Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Remember, remember, the games of november

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

corn in the bible posted:

This November, some big games are coming out, like the next episode of Hidden Object Game extravaganza Adam Wolfe and... well, I guess that's the only big one. But maybe some small indie games will come out too and we can talk about those. In the meantime, how's the kids?

e: It has come to my attention that something called "Pokemón" is also releasing this month. I don't really know what that is, but if you're into that then we can definitely talk about it.

Final Fantasy XV comes out this month which is kinda a big deal, but maybe that's :thejoke:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

FALLING SKIES tries to do the post-apocalypse thing by making you buy upgrades with supplies you find on missions. So I sent our troops, who are not XCOM soldiers, on a mission to raid a warehouse for stuff. Things went poorly right from the start:

Wow, I had no idea this existed. That's a pretty faithful xcom clone, and its pretty funny they made a game for falling skies of all things.

Did anybody even like, finish falling skies? I got like halfway through the first season and couldn't make myself keep watching.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

:wtc: Everybody learned how to make good FPS games all of a sudden.

Its less that they learned how and more they started putting more attention and focus into it.

COD: Modern Warfare did some really smart things to multiplayer FPS, but a whole wave of FPSRPGs decided to just copy it and survive on the strength of pavlovian unlocks over having lots of single player content.

Now that's wearing thin and they're all going back to actually trying to give a dang about the SP. Doom 4's multi blows but the game still did pretty well because the single is so good. Hopefully that's sending a message to publishers that supporting a strong SP is an important part of selling a game package, along with games like Titanfall 1 and Evolve bombing hard on pure-multi with no single player offerings.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes I'm in the mood to maybe check out the new CoD or Battlefield or something for the multiplayer but then the season pass being like the same price as the game itself always puts me off (and it seems like you're missing out on a lot of stuff without it idk)

I love Overwatch/Splatoon though

Luckily more and more devs are realizing that paid map packs are a terrible idea, so 'season passes' should be more about single player DLC or fancy gun skins. The latter of which you can always live without, and the former of which is more like an optional expansion than something you're really missing out for not having.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blackfyre posted:

You know, as I loved ICO and SotC I immediately preordered Last Guardian, CE too. The more I see though the less convinced I am and as someone said I kinda feel obligated to buy it? To be fair I think I need to just overcome my dumb side this time and cancel the CE and just wait to get the game in a sale later on.

Are people excited? The previews and general impression I get of the game are very tepid.

I'm expecting basically ICO 2, no more, no less.

So not as good as SotC but still probably interesting. Yeah, I would probably cancel the CE if I was you and just get the regular release or even wait for a sale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'd be happy to be used as a soldier, although I am a duder.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

:lol: this pretty drat close, considering you have no idea what I look like. I guess you were going for movie Zaphod?

Nice Mario

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 4, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

the new Flintstones comic has no right being as good as it is, but it's amazing. Check it out!

Whoa what?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love Rupon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

N++ is extremely good and has a ridiculous amount of content. Difficulty creeps up pretty hard though

Well, the content is a mixed bag. There' a tooon of levels and they're well designed, but the art is extremely minimalistic (basically comes down to "sometimes the background changes colors"), and there's no story to speak of.

Even Super Meat Boy has more art and story and style than N++ does, and its a pretty simple indie game. But N++ does what it does well, its just a one-trick pony.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I would argue that their super tight focus on gameplay alone is what makes it so good. They didn't bother with story or super flashy visuals because they don't really need it for the game to be a real contender. I'd say that N and games like it are the perfect example of how a video game doesn't need any specific thing to be considered good, it just needs focus.

I never said lack of story made it unfun or bad, merely that 'its has so much content' isn't the whole story. Good art and story are definitely a part of 'content'.

Help Im Alive posted:

Why does a platformer need a story

I never said it needed one.

Ostentatious posted:

I too play my skill based video games for the story

Oh gently caress off.

oddium posted:

would shovel knight be even better without a direct story and just nuclear throne/spelunky levels of flavor/style

Yeah see Shovel Knight has a nice charming story that doesn't get in the way, and has gorgeous graphics that totally sell the game. Seeing each new level is a delight.

N++ is fine for what it is, but Shovel Knight definitely has more content.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I didn't imply you said that either and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

I guess it was more the other people dogpiling on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Excuse me, the premise of Mario Kart is for one plucky dude to prove that he is the baddest, best racer in all the Mushroom Kingdom. That racer is Toad.

And the story of mario kart is always the same: Tragedy by blue shell.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

WD1 was a mess of two entirely different game designs being shoved together which is really bad game design, and WD2 looks like they're sticking to it.

They should really make a GTA clone OR make a hacking game, not both.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think he counts as a mascot based on the fact that I know that he dresses like a fighter pilot despite not being sure where I exactly got that image of him.

If you've read any of his books, they all have pictures of him on the inside sleeve or back cover chilling on an aircraft carrier wearing a jacket, avaitors and a ballcap.

