Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The horse in Inquisition does give you a speed boost but it's so annoying to control since you have to press and hold down the left stick while also moving that same stick to direct the horse. I did use the horse when I wanted to get through an area quickly and didn't care about picking up materials but you can also use it to cheese the game against fall damage, like if you want to get down a big hill quickly and not have to find and take the proper path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

GUI posted:

Every time I see someone's playthrough of Max Payne 3 I immediately skip to the Airport shoot-out. :madmax:

What's the timestamp for that so I don't have to scan through two hours?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Worth distinguishing between story and premise. Something like Mario or Double Dragon has a premise but basically no story. Tetris and Mario Kart have no premise and no story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thehoodie posted:

That sea is definitely made of water, not thieves

It's the mathematical "of", so it's Sea multiplied by Thieves.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MMF Freeway posted:

I think he counts as a mascot based on the fact that I know that he dresses like a fighter pilot despite not being sure where I exactly got that image of him.

Any promotional image of him you see is basically guaranteed to have him in aviators, or a naval baseball cap, or a bomber jacket, or some combo of all of them.

CJacobs posted:

Just like how Uncharted 4's subtitle, "A Thief's End", could pertain to like 3/4ths of the cast for varying reasons.

I thought it was because in a 3rd person game you're always looking at his butt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hm, I like pirates. Maybe I should watch that trail-----

quote:

Mm, nope.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Comic Book Guy isn't a perfect example, but it's a good one to bring up because you can tell that he speaks differently than the other nerd characters on the show like Homer's college buddies or the nerdy kids at Springfield Elementary and that difference isn't just about being nasally or high-pitched.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Okay, TR: definitive edition is done. Uninstalled.

Looking forward to the sequel, although a lot of people seem to be saying now that it's not as good, which is lame.

Did you do everything? I just beat the storyline and I'm going back to do the tombs I didn't raid but the rest of the stuff I'm probably going to ignore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quest For Glory II posted:

this is like an action movie, maybe the next shelter game can be like this

https://twitter.com/RobPulseNews/status/795373872451305472/video/1

Better than most action movies this year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Evening goons

Two friends of mine have gotten together and started up a series of videos discussing a particular level within a video game, and going into detail on what that level does for any given concept like atmosphere or pacing. Their first episode was on Gradius III and how it handles game design with pacing in mind. It's a pretty cool series and I'm plugging it here to try and help them make it big, so any cursory glances at all would be appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ggq9zLAYZ8

That was a good video! Funny that it came out now, as I just started getting into Strip Panel Naked, which is a fantastic YouTube series that does essentially the same thing for comic books.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Coincidentally also the pick-me-up line that Sauron uses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jay Rust posted:

How much fun would a stealth game with realistic guard AI would be? Like, if guards had actual human vision, i.e. see more than five feet away, with peripheral vision, and the ability to distinguish between the sound of wind blowing and the sound of their pal being choked by a guy in leather.

I bet it wouldn't be very fun

Part of the reason stealth in games has a completely unnatural noise allowance is so that enemy encounters can be closer together and more frequent. Part of the reason enemies can't see you from afar is because your vision isn't very good either. Yeah, with HD and next gen draw distances it might seem like you can see extremely well but compared to actual human colour perception, contrast, pattern recognition, field of view, peripheral vision, and movement detection, what we see in games is still rudimentary. We also can't move in games as well as we do in the real world. There is zero fine motor control. And it's all intertwined. I can't be expected to worry about the sound of my steps if I can't quickly and intuitively read the ground below and in front of me or make my character actually make true steps instead of the cleverly disguised shuffling that all videogame characters do.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For someone who's never played a DS game, should Bloodborne be any more intimidating than the Devil May Cry series?

spudsbuckley posted:

Finally getting around to playing Arkham Knight on PS4.

Probably one of the most fiddly games I've ever played and the Batmobile stinks. I want to finish it because I liked the other games in the series but everything about it is awkward as gently caress.

