Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

All the self-important wackiness in the world can't make up for the fact that it's a game with f2p cell phone IAP bullshit where you have to pay for lives and wait for cooldown timers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Between Brigador going more than 50% off and Infinifactory being on the BTA tier of the Humble Bundle this has been a hell of a month for indie devs who stubbornly swore they'd never, ever go on sale crumbling in record time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

devtesla posted:

Brigador is great, buy it

It looks interesting but I don't understand how you can have enough time and resources to make an entire tie-in audiobook but not enough to add functioning achievements. Especially for a game with so much emphasis on the free play mode.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Saints Row 4 finally has full Steam Workshop support. You did it, IdolNinja!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Brace yourselves, Steam Awards™ are coming. http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwardNominations/

Great, one more award show for gamers on the internet to spend weeks kvetching about while swearing that they totally don't care at all about it.

FirstAidKite posted:

This is dumb because you can totally browse through netflix even though it suggests stuff to you.

LoliRock was on there probably because this is KCB's family's netflix account where their 12 year-old watches anime and cartoons

It's like how steam has a steam queue that tries to recommend stuff to you but it's not very useful

Also Netflix intentionally recommends titles it thinks you'll give a low rating to, partially to refine its algorithm and partially because deep down inside people want to watch poo poo sometimes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like I'm always on the border of buying Sunless Sea.

Somebody push me over, one side or the other.

Their previous game was a browser text adventure called Fallen London and it really shows. The game is mostly long stretches of dull sailing and clunky combat in between text dumps of oh-so-cleaver anglophile Lovecraft steampunk worldbuilding, with resource management being the biggest bottleneck in the game and the devs actively patching out anything people discover that negates some of the tedium.

It kind of reminds me of Massive Chalice in that it being grueling and unfun is arguably the way its supposed to be and it complements the story and mood they're going for but it doesn't really make up for how tedious it is to actually play the game as a result.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

I got Cats Are Liquid because it is 74 cents and is a game about a cat that is a liquid

Related blobby cat games:

http://armorgames.com/play/5379/sushi-cat

http://store.steampowered.com/app/447890/

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

wizard on a water slide posted:

The Square Enix site sale seems to have inexplicably changed the discount on the Final Fantasy digital downloads (possibly other things) from like 66% to 30% and I feel like I was tricked into buying FFIX, a good game I already own!!!

IIRC they accidentally set the prices of games at what they meant to actually discount them, so like instead of taking $5 off they were selling a game as $5.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 24, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Doom 3 invented clicker games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

The service industry is toxic, get out asap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAbiwPyccg

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afPZj6PlDF0

I'm thankful that every day we're that much closer to a world without A presses.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qI-nM4xnWY

Only the highest-quality rips (RIP SilvaGunner) :whatup:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

Milk it as hard as you can Konami.

I do like the people calling Metal Gear Survive a lazy shameless cash-in because Konami didn't just remake an old game and is instead going to the trouble of actually making a new game in a new genre.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

So gamers, what have your spoils been for this Black Friday?

I go out of my way to not buy anything on Thanksgiving or Black Friday because people should be at home with their families, not fending off the closest thing to a real-life zombie hoard for 12+ hours straight.

Especially when historically they're not even the best prices of the holiday season save the 50 or so people at each store who camped out to get doorbuster deals.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://i.imgur.com/UvrbpVA.gifv

:supaburn:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

evilmiera posted:

I sort of like it, but it seems rushed in some areas. Especially Episode 4, which just had me baffled.

I wish there was an easier way to find out who the writers are for Telltale games and in what capacity, because with how wildly the quality of their post-Walking Dead titles vary that seems to be the one metric that's most useful . Like how a lot of the Walking Dead guys left after season 1 to make their own games then season 2 fell off a cliff, or how Tales from the Borderlands was written by a lot of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse people so it wound up being great regardless of the source material.

