Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Today I learned that at least two members of Giant Bomb think that the eggs that they sell in supermarkets are fertilized.

What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I don't really have a problem with that.

What I don't like is all the newer pyramid heads having the new shape. You know, where it comes to a point in the front instead of being flat? The pointier version is a more traditionally aggressive shape, rather than the older "that's scary cause it's fuckin weird" shape.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Hey planet coaster comes out this month, anybody excited for that? I am :D

Is this a game about roller coasters with planets instead of wheels? Wait that doesn't make sense, the planets would still roll...

Is this a game about coasting a space-train around using gravity assists from planets?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh wow. The horse in Dragon Age: Inquisition might be the slowest-feeling video game horse I've ever encountered. Blegh.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I'm not convinced this horse is faster than running. What the gently caress is the point of this?

Edit: the best part is the speed/wind effect coming off you as you gallop at a whopping 5 miles per hour. It is faster than walking. By one mile per hour.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

the horse is pointless in DAI. you get no speed boost and can't gather mats while on it.

I'm glad I'm not crazy. I just got it and I was doing the "races" they give you and I was like... how did they decide to leave this in the game? Like, actual speed increase be damned, if it doesn't feel like you're going fast, what's the point.

I'm enjoying the game, but overall it feels like a game that would be really good in a world where Witcher 3 didn't exist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Worth distinguishing between story and premise. Something like Mario or Double Dragon has a premise but basically no story. Tetris and Mario Kart have no premise and no story.

And yet Tetris is being made into a trilogy of films, because their story is too big for a single film.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mariokart certain has a premise. The premise is "the characters from Mario games race each other".

Tic Tac Toe has no premise.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Watch_Dogs 1 was pure garbage. I have no expectations for W_D2. But on the off chance it's magically the Asscreed game we've been waiting for, that would be cool. It has a new parkour system that W_D1 didn't have...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

a lot of ppl are saying watchdogs 2 is better than the first but that's not saying much

It would be pretty impressive if it was worse. That's a really low bar.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And honestly, it could have been fun, if it didn't commit the single biggest sin that an open-world urban game can: have complete poo poo driving. There's loads of things wrong with the game, but the driving actively sucking and making me hate having to go anywhere in the game kind of trumps any misguided fun I could have with the rest of the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How long after his death do you think the Tom Clancy brand is going to persist?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

the kfc colonel has been dead for years and now they just have people dress as him

yeah, but he's basically a mascot, in a way that Tom Clancy isn't.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"(Real Players, not actors)"

"Today we're doing to show you a new game. But we're only going to show you half of it."

"It's the mullet of games"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I hate this. I haaateee it. I am of the opinion that you should not devote valuable space in your tiny little human heart to hatred of anything but issues that are most important to you but I can't stop itttt

I watched it without sound, so I didn't even get the bad part.

But...

How is that a game revealed this year? Those animations are seriously bad. A lot of them are probably place-holders, but still...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did Tom Clancy give a poo poo about video games?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

tom clancy is 100% a mascot. dude didnt even write novels for like a decade before he died but they came out anyway

he's a brand, but his image isn't used. I feel like "mascot" always denotes an image or visual representation. I 100% agree that his name is used just to sell things, but I don't think it's the same thing as a mascot.

I could be wrong, that's just what I meant when I said that. "The Colonel" has "his face" plastered all over everything KFC related.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

"Snake... I'm not a colonel anymore." - Roy "Sanders" Campbell, Metal Gear Solid, 1998

edit: "Snak... I'm not a colonel anymore."

It always takes me far too long to remember Colonel Trautman's name, because I'm just like "...it's Colonel Campbell".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think "Sea of Thieves" is a great title, because it gets to have a double meaning.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

Give me the Tom Clancy mascot platformer.

What does he collect? Nukes?

Ghost writers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

He actually knew the technical info on all the consoles and could describe it in great detail

This actually doesn't surprise me at all. He was a giant nerd. Conservative military fetishist nerd, but a nerd.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

I read a tom clancy book once and I liked it :shobon:

It was tom clancy's op force #1 or net force 1 or whatever it was called, I forget the exact name, it was dumb but an easy and interesting enough read

Oh he didn't write that. I'm pretty sure that entire series was ghostwritten.