Without those he'd probably actually be hard to recognize.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I read a tom clancy book once and I liked it :shobon:

It was tom clancy's op force #1 or net force 1 or whatever it was called, I forget the exact name, it was dumb but an easy and interesting enough read

Net force was really good and underrated, I read it when I was a teenager and loved that poo poo. It wasn't actually written by Clancy though.

For actual Clancy books, Rainbow Six and Bear and the Dragon are both pretty good, if you like military fiction.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Honestly, mobile games in general seem very underpriced, it's an unusual phenomenon

Its a hyper competitive market compared to console games. The barrier to entry is so much lower so you get a ton of indies trying to break into the scene and constantly having to undercut each other for any attention at all, then you've got free games on top of that competing with them too. Keeps things super cheap.

Also they're mostly digital and priced accordingly. Console games are in the extremely awkward position where digital releases generally are more expensive than physical in order to avoid offending retailers, when digital should be way way cheaper.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

The Witcher 3 was $60, one of the largest RPGs ever made, fully voice acted. FFXV is probably going to be bigger than W3, and it's only $60. W3 has way more than 40 hours of gameplay, and I'm assuming the FFXV will.

More importantly, the original FFVII only had about 40-50 hours of gameplay, so what the gently caress are they adding to stretch it over multiple games? Bloating a game up and splitting into multiple games doesn't make it worth paying more for.

edit: Pricing aside, in general, I don't expect my FFVII nostalgia to be a persistant thing. If it was gonna be one game that I could buy and play and beat, I would probably get it for full price for the trip down memory lane. If I can only start it, and then have to get more as it comes out, I don't care enough.

Dud you should like watch a trailer of the FF7 remake before you make all these weird angry posts that have nothing to do with reality.

They're completely remaking the game. Its more like an FPS or Kingdom Hearts than the original FF7. "what the gently caress are they adding?" EVERYTHING.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

You're right, I didn't watch a recent trailer. There was an IGN article in april that said FFVII would be "multiple full games" and that they were using FFXIII as their template for how it would be released. That's literally the last time I gave a poo poo about it. I didn't even know there were gameplay trailers out.

Basically they realized that simply updating the graphics on FFVII wouldn't satisfy the fans, so they're instead making a huge insane fan-dream version of FFVII where every little screen is a huge, massively detailed map that you can freely run around and explore and fight enemies with Kingdom Hearts / FFXV style real-time melee combat stuff.

Its a gigantic undertaking. We'll see how they end up pricing the episodes, but if they remake all of FFVII on that scale, its going to end up being over a hundred hours long easy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milosh posted:

I want a new FPS.

I'm torn between Battlefield 1 and the new Call of Duty. What should I get goons?

Battlefield 1 is really fun. Its probably my favorite Battlefield game ever. I didn't even really get into the past ones (played 1942 and 3 and 4 here and there) but I just keep wanting to play BF1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I can listen to podcasts while playing games like that because that's just audio, I don't know how you're able to watch two things at once though!

I put on netflix shows but I mostly don't watch them, I listen to them and glance over occasionally if there's something not clear from just the audio.

Doesn't work for Narcos though since my spanish is rusty and can't keep up, I need the subtitles pretty often.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The other day I found what would be a fantastic Youtube channel for Warhammer 40,000 lore, but the narrator, while a fantastic source for Warhammer lore, has the most grating voice that I just cannot listen to.

There's lots of youtubes with annoying videos but if you sift through the garbage there's some diamonds in the rough

have you tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPjE1Sn-Ts Luetin09 has a decent radio voice.

I'm gonna guess that the fantastic source of lore with a grating voice you're talking about is OneMindSyndicate and yeah its bad.

I said come in! posted:

That's actually perfectly fine. Here is a video from what I was talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_AZ1S9t1EI

Hahahaha loving called it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Do the new xcoms have the gigantic terror units like the old xcoms did?

Like the giant t-rexes that had guns or the mini ufos?

mini ufos yes, snaketits and space orc mutons yes, alien t-rexes (I wanna say they were called reavers?) no

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

this is like an action movie, maybe the next shelter game can be like this

https://twitter.com/RobPulseNews/status/795373872451305472/video/1

gently caress this was a good ride. I was losing my poo poo when all the snakes dogpiled him and then HOLY poo poo YOU GO LIZARD GO GO GO YOU CAN DO IT

Feel like this has to be super edited footage, or even worse like they staged it with all the snakes and stuff. But IDK maybe its real.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The answer to "what is the best Souls game" is either DS2 or Bloodborne depending on whether you value the online experience or the single player adventure aspect more, respectively.

DS1 if you like the level design aspect more, BB if you like the combat aspect more.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ChewedFood posted:

Sorry in advance. There's no questions thread as far as I can tell. I just started to play elite dangerous again and i can't find the thread, do goons still play this? I prefer to get all my metagame info from goons and was hoping to find it all in the thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690

Snak posted:

DS3 if you want every quality of life feature in one game.

DS3 also has the best graphics. I like how each game is the best at something different.