The lead writer of Telltale Batman is a guy whose only other writing credits are a contributing role to Tales from the Borderlands and what looks like two lovely animated web cartoons I've never heard of. The fact that the guy who wrote "The Fart Knight Rises" for a show called Dick Figures is now the lead writer of an actual serious Batman game is really, really funny to me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
After a lazy Saturday afternoon of working through all the Boundary Break videos, low-poly versions of characters that you were never supposed to see up close are my new favorite thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

What the hell is Grimace supposed to be, anyway? Just a shape with arms?

The McDonalds characters being weird as poo poo makes a lot more sense when you learn that McDonalds basically plagiarized them from Sid and Marty Krofft.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

so hey there's a No Man's Sky update :stonk:

http://i.imgur.com/64F4vRP.gifv

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think it would be cool if the patch actually made NMS into a good game, if only as a balm to the people who bought it launch and couldn't get a refund. Especially the people who bought the Explorer's Edition from iam8bit, which inexlicably still has not shipped all these months later.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know whether to blame Imgur or Steam but their site has gotten so bloated that it consistently freezes Steam's browser and locks up the entire overlay in the process, making a lot of the community guides on Steam useless since they link to Imgur posts. Like, goddam does the modern web suck.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Real hurthling! posted:

If you like nms its ok

Youre not ok, youve got terrible taste but its ok to like what you like

No Man's Sky was a bad game and Sean Murray is definitely a pathological liar at best and an outright conman at worst, but the No Man's Sky thread in the weeks leading up to release when everyone had to try and rationalize how the people who had actually played the game were saying it was bad was some of the most entertaining reading I've ever gotten from this forum. . Off the top of my head:

-The guy who got a copy weeks ahead of time had actually gotten a copy of the E3 demo version that was unfinished

-When other people got early copies and reported similar results, it was because the online mode had been intentionally neutered to punish people who got the game before release date illicitly.

-When journalists who got legit copies directly from the developer were also reporting the same thing, they were obviously lying and making it all up in the name of getting attention.

-When the journalists started streaming gameplay to show that everything they were saying was true, obviously the fact that they were so lacking integrity that they would show footage of the game before release meant that they couldn't be trusted.

-When the release date came and the day-one patch didn't magically make the game fun and interesting they doubled down by swearing that the developer had totally never promised that the game would have online play or base building or huge creatures or faction warfare.

-When people pointed out that all of that was in the video that they were using to promote the game on the Steam, that boxes had shipped with a sticker hastily hiding the part saying it had online play, and CrowCat did his thing documenting all the times Sean Murray had lied to everyone, they again doubled down by saying that they were so cool and rich and successful that blowing $60 on a mediocre game nothing to them, jealous much poors? :smuggo:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/803378967843586049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/803393930998022144?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/803394984070311936/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm not really a big fan of multiplayer shooters but the way that EA and Activision's slapfight has lead to all their competing multiplayer shooters being marked down to half off within weeks of launch is awesome.

Really this year in general has been amazing for AAA games getting really cheap really fast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's bugging me that Bruce Wayne has his bottom suit button done up in Telltale's Batman.

Same, only Harvey Dent's goiter.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The actual cooking is more of a rhythm and timing and resource management game than something like Cooking Mama where you're lovingly mimicking the actions and stages of cooking. You're juggling several orders with different amounts of prep and cook time, custodial and managerial activities, and then doing light business management stuff at the end of the day. It's pretty intense!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Until the grappling hook was introduced I thought ACIII's forest parkour was the freshest and maybe the best implementation the series had. They were able to make fun and seamless lines to run through as opposed to the cities where slavish devotion to the real geography and architecture often leads to a million chimneys and attic windows getting in the way and interruptions from streets.

The recent "remaster" of AC2 tried to compensate for the slower and more methodical climbing of the older titles by cranking up your climbing speed, only it completely breaks the animation system in the process so Ezio is zipping up and down on one leg while his arms flap around. It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

also if you got the itch.io A Good Bundle they just added Nuclear Throne to it (no steam key)

A few games have also added Steam keys to the bundle, as someone who bought it with the assumption that since the store pages of games say you get a steam key for buying them and was subsequently disappointed when they didn't I hope that more developers follow suite.

• Locked thread