Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm playing a dumb rpgmaker game because idgaf

man dumb rpgs rule, I should start a new game with the ff6 randomizer but I don't know if anything it generates will ever be as perfect as this again:

johnny cash - a moogle named SUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

Or should I sit down and finally play Bloodborne for more than an hour and a bit

ImpAtom posted:

WoFF is a much cheerier game which I get the impression you need.

yeah bloodborne loving rules but it's extremely grim, even by souls standards

now is the time for you personally and for us as gamers to play happy games; why the heck isn't pokemon out yet

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
We named the dog Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Holy poo poo I am playing Final Fantasy XV. New demo out on Japan PSN and it's the demo footage we've been seeing.

everything you've been experiencing for the last 48 hours is an elaborate simulation, including the existence of a game product called "final fantasy xv"

here on earth-1, final fantasy versus 13 was just delayed until winter 2022

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
One of the reasons Dishonored is cool is that unlike most games with multiple endings, its worst/most badguy ending is actually the best and most satisfying ending instead of a thing you're supposed to work not to get.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Dark Souls, in my experience, has a weird and interesting arc for first time players that goes something like -

1) You start off and boldly saunter forth, mash attack buttons, don't use items, and get your rear end handed to you by normal enemies and the first, easiest bosses. You get hopelessly lost and miss obvious mechanics.

2) Those who stick it out become very cautious and reserved, paying attention to their surroundings, watching for traps and "bait", keeping their shield perpetually raised. This enables them to get through a lot of the game, even to beat it and enjoy it.

3) As you play more and more and get more used to it, you slowly start discarding caution and realize that parrying is easier than it seems, that you know the maps like the back of your hand, and that several things in the game - including at least one major boss - are actually easier when you practice calculated aggression rather than playing defensively.

It's a pretty neat thing to experience and to watch others experience.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I've played through the three games multiple times and still can't parry

To your credit, it feels a little different every time, and I think it's easier in Dark Souls 1 than the sequels because among other things enemy attack patterns are less complex.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Take him to see the vet, it could be something curable or temporary. I know it's scary, but you have to be strong for your friend.

Yes.

Also, it's really important you do this quickly. Unlike people or dogs, cats go downhill *very fast* when they stop eating. Something to do with their metabolism. Like a cat not eating for 24 hours should be treated as an emergency.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

i hate 2016

if final fantasy 15 actually comes out it will break the space-time continuum and open a gateway to hell, bringing 2016 and the entire human race to the end we deserve

we must do everything in our power to further delay final fantasy 15

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Well I beat Mother 3.

It rules.

Also a podcast I listen to (We Hate Movies) had an exchange about basketball shorts once in which it was suggested that some creeps wear them bc they're the easiest kind of pants to do stuff like jerk off in a theater in. Always beware of the huge basketball shorts guy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno why a combination of a small cover (to catch people just coming in for games) and drinks couldn't keep a barcade afloat. I've never worked at a bar, but the profit margins on liquor and wine must be incredible.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm this close to just pressing in the power button I swear to god

Fix it with spells? Dang do we have to walk you through everything

Also anybody else itt getting Pokemon tonight?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bob NewSCART posted:

What happened to the video game deal megathread

The deals were so hot that Big Gaming shut us down.

Or it's here I guess

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Bullet is a good dog, and my friend.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I liked mass effect 2 being darker and more upsetting bc mass effect 1 was this star trek future that had really unpleasant poo poo like cerberus and the genophage lurking on the periphery and mass effect 2 was very deliberately about forcing shepard to engage with and face that poo poo; it felt like a thoughtful sequel

mass effect 3 on the other hand, ew

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

I picked up Age of Decadence on GOG sale and just booted it up for the first time. This is the intro screen when you start your first game...

... I like this.

the dark souls of games that start with "age of"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

The totem Pokemon are like, actually mildly challenging and that's probably the most shocking element of the game.

I could see a kid getting wrecked by Mimikyu and the grass guy, they were way too close for me

I can't stop playing, the only thing i don't like about it is wild Pokemon call for help way too much

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've always thought the way to make a killer modern James Bond game would be to cop the basic play from Mass Effect or even Deus Ex, make it an RPG with a ton of dialogue and roleplaying and a gambling minigame all built on the framework of a shooter that allows for multiple approaches. You could even allude to the multiple Bonds/Bond is a codename thing by letting the player visually customize Bond (maybe even with presets modeled after actors like Connery and Craig)

If that's what Alpha Protocol is don't tell me because I like to be ignorant

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The Skylanders collapse is sad because they're basically the new Beanie Babies, parents spent literally thousands on their kids' collections (some with the mistaken impression that this would be popular for a very long time or that the toys would retain value) and now they're sitting on a ton of garbage plastic statues their kids don't care about.

I preordered Pokemon Moon at Gamestop for some reason, and when I went in to do it the people in the "trade-in" line were a working class married couple trading in like a hundred figurines, literally bags full, for a total that had to be less than the price of a single new game (they were at $20 after going through like half of them)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

tap my mountain posted:

Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

I don't remember which dude I managed to beat first, but I vividly remember playing a ton of Mega Man 2. I was never able to finish Wily's castle as a kid, and I loving loved the giant dragon boss in Wily 1.