Curious what you mean by "fiddly". One thing I noticed was how there was a weird, small zone you had to be in to activate things. Like you'd think for pressing a button being closer to it would be a sure thing but it's possible to be too close.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

As someone who's played both, yes and no. Bloodborne is probably harder than Devil May Cry 4, but it's also got much friendlier controls and doesn't use the same type of combo systems.

Bloodborne also doesn't have the ranking system of DMC. So while I barely limp through DMC getting C ratings, there is no such judgement in Bloodborne. Getting all S rankings in DMC is probably much harder than beating Bloodborne.

Sounds pretty close to what I expected. The thing about combos is I have no problem executing them - I just have a problem remembering them. When the Arkham games came along and moved beat-em-ups away from combo memorization it was a god-send. It's why playing Transformers Devastation felt so old, moreso than the 80s aesthetics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

spudsbuckley posted:

There's that, there's too many gadgets, too many moves/different "systems" (fear takedowns, eject gliding, two different control systems for the car, etc), the map is too big and filled with icons.

I feel like if I take a break from it for a day or two I'll forget a lot of how to play it because it is really unintuitive.

Yeah, I get that. The game's a bit bloated with control features. Unleashing gadgets while gliding seemed especially frivolous.

The one thing that I kept getting caught up on until late in the game was being unsure how much stuff I could do. Because the game starts you off already equipped with certain skills and gadgets from previous games, but not all of them, and because I grew familiar with the stuff available in the upgrade menu, I would hold off on performing certain actions or try to perform them without unlocking them and that was frustrating when combos need every button press to be measured and sure.

Playing as the other characters was the worst form of that. The game says "here, play as Azrael for a sec" and I'm like "ok... so what can he do? Oh, he has exactly the same equipment as Batman for some reason? But you gave me control of Nightwing and he's very different."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Bloodborne has basically my ideal "combo" system. Where combos are just that, sequences of regular actions flowing together, instead of entering a specific sequence of inputs in order to get a discrete unique output.

Yeah, that sounds like the best. I don't need flashy finisher moves, just give me different attacks that have varying ranges, speed, directions, damage, etc. (even if it's just two or three) and let me string them together in the best way based on what's going on.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Harrow posted:

Trying to decide on my GOTY makes me realize I didn't play very many new games this year. Huh.

I play a fair bit of GOTY's, but usually in the year or two after.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The phrase of the day is "vagina texture".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Guys!

Broforce has Ellen Ripley in it! :D

I am so happy about this unlock, oh my gosh, I did not expect to see the most badass action movie hero in here. :D

I like her in the game. Her weapons are better than a lot of the guys'.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

Making sprites is my least favorite part of farting around with game design. I'm gonna make a deeply engaging RPG with an innovative combat and leveling system, and everything will be represented by geometric shapes.

And yet there will still be bikini armour.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How is the thread title not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwlYo8EYTWI

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Golden Goat posted:

Ah right I misread that, sorry.

Backseat gaming's a weird impulsive thing for me sometimes, Mc Elroy's nuzlocke runs are lately the only weird time it's been coming up. Luckily I stop myself for being a gigantic rear end and dropping a comment explaining things.

One bad case of backseat gaming for me was when I first introduced Dark Souls to my BF and I seriously was obnoxious about it. Next time he tried I let him do his thing and just helped if he asked and he got hooked this time. Then gave up when he got to Lost Izalith.

Don't backseat game folks.

Realizing in my teens that I was way too much of the "Let me do it" guy has stuck with me and helps me be super respectful and patient when being in an office and helping people do things on their computers. When I encounter people at work who are way too quick to reach for someone else's mouse and go "can I drive?" I always wonder if they played videogames with other people as a kid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I'll say about those game awards is that they seem to be pretty inclusive and quick on the uptake when it comes to the diversity of styles and new trends. Most VR games might suck right now but it's good they have a category. How long did it take the Oscars to consider animated films, for instance. Or how they hardly know what to do with popular films, comedies, or action movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The thing that seems funny to me about the Oscars is how it compares to the Globes. If you took an industry and I told you that there would be two competing awards, one done by people who work on creating the products in the industry and one done by people critiquing those products, which one might you expect to be the snobbier one?