Clancy does have some legit good books though.

edit: ^ that sounds fuckin awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

If you've read any of his books, they all have pictures of him on the inside sleeve or back cover chilling on an aircraft carrier wearing a jacket, avaitors and a ballcap.

Without those he'd probably actually be hard to recognize.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not really trying to dig on Clancy. His politics were pretty bad, but he wrote pretty great genre stuff. The Hunt for Red October and Rainbow Six are both really great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It being broken up into parts killed all my interest in it. I'm not loving paying $180 to pay FFVII remake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

That's an oddly specific price to be mad about when nothing has been announced.

Like yeah if they're all $60 that's bullshit. But I'd like to think enough episodic things have come out at decent pricepoints that they wouldn't try that.

I mean yeah I pulled it out of my rear end. I didn't realize it was going to be episodic. The article I read back when it was first announced made it sound like they were making a trilogy of "full games". Like that Star Craft 2 bullshit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

what if each part has 40 hours of gameplay

The Witcher 3 was $60, one of the largest RPGs ever made, fully voice acted. FFXV is probably going to be bigger than W3, and it's only $60. W3 has way more than 40 hours of gameplay, and I'm assuming the FFXV will.

More importantly, the original FFVII only had about 40-50 hours of gameplay, so what the gently caress are they adding to stretch it over multiple games? Bloating a game up and splitting into multiple games doesn't make it worth paying more for.

edit: Pricing aside, in general, I don't expect my FFVII nostalgia to be a persistant thing. If it was gonna be one game that I could buy and play and beat, I would probably get it for full price for the trip down memory lane. If I can only start it, and then have to get more as it comes out, I don't care enough.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You're right, I didn't watch a recent trailer. There was an IGN article in april that said FFVII would be "multiple full games" and that they were using FFXIII as their template for how it would be released. That's literally the last time I gave a poo poo about it. I didn't even know there were gameplay trailers out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also this South Korea conspiracy kind of sets a new bar for what might be a believable conspiracy theory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nancy Reagan wasn't an elected official.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow the trophies on Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition are garbage.

"Incapacitate 25 enemies with dodge counter" how the gently caress do I bot have that? I dodge counter all the time! Oh right because always immediately get the upgrade that makes dodge counters lethal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played RONIN? It's a turn-based action platformer. It looks ki d if neat.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, TR: definitive edition is done. Uninstalled.

Looking forward to the sequel, although a lot of people seem to be saying now that it's not as good, which is lame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Did you do everything? I just beat the storyline and I'm going back to do the tombs I didn't raid but the rest of the stuff I'm probably going to ignore.

Yeah, I played it before on ps3. This time I 100%ed every area before finishing the story.

Most of the collectibles are not interesting. The GPS caches shouldn't even be in the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Haha.

Haven't seen it yet. My biggest beef with it is that because of those sweet, sweet China dollars, they continue placating China's cultural war on Tibet.

gently caress China.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's also complicated, because the story of Doctor Strange going to Tibet and learning magic isn't like it's being respectful of actual Tibetan culture. So moreso than in most cases, this one is kind of blurry, since fetishism of vague eastern philosophy is probably better than misrepresenting actual culture.

It just would have been a great opportunity to make a statement. Like right now China is bulldozing Larung Gar, the largest monastic community of Tibetan Buddhist. The exact sort of thing that heroes like the Avengers would be against if they were real. Super heroes are supposed to be about sticking up for the defenseless, and I just think its sad that films about heroes can't bring attention to real injustices happening in the world even as they draw inspiration from its victims.

Doctor Strange being pro-Tibet would have been super cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

lol if you think any blockbuster will ever be anti-china again

Of course I don't think it will. It's just sad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I would imagine most people don't watch movies to be prodded at about how bad the real world they live in is for N reasons.

That's the thing, they wouldn't have to actually bring it up at all. All the movie needs to do to be pro-Tibet is acknowledge that Tibet exists.

Tibet does not exist, according to China. China claims it's just part of China. So if you want to release a movie in China, you just don't mention Tibet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love seeing Dredd kill people in the name of justice. Where does that put me?

Holy poo poo I never realized how much I wanted a Dredd open world game in the vein of True Crime.

Edit: ideally you wouldn't play AS Dredd though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking you would play another Judge.

So Deadly Tower of Monsters is neat. I don't actually like the gameplay at all, so probably not gonna finish it, but the whole concept is neat and the execution is pretty good.

• Locked thread