I'd say prolly Flash Man or Metal Man, but I thought Quick Man was the coolest.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

My Grimer got poisoned but then "forced the poison out of her system because she didn't want me to worry"

Love you grimer :)

Snorlax, who is my friend, did this when I was fighting the E4 and it warmed my heart.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

Just chiming in to say that ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy followed by ME1. I do not like ME2. I know this opinion is an outlier but 2 changed so much of what I enjoyed.

I think you may indeed be the only person in the world who feels this way, which is cool. ME3 is such a clear gameplay iteration on ME2 while ME1 is the odd man out, so having ME1 split the two in half is odd, and the only other people I've ever met who do so rank ME3 as their least favorite almost entirely out of spite because they hated how the story ends.

I'd love for you to elaborate if you feel like it. Outlier opinions can be fascinating.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

Nier Automata and Last Guardian!

:iia:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

thanks, I was thinking of buying FF9 recently and that's probably cheaper than it'll be during steam sales

that's some friend

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

Is there any way any video game other than Goat Simulator is going to win this asinine category.

stardew valley, the zoo race

goat simulator deserves it tho

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, Undertale has a couple nice goats

Dogs are farm animals also

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The latest expac is the best they've released since Wrath of the Lich King, so I hope they stopped hemorrhaging subscribers as rapidly as they were.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Mists of Pandaria was nice.

I thought it was cool, but I was so burned out on the game and frustrated by Cata that it was also the only expac I didn't buy within a month of launch, so I barely got to experience it "as intended".

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LawfulWaffle posted:

These sales are killing me. In the last week I've grabbed Titanfall 2, AC: Syndicate, Mad Max, XCom 2, Jackbox Party Pack 3, Jazzpunk, and Trackmania Turbo, and that's just for the PS4 and to fill the gap until FFXV. I grabbed Brigador(?) on Steam and.that seems like good fun once I wrap my mind around the controls. Is it worth learning the game pad controls for it, or is m&kb fine?

The Square Enix site sale seems to have inexplicably changed the discount on the Final Fantasy digital downloads (possibly other things) from like 66% to 30% and I feel like I was tricked into buying FFIX, a good game I already own!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Wonderboy in Monsterland is an under appreciated Megadrive classic.

Yeah this is a good game.

NES: River City Ransom, Crystalis, The Clash at Demonhead

Also you said Square RPGs but if you've never played Final Fantasy 3 (NES) or Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) because you aren't Japanese and like JRPGs they're really good games for their respective eras.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

Act Raiser.

And the sequel, actually, which is hard as gently caress but a well-made action platformer.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yes how could that guy possibly live up to telltale's standards and do justice to *swirls wine in glass* the batman

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

WARNING: Hot Take below!

That Mega Man 2 Wily Stage music is extremely overrated.

gently caress you pal

3 is the best NES Mega Man, tho, it feels like the one where they finally refined the design of the original game to an art without layering too much nonsense on top, and it's satisfyingly difficult without feeling cheap

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FirstAidKite posted:

Another arc system works persona game but featuring persona 2 and 1 characters, including nyarlathotep who, for one attack, briefly turns into hitler to jab at you with the spear of longinus

Owns.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm preemptively saying sorry for making a crack some time ago about how if MVC4 happens this gen Disney and Marvel would probably ask Capcom to gut out all the X-men.

I didn't think it'd actually happen like that:

This would also probably rule out Fantastic Four characters. It'll be weird losing Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, and Doom in the same Marvel game

OTOH it means they don't have to try to balance Phoenix and her stupid gimmick!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

codenameFANGIO posted:

I personally like games where the gameplay is good and fun to play, and hate baby trash that is bad, and for morons.

I agree, with the caveat that I also like some baby trash

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
rear end Creed 2 is a good game

I agree with the wasted potential thing tho it's a great game concept, cool settings, good idea letting you run wack-a-gently caress over historical cities, but the sci-fi gobbledygook and the chore missions are terrible

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 30, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like the Black Flag DLC thing was similarly much more interesting than the base game. Didn't AC3 have one where you play in an alternate history where George Washington declared himself king of America?

It's like they're taking all the good story ideas that should be in their games and putting them in the DLC bc they don't want to alienate the Ubisoft Customer or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

FanaticalMilk posted:

You're probably remembering Freedom Cry which was an expansion for Assassin's Creed III that was also available as a standalone product.

Freedom Cry was the AC4 thing about slavery

It's kind of funny that we can't actually keep all these straight tho

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey, just dropping by tto wish everybody a good day! If your day has been going poorly, I promise that time will change all that and you'll be having a better day sooner than later :) Take care, friends!

Thanks FAK, I'm either going to start Final Fantasy 15 tonight or hang out with my friends, so no matter what I'll be broing out

• Locked thread