Has any sports game ever actually had a tutorial for teaching the sport itself?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Shutting down! :toot:

I'm more tense than I was on election night.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I didn't see any of these or the other ones you posted. Could have sworn that the top of the sprite was a skull for a head and that he had epaulets on his cloak.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Link was supposed to be an elfish guy in a green tunic holding a shield, right?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gonna check out Overwatch this weekend. Played the tutorial with Tracer and 76 last night but the rest of the characters were unavailable. I'm assuming that was because the full download hasn't completed yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I played through the Mass Effect series I first chose Adept because why go for a gun-focused character that I could play as in a million other games and cover shooters? But by ME3 I got sick of my AI teammates and using my powers from far away and I ended up as a super aggressive run 'n' gun character using melee and shotguns and shields tear through enemies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can barely keep up with all the movies I want to see in a year and those are much cheaper and take less time to consume and I get free movies through a loyalty program so there's definitely no way in hell I'm keeping up with (read: buying) all the games I want to play. And if a game is only incremental improvement over the last one, I've learned it's better to just stay away and spend my time on something fresh.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deadly_pudding posted:

The Arkham stuff is way more of a comic/animated series game than it is a movie game. Shadow of Mordor is also total LotR fanfiction that just happens to share the movie aesthetic. I think the most recent non-Lego explicit movie tie-in game I can think of was Green Lantern. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's like some double-strength 3DS shovelware for whatever Dreamworks film you want, now that I think of it.

There was Amazing Spider-Man 2 from two years ago. I see it pretty cheap on the Playstation Store.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember really enjoying the game version of The World Is Not Enough, specifically the version that had you doing everything that happened in the movie. I remember there were at least 2 games made for that movie, I forget which one was the super faithful representation but it was really neat because I remember the bit where in the movie james is running away from an explosion and grabs a crane thing to zipline across and you have to do that in the game and I felt so proud figuring out I had to copy the movie.

Bond games are weird because at first glance the movies have all of the vehicle and gun action and set pieces that seem straight out of a videogame already so it should be a good fit but then that means having levels where you're switching up the gameplay several times and spreading your game development resources thin. One reason Goldeneye worked so well is that except for the one tank part they made the entire game a FPS. Stealth amounted to using your silencer. Melee combat meant using your judo chop. There was no flying, no gambling, no dialogue system, etc. Just shooting people.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I think the best 007 game post-Goldeneye is Everything Or Nothing. Just an overall fun and neat game, though I wish I had someone to play the co-op campaign with.

lol at Shannon Elizabeth being a Bond girl... but only in one of the videogames.

Not sure why I never played it. I remember hearing it was pretty good, but not... great? Which is kind of what I meant earlier. The games seem to be decent usually, but never all that popular or above the rest of the riff-raff. I guess when you stick to the Bond formula and world you have to try extra hard to make it inventive and exciting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

Everything or Nothing wasn't perfect but it was fun that it often had multiple paths through certain levels (not all levels) and the gadgets and guns and stuff you had access to let you deal with situations in a variety of different ways.

Also it's kind of funny looking back at it now because one of the stages is you chasing down Jaws and trying to stop him from flooding new orleans by destroying the locks with special nanomachines since the whole game was made pre-katrina

It also had very enthusiastic punching, apparently:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Is there any way any video game other than Goat Simulator is going to win this asinine category.

Cows in Just Cause 3?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Klaus Kinski posted:

I will be very disappointed if the Internet doesn't bond together to make some horrible hentai game #1 in every category.

You know that it'd be #1 and then the organizers would be like "Oh look actually it didn't quite make it by the end! There was a surge at the 11th hour!"

pre:
Title                      Votes
Uncharted 4                4,601,201
Fondle Me On the Metro     4,601,200

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

World of Warcraft is, what, 12 years old? Frankly the fact it's still going is pretty goddamn impressive.

drat. That means there are players who were born after it began.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lizard Wizard posted:

What games are you thankful for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Took me a second to go from "Hey, what does Miyamoto have against gay people?" to "Oh right, they're brothers."

(He still might have a problem with gay people, though).

• Locked thread