun to make a bunch of friends* and go on a journey together even if that journey includes a lot of walking back and forth in two squares of grass beating up trash mobs.

*Friends made by beating the crap out of them and then capturing them into friend slavery

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gotta go with my homeboy Pikachu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VideoGames posted:

The coolest I have ever been! Man, I almost want these Xcoms as my avatar!

"12% chance to hit? I'll take it!
:xcom:, baby!"

• Locked thread