DeS has the most unique and memorable bosses but lots of them are gimmicks that once you've beaten them once they're not hard ever again.
DS1 has the best level design.
DS2 has the best multiplayer.
DS3 has the best graphics, most weapons and features.
BB has the best story and combat.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah I never finished the dlc. After playing BB and DS3, I'm not sure I can ever go back to DS2's terrible feeling combat.

But yeah I should probably fight Fume Knight at some point, since I have like 200 hours in DS2 and still haven't fought the best boss.

I think I like Sir Alonne even better than Fume Knight. Seriously for all the hate people throw at DS2, the DS2 DLC is some of the best content in the entire series by far. You really owe it to yourself to go back and play all 3 DS2 DLCs.

Snak posted:

Also, the people who fav is DS2 can call this a win. I'm redownloading it. Gotta finish those DLCs. Can you believe I have managed to never spoil myself on what Fume Knight even looks like? It's gonna be cool to see him for the first time after hearing about him for literally years.

Do it do it

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 8, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't like this casting decision and also I think she looks like a bland motoko cosplayer :( I'm sure the movie will end up fine but it would've been cool if they cast someone better fitting the role of "japanese cyborg cop" than scarjo

I'm not at all sure the movie will end up fine :ohdear: I'm getting serious Lucy vibes from it and that movie was unbelievable garbage, the worst movie I've seen in years. GITS is really amazing stuff and if they just do a generic Hollywood action take on it, its gonna make me really really sad. And that's what it looks like.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

So, funny story: for like, days, every time someone talked about Tyranny, I was getting it confused with Agony. Aka Lighting engine, textures, and particle effects: the game.

I realized awhile back that Tyranny wasn't the game I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name Agony. Agony looks dope.

Oh man, I'd never heard of Agony before, but this seems like *exactly* the kind of Beksinski / Barlowe nightmare-Hell creative art poo poo that I've been begging for.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I'm just waiting for eXistenZ to get released on a non-VR platform, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

You killed my gun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIolNCxxGfQ

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

how the gently caress is Dragon Quest Builders in "best family game" and not "best RPG" and why is dark souls 3 an rpg now

like seriously do they even game

Why are "Action" and "Action/Adventure" categories? Can't come up with better names than that?

I mean half of those comparisons are laughable. But nobody knows what to do with game awards so its all a mess.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Anyone taking the game awards seriously: bad, stop that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I challenged Death to a game of chess... and lost :(

In Crusader Kings II of course. Just got around to trying out the latest DLC, and it's good.

Bogus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

With my birthday money I bought a steam link, a steam controller, Doom, and a few other games on sale. It's been a good November!
Also I really, really like the steam controller. Going to be awesome when my link gets delivered and I can be really lazy! :D

Doom is super fun :thumbsup:

Also steam controller is pretty solid. Some people hate it but its pretty ideal as a FPS controller that isn't a mouse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

How did they gently caress it up this bad

Do you know how that stuff works? Its not exactly simple.

And its a cheap 3rd party knockoff trying to make a quick profit, of course they hosed it up bad what do you expect.

If you didn't, you should read the article posted earlier explaining that Sega has nothing to do with this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Wait, what is Cook Serve Delicious?

Root Beer Tapper mixed with like, Typing of the Dead. Its pretty fun actually.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pirate's Creed was better than any of the other AC games and they should really just make more of those. I was so confused by them returning to landlocked cities for Unity and Syndicate.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Palpek posted:

You should play Rogue then. It's Black Flag but half winter half spring. Also it has even more wilderness than 3 but a lot better designed.

Yeah I really need to get around to playing Rogue I just haven't had time

oddium posted:

was that the really bad one

No, Rogue was the one everybody ignored because it came out only on old consoles and at the same exact time Unity came out on new consoles. Its on PC though now.

Rogue is basically a sequel to Black Flag, it has ship combat but its set back in North America instead of Carribean. Its like a mix of 3 and Black Flag that is supposed to be real good. But everybody ignored it because all the marketing by Ubisoft was on Unity, which was lovely.

The worst AC games were 3 and Unity, and the best AC games were Black Flag and Brotherhood.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Assassin's Creed 1 is bad, sorry.

AC1 has lots of issues but out of the series its the most focused on just being a game about assassinating dudes.

The rest of the series has turned into basically "Uncharted but in different time periods" or any other generic action/adventure with linear storytelling.

I really want a game like AC1 but better, something like the Hitman games but on a bigger scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

For anybody who has ever played blood omen, is it possible to survive the intro sequence? I know you're supposed to die during it, I'm just curious.

I don't think so. Maybe there's a secret you can get if you do survive like demon's souls, but you're expected to die to move things along.

FirstAidKite posted:

How so?

I was able to kill off some of the enemies by just kiting them and I feel like if I was actually skillful enough, I could kill at least the enemies outside. I know the game isn't going to give you some la-de-da happy ending where kain never dies but what ends up happening? Does the dude who shows up and stabs you while you're on the ground just show up regardless of how well you're doing?

Good question. You should investigate and document your findings :)

• Locked thread